Sunday's MAC Men's Basketball Results

Updated 12/15/2013
Sunday's MAC Men's Basketball Results
Bowling Green 67, Morehead State 61
Miami 59, Wright State 56
#24 Missouri 66, Western Michigan 60
Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments
Bowling Green 67, Morehead State 61
Morehead, Ky. – The Bowling Green State University men's basketball team recorded a first in 2013 on Sunday afternoon, as the Falcons posted a 67-61 road win over the Morehead State Eagles at the Johnson Arena in Morehead, Ky.
With the win, BGSU improves to 5-5 on the year, while the loss drops Morehead State to 7-5 overall for the season.
The road win was the first non-conference road win for BGSU since a 61-53 win at FIU on Dec. 22, 2011 and is the first overall road win for the Falcons since last year, a 57-41 road win at Northern Illinois on Feb. 6, 2013.
BGSU recorded a season-high 14 blocked shots, the third straight game that the Falcons have recorded 10 or more blocks as a team, and held the Eagles to 30.6 percent (22-of-72) shooting for the game.
All five starters scored in double figures for the Falcons for the third time this season, led by senior center Cameron Black's double-double of 11 points and 12 rebounds, his third of the year. Black also tallied a career-high five blocked shots, while Richaun Holmes, who had a game-high 17 points, matched his career-high with seven blocks for the second straight game.
Forward Spencer Parker and guard Jehvon Clarke each added 12 points apiece, while Anthony Henderson was the fifth Falcon in double digits with 11 points and four steals in the win.
Morehead State guards Brent Arrington and Angelo Warner led the Eagles with 16 and 15 points apiece, respectively, while off the bench center Billy Reader had 11 points and nine rebounds. Starting center Chad Posthumus had 11 rebounds, but was only 1-of-9 from the floor in 19 minutes of play.
The short-handed Falcons got an early jump-hook from Black on the right block to get on the scoreboard first to start the game, while a jumper from Parker minutes later gave the visitors a 6-2 lead with 17:36 to go before the halftime break.
The Eagles then took advantage of a cold spell from the Falcons on the offensive end, as the home team used a 16-4 run over the next eight minutes of the contest to take an eight point lead at 18-10 on a fast break layup from Warner with 9:09 on the game clock.
Turnovers fueled the Morehead State run, as the Falcons committed 14 over the first 20 minutes of play, which included three offensive foul calls.
The fouls continued to mount up for both teams as well, as the Falcons were forced to pull off the full-court pressure midway through the half, yet refused to quit, as BGSU battled back from down double digits to end the half on a 13-8 run to cut the Morehead State lead to four at 38-34.
During that spurt, the Falcons got free throws from JD Tisdale, Clarke and Parker, as well as layups from Henderson and Clarke to put the visitors in orange back into the contest down just four at 38-34 at the halftime intermission.
In the second half of play, the BGSU defense increased its intensity, as the Falcons registered 10 blocked shots and held the Eagles to only 9-of-35 shooting (25.7 percent) over the final 20 minutes of play en route to the win
The defense led to a quick four points out of the halftime break, as the visitors tied the game up at 38-38 less than a minute into the final half of play.
The next several minutes saw the Falcons tie the score on three separate occasions, only to see the home team score the next basket to keep the visitors from taking over the lead.
A layup by Parker at the 10:32 mark of the second half finally pushed the Falcons into the lead at 49-48, only to see a free throw minutes later from Warner retie the contest up at 49-49 with 8:34 to go in regulation.
On the ensuing possession, BGSU's Holmes took the ball strong to the basket and picked up an and-1 on the shot attempt, completing the old-fashion three-point play with a free throw to put the Falcons in front by three at 52-49 with just over eight minutes to play.
The play proved to be a difference maker, as the Falcons would not relinquish the lead for the remainder of the contest.
After a three-pointer from the right corner from Henderson at the 7:03 mark increased the Falcons lead to six at 55-49, the Eagles were able to cut the BGSU lead back to two at 55-53 on consecutive buckets with just over five minutes to go in the game.
Henderson would hit another three-pointer from the right wing on the next Falcon offensive series to push BGSU lead back out to five at 58-53.
Following a MSU three-pointer on their next time down, BGSU saw Holmes put the game away with nine straight points, including seven from the free throw line, as the Falcons' defense held the Eagles to only two made baskets over the final four minutes of the game.
The Falcons were 16-of-23 (69.6 percent) from the free throw line and shot 48.9 percent (23-of-47) for the game.
BGSU was outrebounded 47-34 and was outscored 30-28 in points in the paint by the Eagles in the win.
The win was the fourth straight for the Falcons over Morehead State, as BGSU improves to 6-3 overall versus the Eagles.
Bowling Green (5-5) will play its final home contest of the 2013 calendar year next Sunday, Dec. 22, as the Falcons will host Detroit-Mercy at 2 p.m. in the Stroh Center.
Miami 59, Wright State 56
OXFORD, Ohio --A career-high 16 points from sophomore guard Geovonie McKnight were enough to lift the Miami University men’s basketball team to a 59-56 victory over Wright State on Sunday afternoon at Millett Hall.
McKnight, who finished 8-of-11 from the free throw line and added a career-high five steals, was helped by a productive 13-point day from sophomore guard Reggie Johnson and a near double-double (12 points, nine rebounds) from senior forward Will Felder.
Miami (2-5) took a two-point lead when Felder was fouled with 33.5 seconds left in the game. The 6-foot-7, 202-pound Cleveland native knocked both shots down, giving the RedHawks a lead they would not relinquish.
After going back-and-forth, Wright State (5-7) had an opportunity to tie the game with a three-pointer. However, stifling defense from multiple RedHawks forced the Raiders to put up an uncomfortable shot that failed to touch the rim as time expired.
Miami ended the game 19-of-39 (48.7 percent) from the field. The RedHawks coughed up a season-high 21 turnovers, but forced 20 of their own.
Wright State was led by forward A.J. Pacher, who scored 15 points and grabbed four rebounds.
An impressive, hard-fought performance over a quality Wright State team gives Miami its second win over its last three games, carrying momentum into a difficult road stretch. It also was Miami's 1,300th program win.
The RedHawks will return to the court on Wednesday, December 18 when they travel to play the University of Missouri-Kansas City at 8:05 p.m. ET.
#24 Missouri 66, Western Michigan 60
COLUMBIA, Mo. - The Western Michigan men's basketball team stood toe-to-toe with the #24 Missouri Tigers on the road on Sunday, but the Tigers held off a late Bronco charge to defeat WMU 66-60 at Mizzou Arena. With the loss, the Broncos fall to 5-4 on the season.
David Brown scored a game-high 18 points on 5-of-18 shooting from the floor, as well as a 7-of-8 performance from the free throw line. Shayne Whittington recorded his fifth double-double of the season by posting 16 points and 10 rebounds, while Taylor Perry set the game-high with 11 rebounds against the Tigers. Connar Tava also added 10 points, doing so in 24 minutes.
For the second straight game the Broncos struggled on the offensive side of the court, shooting just 21-of-70 (.300) from the floor despite forcing 14 Missouri turnovers. The Broncos were out-rebounded 40-36 by the Tigers, but grabbed 14 offensive rebounds and out-scored Missouri 12-4 in second-chance points. WMU also led in points off turnovers, out-scoring the Tigers 13-6.
The Broncos rallied back from a nine-point deficit at the half, cutting into the Tigers' lead and very nearly overtaking their home-standing opponents. Whittington scored four of the first six points of the second half to slash the Tigers' lead to just 33-26, and Austin Richie knocked down a long two-point jumper from the elbow to make it a five-point game with 18:03 to play. Richie made it just a two-point game less than a minute later when he stepped into a three from the right wing to make it 35-33 at the 17:12 mark, but Missouri responded with a buckets from Earnest Ross and Jordan Clarkson to up the lead to six points. The teams went two minutes without a point until the Broncos pulled to within four points on a lay-up from Brown, and Tava made it 39-37 with 13:47 to play by driving with his right hand for the lay-up.
Charles Harris kept the deficit at two points with a three-pointer from the right wing to make it 47-45 with 10:48 to play, but Missouri embarked on an 11-1 run to take a 58-46 lead with under eight minutes to play. Whittington cut the lead to single-digits for good with a jumper with 6:14 to play, and Brown made it a six-point game with a lay-up at the 4:35 mark. Brown made a pair of free throws down the stretch t ocut the lead to five points, and Tava went around end for a dunk with 24 seconds remaining to make it 65-60. However, the Tigers played keep away well enough to halt the Broncos' progress, taking the game 66-60.
The first half saw the Broncos actually briefly hold the lead against the Tigers, with Whittington making the game's opening basket on a 15-foot baseline jumper and Brown draining a three from the right corner to take a 5-3 lead with 18:47 to play in the half. Missouri used a 16-3 run to take a 19-9 lead on the Broncos with just under 11 minutes to play in the half, but the Broncos battled back to cut the lead to six points after Brown made a pair of free throws after being fouled by Ross. Whittington hit a reverse scoop-shot lay-up to make it 21-15 with 6:19 to play in the half, and AJ Avery nailed a 15-footer on the baseline to cut the lead to just four points. Brown drove a fast break and laid it in with 2:12 to play in the half to make it just a 24-22 game, but the Tigers scored the final seven points of the half to take a 31-22 advantage into the locker room.