Friday's Field Hockey Results

Updated 9/27/2013

9/27 Field Hockey Scoreboard:

Central Michigan 2, UC Davis 1
Missouri State 0, Michigan 5
Miami 2, Indiana 3


Central Michigan 2, UC Davis 1

MUNCIE, Ind. – Sophomore midfielder Kaysie Gregory scored the game-winning goal in a 2-1 overtime win over UC Davis on Friday, September 27, snapping a six-game losing streak.
CMU (3-6) found itself on the board at the 27:04 mark when senior Bailey McKeon passed to junior forward Cayleigh Immelman off a penalty corner. Immelman scored in the right side of the box through traffic, putting the Maroon and Gold up 1-0.
The Aggies (1-7) responded early in the second half tying up the score 1-1. UC Davis’ Coley LemMon found the back of the cage off a rebound at the 44:22 mark.
The Chippewas and the Aggies battled the rest of the second half but could not finish putting the contest into overtime. At the 79:30 mark, Gregory beat Aggies goalkeeper – Danielle Herrington chipping the ball into the left side of the cage for a 2-1 CMU victory.
CMU goalkeeper Sadie Reynolds contributed with seven saves, including two key saves in overtime. 
Five of the Chippewas together had the nine shots on goal, including Immelmann with three, Mary Alice Moore and Maude Stalars with two, and McKeon and Gregory with one. CMU scored once off its six penalty corners.
CMU starts Mid-American Conference play on Saturday, October 5 at 1 p.m. versus Ball State. The contest will be played at the CMU Field Hockey Complex. 

Missouri State 0, Michigan 5

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – A strong second-half defensive performance by the Missouri State field hockey team wasn’t enough on Friday (Sept. 27), as the Bears fell to the Michigan Wolverines, 5-0.
Michigan (5-4) did most of its work in the first half, building a 4-0 lead by halftime. The Wolverines got on the board 16 minutes into the match when Ainsley McCallister scored off a penalty corner. McCallister tipped in the corner pass from Lauren Thomas on the left post.
Michigan expanded its lead to 2-0 just three minutes later. Sina Lampe redirected a pass from in front to the right post, and was assisted by Rachael Mack. The MSU deficit grew to 4-0 before halftime when Leslie Smith scored twice on penalty strokes within the final five minutes of the first period.
The Bears' (1-7) defense held strong through most of the second half, holding their opponent without a goal for almost 30 minutes until Smith secured a hat trick with a goal on another penalty stroke, giving Michigan its final 5-0 margin.
Suzanne Kleine (Fr., Boskoop, The Netherlands), Kayleigh Schmitz (Fr. Eindhoven, The Netherlands) and Hillary Lawless (Sr., St. Louis, Mo.) picked up one defensive save apiece for MSU. The three stops give the Bears eight on the season, which ties them with Vermont for second-most among Division I teams.
Senior goalkeeper Katie Mulloy (Antioch, Ill.) was terrific in the second half, stopping seven of eight shots. The Wolverines out-shot the Bears 30 to 1, and recorded 17 penalty corners to MSU’s two.
Missouri State will play its home opener on Tuesday (Oct. 1) vs. Saint Louis. The match is slated for a 6 p.m. start and will be played at Plaster Sports Complex in Springfield.

Miami 2, Indiana 3

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – The Miami University field hockey team nearly completed a spirited comeback from a two-goal halftime deficit, but it ultimately fell to Indiana, 3-2, Friday afternoon. The RedHawks fall to 5-5 on the season, while the Hoosiers improve to 6-2 after their sixth consecutive victory.
A slow start by Miami saw Indiana score two goals in the first 18 minutes to take a 2-0 lead. The RedHawks began to come alive towards the end of the first half as junior midfielder Valentina Neira, freshman midfielder Colby Hussong and sophomore midfielder Bea Dechant each had opportunities, but their shots went just wide of the net.
Having been outshot, 8-3, during the first half, Miami came out and completely dominated play in the second half. In the 40th minute, the ‘Hawks were rewarded when Neira scored on a two-on-one breakaway. Unfortunately, the Hoosiers answered back with a goal a little over a minute later to regain the two-goal cushion. It was their only shot attempt of the period.
The RedHawks kept the pressure up with three penalty corner attempts. Finally, in the 57th minute senior forward Alyssa Logan sent a pass to senior forward Emily Gruesser, who was camped out in the left side of the circle. Gruesser found the back of the net to make the score 3-2.
Miami kept going for the tying goal as Neira had a pair of shot attempts that were stopped by Indiana goalkeeper Maggie Olson. Junior midfielder Gabby Goldach had one final opportunity, but her shot went just wide of the net. The Hoosiers were able to get the ball out of the Miami attack zone in the final minute and run out the clock to hang on to the victory.
The RedHawks outshot Indiana, 10-1 in the second half and 13-9 for the game. They had a 7-2 advantage in penalty corners, including a 6-0 advantage in the second half. Neira led the way with four shots, three of which were on goal. Senior goalkeeper Sarah Mueller made five saves in net.
Miami remains in Bloomington Saturday, where it will take on eighth-ranked Penn State in a neutral site game at 2 p.m.