Saturday's MAC Men's Basketball Results

Updated 11/24/2013
Saturday's MAC Men's Basketball Results
Toledo 80, Detroit 78
Eastern Michigan 74, UT-Arlington 69
Kent State 102, Niagara 97
Central Michigan 90, CS-Northridge 76
Ohio 85, Heidelberg University 57
Butler 59, Ball State 58
Saint Louis 74, Bowling Green 47
Wilmington (OH) 65, at Miami 63
Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments
Toledo 80, Detroit 78
DETROIT, MI – Juice Brown’s three-point play with five seconds remaining lifted Toledo to an improbable 80-78 comeback victory at Detroit on Saturday evening at Calihan Hall. The win gave the Rockets a 5-0 record for UT’s best start to a season in 10 years.

Brown, who scored all 10 of his points in the second half, also tied the contest at 77-77 with 38 seconds to play.  Junior forward Juwan Howard then hit one of two free throws with 15 ticks left to put the Titans up 78-77.  UT then called timeout with 12 seconds to play to set the stage for Brown’s heroics.

Toledo trailed by as many as 19 points, 58-39, with just over 15 minutes to play and were down 75-66 with 3:28 left. Brown began the Rockets’ comeback with a three-point bomb at the 2:57 mark. Freshman guard Jonathan Williams then took advantage of a Titan turnover with a layup 20 seconds later to bring UT within 75-71. Toledo then forced a shot-clock violation and junior forward J.D. Weatherspoon’s jumper made it a two-point contest on the ensuing possession.

The teams then exchanged free throws on the next two trips up the court and Williams came up with a steal and Brown then tipped in Williams’ layup attempt.

Senior guard Rian Pearson paced the Rockets with 16 points with Weatherspoon tallying a career-high 14 points. Sophomore center Nathan Boothe grabbed a career-best 10 rebounds for Toledo.

Eastern Michigan 74, UT-Arlington 69
YPSILANTI, Mich. ( — The Eastern Michigan University men's basketball team continued its dominance inside the Convocation Center by coming out on top in a back-and-forth battle with the University of Texas at Arlington Saturday, Nov. 23.  The 74-69 victory increases the Eagles' record to 5-0, which is the first time the team has had a 5-0 start since the 1996-97 campaign, while the Mavericks fall to 2-5 on the young 2013-14 season.
The Eagles were led by the dynamic performance of redshirt-freshman Ray Lee (Detroit, Mich.-Romulus), who had a career night with 38 points, going 12-for-15 from the field, 9-for-12 from the free throw line and a perfect 5-for-5 on three-point attempts.  The Detroit, Mich. native's high-scoring output was the most points scored by an Eagle since Carlos Medlock put up 42 points against Akron, March 11, 2010 in the Mid-American Conference Men's Basketball Tournament at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.
Sophomore Darell Combs (Chicago, Ill.-Thornwood (Blinn)) contributed 18 points and dished out three assists, while junior Karrington Ward (Lockport, Ill.-Lockport Township (Moraine Valley CC)) dropped in 11 points, handed out two dimes and came away with one block and a steal.  Defensively, senior Da'Shonte Riley (Detroit, Mich.-Detroit Country Day (Syracuse)) led the team with seven rebounds and turned away four Maverick shots.
Arlington had three players post double-digit figures. Brandon Edwards notched a double-double with 30 points and 13 rebounds, while Reger Dowell scored 22 for the Mavs and Jamel Outler nailed four three-pointers to make up his 12 points.
As a team, the Eagles shot 21-for-44 from the field for a 47.7 shooting percentage while holding the Mavs to a 41.5 percentage, hitting 22-of-53 shots. Arlington won the battle on the boards, pulling down 34 rebounds to EMU's 27, but its 15 turnovers proved to be too detrimental for the team in the matchup.
UTA's Dowell opened up the contest with a three-pointer, but Combs quickly answered back with a pair of back-to-back triples to take an early lead with a 6-3 Eagle advantage.  Combs continued to be an offensive and defensive threat, as he came away with a steal off the Green and White full-court press and drained two shots from behind the charity stripe.
Ward became the second Eagle to help increase the lead over the Mavericks as he hit a mid-range jumper to extend the lead to 10-5.  Edwards helped bring the score closer after putting in two shots from under the Arlington basket, but Ward hit his first shot from beyond the arc.  A teardrop jumper from Jalen Ross (Greensboro, N.C.-Greensboro Day) extended the lead to 15-11, but a quick three-pointer out of the hands of Outler brought the contest within one point with the Green and White in command.
Coming out with intensity following a timeout, Lee sunk a three-pointer to extend the lead.  After the ball made its way back down the court, Riley rejected a Maverick shot, then threw down court to Lee, who drove down the center of the key with a highlight-worthy crossover to a hooking layup, drawing the foul for an and-one play and bringing the score to 21-14.  Following another Outler three-pointer, Lee made a move to the hoop once more and was fouled going up on the shot, but converted on his pair of free throws to keep the Eagles on the winning side of the scoreboard.
The Mavericks continued to battle back, scoring off a fastbreak play and a free throw, but the squad continued to take advantage of Lee and his hot hand, finding the redshirt-freshman behind the arc to sink his second three-pointer in as many attempts.  Daylen Harrison (Akron, Ohio-St. Vincent-St. Mary (Wyoming)) ended Lee's 11-point run with a jump shot, and Combs kept up with the speedy back-and-forth pace of the game by adding four of his own to bring the score to 32-25.
Olalekan Ajayi (Winston-Salem, N.C.-Quality Education Academy (Collin College)) pulled a board off a missed Arlington free throw and handed off to Mike Talley (Detroit, Mich.-Melvindale ABT (Duquesne)), who found Lee open for an uncontested jumper, increasing the lead to 10 points as the Eagles stood at 36-26 with five minutes remaining in the half.  Ajayi then showcased his basketball IQ as he leapt out of bounds to recover a loose ball and reacted quickly to throw the rock out of bounds off Arlington's Anthony Walker to give possession to the Green and White.
Edwards scored the next five Maverick points with a quintet of free throws as his squad attempted to inch its way closer to EMU's point count.  Quick feet and aggressive defense from Ross drew a charge with just over two minutes remaining in the first period, as Lee drew the foul under the hoop and sunk a pair of free throws.  Shaquille White-Miller found Dowell open for the fifth Maverick three-pointer of the evening, bringing the score within five at 40-35. 
As the final minute ticked down, Ross found an open lane from the left elbow leading to Ward under the right side of the hoop for an easy  two points, keeping the Eagles in the lead, 42-35, as the two teams headed into the locker rooms. 
Lee and Combs led the offense at the close of the first half with 17 and 12 points, respectively, while each going a perfect 2-for-2 on three-point attempts.  Despite being out-rebounded, 17-15, and shooting at a 40 percent clip compared to Arlington's 44.4 percentage, the Eagles were able to control the pace of the game for the majority of the half.
The Eagles found their first points of the second half as Ward broke away for an easy layup.  After UTA found its way to the basket, Eastern went on a 6-0 run highlighted by a Lee three-point basket and a Combs jumper as the duo continued to increase its scoring output.  Arlington sped up its offense, scoring twice on fastbreak layups and keeping pace with the Eagles, 50-44, in the first five minutes.
Lee broke the Eagles' 60-point threshold off a pair of three-pointers, nailing his fourth and fifth triples of the evening.  Edwards and Dowell scored the majority of the points in the paint for the Mavericks, bringing the score to 60-53 with less than 10 minutes remaining in the contest.
A deep three from Outler put the Mavericks within four points, but a buzzer-beating sideline jump shot from Lee kept Arlington from gaining too much ground.  Lee continued to expand upon his career night by converting on another and-one play off an up-and-under drive and draining a fadeaway jumper, building the scoring margin back up to nine points.
Not willing to go down without a fight, the Mavericks showed off their athletic prowess as Edwards and Dowell threw down back-to-back dunks, bringing the score to 67-62 with three minutes left to play.  Riley sunk a pair of free throws to give more leeway to the Green and White, but another Outler on the outside got the visiting team within three points.  With less than one minute remaining, Talley and Lee scurried to break the UTA press and Lee drove down the middle for a graceful put-in and brought the score to 72-67.
Lonnie McClanahan managed to sink a pair of free throws for Arlington, but a foul on Combs as the Mavericks tried to defend the inbound play gave the sophomore guard a bonus free throw.  After missing his second shot from behind the charity stripe, Arlington sped down the court to give the ball to Dowell for an attempted three-pointer, but a scramble to recover the missed shot resulted in another foul by the Mavericks, as Combs converted an extra point for some added security.  The clock ran down as the opponent remained scoreless in its efforts, closing out the game with a 74-69 score in favor of the Eagles.
The Eagles will hit the road for a matchup against No. 4/5-ranked Kentucky, Wednesday, Nov. 27, to wrap up the Keightley Classic.  The game is slated for a 4 p.m. tip-off in Lexington, Ky. and will be broadcast on Fox Sports South. 
Kent State 102, Niagara 97
KENT, Ohio – Kellon Thomas drilled six straight free throws in the final 20 seconds as Kent State's bench helped to hold off Niagara for a 102-97 victory in a track-meet finale to the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic on Saturday night at the M.A.C. Center.
"I'm happy we won, and getting three games in a row like this in three days of this tournament will serve us well when we get to March," said Kent State head coach Rob Senderoff, whose team improved to 6-1 after beating Western Carolina, USC Upstate and Niagara on consecutive nights. "We still have to get a lot better, though. Our defense wasn't great. We gave up too many offensive rebounds. But we still found a way to win." 
The six free throws by Thomas kept Niagara two possession in the hole during the closing seconds. Thomas combined with fellow sophomores K.K. Simmons and Khaliq Spicer to provide the Golden Flashes with a spark they desperately needed in the second half.
"We call our whole group of sophomores the Super Five Sophomores," said Simmons, who finished with 18 points and scored eight unanswered during a key stretch midway through the second half. "We preach confidence and stay ready all of the time. We know any one of us can come in and change a game."
Kent State watched an 11-point first-half lead slide to a slim 44-43 advantage at halftime. The Purple Eagles took a three-point lead in the early minutes of the second half before Simmons and Spicer came off the bench and flipped the script.
Simmons scored 10 overall in a 13-2 run that vaulted Kent State back into the lead for good with 11:23 to play. Two dunks by Spicer on pinpoint passes from Darren Goodson helped Kent State hold the lead through a pressure-filled final eight minutes.
"I saw our team in a jam offensively and I felt it was time to step up and be more aggressive when I came in during the second half," said Simmons. "We have a really deep team, so it could have been anyone. I'm glad I had the game I did, though, because this Coaches vs. Cancer event is very special to me. I lost my favorite auntie, Renee Livingston, to cancer, so I thank God I could honor her like this.
"Khaliq is so athletic, so he came in and did what we always expect with those dunks and (three) blocked shots. And Kellon stepped up and hit those big free throws."
Led by Simmons, Spicer, Thomas and Melvin Tabb, Kent State's bench came back to outscore Niagara's 37-29 after the Purple Eagles' reserves held a 24-10 advantage in the first half. 
The veterans were pretty good as well for Kent State. Mark Henniger enjoyed the best offensive night of his four-year career with 20 points on perfect 6-of-6 shooting from the field and 8-of-8 from the foul line. He also grabbed five rebounds before fouling out after 22 minutes.
Kris Brewer contributed 16 points, including three on a key driving layup while drawing a foul with 1:46 to play. Devareaux Manley added 14 points and Goodson scored 10.
Spicer added eight points, five rebounds and three blocked shots in 14 minutes.
Antoine Mason led Niagara with 31 points. His big second half kept Niagara on Kent State's heals. The nation's leading scorer didn't hit his first field goal until nearly 15 minutes into the contest. He finished with 12 baskets on 20 attempts. Ramone Snowden added 21 for the Purple Eagles, who fell to 1-4.
Kent State eclipsed 100 points for the first time since Nov. 10, 2006 against South Dakota.
The Golden Flashes return to action on Wednesday night when they host Youngstown State.
"With students leaving for Thanksgiving break, we need the community to come out and really help to give us a home-court advantage," said Senderoff. "We're both 6-1 and it should be another really good game."
Central Michigan 90, CS-Northridge 76
MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. – Central Michigan secured its home tournament title with a 90-76 win over Cal State Northridge on Saturday night. The Chippewas went 2-1 over the course of the three-day tourney, scoring 90 points in each of their victories.
"It was a great win for us and it's nice to be able to go on the road off the tournament,” said CMU head coach Keno Davis. “I think, overall, our performance I would characterize as having great work ethic and effort. We didn't always make the right plays, but we are learning and coaches can overlook some of the shortcomings if we have effort and we have attitude. There is no doubt that our team isn't short in either area."
Consistent shooting buoyed CMU’s efforts against the Matadors, making 14-of-25 shots in each half (56%). Tournament MVP Chris Fowler was not to be denied in the finale, scoring a game-high 25 points, including 17 in the second half. Three other Chippewas hit double digits including 15 from John Simons and 10 each from Blake Hibbitts, who was also named to the all-tournament team, and Braylon Rayson.
Cal State Northridge (3-3) started fast, jumping out to a 9-2 lead with just over three minutes off the clock. At the 11:30 mark, the Matadors pushed their advantage to nine points at 17-8 on a layup by Aaron Parks. CMU responded and then never looked back.
The Chippewas embarked a 14-0 run, sparked by seven points from Fowler, to build a five-point lead at 22-17. Three pointers on four consecutive possessions, two from Josh Kozinski and two from Simons, upped that advantage to 10 at 36-26 with 3:38 left to play in the half. CMU finished the half strong, including a three-pointer from Hibbitts as time dwindled down, and took a 44-32 lead into the locker room at halftime. 
Central Michigan (3-3) came out firing from the break raining down threes, netting four from four different players to increase its lead to 20 at 59-39 less than five minutes into the second half.
CSUN didn’t make a shot from the field for nearly six minutes but managed to not let the game get completely out-of-hand by getting to the foul line. The Matadors scored 12 straight points from the charity stripe before a tip-in by Stephan Hicks with 8:34 remaining ended the stretch.
Meanwhile, Fowler was taking the game over, putting the Chippewas on his back down the stretch. With Cal State Northridge applying pressure to try to force turnovers, he generated points by driving to the bucket for layups and by getting to the foul line. Fowler scored 10 straight for CMU, six off layups and four off free throws. He finished the game making 9-of-10 foul shots.
After DeAndray Buckley made two free throws and Hibbitts downed a jumper, a three pointer from Fowler with 3:50 remaining was a dagger to CSUN, pushing the Chippewas lead to 17 at 82-65.
With a sizeable lead and with CMU making its free throws late in the game, Cal State Northridge never had the opportunity to mount a comeback and the Chippewas took the game and the tournament crown.
Stephan Hicks led Cal State Northridge with 22 points while Parks added 17 and Stephen Maxwell chipped in 14 points and seven rebounds. Hicks and Maxwell were named to the all-tournament team.
The Chippewas will head back on the road next week, traveling to face Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (3-3) on Tuesday, Nov. 26 at 8 p.m. ET at the Islanders’ American Bank Center. CMU will return home on Saturday, Nov. 30, hosting Jacksonville State (1-5) in a 7 p.m. contest in McGuirk Arena. 
Central Michigan men’s basketball is on Twitter. Follow head coach Keno Davis (@CoachKenoDavis) and the program’s official Twitter account (@CMUMensBBall) to get insider news and information and team updates. The Chippewas are also on Facebook at
Ohio 85, Heidelberg University 57
ATHENS, Ohio - The Ohio University basketball team (4-1) posted a season high point total en route to an 85-57 defeat of visiting Heidelberg (1-2) Saturday afternoon inside the Convocation Center.
After falling behind in the first few minutes of the game, the Bobcats put together a 14-4 run to lead the Student Princes 38-29 at the end of the first half. Ohio then put together a 27-8 surge in the second half to put the game out of reach.
After opening with a 42.9 field goal percentage (15-35) in the first half, Ohio continued to improve in the second half, putting together a 60.7 percent clip (17-28) to ensure the win. The Bobcats held Heidelberg to a 32.7 percent (18-55) shooting effort from the floor, including a 34.5 percent (10-29) mark from behind the arc.
The Bobcats moved the ball well in the contest, distributing a season-high 26 assists on 32 field goals. The strong passing effort helped Ohio put together a 44-12 edge in points in the paint. Ohio also forced 16 Heidelberg turnovers which led to a 19-5 edge in points off turnovers in the game.
Ohio also enjoyed a season best +19 rebounding margin (48-29) in the contest. Senior guard Nick Kellogg (Westerville, Ohio) led Ohio with 18 points (4-6 3pt FG) and six rebounds, while senior forward Jon Smith (Grove City, Ohio) posted a career high 17 points to pace the `Cats in the 28-point victory.
Senior guard/forward Ricardo Johnson (Covington, Ky.) chipped in 13 points and added a career-best eight rebounds in 27 minutes on the floor, while junior forward Maurice Ndour (Mbour, Senegal) grabbed a season-best 11 rebounds to go along with four points, four assists and three blocks in the game.
Junior guard Stevie Taylor notched a game-high seven assists to go along with four points, while senior guard/forward T.J. Hall (Gainesville, Fla.) posted a season-high 12 points on 5-of-6 shooting off the bench.
Heidelberg held an early 11-7 edge in the contest and led 24-22 at the 9:02 mark of the first half. From there, Ohio put together a 14-0 run to race ahead of the Student Princes by 12 (36-24) with 3:56 to play in the stanza. Ohio entered the break ahead by nine (38-29).
The Berg closed within three points (45-42) five minutes in the second half, but at that point, Ohio put together that 27-8 spurt, including 12 points from Kellogg, that moved Ohio in front by 23 (70-47). In all, the Bobcats closed the game on a 40-15 run.
Ohio returns to action Tuesday (Nov. 26) with a 7 p.m. contest against Mercer (4-2) inside the Convocation Center. Pre-game coverage on the Ohio IMG Sports Network begins at 6:30 p.m.
Butler 59, Ball State 58
MUNCIE, Ind. -- The Ball State men’s basketball team led Butler by 11 points early in the second half Saturday, but the Bulldogs rallied to escape with a 59-58 win.
A potential game-winning layup from Ball State’s Zavier Turner in the closing seconds hit the front of the rim and the remaining time ticked off the clock.
Senior center Majok Majok led all players with 15 points and 11 rebounds for his second straight double-double, and Chris Bond added 14 points for Ball State (2-2)  in front of 6,015 fans at Worthen Arena.
Turnovers derailed the Cardinals’ chances of defeating their in-state rival in the 105th meeting between the teams and the first with Butler (4-0) as a member of the Big East. Ball State’s 17 turnovers led to 23 points, and three of those plays came during a crucial Butler run in the second half.
After a pair of Elijah Brown free throws cut Ball State’s lead to 42-33, the Cardinals turned the ball over on three straight possessions. Butler turned all three of those steals into points in transition and then tacked on a 3-pointer from Alex Barlow to cap an 11-0 run and tie the game at 42 with 11 minutes left.
“They’re a good team,” Ball State coach James Whitford said. “They’re very good on defense. They challenged us on that end, and it was our lack of execution on offense in the second half that I thought, at the end of the day, put them in position to win the game.”
Ball State briefly re-gained the lead on a basket from Majok, but the Bulldogs answered with a 3-pointer from Brown and never trailed again. Butler led by as many as six points, but Ball State didn’t go away. A 3-pointer from Jesse Berry brought the Cardinals within three at the 3:22 mark, and a trey from Mark Alstork cut the lead to 59-58 with 1:20 left.
Alstork’s 3 proved to be the final basket of the game. Butler’s Khyle Marshall missed a pair of free throws with 12 seconds left to give the Cardinals a look at the win, but Turner’s driving attempt wouldn’t fall.
Despite the loss, Ball State turned in its best defensive performance of the young season in limiting Butler to just 35.5 percent shooting for the game.
The Cardinals held Butler’s leading scorer Kellen Dunham to eight points on 2-of-13 shooting, but four other Bulldogs scored in double figures. Marshall led Butler with 14 points, while Kameron Woods scored 12 and grabbed 10 rebounds. Brown finished with 13 points, all in the second half, and Barlow added 10.
“Our defense was great,” Whitford said. “It’s the best we’ve defended so far. I thought we did a great job on Kellen Dunham, and I’m proud of our team for how hard we fought. Our will to compete, I think, really stands out.”
Turner scored eight points for Ball State, all in the first half, and hit a 3-pointer just before halftime to cap an 8-1 run and send the Cardinals to the locker room up 30-23. They then extended their lead to 42-31 just more than six minutes into the second half before Butler started its comeback.
“What I told them in the locker room was we were inches away from winning this game, and had we done that, all wouldn’t be great. We lost a tough game, and all is not lost. We’re a good team that’s getting better, and our job is to stay on that path and keep moving in that direction.”
After three straight at home, Ball State will now go on the road for a pair of contests during Thanksgiving week. The Cardinals will play Wednesday at Utah and then travel back East to play Saturday at Cleveland State before returning to Muncie to host Valparaiso on Dec. 4.
Saint Louis 74, Bowling Green 47
Saint Louis, Mo. – Bowling Green State University men's basketball team got 13 points from sophomore forward Spencer Parker, yet it was not enough as Saint Louis defeated the Falcons 74-47 on Saturday night at the Chaifetz Arena in Saint Louis, Mo.
Bowling Green falls to 1-3 overall on the season and 0-2 on the road, while Saint Louis remains unbeaten at 5-0. The loss snaps BGSU's winning streak over the Billikens at four games.
Parker, who posted double digit points for the fourth straight game, led the way with 13 points, while Richaun Holmes and Anthony Henderson each chipped in with nine points apiece on what was a tough shooting night for the Falcons. Center Cameron Black hauled in eight rebounds, while Henderson and JD Tisdale each tallied multiple steals on the night.
However, the Falcons could not overcome its 18 turnovers, a season-high, which led to 18 Saint Louis points.
The Billikens had three players in double figures in Dwayne Evans with 14 points, while Tanner Lancona and Mike McCall, Jr. finished with 12 and 11 points each, respectively. The Saint Louis bench outscored the Falcons' 33-8 over the 40 minute contest.
In a fast-paced start that saw both teams struggle from the floor offensively off of the opening tip, the Falcons found themselves down 4-1 on a free throw from Henderson at the 15:45 mark of the first half.
The Falcons overcame the slow start, in which BG was 0-of-6 shooting to start the game, to cut into an 11-3 Billikens' lead with a 6-2 run, capped off by a junior guard Jehvon Clarke layup, to put the visitors down just four at 13-9 with 9:16 to play in the opening half.
After cutting the Saint Louis lead to three at 19-16 on an offensive rebound and put back basket by Black and then once more at 22-19 on an old-fashion three-point play from Tisdale with 4:30 on the game clock, the Billikens answered with a three-pointer from Austin McBroom to jump-start a 7-0 run to finish the half out and take a 29-19 lead into the break.
Bowling Green started the second half with a follow up tip-in by Holmes to cut the Billikens lead to single digits at 29-21, yet the home team answered with an 8-0 run to pull out to a 16 point lead at 37-21 with 16:44 to go in the contest.
Less than 30 seconds later, back-to-back layups by Clarke and Henderson in a 10 second stretch put the visitors down just 12 at 37-25.
That would be as close as the Falcons would get, as the Billikens, who shot 60 percent (18-of-30) from the floor overall in the second half, continued to pull away pushing its lead out to 21 at 50-29 with 11:32 to go in the game.
BGSU continued to get points from Parker, Holmes and senior Craig Sealey, yet the deficit proved to be too large as the Billikens ran away with the 74-47 win.
BG shot just 33.3 percent (18-of-54) from the field for the game, while Saint Louis, who was 18-of-30 for 60 percent in the second half, was 30-of-64 (46.9 percent) overall from the floor.
Bowling Green (1-3) will return to action on Tuesday afternoon, Nov. 26, as the Falcons will take on the Presbyterian College Blue Hose at 12:30 p.m. ET in the first game of the Mayan Division of the 2013 Cancun Challenge in Cancun, Mexico.
Wilmington (OH) 65, at Miami 63
OXFORD, Ohio – The Miami University men’s basketball team fell 65-63 to Wilmington College on Saturday afternoon inside Millett Hall. The teams exchanged leads throughout the game before the Quakers went on an 18-4 run down the final stretch to capture the upset victory.
Miami came out of the gate strong, posting an 8-0 run to start the game. Senior forward Will Felder capped off that run with a slam dunk with 17:48 remaining in the first half.
The two sides exchanged points for the next several minutes until Miami led 17-12 with 14:07 remaining in the first half. Miami went on a 9-0 run after that, sparked by a three-pointer and two made free-throws from freshman forward Joshua Oswald.
Over the remainder of the first half, the Quakers stuck around the RedHawks due primarily to their strong perimeter shooting. Wilmington made seven 3-pointers during the final 10 minutes of the first half.
Over the span of about three minutes, Wilmington had a 13-0 run that tied the game at 39 apiece with 1:31 remaining in the first half. Senior guard Quinten Rollins then made a layup to send the RedHawks into halftime with a narrow 41-39 advantage.
Both teams traded points as the second half began until Wilmington took their first lead of the game with the score set at 47-45 with 15:32 remaining in the contest.
Miami immediately took control of the game, going on a 14-0 scoring spree to gain a 59-47 RedHawk lead. Felder notched six points during that span.
Wilmington responded with a 16-3 run to give them a one-point lead over the Red and White. With time winding down, the RedHawks were forced to foul. The Quakers made two throws and then fouled Miami’s Rollins. Rollins made one of two free throws to close within two of the Quakers. A last-second 3-point attempt from Will Felder did not go in and Wilmington preserved the win.
Felder notched the team’s first double-double of the season with his 19 points and 11 rebounds. Rollins matched career highs with 18 points and 7 rebounds. Rollins had five steals which marked the seventh time he has had five or more steals in a single game.
Miami returns to action on Tuesday, Dec. 3 when they host IPFW. That contest tips off at 7 p.m. inside Millett Hall.