Saturday’s MAC Men’s Basketball Results

Updated 2/15/2014
Saturday’s MAC Men’s Basketball Results
Eastern Michigan 65, Toledo 44
Ohio 73, Buffalo 70
Bowling Green 66, Ball State 64
Western Michigan 68, Miami 55
Kent State 83, Central Michigan 75
Akron 62, Northern Illinois 54
Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments
Eastern Michigan 65, Toledo 44
YPSILANTI, Mich. ( — The Eastern Michigan University men's basketball team secured a victory over Mid-American Conference foe and MAC West leader the University of Toledo, 65-44, diffusing the Rockets on Hall of Fame Day, Feb. 15. With the win, the Eagles improve to 15-10 overall (7-5 MAC), while the Rockets fall to 21-4 (9-3 MAC).
The Eastern Michigan University E-Club Alumni Chapter, a group of former EMU varsity athletic letterwinners, welcomed seven new members into the E-Club Athletic Hall of Fame on Saturday. The Class of 2013 was honored at the Hall of Fame ceremony in the EMU Student Center on campus before being introduced at halftime of the game. The Class of 2013 includes: Dennis Betts (men's swimming), Earl Boykins (men's basketball), JoyAnn Clarke (women's track and field), Wondella Devers (women's basketball/track), Derrick Dial (men's basketball), Eugene Smith (administrator) and Donald Stewart (men's basketball and football).
The Eagles were led by the duo of Mike Talley (Detroit, Mich.-Melvindale ABT (Duquesne)) and Karrington Ward (Lockport, Ill.-Lockport Township (Moraine CC)), who poured in 13 points each in the win. Ward also came away with eight rebounds, along with Da'Shonte Riley (Detroit,Mich.-Detroit Country Day (Syracuse)), who tied his career-high in blocks with seven rejections. The leader on the boards was Daylen Harrison (Akron, Ohio-St. Vincent-St. Mary (Wyoming)), with a game-high nine rebounds.
As a team, the Eagles shot 23-of-53 for a 46.0 percent clip, which is the most efficient offensive output since the team took down Rochester College, Jan. 4, backed by a 59.6 percent success rate. The Green and White also boasted a 75.0 shooting percentage from the charity stripe, as the team hit 15-of-20 free throws. Defensively, the Eagles came away with eight steals and a staggering nine blocks, while forcing an additional six turnovers.
The Rockets were held to just 14-of-54 shooting for 25.9 percent, led by the pair of Julius Brown and Jonathan Williams, who also paced their team with 13 points apiece. Toledo was also heavily out-rebounded, as the Eagles picked up their game on the glass in the second half to finish with a 43-30 edge in boards. The 44 points were a team-low for the Rockets, nearly half of their season average of points per game.
The Green and White surrendered the first pair of points after Nathan Boothe found J.D. Weatherspoon open in the low post, but quickly retaliated and took the lead after Raven Lee (Detroit, Mich.-Romulus) hit a triple from the left side of the arc. A steal from Lee on the next Rocket possession allowed the redshirt-freshman to drive the length of the court for a fastbreak layup, giving the Eagles a 5-2 advantage.
While the Eagles' stingy defense prevented the Toledo wingmen from making a move to the hoop, the Rockets' perimeter game stepped up as Brown hit a three-pointer to keep the squad on pace with the steady scoring offense of the Green and White.
Holding a 10-7 lead coming out of the first timeout, Riley swatted a shot out of the hands of Boothe and into Lee's possession. The squad was able to take care of the ball on the other end, as Talley nailed a jumper with only a handful of seconds left on the expiring shot clock. The Rockets iced EMU's offense while expanding their own point count, and took the lead after Williams sank a shot from beyond the arc, flopping the score to 14-12 in favor of Toledo.
The matchup remained stagnant on both sides until eight minutes remained in the half, when Lee made a move to the basket to attempt a layup which was salvaged by Glenn Bryant (Detroit, Mich.-Oak Hill Academy (Arkansas)) and converted into a dunk as the Eagles still trailed, 16-14. The squad was able to pull ahead after Harrison hit back-to-back buckets to bring the Eagles up 18-16.
Toledo continued to put up numerous shots, but the aggressive defensive rebounding by the Eagles allowed the Green and White to control the pace of the game. As Ward fended off a pair of Rocket defenders in the low post for a pair of points, Toledo Head Coach Tod Kowalzcyk was forced to call a timeout in an effort to rally his players.
A pair of free throws allowed the Rockets to catch up to the Eagles at 20 apiece, but Talley and Ward hit consecutive triples to swing the score to 26-20 in a matter of seconds. A fastbreak layup from Jonathan Williams would give the Rockets' the final say in the half, as the Eagles left the court for the half with a 26-22 edge over Toledo.
The Eagles shot 11-of-25 in the first 20 minutes for a 44.0 success rate, led by Ward with six points and six rebounds. Harrison also chipped in six points for the Green and White. Defensively, Riley led the way in blocks, as the center rejected three shot in the first half. The Rockets were paced by Williams, who had a game-high seven points. Toledo was held to just seven made shots and a 24.1 percent clip, but held the slight edge on the boards, out-rebounding the Eagles 20-18.
The second half got off to a slow start, as neither team was able to score for nearly three minutes until Justin Drummond hit a pair of free throws to bring Toledo within two points. Two shots from the charity stripe by Harrison extended the lead to four, but the Eagles did not see action again until Lee came away with a steal and finished with a layup at 15:25.
The Eagles earned their largest lead thus far, 32-24, after Riley fed Ward under the bucket for a one-handed dunk. After Harrison craftily forced the ball off a Rocket under the Eagle basket, Darell Combs (Chicago, Ill.-Thornwood (Blinn)) found Ward on the left sideline for a smooth triple off an inbound pass. The Green and White's 9-0 run was halted after Matt Smith hit a three-pointer for Toledo, but his effort was answered back with a jumper from J.R. Sims (Fort Wayne, Ind.-Snider) to boost the Eagles to 37-27.
Gaining some confidence from the solid point advantage over the Rockets, the Green and White became more aggressive inside the paint. A drive from Talley was picked up again by Bryant for another put-back dunk. The duo drew fouls on their next moves on the inside to sink a handful of free throws to build the advantage up to 42-31 with just over nine minutes remaining in the contest.
Brown hit consecutive three-pointers to bring the Rockets within seven points at the 7:20 mark, but scoring on both sides slowed, save for a few free throws by the Eagles to build the margin back up to 10 points, 47-40. Going into the final five minutes in which the Eagles have struggled as of late, Williams hit a three to get the Rockets back on pace. In order to prevent the game from slipping away, Sims made a dynamic move from the right side of the arc for an up and under layup in the left post. A double-digit lead was reclaimed following a dunk by Bryant, which forced Toledo to take another pause in the action with four minutes to play.
The Eagles hit an offensive groove, as they smoothly sailed to a 21-point advantage when Talley muscled through the Toledo defense for two layups and Riley gingerly placed the ball through the rim on an uncontested hook-shot and picked up his aggression for a putback dunk to score the final points for the Green and White. The team ended the afternoon matchup with a 65-44 advantage over the MAC West-leading Rockets.
EMU will take its winning ways on the road for a pair of MAC West contests, heading to DeKalb, Ill., Feb. 20, to battle the Northern Illinois University Huskies before taking on the Western Michigan University Broncos, Feb. 23, in Kalamazoo, Mich. The Eagles and Huskies will tip off at 7 p.m. ET. Meanwhile, the Sunday matinee between the two in-state rivals will begin at 2 p.m.
Ohio 73, Buffalo 70
BUFFALO, N.Y. – The Ohio University men’s basketball team (18-7, 8-4) stormed back from a 10-point second-half deficit to surge past Buffalo (14-8, 8-4) and pick up a critical MAC victory Saturday afternoon at Alumni Arena.
Ohio trailed by 10 (63-53) with 9:47 to play but out-scored the Bulls 20-7 over the game’s final minutes to propel the ‘Cats into a tie for second place in the MAC East Division. It marked the Bobcats’ seventh comeback from a second-half deficit of 10 points or more this season.
The victory snapped Buffalo’s 10-game home winning streak to begin the 2013-14 season. The Green & White shot 48.2 percent from the field (14-26) in the second half and limited the Bulls to 40.6 percent (13-32) in the critical stanza. Ohio held Buffalo to just 25.0 percent shooting from 3-point territory for the game while making 9-of-23 (.391) of its attempts.
The Bobcats distributed 18 assists on 27 made field goals and made six steals in the contest.
Senior guard Nick Kellogg (Westerville, Ohio) posted 17 points on 7-of-14 shooting and added four assists, while junior forward Maurice Ndour (Mbour, Senegal) matched him with 17 points while tying a career-best with five blocks in the game.
Junior guard Javarez Willis (Homer, La.) started for the injured Stevie Taylor at point guard and dropped in nine points (2-5 3pt FG) and five assists in a season-high 38 minutes. Willis helped key Ohio’s late comeback, along with freshman forward Antonio Campbell (Covington, Ky.), who grabbed six rebounds and poured in six points in the final three minutes of play.
Senior forward Jon Smith (Grove City, Ohio) chipped in eight points (4-5 FG) and grabbed a game-high nine rebounds in 19 minutes of work.
The Bobcats posted eight of the game’s first 10 points and led 10-6 before the Bulls took their first lead at 16-15. Buffalo extended its edge to seven (24-17) with 8:04 to play in the first half before Ohio moved within four at 28-24 on an Ndour free throw.
The Bulls built their lead up to nine at 33-24, but the Bobcats closed the half on an 13-2 run to take a 37-35 lead into the break.
Buffalo re-took the lead 47-44 early in the second half, before eight-straight points from Kellogg tied the game at 52-52 at the 13:36 mark of the stanza. From there, the Bulls put together an 11-1 run to build its largest lead of the game at 10 (63-53) with 9:47 remaining.
From there, Ohio began its comeback. A 3-point play from Willis moved the ‘Cats within five (63-58) and a clutch triple from the junior tied the score at 63-63 with 5:14 to play. Ohio took the lead (67-65) on a jumper from Ndour, but Joshua Freelove put Buffalo back up one (68-67) with a 3-pointer with 3:27 to go.
From there, three big buckets from Campbell put Ohio up three (73-70) with seven seconds to play and a Kellogg steal on Buffalo’s final possession clinched the win for Ohio.
Ohio now returns home for a rematch against Western Michigan (15-8, 8-3) on Wednesday (Feb. 19) at 7 p.m. Pre-game coverage on the Ohio IMG Sports Network begins at 6:30 p.m.
Bowling Green 66, Ball State 64
Muncie, Ind. – Bowling Green State University head coach Louis Orr recorded both his 100th career win at BGSU and his 200th career win overall as a head coach on Saturday evening, as the Falcons used defense down the stretch to hold on for a 66-64 road win at Ball State in Muncie, Ind.
The win, which marks the third straight game in which the outcome came down to the final possession, pushes Bowling Green to 11-14 overall and 5-7 in the MAC, while the loss drops Ball State to 4-19 overall and 1-11 in league play.
BGSU overcame 10 Ball State three-pointers by shooting 43.8 percent (28-of-64) from the floor overall and outscored the Cardinals 36-26 in points in the paint, 18-8 in points off turnovers and 19-11 in second chance points.
Spencer Parker led all scorers with a game-high 22 points, while Richaun Holmes registered his sixth double-double of the season with 17 points and 11 rebounds. Holmes also posted two blocks to increase his season total to 71 on the year, putting him only two shy of last year's Falcon single season record of 73.
Guard Jehvon Clarke chipped in with 11 points and seven assists, while senior Cameron Black hauled in 12 boards to go along with eight points and two blocked shots in 35 minutes of play.
Ball State's Jesse Berry led the charge for the Cardinals, as he totaled 20 points on 6-of-9 shooting from behind the three-point line. Starters Franko House and Chris Bond each finished with 13 points, while Majok Majok pulled in a game-high 15 rebounds in the loss.
Bowling Green, who led for most of the contest, saw two straight layups from Majok and House over a three minute span give the Cardinals its first lead of the game at 48-47 at the 11 minute mark of the second half.
The scoring drought, which reached four minutes, continued for the Falcons as Ball State pushed its lead to five at 52-47, before an old-fashion three-point play from Black ended the lull for the orange and brown and put the Falcons down two at 52-50 with just over eight minutes to play.
The Falcons cut the Ball State lead to one at 55-54 on a rebound and put back dunk from Holmes and then once more at 57-56 on a layup from Holmes at the four minute mark, yet Ball State answered each basket with points of its own to stay out in front as time ticked down in regulation.
Down 59-56 with just over three minutes to go, Holmes hit a three-pointer from the left wing to tie the game up at 59-59.
After Parker hit a contested layup 30 seconds later to put the Falcons in front by two at 61-59, Ball State's Bond answered with a driving layup of his own to tie the score up at 61-61.
With a chance to retake the lead, Ball State's Bond missed on the free throw attempt to complete the three-point play.
Just over a minute later, the Cardinals' Zavier Turner hit the 10th three-pointer of the game for the home team to give the Cardinals back the lead at 64-61 with 1:20 to play.
On the next offensive BGSU possession, Parker was fouled on a steal attempt and went to the free throw line where he made both shots of a 1-and-1 to put the Falcons down just one at 64-63 with 1:01 left in regulation.
The defense stepped up for the Falcons late, as a Ball State turnover led to a go-ahead layup from Anthony Henderson with 44 seconds to play, putting the score at 65-64.
Ball State missed a free throw on the next possession, the front end of a 1-and-1, and Holmes grabbed the rebound and was immediately fouled.
With 21 seconds remaining Holmes missed the front end of his 1-and-1 to give the Cardinals life. However, on the ensuing play, Turner drove down the left side of the lane where he had his shot blocked by Holmes and brought in by the 6-8 forward who again was immediately fouled.
Holmes would hit the first free throw to make it 66-64, but would miss the second.
With six seconds remaining the Cardinals dribbled the ball down to the free throw line extended, but saw its last second effort shot not get off in time as the Falcons defense held on for the 66-64 road win.
For the second straight game, the Falcons flew out to an early lead, as BGSU took an 8-0 lead three minutes into the game on baskets from Black, Parker and Holmes to force an early Ball State timeout.
Bowling Green's Clarke would connect on a three-pointer from the top of the key to push the visitors lead to nine at 13-4 at the 14:54 mark, yet it would be the Cardinals who would use the three-ball effectively in the opening 20 minutes, as Berry hit one of three straight Ball State three-pointers to put the home team in white down two at 15-13 with 13:15 to go in the opening half of play.
Back-to-back buckets from Parker, followed by two layups from Clarke, jump-started a 9-3 run for the Falcons who took a 10 point lead at 26-16 on a jump hook in the paint from Holmes at the 9:46 mark.
The next four baskets for the Cardinals would all be from long range, as Ball State cut the Falcons lead to four at 32-28 on another Berry three-pointer with just over five minutes to play before the break.
Ball State used a 4-0 run late in the half to cut the BGSU lead back to two at 34-32, however, an offensive rebound and tip-in from Henderson late in the half gave the Falcons a 36-32 halftime lead.
BGSU held Ball State to 39 percent shooting overall (23-of-59) and forced the Cardinals into 16 turnovers.
The Falcons had 12 assists and only 10 turnovers in the win.
Bowling Green (11-14, 5-7 MAC) will return home to host the Rockets of Toledo on Thursday night, Feb. 20, at 9 p.m. ET in the Stroh Center. The game is scheduled to be televised live on ESPNU.
Western Michigan 68, Miami 55
KALAMAZOO, Mich. – The Western Michigan men’s basketball team turned it on late in order to win their fifth straight game, and the Broncos defeated the Miami RedHawks 68-57 in University Arena on Saturday. With the win, the Broncos improve to 16-8 on the season, including a 9-3 mark in Mid-American Conference play.
Austin Richie recorded 20 points on 4-of-7 shooting from the field, and also added a 10-of-12 night from the free throw line to post the game-high total. Shayne Whittington registered his eighth double-double of the season with 18 points and a game-high 10 rebounds, and David Brown and Connar Tava added 11 and 10 points, respectively.
The Broncos maintained their sharp defensive edge against the RedHawks, forcing 19 turnovers and holding Miami to just a 37.5 shooting night from the field. WMU won the battle on the glass with a 38-25 advantage in rebounding, and the Broncos shot 28-of-37 from the free throw line; by comparison, the RedHawks were only able to get to the charity stripe 11 times.
Miami briefly took the lead in the middle of the second half, going up 43-42 on the Broncos thanks to a three-pointer from Will Sullivan at the 8:47 mark. WMU took the lead back less than a minute later when Whittington tipped in a missed lay-up from Von Washington, and Tava scored on a fast break lay-up at the 7:32 mark to extend the Broncos’ lead back to three points. Whittington knocked down a 15-foot baseline jumper to make it 50-45, Tucker Haymond tipped in his own offensive rebound to stretch the lead to nine points, and the Broncos closed out a 15-2 run with three straight free throw makes from Richie to make it 57-45. The lead reached its apex with 40 seconds to play, with Richie again getting to the line after being fouled by Sullivan; he sank one of two tosses from the charity stripe to put the Broncos ahead 68-55.
Miami opened the game on a 7-1 run, but Richie helped bridge the gap with a three-pointer from the deep left wing to make it a three-point game at the 13:25 mark. Richie cut the deficit to just one point with another three from the same spot exactly two minutes later, making it 7-6. WMU finally pulled even with the RedHawks on a pair of Jared Klein free throws to make it 9-9, and Tava gave the Broncos their first lead of the game with a lay-up off the glass to make it 13-11. Whittington threw down a monster dunk at the 5:41 mark to make it a two-possession game, and put back a miss to give the Broncos a 17-11 lead. Brown capped the 9-0 run with a free throw make, giving WMU a 19-11 advantage with 4:37 remaining.
Richie continued his torrid play late in the first half, making a runner in the lane to make it 22-16 with 2:38 to play. Whittington added a pair of free throws on the next possession, and Tava topped off the short 6-0 run with a lay-up off a feed from Brown. Whittington converted an alley-oop to push the lead to 10 points, giving WMU a 28-18 lead; the RedHawks' Will Sullivan responded with a three-pointer on the opposite end, though, and McKnight made a hook shot with less than 30 seconds to play to cut the lead to five points. Brown tacked on a free throw near the end of the half to set the halftime edge at 29-23 in favor of the Broncos.
Kent State 83, Central Michigan 75
KENT, Ohio – Career nights by sophomores Chris Ortiz and Kellon Thomas paced Kent State in an 83-75 victory over Central Michigan on Saturday at the M.A.C. Center.
Ortiz and Thomas both scored 17 points and led a group of five Golden Flashes in double figures as Kent State sizzled to 63.3-percent shooting (31-for-49) as a team. The Flashes also found 14 points from Kris Brewer, 13 from Derek Jackson and 10 from Mark Henniger.
"We've been going really hard in practice," said Ortiz, who added six rebounds and made seven of his 10 shots, including all three of his attempts from beyond the three-point arc. "Confidence is going up and we knew we had to attack (Central Michigan), which we didn't do the last time we played them."
The Flashes suffered a 78-73 overtime loss at Central Michigan just last week when they watched a nine-point lead slip away in the second half. They were in danger of suffering a similar fate on Saturday after a 13-point first-half lead was trimmed to 35-26 at the break. And when the Flashes watched the Chippewas open the second half with a 15-4 run, they suddenly found themselves trailing again.
This time, Kent State had an answer. The Flashes quickly reconstructed a double-digit lead as Ortiz and Brewer both hit two long threes and Thomas added an old-fashioned three-point play on a driving layup.
Brewer and Ortiz converted a combined 7-of-8 from three-point range and Kent State converted 9-of-19 threes overall (47.4-percent).
The Flashes also did a nice job of handling Central Michigan's full-court pressure after struggling against the press last week in Mount Pleasant, Mich. Most of their nine turnovers came out of the half-court offense, and that number was half of their total in the Feb. 5 loss. 
Jackson, who played for Central Michigan in his first two college seasons, added to his 13 points by stuffing the box score with team highs of seven rebounds, six assists and four steals. Henniger, meanwhile, was a perfect 5-for-5 from the field in helping the Kent State bench outscore Central's reserves 27-18.
Thomas converted 9-of-11 free throws on the night and helped Kent State seal the win late. Central Michigan tested the young point guard late by sending him to the foul line over and over again in the closing minutes. 
"We need everyone to contribute to have our best chance to win," said Kent State head coach Rob Senderoff, whose team improved to 14-11 overall and 5-7 in Mid-American Conference play. "I've been talking about that since the start of the year. Tonight we got contributions from everyone who stepped on the floor. That was great to see. Now we've won two in a row and we need to keep building some momentum heading into March."
Central Michigan (8-15, 1-10) was led by Chris Fowler's 19 points. Blake Hibbitts and Braylon Rayson added 12 points each for the Chippewas, while John Simons scored 11. 
Kent State will go for its third consecutive win on Wednesday night when it travels to Miami University.
Akron 62, Northern Illinois 54
AKRON, Ohio – A career night for Demetrius "Tree" Treadwell helped lift Akron to a 62-54 Mid-American Conference cross-divisional victory over Northern Illinois on Saturday night at James A. Rhodes Arena.
Treadwell's career-high 25 points came with 10 rebounds for his 13th double-double of the season, including his ninth in the last 10 games. He finished the night shooting 9-of-12 from the field and 7-of-9 from the free throw line.
Quincy Diggs, Nyles Evans and Jake Kretzer each followed with nine points apiece. Kretzer added seven boards to go with his 3-of-4 performance from the charity stripe.
Jordan Threloff led Northern Illinois (11-13, 5-7) in scoring with 14 points.
Akron (17-8, 9-3) committed 17 turnovers on the night compared to the Huskies' 13, but outscored NIU 22-15 in points off turnovers.
To start the game, the Zips struggled with miscues and put up just seven shot attempts throughout the first 10 minutes.
Akron trailed Northern Illinois by as many as seven after the Huskies posted nine uninterrupted points.
The Zips would recover and use an 11-1 run to take their first lead since the opening buckets. Seven of UA's 11 points came from the line as a Kretzer freebie put the Zips ahead 24-23 with 3:01 left in the first half. The Akron lead would be 28-27 at intermission.
After returning to the floor, UA would hold on to its narrow lead before seven-straight points from Treadwell sparked a 9-3 run that gave the Zips some breathing room. The UA lead would be 49-41 with 8:40 to play.
Akron stayed ahead and led by as many as 10 points with 3:18 on the clock after a Diggs layup. NIU would cut the lead to six (60-54) with just over a minute to go, but the Zips would ice the game at the line.
UA is back in action on Wednesday, Feb. 19, when it travels to Buffalo, N.Y., to take on the Buffalo Bulls. The 7 p.m. ET tip is set to air on Time Warner Cable SportsChannel and ESPN3.