Tuesday's Men's Soccer Results

Updated 10/15/2013


Courtesy of MAC Athletic Communications
Buffalo 2, Hartwick 1
Akron 1, Wake Forest 0
West Virginia 1, High Point 1
Detroit 2, Western Michigan 0
BUFFALO, NY – After starting his still-young career at Buffalo as an attacking forward, sophomore Marcus Hanson moved to the back line of the defense in his second season at UB. That is, until Tuesday evening, when his first chance to return to the attack paid major dividends. Hanson scored a goal in the first half and would assist on the eventual game-winning goal in a 2-1 win over Hartwick (4-6-2, 2-1 MAC). The win over Mid-American Conference front-runners moved Buffalo's record this season to 2-8-3, 1-2 in the MAC.
Spurred on by renewed energy and two quality chances in the first four minutes from Shane Satar, the offense broke through for its first goal at home since its home opener on Sept. 1 in the 18th minute after taking advantage of a Hartwick defensive miscue. A through-ball was played through the back line by Nicolai Berry, and Hanson chased it all the way up to the goalie. His pressure drew the keeper's attention away from the ball long enough to have the routine scoop squirt out of his hands and onto Hanson's foot. He coolly sank it in the net for the crucial early score. It was Hanson's first goal of the season, and second for his career.
"Nicolai played me a great ball, and we haven't had much luck this year but we had luck there and I was able to finish it," Hanson said. "To beat Hartwick just gives us confidence."
In the second half, there was a trio of legitimate goal-scoring opportunities before the fourth chance would be converted. In the 47th minute, Braden Culver made a perfect cross past the goal mouth, but his teammates were a step too far from cashing in on an empty net. Then in the 64th minute, Marek Albert flicked the ball over a charging goalkeeper, only to have his sure-fire goal cleared off the line in a controversial call. Albert would test the defense again in the 73rd minute, settling on the right side in the box and shooting to the low far post, which hit the inside post and flared out.
The second goal would ultimately come in the 77th minute, when Hanson passed the ball to the top of the box to Russell Cicerone. The freshman forward carried the ball to his strong foot, and went upper 90 to the right corner for his fourth goal of the year.
"Throughout the course of the season, we've played very well in games and not got the result we've deserved," head coach Stu Riddle said. "That was a good conference game against a team that was top of the table and we turned them over. The boys were excellent today. Marcus was a great addition on the attack today."
The Bulls will cap off an important MAC week of matches on Friday, taking on the 23rd ranked Akron Zips. The game will be part of a doubleheader with the women's team, and first touch is scheduled for 7:30 pm.
AKRON, Ohio –  Behind a dominant first half and penalty kick by Aodhan Quinn in the 42nd minute, The No. 23 University of Akron men's soccer team knocked off No. 15 Wake Forest Tuesday night at FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field.
It was a signature win for the Zips (9-3-0), who have gone 2-0 since their set back against Hartwick earlier this month and their first positive result against a nationally-ranked opponent this fall.
Sophomore Matt Foldesy was tackled from behind in the box in the 42nd minute to set up Quinn's first penalty kick of the season. The senior, who returned to the Akron lineup last Wednesday after missing the previous four matches with an ankle injury, came through with his second game winner of the year.
With the loss, the Demon Deacons fell to 6-3-4.
Akron was in complete control in the first half, posting a shots advantage of 10-3. Moreover, UA generated a number of dangerous chances and pushed the Wake Forest defense to its limit.
In particular, Quinn had a pair of breakaway shots saved by the Demon Deacons' goalkeeper Alec Ferrell midway through the first half. Ferrell also made quality stops of a header by Louis Cross on an Akron corner kick and a straight-away shot by Reinaldo Brenes.
Possession was much more balanced in the second half but Wake Forest was the more threatening side as it pushed for the equalizer.
The Deacs best chance came in the 77th minute when Ross Tomaselli sent a direct free kick from straigh on through the wall but Zips goalkeeper Fernando Pina sniffed it out and made the stop.
It was one of four saves in the second half for Pina, who recorded his sixth shutout of the season. The redshirt freshman recorded five stops overall Tuesday.
Akron will look to stay hot when it jumps back into Mid-American Conference play Friday night at Buffalo. The Zips and Bulls will kick off at 7:30 p.m. ET.
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The West Virginia University men’s soccer team played to a 1-1 draw against High Point on Tuesday evening at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium.
WVU (5-6-2) dominated possession throughout the match and finished the game with a 29-7 shot advantage, as well as a 10-5 edge in corner kicks. The 29 shots ranks second all-time and is the most a WVU team has taken since it took 27 against Elon in 2012.
“It was another dominant performance without a win to go along with it,” coach Marlon LeBlanc says. “I can walk off a little bit more satisfied about my team’s effort tonight because the effort was splendid and the football was good.” 
Sophomore Jamie Merriam led all players with seven shots, followed by sophomore Majed Osman with five and freshman Mike Desiderio with four.
“It wasn’t a whole lot different than the Hartwick game the other day. We missed a lot of chances then, and we missed a lot of chances tonight,” LeBlanc says. “We made one mistake and got punished for it. Literally a mistake gave them their goal.”
WVU senior Craig Stephens netted the game-tying goal in the 79th minute off a cross from freshman Alex Ochoa. High Point goalkeeper Kody Palmer game out of net to field the cross, but Stephens beat him to the ball and flicked it over him into an empty net from 15-yards out. It was Stephens’ third goal of the season, while freshman Jack Elliott notched his first-career assist.
“He’s (Ochoa) a very good crosser of the ball and he hit in a nice ball,” Stephens says. “The ‘keeper called for it and I knew he was a ways away and the center back was never going to get there. I just did what I do in training and just flicked it on.”
Four minutes prior, High Point’s Chris Ramsell put the Panthers ahead off of an errant pass by WVU. Ramsell collected the ball and ripped a shot from 25 -ards out past WVU junior goalkeeper Lee Johnston.
“They’re a good side, they’re very direct,” LeBlanc says. “They’ve got some good players in the attack.”
Palmer finished with eight saves on the evening, while Johnston made two stops. High Point also had two team saves, both on WVU senior Jay Williams.
The WVU attack started immediately when Williams received a pass with an open net in the second minute, but blasted a shot over the net.
High Point created a flurry of chances in the 10th minute, highlighted by a shot from 40-yards out by Lolo Lauture that was punched over the crossbar and a shot by Kevin Fallet that hit the crossbar.
Osman almost put the Mountaineers ahead in the 27th minute when he took a free kick from 40-yards out on the left side of the field that hit off the crossbar. Williams got the rebound, but had his shot cleared off the line by a High Point defender.
Bevin and Osman nearly teamed up for the game-winning goal in the final minute of the first overtime. Osman was attempting to get off a shot at the top of the box and passed it away to Bevin, who sent a bending shot that was saved by Palmer.
In the 105th minute Merriam received a pass to Bevin and took a shot that was saved by Palmer at point-blank range.
Ben Burdon led the Panthers with two shots. The Mountaineer defense held Mamadee Nyepon, that nation’s second-highest goal scorer, to just one shot.
WVU returns to Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium on Saturday, October 19, for a 7 p.m. match against non-conference for Georgia State. Admission to the match is free courtesy of United Bank. For a video and audio stream courtesy of Kroger, visit WVUsports.com. 
DETROIT, Mich.- The Broncos had 11 shots in the game but were unable to come up with a goal in a 2-0 loss at Detroit Tuesday. The Titans’ Adam Bedell scored a goal in each half off of a pair of assists by Matt Ybarra.
It was the third consecutive non-conference win for Detroit (3-6-4), which picked up its first home win of the season. With the loss, Western Michigan fell to 4-7-0 on the season. The Broncos will look to rebound Saturday, traveling to Hartwick for a Mid-American Conference matchup at 3 p.m.
“Today we were boys playing against men, and it was extremely disappointing because we knew how Detroit was going to play and simply could not handle it,” said WMU head coach Chad Wiseman.
“I give a lot of credit to Detroit and its players, they really believe in their system and do it for 90 minutes. They were bigger, stronger, and played with more passion and desire to win the match. We will be better on Saturday, we have no choice but to be.”
Bedell scored his first goal for UDM in the 28th minute with a bending shot to the upper left corner off a cross by Ybarra from the left. Ybarra found Bedell with another cross in the 52nd minute to give UDM a 2-0 lead.
Western Michigan held a 5-3 advantage in shots and a 5-1 advantage in corner opportunities at halftime.