Falcons Top Broncos In Sunday's MAC Basketball Action

Updated 1/19/2014
Story courtesy of BGSU Sports Information

Bowling Green 69, Western Michigan 64

Kalamazoo, Mich. – Redshirt-junior guard Anthony Henderson drained a career-high seven three-pointers to pour in a career-high 27 points to help lead the Bowling Green State University men's basketball team to overcome a 15 point second half deficit and defeat the Western Michigan Broncos 69-64 at the University Arena in a Kalamazoo, Mich. on Sunday afternoon.
Bowling Green was 10-of-18 (55.6 percent) from behind the three-point line for the game overall, as the 10 trey's was the most in a single game by the Falcons this season.
The 15 point deficit was also the largest lead that the Falcons have overcome this season in a win.
The win is the second straight for the Falcons who improve to 8-9 overall and 2-2 in MAC play. The loss drops Western Michigan to 9-7 overall and 2-2 in the league.
Behind Henderson's barrage of three-pointers, fellow starters Spencer Parker and Jehvon Clarke chipped in with 13 and 12 points apiece, respectively, while forward Richaun Holmeshad 10 points, five rebounds and three blocks. Both Henderson and Clarke had four steals each, while Clarke also dished out a team-high five assists in the win.
Senior center Cameron Black hauled in six boards for the game, as he surpassed the 500 career rebounds milestone in the five point win. Black also had three blocks in 32 minutes of play.
Western Michigan's David Brown led the Broncos with 21 points, as he hit four three-pointers in the game, while center Shayne Whittington had 18 points and eight rebounds in the loss. Forward Connar Tava hauled in a game-high 11 rebounds, while he also tallied a team-high six assists.
Bowling Green took its first lead of the second half on back-to-back free throws from Parker at the 7:44 mark, which capped off an 11-1 run by the Falcons, to put the score at 56-55.
After the Broncos retook the lead two possessions later on a layup from Whittington, BGSU would stay within one basket of the home team for the next several minutes until a clutch three-pointer from Clarke with the shot clock winding down put the Falcons back out in front at 65-64 with just 1:33 to go in regulation.
On the next two possessions defensively, the Falcons forced the Broncos into a turnover and saw Western Michigan miss two straight free throws to keep the score at 65-64 with less than 40 seconds to go in the game.
BGSU got a key layup on an inbounds play with time ticking away, as a double-teamed Holmes found a wide open Henderson under the basket for an easy layup to put the Falcons up three at 67-64 with only 15 seconds on the game clock.
Two Western Michigan timeouts later, the Broncos' Brown missed a long three-pointer attempt from the top of the key to try in tie the score. BGSU's Holmes skied high to haul in the rebound and was fouled on the play.
The junior calmly hit two straight free throws with six seconds left in the contest to seal the 69-65 come from behind win for the Falcons.
Bowling Green got off to a hot start to open the contest, as the Falcons hit 3-of-4 shots and got four free throws from Parker to take an 11-7 lead with just over 15 minutes to go in the opening half.
Following a three-pointer from the left wing from Clarke, which capped off a 10-0 run and put the visitors in front by seven at 14-7, a quick second foul on Parker, who had six of BGSU's first 11 points, seemed to turn the tide of the contest, as Western Michigan countered with a 13-2 run of its own to take a 20-16 lead on a jump shot from AJ Avery at the 10:02 mark of the first half.
Back-to-back free throws from Holmes, followed by a nice spinning fast break layup from JD Tisdale and a three-pointer from Henderson over the next two and a half minutes knotted the score up at 23-23, only to see the Broncos run off 11 straight points to push its lead back to 11 at 34-23 on a three-pointer from Brown.
The Falcons ended the five minute scoring drought with a layup from Clarke, as the two teams traded baskets over the final two minutes of the opening half to put the score at 39-27 in favor of the home standing Broncos.
BGSU started the second half much like the first, as the Falcons used an 8-2 run to cut the Broncos lead to six at 41-35 with 17 minutes to go in the game.
However, Western Michigan answered with a run of its own, outscoring the Falcons 9-0 over the next three minutes to take its largest lead of the game at 15 points, 50-35, on a three-pointer from Tucker Haymond at the 14:33 mark of the second half.
The Falcons would find the hot hand in Henderson, as the sharp-shooter hit four three-pointers over the next six minutes of play to help erase the double digit deficit and tie the contest up at 54-54 with less than nine minutes to go in regulation.
The two teams then traded the lead, until four straight points from Whittington of Western Michigan pushed the home team in front by three at 63-60 with 4:14 to play.
Bowling Green picked up a long jump shot from Tisdale, a three-pointer from Clarke and a layup from Henderson to outscore the Broncos 7-1 over the final four minutes of the game, until two made free throws from Holmes in the final seconds completed the come from behind MAC road win for the Falcons.
BGSU outscored the Broncos 24-9 in points off turnovers, as the Falcons' defense forced Western Michigan into 18 miscues over the 40 minute contest.
The Falcons were also 11-of-15 (73.3 percent) from the free throw line in the win and passed out 14 assists as a team in the comeback win.
Bowling Green (8-9, 2-2 MAC) will remain on the road to take on the Ohio Bobcats on Wednesday night, Jan. 22, at 7 p.m. in Athens, Ohio.