Kent State, Western Michigan Post Wins Monday Night

Updated 11/12/2013
Monday's MAC Men's Basketball Results
Kent State 81, Temple 77
Western Michigan 63, Tennessee State 52
St. Mary's 85, Akron 63
Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments
Kent State 81, Temple 77
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Kent State handled several runs by Temple and overcame the early nerves that come with playing in front of a national television audience on ESPN's Tip-Off Marathon to shock the Owls 81-77 in the Liacouras Center.
"This was a great win for us. That goes without saying," said Kent State head coach Rob Senderoff, whose Golden Flashes improved to 2-0. "Any time you beat Temple, which is a team with so much tradition, with a coach like Fran Dunphy, who is one of the best coaches in the business, it is a great win. They don't lose very often on their home floor."
After trailing by as many as 10 points early and by eight in the opening minutes of the second half, the Golden Flashes battled back to take a 70-69 advantage with 4:35 to play on a layup by Mark Henniger. A clutch basket and a charge taken by Kris Brewer in the closing minutes helped the Flashes hold on to the lead the rest of the way.
Before floating in layup with 1:14 to play, his first  field goal of the night. He then stood his ground draw a foul on Cummings with 20 seconds to play. After a steal in the backcourt, Cummings appeared to be heading for a layup that would have cut Kent State's 77-73 lead to just two points.
"I'm proud of Kris for being able to shake off what wasn't a great game for him and to be able to come up with two big plays at the end of the game that saved it," said Rob Senderoff. "If he had not taken the charge, I don't know what happens down the stretch. That's leadership being able to make plays like that when he hadn't been playing well."
The Flashes watched several other leaders step up down the stretch. Derek Jackson led the Kent State for the second game in a row with 17 points. He added six rebounds and connected on 3-of-4 from three-point range, including a buzzer-beater three-pointer at the first-half buzzer to trim Temple's lead to 42-38 at the break. The Owls had scored seven straight before Jackson's three three stemmed momentum just before halftime. 
"This was our first road game and national TV is a big stage," said Jackson. "It took some time for everyone to get comfortable ... but after a few minutes had come and gone, we were fine." 
Devareaux Manley matched Jackson's 17 points, bouncing back from a tough-shooting night in Friday's season opener to hit 5-of-9 from the field and 3-of-6 from three-point range. He also hit four free throws in the closing minute to help the Flashes secure the victory 
When the Owls threatened to blow the game open early in the second half, sophomore Kellen Thomas came off and kept Kent State's hopes alive with several key baskets. Thomas finished with 11 points on 4-of-6 shooting.
Senior Darren Goodson shot just 4-for-13 shooting while scoring 12 points. But while his shots weren't falling, he set up his teammates for open jumpers with inside-out passes that led to four assists. Goodson also matched Jackson for a team-high six rebounds.
A 2-3 zone late forced Temple into some contested threes. The Owls made just 5-of-19 from the arc compared to Kent State's 11-for-22.
"We were going to have to give something up," said Senderoff. "In the first half we gave up so many layups on penetration or rolling to the basket. Or we'd send Cummings to the foul line. Given the choice in the second half, we decided to try to shrink the floor and make them have to penetrate and shoot as many contested jumpers as we can."
Cummings led Temple with 17 points. Anthony Lee added 16 points and 11 rebounds for the Owls, who dropped to 1-1. 
Kent State travels to Seton Hall on Wednesday before opening up a seven-game homestand on Sunday against Saint Peter's
Western Michigan 63, Tennessee State 52
HONOLULU, Hawaii - The Western Michigan men's basketball team led from post-to-post in the final game of the Rainbow Classic, taking an early lead on Tennessee State and never letting go in winning 63-52 over the Tigers. With the win, the Broncos improve to 2-1 on the season.
Shayne Whittington made his return to the Broncos' line-up and immediately paid dividends, finishing with 14 poitnts and a game-high 12 rebounds for his first double-double of the season. David Brown tied for the game-high with 17 points while also adding three assists and two steals, and Connar Tava finished just behind him by scoring 16 points of 7-of-11 shooting. The Broncos held the Tigers to just 31.7 percent shooting from the field, including a 3-of-23 (.130) mark from three-point range.
The tone was set early in the first half, with the Broncos opening on a 7-0 run to take the lead for good in the game. Whittington notched the first four points of the game, scoring on a right-handed hook shot to give WMU a 4-0 lead at the 18:48 mark. Brown drilled a three-pointer from just outside the key to cap the run, giving the Broncos a 7-0 lead at the 16:48 mark of the first half. Brown nailed another three at the 13:01 mark to extend the lead to 10-3, and Von Washington stretched it out to eight points with a trey from the right corner to make it 17-9 with 8:00 remaining.
The Tigers pulled to within four points when M.J. Rhett scored on a lay-up to make it 23-19, but Tava scored on a lay-up with 3:47 remaining in the first half to stop the bleeding. Richie sunk a pair of free throws with 3:28 remaining to make it an eight-point game, and Tava made a lay-up with 47 seconds remaining to give the Broncos a 31-21 lead entering the locker room at half.
WMU did not let up entering the second half, with Whittington throwing down a dunk to open the scoring in the period and Brown scoring foru straight points to put the Broncos' ahead 42-25, their biggest lead of the game. The Tigers went on a 12-0 run to pull within five points with 10:29 remaining and looked to be seizing momentum, but Richie drilled a three to make it 47-37 with 8:53 remaining. Richie scored six straight points, in fact, and Brown hit a pair of free throws with 5:03 remaining to give WMU a 54-41 lead in the game. The Tigers had one more good run in them, though, pulling to within four points with 2:07 remaining on a Ugo Mmonu lay up. Tava scored on a three-point play on the and-one to make it 59-52, and Richie scored three straight points down the stretch to give WMU a 63-52 win.
St. Mary's 85, Akron 63
MORAGA, Calif. – The Akron Zips, playing in their first ESPN Tip-Off Marathon event, fell 85-73 to Saint Mary's on Tuesday morning at McKeon Pavilion.
Demetrius "Tree" Teadwell led the way for the Zips, posting his first double-double of the season with 17 points, 12 boards. Isaiah Johnson was the only other Akron player in double figures with 13 points.
Akron (1-1) closed the game shooting 36.8 percent from the floor (21-of-57) and 13.3 percent from long range (2-of-15). The Zips were 19-for-29 at the charity stripe (65.5 percent).
Saint Mary's (2-0) connected on 51.1 percent from the floor (24-for-47) and hit 32-of-36 free throw attempts (88.9 percent).
Akron won the battle on the boards 39-25, but committed 19 turnovers to just 10 by Saint Mary's.
SMC's Brad Waldow led all scorers with 16 points.
The Zips defense opened the second half on a strong note, holding the Gaels without a bucket for the first four-plus minutes. Thanks to two buckets by Johnson and a floater by Nyles Evans following a SMC bucket, the Zips trailed 47-44 with 13:17 remaining.
The Gaels opened up a sizable lead thanks to a 15-3 run over a five-minute stretch, taking a 62-47 advantage with 8:58 to go in the game. The lead would prove to be too much for the Zips to overcome as they fell 85-63.
The first eight minutes proved to be a battle as neither team was able to take control of the game. By the under-12 media timeout (11:52), Saint Mary's held on to a slim 12-11 lead.
Saint Mary's opened up a 23-17 lead following two free throws coming out of the under-8 media timeout. A put-back by Johnson gave the Zips a 28-27 lead with 2:55 to go in the half, but Saint Mary's would answer with a 9-0 run to force a Zips timeout with 39.7 seconds on the clock.
Kwan Cheatham, Jr., would make his first collegiate bucket, draining a long 3-pointer to close the gap to 36-31 before SMC's Waldow hit a layup at the buzzer to give the Gaels a 38-31 halftime lead.
Both teams shot 38.5 percent from the field in the half, connecting on identical 10-for-26 from the field. The charity stripe was kind to both teams as well, with the Zips shooting 71.4 percent (10-for-14) and the Gaels connecting on 93.3 percent (14-for-15).
Treadwell and Pat Forsythe led the way for the Zips in the half, with each contributing six points. Treadwell led all players with seven boards as Akron held a 22-12 advantage on the glass. However, Akron committed eight turnovers to just three by Saint Mary's.
The Zips return to action on Saturday, Nov. 16, when they travel to Murfreesboro, Tenn., to face Middle Tennessee. Tip off is set for 3 p.m. ET.