Saturday's Men's Soccer Results

Updated 10/19/2013


Courtesy of MAC Athletic Communications Departments
Western Michigan 1, Hartwick 0
Bowling Green 2, Davidson 0
West Virginia 1, Georgia State 0
ONEONTA, NY – Hartwick men's soccer dropped its second straight Mid-American Conference game of the week in a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Western Michigan on Saturday at Elmore Field. A goal scored by Marco Lobo in front following a cross at 40:22 of the first half held up for the visiting Broncos as they stayed unbeaten in league play.
Hartwick outshot the visitors 8-3 in the second half as they frantically pressed for the tying goal but Lobo's effort ended up being the only tally of the day.
"We moved the ball and had WMU camped in their own half for long durations," said head coach John Scott. "Chances came and either we didn't get good enough connections on the ball or a WMU player was there to get an important block."
The Broncos had perhaps their best scoring chance of the first half inside of 15 seconds. A ball played over the top at midfield was slightly out of reach for a Hartwick defender who got his head on it but right in the path of a Bronco attacker who got in on goal. He attempted to flick the ball over Hartwick goalkeeper Mateo Munarriz (Manizales, Colombia/Colegio Granadino) who had charged out on the play. Munarriz got his hand to the ball but was out of his box, creating a free kick 18 yards away. Kyle Farris' restart hit the outside of the near post and out for a goal kick.
Chances were limited in the opening half with 'Wick firing several long-range shots. The Hawks had a close call with less than 16 minutes left in the stanza. Jack Miller (Commack, NY/Commack) sent a short header back across the WMU box into the mixer for Will Broomfield (Brighton, England/Cloud Community College). However, before Broomfield could get a head on the service, Bronco goalkeeper Chase Rau came off his line and was first to the ball.
The visitors broke through with 4:38 remaining in the half. A Bronco breakaway was snuffed by a sliding effort by defender Matthew Robertson (Banchory, Scotland/Binghamton U.) but WMU maintained possession deep in Hartwick territory. On the left side, Matheau Rogers served a low cross in through heavy traffic which Munarriz could not corral. Lobo was there to clean up the rebound as he slid and slammed it into the upper part of the Hartwick goal from seven yards away.
The half would end with WMU leading 1-0, but the Hawks would turn it up in the second half, holding possession in the Bronco end for a majority of the period. However, solid scoring chances were at a premium with neither team able to break through for a clear shot on goal.
Marc Russell (Glasgow, Scotland/Woodfarm HS) had a good look for the Hawks with 28 minutes left in the game. A cross into the box was nodded down by Mike Rood (Conklin, NY/Susquehanna Valley) perfectly for Russell who was 15 yards from goal. He didn't get as good of a foot on his shot, however, and the ball went right to Rau for a comfortable save. 
The Broncos did not produce much offensively as they clung to the 1-0 lead. When they did, the 'Wick defense would thwart the opportunity. Some good ball work from WMU would bring about a one-versus-one situation on the right side with Munarriz and WMU's Hunter Vandenboom, who had loads of space with the ball moving in on goal. Miller did not give up on the play though and slid to deny Vandenboom after a 30 yard run at the last second to deny a sure goal.
The Hawks were dangerous in the final eight minutes but could not find the target. Nick Hills (Sydney, Australia/Colo HS) got into the box but ripped a near-post shot wide with two minutes left. Kit Tregear (Brighton, England/BHASVIC) had the last chance with a header with a minute left but it was sent wide.
"I thought we did enough to force overtime," added Scott. After conceding a soft goal in the first half we played much better in the second."
The Hawks finished with an 11-9 margin in shots and a 4-3 edge in corners. Munarriz made one save for Hartwick. Rau stopped two for the victors.
With the defeat, Hartwick (4-7-2, 2-2 MAC) slips to fourth place in the MAC standings behind Akron (3-1), WMU (2-0), and Bowling Green (2-1). The Hawks still have two games remaining on their league slate, including one against the third-place Falcons.
"All is still to play for and setbacks only make you work harder to get it right," stated Scott. "I have every confidence that we'll get over this by responding positively." 
DAVIDSON, N.C. (BGSU Athletic Communications) – The Bowling Green State University men's soccer team scored a goal in each half Saturday night (Oct. 19), posting a 2-0 road win over Davidson College. The non-conference match was held at Alumni Stadium.
With the victory, the Falcons improve to 4-6-4 on the season, while dropping the host Wildcats to 6-7-1.
Freshman Joe Sullivan gave the Brown and Orange the lead with just six minutes gone, and junior Danny Baraldi, after coming close to scoring multiple times in the match, doubled the Falcons' advantage late in the contest.
Senior Michael Wiest made eight saves as he and the BGSU defense posted the team's sixth shutout of the season.
At the offensive end, the Falcons scored two goals in a game for the first time since the 2013 season opener, a 5-0 win over Malone on Aug. 30.
"Obviously, I'm pleased with this result, and I'm pleased for the guys for getting a result on the road against a good opponent in Davidson," said BGSU head coach Eric Nichols.
On Saturday night, the Brown and Orange wasted little time getting on the scoreboard, taking the lead with just 5:58 gone, on the first shot of the match. The play began when senior Sean Sikich put a long ball over the defense to junior Vlad Lekarev. Lekarev, heading down the left side of the field, settled the ball just before reaching the end line, then played a cross toward the far post.
Sullivan swooped in from the right side, met the ball with a perfectly-timed leaping header, and hit a bullet into the far-side netting. It was BG's earliest goal in a match this season.
"The bottom line is that goals change games," said Nichols. "We wanted to get an early goal, and we pushed on and got a great one. It was a great buildup, a great cross by Vlad and a great header by Joe Sullivan."
Wiest made a pair of saves over the next few minutes, stopping shots by Shane Macnamara and Chris Pettiglio, and Lekarev hit a hard shot just wide as the match reached the 15-minute mark.
Moments later, sophomore Ryan James collected the ball at the top of the box and hit a turnaround shot. That effort was blocked over the line for a corner kick. Off of that kick, the ball was blocked out of the box to senior Zach Schewee, who made a long roundabout run that eventually took him into the penalty area on the left side. He put a shot toward the far post, but Davidson goalie Andrew Kenneson made a diving stop.
As the match neared the 20-minute mark, Baraldi's pass found James in the box. James put his shot just wide of the net.
Midway through the period, the Wildcats' had arguably their best chance of the match. Pettiglio, who had five shot attempts on the night, fired a long, bouncing shot. Wiest parried that effort, then gobbled up the rebound before DC's Valeriy Sviderskiy could reach it.
Less than two minutes later, Wiest made another save, grabbing a Jake Keator blast that may have been deflected before it reached the goalmouth.
As the match neared the half-hour mark, the Falcons were buzzing again. First, Kenneson barely beat Lekarev to a ball after James had played Lekarev through. A defender cut in front of the BG junior, giving the DC 'keeper just enough time to pounce on the through ball. Then, after a scramble in the box, Baraldi saw a shot sail high.
Wiest stopped another Pettiglio shot through traffic, and Schewee made a nifty cutback move and fired toward the far post, forcing Kenneson into a diving stop.
With only 20 seconds left in the period, Schewee's diagonal ball was just a little too high. Senior Rodcliff Hall met the ball at the far post, but it glanced off the top of Hall's head and out of bounds.
In the second period, Wiest blocked a shot by Sviderskiy at point-blank range, and sophomore Jake Genrich cleared the ball out of harm's way. The resulting counterattack resulted in a Lekarev shot that caught Kenneson out of position. But, a defender was able to block the shot for a 'team save'.
With just over three minutes gone in the period, the Falcons were awarded a penalty kick. Baraldi took that kick, but his shot hit the outside of the post and caromed out of bounds.
Eight minutes into the half, Schewee brought the ball along the end line and slid a pass into the path of the onrushing Joey D'Agostino. The senior tri-captain uncorked a blast from about 10 yards out, but Kenneson made the point-blank save.
A steal by Baraldi several minutes later resulted in a Davidson foul in the Wildcats' defensive end of the field. Baraldi took the ensuing free kick, and hit the woodwork for the second time in under 10 minutes. Baraldi's hard, curving shot that struck the crossbar, keeping the Falcons' lead at a single goal.
With 20 minutes to go, what looked to be a threatening Davidson foray into BG's end of the field resulted in a relatively soft shot by Alan Reiter that rolled right to Wiest.
Hall and fellow senior Anthony Grant worked the ball into the DC end, as Hall one-timed a pass in the direction of Grant, then made a diagonal, left-to-right run without the ball. Grant found Hall with a return pass, and Hall hit a low right-side cross that went through the box without a player from either team getting to it.
A moment later, however, the Falcons had the ball back. Baraldi laid the ball back to the charging James, who hit a shot that sailed just high.
As the clock ticked under five minutes, the Falcons got the insurance goal they had been threatening to get for nearly the entire match. James started the sequence, hitting a ball into the box from the right side. The ball sailed wide of the far post, but Baraldi hustled to save the ball before it rolled over the end line. His pass went to Sullivan on the left side of the field.
Baraldi received Sullivan's return pass, and fired a hard shot from the left side, just as he reached the 18-yard line. The shot, which may have found the far corner anyway, deflected off of a Davidson defender, giving Kenneson no chance to save it. The ball sailed into the upper right corner.
The Wildcats looked to cut into the lead in the final minutes of play, but the only Davidson shot during that time, off the foot of Sviderskiy, was well wide with just under a minute left in the match.
BGSU had an 18-14 advantage in total shots, and each team had eight shots on goal. Baraldi and James led the Brown and Orange with five shots each, while Baraldi and Schewee both put two shots on goal.
"After our initial goal, we continued to create some good chances tonight," said Nichols, who spent a year as an assistant coach at Davidson before taking the BG head-coaching job in 2009. "Missing the PK early in the second half was a real test of our character. It was a test to see if we could regroup and keep the pedal down. We were able to do that, and went on to get the insurance goal.
"Credit to Davidson; they moved the ball on us, and moved us around like very few teams have done this year. The definitely challenged us, as far as our defensive organization.
"But, credit also to Mike Wiest and everyone who played in front of him, for holding them off of the scoreboard and limiting their chances. Again, I'm very pleased for the guys to come on the road, play against a quality team like Davidson, and get a result."
The Falcons are back in action on Tuesday night (Oct. 22), taking on Wright State University in Dayton in the annual battle for the I-75 Cup. That match will begin at 7:00 p.m.
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Junior forward Andy Bevin’s seventh goal of the season gave the WVU men’s soccer team a 1-0 victory over Georgia State on Saturday evening at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium.
“I said to the boys that for once the slipper is on the other foot because we didn’t play very well tonight, but we got the win,” coach Marlon LeBlanc says. “We’ve played really well at times this season and not gotten a result out of it. We will leave it at that, we got the result, we got the goal we needed.”
Bevin’s game-winning goal was scored in the 69th minute, following a period where the Mountaineers began to hold the majority of the possession. From five yards out along the goal line, Bevin beat the goalkeeper near post after receiving a pass from sophomore Majed Osman.
West Virginia (6-6-2) totaled 16 shots to Georgia State’s 11, led by three off the foot of Bevin. Eddie Wilding and Amiri Abraham took four and three shots, respectively, for Georgia State.
Georgia State had the two best chances of the first half, but WVU junior goalkeeper Lee Johnston was up to the challenge and recorded saves. In the 18th minute Abraham headed a cross that Johnston saved. Johnston made another save in the 36th minute on a ripped shot by Stephen McGill from 15 yards out.
Johnston made six saves in his third shutout of the season.
WVU returns to action for its final non-conference match of the season on Tuesday, Oct. 22 at American. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m.