Sunday's Men's Soccer Results

Updated 9/15/2013


Courtesy of MAC Athletic Communication Departments
Akron 2, San Diego St. 1
Northern Illinois 2, Green Bay 1
Western Michigan 3, E. Illinois 1
Tulsa 3, Hartwick 2
St. John's 1, West Virginia 0
AKRON, Ohio –  With a pair of goals, including the game-winner in the 105th minute, senior Eric Stevenson lifted the No. 7 University of Akron men's soccer team to a 2-1 double overtime victory over San Diego State Sunday afternoon at FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field.
With the score knotted at 1-all, freshman Adam Najem sent a corner kick to the near post where Stevenson gathered it, made a turned and sent a needle through the Aztecs' defense and into the back of the net.
It was Stevenson's fifth game-winning goal of his Akron career and the second time he has scored multiple goals in a match. With the win, the Zips improved to 4-2-0 while dropping SDSU to 2-3-0.
For the first time this season, UA scored a goal in the first half thanks to an impressive strike from Stevenson in the 11th minute. The Columbus native gave Akron the 1-0 lead when he took possession of a deflected shot and fired it home from the top of the box. 
Unfortunately for the Zips, however, their lead didn't last long as San Diego St. countered with a soft goal to equalize following an Akron turnover deep in their own territory. SDSU's Kody Duff jumped on an ill-advised pass and set up teammate Abraham Villon, who buried it from close range.
After allowing three shots against VCU Friday night, UA allowed just six – including two on frame – to San Diego State Sunday. The Zips out-shot the Aztecs 18-2 after the first half and 26-6 overall. In total, eight different Akron players recorded at least one shot on goal, including three from Stevenson.
Stevenson became UA's first multiple-goal scorer of the season. He last matched the feat with a two-goal effort in the Zips' 5-0 route of Florida Atlantic last October. With the win, Akron improved to 7-0-1 following a loss during the regular season since 2008 and has not dropped consecutive matches in six years.
Akron's four-game homestand continues next Saturday when Bowling Green comes to FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field for the Mid-American Conference opener. The Zips and Falcons will kick off at 1 p.m. ET.
Zips Notebook: UA was forced to play without junior defender and team captain Bryan Gallego, who was scratched due to injury ... at one point during the match, the Zips had a combination of seven players who were either freshmen or sophomores on the field at the same time ... one of those freshmen, Brett Gravatt earned his first career start, getting the nod at right back ... Sunday's match was the first meeting between San Diego State and Akron ... VCU, which edged the Zips 1-0 Friday night, defeated Niagara by the same score to win The University of Akron Tournament.
DEKALB, Ill. -- Trailing 1-0 at the half, the Northern Illinois men’s soccer team earned a 2-1 comeback victory over UW Green Bay on Sunday afternoon in the final game of the NIU adidas Invitational. Senior Sean Totsch (Oswego, Ill./Oswego) and junior Jayson LeSeth (Des Plaines, Ill./Maine West) each scored to help lift the Huskies to the comeback win. 
“When we came in at halftime there was definitely a mopey feel,” said NIU men’s soccer head coach Eric Luzzi. “Probably a lack of belief and high frustration. We just told the guys to take a breath, get back to the things you know work, play simple, don’t complicate it and just believe. Believe that if we the get first one, which we did, we could keep pressing and get a second one, which we did and I’m really happy for the guys.”
Playing in rainy conditions throughout the contest, Northern Illinois (2-4-0) had the first chance in the 20th minute as senior James Stevenson (Falkirk, Scotland/St. Mungo’s) fed a ball to junior Isaac Kannah (Plymouth, Minn./Prairie Seeds Academy) who pulled a shot across goal and just wide of the post. 
Just two minutes later, UW Green Bay (3-2-1) took the lead through Lawrence Tallery. Tallery pounced on a misplay inside the NIU six-yard box and tapped the ball into an empty net to give the visitors a 1-0 advantage. 
The Phoenix looked to double the lead in the 35th minute off a corner, but Sam Krenzien’s header went wide and Green Bay went into the half with a 1-0 lead. 
Immediately after the intermission the Huskies went on the attack. Just three minutes after the interval Kannah fired a shot from near the top of the box off the crossbar. Following up on the rebound, sophomore Bertrand Gaschot (Austin, Texas/Westwood) saw his header go wide. 
In the 50th minute, sophomore Charlie Oliver (Crystal Lake, Ill./Crystal Lake South) had a chance to even the match. Freshman Cody Witkowski (Batavia, Ill./Batavia) played a cross in toward Oliver who had a look at goal but was smothered by Phoenix goalkeeper Kyle Ihn.
NIU pulled level in the 56th minute. From a corner kick, the ball came to Oliver at the top of the box; he played a pass across to Totsch who took a shot that found its way through the bodies in front of goal and into the net for the tying goal. The goal was the first of the season for Totsch and the fifth of his NIU career. 
Just four minutes later the Huskies took the lead through LeSeth. After NIU earned a foul 35 yards from goal, LeSeth floated the ensuing free kick into the six-yard box. Ihn came to claim it for Green Bay but the floated ball sailed just over his outstretched arms and into the back of the net. For LeSeth the goal was his first of the season and his fourth all-time as a Huskie. 
Now trailing by a goal, Green Bay pushed the game for much of the final 30 minutes. 
The Phoenix had a chance to equalize in the 68th minute as Krenzien headed the ball off the post before it was cleared away for a corner by the NIU defense. 
Green Bay earned three corners in the final 20 minutes but never threatened redshirt sophomore Andrew Glaeser (Walla Walla, Wash./Walla Walla/Oregon State) in goal as the Huskies prevailed for the 2-1 victory. 
Totsch and Kannah were named to the all-tournament team for the Huskies; Northwestern’s Joey Calistri was named the tournament’s Most Valuable Player as the Wildcats won the NIU adidas Invitational with victories over Green Bay and Butler. 
Northern Illinois will return to action next Friday, Sept. 20, when the Huskies travel to the Northwestern Lakeside Classic in Evanston, Ill. NIU will take on 22nd-ranked Fairleigh Dickinson at 5 p.m. 
CHARLESTON, Ill.- The Western Michigan men’s soccer team capped off a brilliant weekend with a 3-1 win over host Eastern Illinois, claiming the championship at the EIU 50 Years of Soccer Tournament. The Broncos placed four players on the All-Tournament Team, including the Offensive and Defensive MVP.
“Eastern Illinois put on a fantastic tournament this weekend, it was great hospitality and great competition,” said WMU head coach Chad Wiseman. “I couldn’t be more thrilled about our program coming home with the championship.”
Senior forward Ryan Lemasters was selected as the Most Valuable Offensive Player and sophomore defender Cam Jensen took home Defensive MVP honors. Freshmen midfielders Matheau Rogers and Edu Jimenez were also named to the all-tournament team.
The Broncos (2-4-0) started off the weekend with a 2-1 victory over Northern Kentucky on Friday. Lemasters scored WMU’s first goal on an assist by Rogers and Jimenez netted the game-winner, striking in the final minute of the first overtime.
“At this level of soccer you must go out and earn everything, and our team did that this weekend,” Wiseman said. “These two wins have set us up with great momentum heading into alumni weekend and our home opener Friday.”
Western Michigan was forced to battle back from a 1-0 deficit before the Broncos claimed the championship Sunday. EIU’s Spencer Filosa put the Panthers up 1-0 on a header from five yards out off a free kick from Gani Nuredini in the ninth minute, but Western Michigan’s defense tightened up and WMU went on to score three unanswered goals.
Rogers evened the count for the Brown & Gold in the 14th minute with his team-leading third goal of the season, burying a pass from junior Jason Grant from 20 yards out.
Rogers then connected with freshman Sam Bell to give WMU a 2-1 lead before the half. It was the first collegiate goal for Bell and the second career assist for Rogers.
Senior Brian Heimerdinger added an insurance goal in the second period of play, recording his first career goal off a cross on the right from Lemasters.
“The matchup went exactly how we anticipated it to go,” Wiseman added. “Neither team sat back and both teams went after the game. We thought we would find some space in the final third for some great scoring chances and that’s what happened. Rogers took his goal with absolute class.
“It was great to see two Broncos score their first career goals, freshman Sam Bell with the game winner, and senior Brian Heimerdinger clinching the victory.”
Western Michigan pounded Eastern Illinois for 14 shots, including seven on goal. Defensively, sophomore Chase Rau and junior Adriano Deabreu shared goalkeeping duties. Deabreu preserved the 2-1 lead with two second half saves.
This weekend’s games begins a two-game winning streak for the Broncos and concludes a six-game road trip to open the 2013 season. Western Michigan returns to Kalamazoo to host Canisius at the newly remodeled WMU Soccer Complex Sept. 20 and welcomes Milwaukee two days later, Sept. 22, as part of alumni weekend.
DALLAS, TX – Omar Mata's goal 8:46 into the first overtime for Tulsa (4-1-1) spoiled an enormous second-half comeback by Hartwick (0-4-2) on Sunday at the Southern Methodist University Tournament at Westcott Field in Dallas, TX.
The Hawks were down two goals with less than 10 minutes to play, but tallies from junior Chris Walter (Amherst, NY/Nichols School) and freshman Max Walcott (London, England/West Herts College) in the 83rd and 86th minute, respectively, put the Hawks level and forced overtime.
Mata ended things with a goal off a free kick from 20 yards out to give the Golden Hurricane the victory.
Despite the loss, Hartwick head coach John Scott had great respect for the Hawks' efforts in the game. "I could not have asked for any more out of our players against a team which is #13 in the nation," said Scott. "We're taking a lot of positives from this weekend."
'Wick faced an uphill climb on the day as it not only faced a top 20 team but the Hawks were also forced to play without three starters, including two on the back line.
The Hawks were a determined side in the second half of action as they fought back to tie the match. Over the 45 minute period, 'Wick would out-shoot the Golden Hurricane by a margin of 11-5.
Over the opening 20 minutes of the second half, both teams split a total of four shots. Walter had an opportunity to get the Hawks on the scoreboard following a nice buildup in the 71st minute. He would ultimately put his shot high over the bar.
Walter made up for it with just 7:02 remaining in regulation. Following a cross from the right side, Walter collected the ball at the top of the Tulsa 18-yard box and drilled a low shot past Golden Hurricane keeper Jake McGuire to cut the 'Wick deficit in half. It marked Walter's first goal of the 2013 campaign.
Three minutes, 37 seconds later the match was even. Sophomore Dean Fowler (Sydney, Australia/Colo) played a ball for Walcott to run onto. He beat McGuire to the far post for his first collegiate goal.
"Chris showed great concentration to keep his shot low past the keeper on our first goal," stated Scott. "Max's effort was not easy as he finished by the keeper to the far corner from an acute angle."
Walter had one last chance for the Hawks with just a few seconds remaining. He put a difficult header on frame but McGuire was there to make the save and put the game into extra time.
The Golden Hurricane held a 2-0 edge in shots in the first overtime before the winner as Omar Mata's well-executed free kick ended the match.
The beginning of the contest did not start well for 'Wick as it surrendered the go-ahead goal after just 3:05. Hartwick keeper Mateo Munarriz (Manizales, Colombia/Colegio Granadino) made an initial save off a Kyle Cummings' shot and Christian Mata was there to clean it up from six yards out on the rebound for the early Tulsa lead.
Twenty-one minutes later, Mata was at it again as he scored following a one-versus-one situation with Munarriz. Following a counter attack, Akeil Barrett slid a pass to Mata who finished from 12 yards away to up the Tulsa advantage to 2-0.
"We were disappointed with the 2-0 deficit at halftime and made some adjustments at the break," added Scott. "When the chances came in the second half, we need to be sharp and find the net and we did that."
Tulsa had a 16-15 edge in shots today. Munarriz made three stops for Hartwick in goal. McGuire mad two saves for the Golden Hurricane.
Hartwick returns home and hosts Iona College next Saturday at Elmore Field. The Hawks and Gaels kick off at 3 p.m.
St. John's 1, West Virginia 0
JAMAICA, N.Y. – Despite out-shooting No. 12 St. John’s, the West Virginia University men’s soccer team was never able to overcome an early deficit, falling 1-0 on Sunday evening at Belson Stadium.
The Mountaineers (3-2-1) held the possession throughout the second half and finished with a 12-11 edge in shots, including 6-3 in shots on goal.
“We gave up a soft goal and its becoming too much of a trend right now. We were fantastic tonight. It’s unfortunate that someone has to lose a game like this,” coach Marlon LeBlanc says. “The second 45 was about as well as we’ve played all year and we put them under a lot of pressure.”
Junior Andy Bevin led all players with five shots, while sophomore Majed Osman and senior Jay Williams had two shots apiece.
Bevin led a pressured attack throughout the second half, starting with two corner kicks in the 54th and 64th minutes, but nobody was able to get on the end.
Bevin took a shot that was blocked in the 76th minute and then took a corner that once again did not generate a chance.
His final chance came with two minutes remaining as he took a free kick at the top of the box with the first shot blocked and the rebound shot was saved by St. John’s goalkeeper Rafael Diaz.
Despite having some of the better chances in the first half, the Mountaineers went into halftime trailing 1-0.
Wiliams took the first shot on goal in the 10th minute of the game from deep that was saved by a sprawling Diaz. Williams had another chance in the 23rd minute, but again Diaz made the stop.
Bevin had WVU’s best chance in the 15th minute, chipping the ball over Diaz, but Miguel Alves cleared the ball out of harms way before it could trickle into the net.
Sean Sepe scored on St. John’s first shot on goal in the 24th minute after receiving a pass from Jimmy Mulligan. Sepe navigated his way through a plethora of WVU defenders and took a shot from 12 yards out to the far post past WVU junior keeper Lee Johnston.
The Mountaineers return to Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 21, for a match against non-conference foe Michigan. The Mountaineers and Wolverines will kick off at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets for the match are $5 for adults, $3 for youth and senior citizens, and groups of 10 or more may pay $2 each. WVU students are admitted free with a valid WVU student ID. Saturday is a “Dollar Day,” with all tickets, hot dogs, popcorn and Coca-Colas available for $1 each. For a video and audio stream courtesy of Kroger, visit