Friday's Men's Soccer Results

Updated 9/14/2013


Courtesy of MAC Athletic Communications Departments
Western Michigan 2, Northern Kentucky 1
Ohio St. 0, Bowling Green 0
Binghamton 2, Buffalo 0
VCU 1, Akron 0
West Virginia 2, Wright State 1
Butler 1, Northern Illinois 0
SMU 2, Hartwick 1
CHARLESTON, Ill.- The Bronco men’s soccer team defeated Northern Kentucky 2-1 in overtime Friday evening to give first-year head coach Chad Wiseman his first career victory at Western Michigan. Freshman midfielder Edu Jimenez netted the game-winner on a free kick in the 100th minute.
“The guys have worked extremely hard this week in training and they were rewarded for their hard work today,” Wiseman said. “It was a very good step in the right direction. This weekend is a tournament and today’s result puts us in great position to play for the championship on Sunday.”
Western Michigan (1-4-0) was the first to strike in the match, taking a 1-0 lead in the 16th minute when senior forward Ryan Lemasters slammed home a rebound off a shot by freshman Matheau Rogers. It was the first goal of the season for Lemasters and Rogers’ first career assist.
The Broncos carried the lead until the 82nd minute when Caleb Eastham evened the score for Northern Kentucky off an assist by Brendan Murphy.
WMU was awarded a free kick in the final minute of the first overtime. Jimenez lined up from 25 yards out and beat Norse goalkeeper A.J. Fleak for his first career goal and the 2-1 Bronco victory.
“I am very proud of the guys, they showed toughness in areas we desperately needed,” Wiseman said. “Lemasters was absolutely fantastic, he was all over the place playing both ends of the field. Edu had a great set piece in overtime when we needed it most. It was the first of many career goals for him I’m sure.
“Our back line and goalkeeper were much more connected and organized today, it really showed in the amount of scoring chances we allowed. We want to carry this feeling and momentum into Sunday.”
Sophomore goalkeeper Chase Rau notched his first career victory at Western Michigan after transferring from Wisconsin this past year. He made one first half save and two stops in the second half.
The Broncos had 10 corner kicks in the game, including nine in the second half and maintained possession a majority of the game. NKU (1-2-1) held a slight 12-8 advantage on shots and had just three corner kicks, all of which came in the first half.
This weekend’s matches are part of the 50 Years of Soccer Tournament hosted by Eastern Illinois University. Western Michigan EIU Sunday at 4:30 p.m. ET.
BOWLING GREEN, Ohio - The Bowling Green State University men's soccer team did everything except put the ball in the back of the net on Friday night (Sept. 13). Despite dominating the match with the Ohio State University, the Falcons settled for a scoreless, double-overtime draw with the Buckeyes before the largest home crowd in recent memory.
The result leaves BGSU with a record of 1-2-2 on the young season. OSU is now 2-2-1 on the year.
The Falcons held a 35-12 advantage in total shots, and BGSU put nine shots on goal to the Buckeyes' two. But, no one could put a shot past BGSU senior goalkeeper Michael Wiest or his OSU counterpart, Alex Ivanov.
The attendance at Friday's match was 3,126. Attendance records are not available prior to the 1997 season, but the crowd was by far the largest for a BGSU home game in that time. The second-highest attendance in that 16-year span came in BG's last home match, which also was a tie against a Big Ten Conference foe. BG and Michigan played before a crowd of 2,133 just under two weeks ago (Sept. 2, 2013).
Wiest made two saves in earning the shutout on Friday night. The clean sheet was his second of the season and the 15th of his career. Four of those shutouts have come against the Big Ten, as he has blanked U-M twice and Michigan State once.
At the other end of the pitch, Ivanov made eight stops for the Buckeyes. Ohio State was also credited with a 'team save' in the first half, as a defender blocked a BGSU shot on the goal line.
Senior Anthony Grant fired a whopping nine shots on the night, while junior Danny Baraldi took seven shots. Both players put three shots on frame.
The Falcons return to action on Wednesday (Sept. 18), beginning a five-match road swing with a trip to Michigan State. That contest will begin at 5:00 p.m. at MSU's DeMartin Stadium.
VESTAL, NY - The Buffalo men's soccer team lost 2-0 at Binghamton Friday evening, allowing Bearcat goals in the 12th and 78th minutes. The loss moves UB to 0-4-2, while Binghamton improves to 2-2-1.
Nicolai Berry led all offensive players with seven total shots, and his four shots on goal matched the entire Bearcat offense. The seven attempts are a new season high for the freshman forward. Overall, the Bulls put six shots on frame, and also held an 8-4 advantage in corner kicks. The team had a group of quality chances, including a pair of one-on-one breakouts, but the Binghamton defense would extend the offense's frustrations.
The team will have a full week before its next match, traveling out to the Motor City for a match at Detroit next Friday. First touch is scheduled for 1 pm.
AKRON, Ohio –  Despite dominating possession and out-shooting their opponent 28-3, The No. 7 University of Akron men's soccer team suffered a 1-0 defeat to No. 19 VCU Friday night in front of 3,319 fans at FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field.
It was an unlikely result for the Zips (3-2-0), who controlled the match from the start but couldn't capitalize on their numerous chances. Rams goalkeeper Andrew Wells earned his first clean sheet of the year with seven saves, including a number of impressive stops in the first half.
With the win, VCU (2-1-1) picked up its second consecutive win on the road against a ranked opponent after knocking off No. 13 Maryland, 3-2, last Sunday.
The Rams scored the match's lone goal against the run of play when Dennis Castillo headed home Juan Monge Solano's long free kick from near mid field in the 75th minute. The decisive strike came on just the Rams' third and final shot of the night.
The Zips came out flying in the first half and pushed VCU to the limit, out-shooting the Rams 15-1, but couldn't break through. In particular, Akron had a great sequence in the 30th minute following one of four UA corner kicks in the first 45 minutes.
Robbie Derschang gathered a long service from Adam Najem on the far side of field and fired a liner that was saved by the Wells. The ball deflected quickly to Bryan Gallego, who briefly took possession in front of the net before sending it back in. But Wells made perhaps the play of the match with a point-blank stop of Gallego's strike.
Eric Stevenson capped off the rapid-fire series with another ball on frame just seconds later, but Wells turned it away as well.
In all, Akron recorded five shots on goal before halftime, including a great strike from Victor Souto from the top of the box that was pushed just over the cross bar in the 29th minute.
The Zips had to work harder to break down VCU's numbers in the second half but still managed to record 13 shots, while allowing just two. Nonetheless, Akron fell behind on the restart goal and couldn't find the equalizer.
Friday night's match was the second game of The University of Akron Tournament, which continues Sunday. The Zips will host San Diego St. at 1 p.m. ET, followed by VCU versus Niagara at 3:30 p.m. ET.
West Virginia 2, Wright State 1
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – The West Virginia University men’s soccer team completed a successful comeback over a pesky Wright State team, winning 2-1 on Friday evening at Dick Dlesk Soccer Stadium.
“We’re starting to see the physicality a little more,” coach Marlon LeBlanc says. “We’re a young group and I think some teams are trying to take a little bit of an advantage of that. You give Wright State credit; they competed very hard.”
West Virginia (3-1-1) went down 1-0 in the 17th minute, but a goal from junior Andy Bevin in the 24th minute tied the match and the game-winner came in the 70th minute from sophomore Majed Osman to lead the Mountaineers to victory.
“They’re both starting to come into their own, they’re both very young players,” LeBlanc says. “I said to the guys that the goals and even the game-winner at Indiana were magical goals, but it was the buildup that was fantastic. When we start to flow like that, guys like Majed and Andy can do the finishing part.” 
Osman’s goal was a screaming shot into the upper 90 from 35 yards out after receiving a lay off from freshman Alex Ochoa. Osman took the pass, found space and ripped the shot past Wright State keeper Craig Feehan.
Prior to Osman’s strike the Mountaineers were knocking on the door as Bevin took a shot at point-blank range that was saved by Feehan. Three-straight corner kicks for the Mountaineers ensued, but nobody was able to get on the end of the service.
The Mountaineers held the shot advantage at 16-15, while taking eight corner kicks to the Raiders’ six. Osman led all players with six shots.
Junior goalkeeper Lee Johnston improved his record to 3-1-1, making two saves in the victory. Feehan picked up three saves in the losing effort.
Bevin tied the match at 1-1 in the 24th minute with his fourth goal of the season, striking a shot from six yards out. Sophomore Haydon Bennett played a quick restart at midfield to freshman Griffin Libhart. Libhart pushed the ball up the right sideline to Osman, who took it in deep along the goal line and centered to Bevin.
Wright State’s Brett Elder initially put the Raiders ahead 1-0 in the 17th minute as he received a pass from Wesley Cain and chipped a shot over Johnston.
The Raiders nearly tied the match in the 84th minute as Greg Marchand hit the post following a throw-in. The rebound went to Elder, but he was unable to get off a shot.
WVU returns to action on Sunday, Sept. 15, traveling to take on No. 12 St. John’s at 7 p.m. The match will be streamed via
DEKALB, Ill. -- The Northern Illinois men’s soccer team fell to Butler, 1-0, on Friday afternoon in the NIU adidas Invitational at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex. A 35th minute goal from Anthony Smith Jr., was enough to give the Bulldogs the victory in a tight match that featured just five total shots on target. 
“Butler is a good team and we played okay, the game just came down to two moments,” said NIU head coach Eric Luzzi. “We have a misclearance and they punish it, we have a breakaway and we don’t finish, that’s the game. If we don’t have the misclearance, they don’t score and its 0-0 at halftime. They are a good team, there were stretches where they had us under, but there were long stretches where we had them under and we created some good chances.”
Butler (4-0-1) had the first chance of the contest as Vincent Mitchell sent a shot just high of redshirt sophomore Andrew Glaeser (Walla Walla, Wash./Walla Walla/Oregon State) in goal for the Huskies. 
The first opportunity for NIU (1-4-0) in the contest fell to sophomore Kyle Crichton (Ajax, Ontario, Canada/Pickering) as he collected a ball just outside the top of the box and whistled a shot over the Butler goal. 
In the 32nd minute, Jordan Burt tested Glaeser from well outside the box with a shot that the Huskie goalkeeper easily collected. Glaeser finished the contest with a pair of saves. 
Smith opened the scoring for the Bulldogs in the 35th minute. After NIU couldn’t clear the ball from the box, Zach Steinberger touched the ball over to Smith with slotted it past Glaeser from 10 yards out. 
The Huskies had their best chance to equalize in the 41st minute through junior Isaac Kannah (Plymouth, Minn./Prairie Seeds Academy). Sophomore Charlie Oliver (Crystal Lake, Ill./Crystal Lake South) played a ball in behind the Bulldog defense into the path of Kannah who collected and went in alone on goal. From just inside the box, Kannah fired a shot that forced a good save from Butler goalkeeper Jon Dawson and helped the Bulldogs take their 1-0 lead into the intermission. 
Following the interval, Butler had the first second half chance as Austin Oldham forced a save from Glaeser on a shot from 20 yards in the 49th minute. 
NIU’s first look in the second half came from sophomore Bertrand Gaschot (Austin, Texas/Westwood) in the 51st minute. Gaschot did well to get a header on goal from a right-wing cross, but his effort was collected by Dawson. 
In the 76th minute, the Huskies had what would be their last good chance of the match as Kannah got around Dawson and tried to slip the ball into the net from a tight angle, but the angle proved too tight and Kannah’s chance slid just outside the near post. 
Northern Illinois will return to action on Sunday, Sept. 15, when the Huskies host UW Green Bay at 2 p.m., in the final match of the NIU adidas Invitational. Butler and Northwestern will square off in the opening game of the day at 11 a.m.
DALLAS, TX – Hartwick men's soccer played a spirited second half of play but couldn't dig its way out of a 2-0 hole early in the second session in a 2-1 defeat to the host school at the Southern Methodist University Tournament in Dallas, TX.
Junior Jhevaughn Beckford (Kingston, Jamaica/Wolmer's Boys' HS) scored for Hartwick off a rebound with Tim Crawford (Webster, NY/Webster Thomas) assisting roughly ten minutes after SMU's second goal early in the second half to cut the deficit to 2-1.
The Hawks had chances in the second session and outshot the Mustangs 7-6 in the half, but couldn't find the equalizer.
The Mustangs held much of the possession for the first half, but the Hawks' defense kept them at bay, allowing only one real scoring chance in the opening 30 minutes. Juan Castillo made his way into the 'Wick box and rifled a low shot to Hartwick keeper Mateo Munarriz' (Manizales, Colombia/Colegio Granadino) left but it skimmed wide of the post in the 25th minute.
SMU broke through in the 32nd minute. Andrew Morales hit a shot from the 18 after a cross from Deshawon Nembhard. The shot took a deflection off a Hartwick defender which redirected past Munarriz for the 1-0 lead.
The second half did not start well for Hartwick as the Mustangs added a second goal after just five and a half minutes. A short corner from Marco Carrizales was passed across the top of the Hartwick box. Nembhard hit a shot as the Hawk defense was exiting the box and a back heel from Alfred Koroma beat Munarriz to the far post to extend the hosts' advantage.
Despite the two-goal deficit, the Hawks responded in force attacking the Mustang goal. Eight minutes, 50 seconds after SMU's second goal, Beckford followed up a rebound from Crawford for his first goal of the season to cut the margin in half.
In the 66th minute, the Hawks nearly drew even as back Jamie O'Grady (Falkirk, Scotland/Falkirk) hit a shot from 30 yards off the crossbar. Just over six minutes later, Beckford had another chance to even the score line. Following a corner, Matthew Robertson (Banchory, Scotland/Binghamton Univ.) won a header on the far post that dropped in front for Beckford, but his shot from in tight was pushed over the bar.
With just under eight minutes on the clock, a Beckford header almost evened the match once again. He beat goalkeeper Jaime Ibarra to the ball in the box after a Hartwick free kick but his powerful header screamed just over the bar.
The Mustangs maintained possession over the final seven and a half minutes, not allowing Hartwick another chance on goal to escape with the 2-1 win.
SMU held an 11-7 edge in shots for the match. Munarriz finished with two stops in goal. Ibarra also made two saves for the Mustangs.
The Hawks will return to the pitch on Sunday against #13 Tulsa. The Golden Hurricane tied UMKC 1-1 in the tournament opener. Game time will be 12 p.m. (CST).