Sunday's Women's Soccer Results

Updated 9/6/2013

September 9th Scoreboard

Akron 2, Boston 3
Ball State 2, Tennessee 0
Bowling Green 0, IUPUI 1
Central Michigan o, Washington 2
Kent State 1, College of Charleston 0
Eastern Michigan 1, Butler 1
Miami 2, Louisville 3
Ohio 3, Morehead State 1
Toledo 3, Pepperdine 2
Northern Illinois 1, South Dakota State 2
WMU 0, Oakland 2


Akron 2, Boston 3

AKRON, Ohio – The University of Akron women's soccer team (2-2-2) fell to Boston University (3-2-1) by a score of 3-2 on Sunday afternoon at FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field.
After an early goal from Boston's Madison Clemens, Akron's Madison Kaser was able to answer back later in the half courtesy of an assist by Sarah Sivic in the 29th minute to knot the game at one heading into half.
Sivic followed up her assist with a goal of her own, assisted by Brianna Kanz, in the 60th minute, which broke the one-all tie to give UA a 2-1 advantage. The Zips lead was short-lived as the Terriers were able to tie the game with an unassisted goal by Jamie Turchi four minutes later.
The Terriers went on to score the match-deciding goal in the 78th minute with a goal from Erica Kosienski, giving them the 3-2 lead that would stand as the final score
Sophomore goalkeeper Klaire Adee's record fell to 2-2-2 with the loss. Adee recorded three saves on the afternoon to bring her season total to 22.
Overall, the Zips offense registered four shots, all on goal. Leading the squad with shots on goal was junior Lani Smith with two.
Katie George, Maggie Rusnak, Adee, Kanz and Smith all remained on the pitch for the entire 90 minutes.
Akron's next match is scheduled for Sunday, Sept. 15 at Canisius. UA and Canisius matched up in the 2012 season, which resulted in a 1-0 win for the Zips at home. 

Ball State 2, Tennessee 0

MUNCIE, Ind. -- Kelsey Wendlandt scored for the second straight game and Elaina Musleh added her first goal as a Cardinal as the Ball State soccer team posted a 2-0 win Sunday over Tennessee Tech at the Briner Sports Complex.
It was the second shutout victory of the weekend and third of the season for Ball State, which improved to 4-1 overall and a perfect 4-0 at home. Tennessee Tech dropped to 1-5 with the loss.
Senior goalkeeper Layne Schramm played all 90 minutes in the net for the Cardinals and made three saves, including a tough one in the final seconds of the game, to post her first shutout of the year.
Ball State held a large attacking advantage for the third straight game, out-shooting Tennessee Tech by a 22-8 margin. The Cardinals made good on one of those shots in each half.
“I felt we took our chances today when we need to take them,” Ball State coach Craig Roberts said. “I think we needed to be a little more consistent in the flow of our game, but we are very pleased.”
Wendlandt scored the first goal of the day, her third of the season, in the 30th minute. Cailey Starck lofted a free kick from 45 yards out and Michelle Blok got to the ball and played a header in Wendlandt’s direction. The freshman from Fort Wayne spun and put the ball just over the out-stretched hands of Tennessee Tech keeper Jordan Brown.
The lead remained 1-0 until the 64th minute when Madison Over made a break down the right side of the field. She worked her way around her defender and into the box before sliding a pass in front of the net. Musleh was right there to finish it off and give the Cardinals a 2-0 advantage.
“Madison Oyer was a game changer,” Roberts said. “She was a lot more offensive minded, getting into position to set up goals. Kelsey Wendlandt is continuing to find the back of the net, which is great to see, and Elaina Musleh was very good, too. I was delighted with their play.”
Brown played all 90 minutes at keeper for Tennessee Tech and posted six saves while allowing the two Ball State goals.
The Cardinals out-scored Tennessee Tech and Eastern Illinois by a combined total of 5-0 in their two wins this weekend. In four total home games this season, they have out-scored the competition by a 10-1 margin.
Ball State, which played four of its first five at home, will now go on the road for five straight. The Cardinals travel to Colorado Springs, Colo., next weekend to face Colorado College on Friday and Air Force on Sunday.
The next home game for Ball State is not until Oct. 4 when the Cardinals will host Kent State.

Bowling Green 0, IUPUI 1

With the win, the host Jaguars improve to 3-2-1 on the season, while dropping the Falcons to 0-3-0.
Heidorn's goal came off of a Jaguar corner kick, which was taken by Anna Rode. The Jags' Grace Perkowitz settled the ball and sent it to Heidorn, who hit a shot from just outside the 18-yard box that found the back of the net with just over 22 minutes gone.
"We continue to get better game after game," said BGSU head coach Lindsay Basalyga. "Every game we've lost has been by one goal, so we are in games, but we aren't consistently making the big plays to either keep us in the game or win us the game.
"I'm confident in our process, and trust that our players will continue to stay positive and focused on the next opportunity we have to compete."
BGSU redshirt freshman Lauren Cadel posted a double-digit save total for the second consecutive match. Cadel made 10 saves on Sunday, including stops on back-to-back breakaway attempts by IUPUI's Tori Minnich late in the contest.
Arguably the Falcons' best chance of the match came off the boot of junior Sidney Huth in the 73rd minute of play. Huth, BGSU's leading scorer last season, hit a shot that sailed just over the crossbar.
Giselle Guzman and Nichole Kulovitz each played 45 minutes in goal for the hosts, and each were credited with one save. The Jaguars had a 21-5 advantage in shots, with 11 shots on goal to BG's two.
The Falcons' three-match road swing continues next weekend, as BGSU travels to East Lansing for a Friday (Sept. 13) contest against Michigan State. That game, the first of two consecutive trips to the state of Michigan, will begin at 5:00 p.m. After a match at Detroit on Tuesday, Sept. 17, the Brown and Orange will return home to face Evansville at Cochrane Field on Sunday afternoon, Sept. 22.

Central Michigan 0, Washington 2

PORTLAND, Ore. - Central Michigan ended its west coast trip at the Nike Portland invitational with a 2-0 setback to Washington on Sunday afternoon at Merlo Field.
• Redshirt freshman goalkeeper Maddy Bunnell earned the start in net, the first of her career. She finished the day with five saves.
“I thought that Maddy did a good job in her debut," said CMU head coach Peter McGahey. "I thought she managed the game well and her distributions were solid. She made saves that she needed to make that we gave her a chance on. I’m really, really proud of Maddy." 
• The Huskies offensive pressure was felt from the beginning whistle, as they attacked the Chippewas with 21 total shots, the most that CMU has faced this season.
• Freshman forward Becca Schoales led the Huskies with two goals, the first of her college career. Her first goal was a six yard strike off of a defender that snuck past the goalie in the 25th minute.
• Schoales’ second goal occurred in the 52nd minute, as she delivered a header to the back of the net from a cross sent in from senior midfielder Lindsay Elston. Elston recorded an assist in both goals scored by the Huskies and led the team in shots with five.
• UW's Megan Kufeld achieved her second shutout of the season, stopping two Chippewa shots.
• Junior midfielder Emily Cooksey and sophomore defender Michelle Brownlee led the scoring attack, as both supplied shots on goal for the Chippewas.
• Cooksey has recorded a shot on goal in every game this season. Brownlee’s on target shot came from the far left wing in the 56th minute.
• Tory Kinniard, Kaelyn Korte and Nicole Samuel also made contributions as they each had shots on goal.
• Central Michigan continues its month-long six-game road campaign next weekend at the Hoosier Classic in Bloomington Ind. The Chippewas will face Ohio State on Friday, Sept. 13 and host Indiana on Sunday, Sept. 15. Both games are set to start at 3:30 p.m. ET at Bill Armstrong Stadium. 

Eastern Michigan 1, Butler 1

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. ( - The Eastern Michigan University women's soccer team battled the Bulldogs of Butler University for 110 minutes before settling for a 1-1 draw Sunday afternoon at the Butler Bowl, Sept. 8. It was the first tie of the season for the Green and White, who completed a four-match road trip.
Cara Cutaia (Burlington, Ontario-Notre Dame Catholic) scored the game-tying goal in the 65th minute for the Eagles (1-3-1), her third of the season which leads the team. Teammates Marisa Kozikowski (Troy, Mich.-Athens) and Molli Krick (Novi, Mich.-Novi) found Cutaia on the goal, the first assist of the season for both Eagles.
As she has been all season long, EMU goalkeeper Megan McCabe (Arlington Heights, Ill.-Prospect) was active the entire time, saving seven Butler shots. In all, the sophomore saw 22 shots sent in her direction. Eastern managed 10 shots throughout the match, including four on-goal. Butler goalie Julie Burton stopped three of the Eagles' strikes.
Butler forward Katie Griswold found the net for the Bulldogs (4-1-2) with 16:05 remaining in the first half, recording her first goal of the season. Griswold scored on the right side following a misplay from the EMU defense, giving her team the lead at the half, 1-0. The Bulldogs controlled the first half with a 10-4 advantage on shots as Eastern was unable to direct a shot on-goal.
Cutaia took the lead away from the host Bulldogs with 25:37 remaining in regulation. Kozikowski and Krick teamed up to find an open Cutaia, and the team co-captain sent a floater 20 yards through the air and over the head of the Butler goalie, tying the game at one goal apiece.
Both teams tried taking the lead near the end of regulation. With just over 10 minutes left, Butler's Sophia Maccagnone blasted a strike towards McCabe, but the EMU keeper secured the save to keep the Eagles alive. Just over one minute later, EMU flipped the field as Stephanie Clarke (London, Ontario-St. Thomas Aquinas) sent a ball toward the net, but it was denied by Burton. With the game tied after 90 minutes, the Eagles would find themselves in their third overtime game of the young 2013 campaign.
Neither team could find the goal in both overtime periods. Butler had the best opportunity in the second overtime as Maccagnone hit the crossbar in the 102nd minute. Griswold tried to follow the deflection for her second goal of the game to give Butler the win, but the shot sailed high and the two teams settled for the draw.
Eastern returns to the friendly confines of Sciculna Field Sunday, Sept. 15, to begin a five-game homestand. The Eagles will take on in-state rival Michigan State University at 1 p.m. in the only game of the week for EMU.

Kent State 1, College of Charleston 0

MT. PLEASANT, S.C.  – Junior Stephanie Haugh scored in the 21st minute to lead the Kent State women's soccer team to a 1-0 win over the College of Charleston at Patriots Point on Sunday afternoon.  The victory improved the Golden Flashes to 4-2 overall, while the Cougars dropped to 2-4.    Haugh and seniors Katherine Lawrence and Morgan Mah earned a spot on the All-Tournament team for their solid effort throughout the weekend.  
"I was very happy with how the team came out and competed today," said Head Coach Rob Marinaro.  "It was a solid road win against a good team." 
Kent State senior Jaclyn Dutton earned her first point of the season when she assisted in today's game-winning goal.  Dutton played the ball over the middle to Haugh, who scored her first goal of the season on the volley, to give the Flashes a 1-0 lead over the Cougars.
The Golden Flashes kept the College of Charleston goalkeepers busy, as Dutton fired off a shot just one minute later, but was stopped by Eli Sarasola.   Another good look came in the 33rd minute when Calli Rinicella ripped a shot toward the net but was sent away by Sarasola.
Kent State led 8-5 in shots in the first period and also had the lone corner kick.  Goalkeepers Stephanie Senn and Sarasola each had three saves entering halftime.
The College of Charleston came out on the attack after the intermission.  In the 57th minute, Senn made a diving save after a shot by McCallie Jones, and Danielle Mellem had two good looks over the next 10 minutes that were picked up by Senn to remain with a lead that would eventually win the game.
Kent State edged the Cougars in shots, 12-11, and led 4-0 in corner kicks.  Senn had a season-high eight saves in 90 minutes in goal, while Taylor Avery and Eli Sarasola combined for five saves in goal for Charleston.
The Golden Flashes will remain on the road to play Cincinnati at 1 p.m. on Sept. 15.  Kent State will then host Youngstown State (9/20), Central Michigan (9/27) and Bowling Green (9/29).

Miami 2, Louisville 3

OXFORD, Ohio – Jumping out to a two-goal lead, the Miami University women’s soccer team looked poised for a big win over Louisville, but the Cardinals rallied in the second half and clipped the RedHawks in overtime, handing Miami a 3-2 loss Sunday afternoon at Miami Soccer Field. The RedHawks (3-2-0) saw their three-match win streak snapped in defeat while Louisville (2-2-1), which has played a very difficult schedule, picked up its first win since the season opener.
Miami came out attacking early, earning a corner kick less than a minute into the match. The RedHawks then struck first in the 16th minute with some crisp passing. Junior midfielder Kelsey Dinges played a through ball to senior midfielder Kayla Zakrzewski down the left side. Zakrzewski then one-timed a cross to the opposite side of the goal where sophomore midfielder Haley Walter was all alone for the putaway. It was her second goal of the year.
Following the RedHawks’ score however, the Cardinals started to get into a rhythm and controlled possession. Louisville nearly tied it in the 25th minute but senior goalkeeper Allison Norenberg made a diving stop to get her fingers on a shot by Christine Exeter that was bending away from Norenberg and forced it outside the post. Ten minutes later, the Cardinals had another close call but Charlyn Corral’s turn and fire hit the post.
“We are set up to do certain things on the field during the game. When we stop doing those things and go away from those things, we’re not as good or effective. I felt like the first 15-20 minutes of the game, we went out and did the things we we’re supposed to be doing. Then when we got the lead, for whatever reason we decided we were going to sit back and defend it and we’re not set up to do that,” Miami head coach Bobby Kramig said. “We’re at our best when we’re going forward, we’re attacking and putting other teams under pressure. And when we stop doing that and all we do is sit back and clear the ball, instead of passing, we get into trouble. I thought we got into the mode and it took until halftime to get out of it.”
Miami was able to hold onto its 1-0 lead through the first 45 minutes, despite being outshot 10-3 in the first half. Norenberg came up with three big saves in the opening period to help counter the Cardinal attack, which also earned four of the five corner kicks awarded in the first frame.
After regrouping at the break, the RedHawks again came out playing tough and attacking Louisville. Miami earned a quick foul and Dinges took a free kick from just inside the midfield stripe. Her boot was sent into the box, where Cardinals keeper Paige Brown came out to play it, but she only got a hand on it. The ball bounced right to sophomore midfielder Jess Bronke, who buried it in the open net for a 2-0 Miami lead just 1:02 into the second half. The goal was her second in as many games, after scoring her first career goal at IPFW two days earlier. Dinges also collected her second assist of the day on the play, marking her first career multi-assist contest.
Like in the first half however, Louisville awoke after Miami’s second goal and quickly pulled level on a pair of goals from Corral, who also plays on the Mexican National Team. First, in the 54th minute, Exeter sent a pass that bounced into the box, where Corral chipped it over a charging Norenberg to cut Miami’s lead in half. Then, just 44 seconds later, Corral struck again, dribbling around the Miami defense and ripping a shot from 15 yards just inside the right post past a diving Norenberg to knot the match at 2-2.
“We came out in the second half and got the early goal and then we switched right back into (playing defensive). We can’t play that way. We don’t practice that. That’s not how we play,” Kramig said. “When we get away from the things we do best, like anything, you’re going to get into trouble. I felt like the best thing that happened to us was that second goal (by Louisville) because then we started playing again. The game evened out, we had a couple of good chances.”
With the score tied, possession also started to even out as shots were 9-7 UL in the second stanza. In the 69th minute, Louisville had a good look at goal after some passing put Erin Yenney in alone but Norenberg quickly charged off her line and slid to stop the close-range shot from Yenney. The RedHawks then had two good chances of their own in the final 11 minutes of regulation from senior midfielder Katy Dolesh. First, after some quick passing, Dolesh was in alone on the right side but her blast sailed wide right of the goal. Then, with seven minutes left, the captain sent in a lob shot from just inside the penalty box that caromed off the crossbar, as the match went to overtime – Miami’s first of the year.
Less than 30 seconds into the extra session, Zakrzewski put a shot on target for the ‘Hawks, but Brown was there for the save. Corral then hit the crossbar for Louisville in the second minute of overtime. Corral wasn’t finished however, as in the fifth minute of overtime she set up Nicole Mitchell for the game-winner. Corral tried to pass into the box and a Miami defender deflected it out to the top of the box where Mitchell came flying in and blasted a shot into the right side of the net, giving the Cardinals the 3-2 victory in the 95th minute.
“On the game-winner, we had a little bit of a dive-in on a tackle at midfield and then we missed a check back. Those kinds of things will happen at the end of the game. It’s 90 degrees out here and in overtime,” Kramig said. “It’s not uncommon, but I was proud of the effort and I think we can come out of this with a lot of positives, having learned some valuable lessons that will stand up well for us as the season goes along.”
Louisville finished with a 22-11 edge in shots, 10 of which came off the foot of Corral, however the Cardinals held just a slight 8-6 advantage in shots on goal. Norenberg totaled five saves in the contest while Brown compiled four. Corner kicks also ended even at 6-6 after Miami earned five corners to UL’s two in the second 45 minutes.
“The lesson in all of this is we need to do what we do and we need to stick with what we’re set up to do,” Kramig added. “That’s the takeaway.”
The RedHawks look to get back on track as they continue a three-game homestand next weekend when they host Milwaukee on Friday, Sept. 13 at 4 p.m. and Purdue on Sunday, Sept. 15 at 1 p.m. Sunday’s match will also be Senior Day.

Ohio 3, Morehead State 1

ATHENS, Ohio – The Ohio University women’s soccer team (3-2-1) continued its red hot play of late on Sunday afternoon at Chessa Field, defeating the Morehead State Eagles, 3-1, to grab the team’s third-straight victory.
The Bobcats broke a 1-1 tie wide open in the second half, posting two unanswered goals over the game’s final 20 minutes to secure the win.
Senior Maggie Murnane (Libertyville, Ill.) recorded her team-leading third goal of the season, while freshman Alexis Milesky (Plain City, Ohio) posted her second of the season while taking a team-high four shots (two on goal).
Senior goalkeeper Mattie Liston (Lakewood, Ohio) played all 90 minutes in goal for the ‘Cats, allowing just one goal while making four saves.
With the three-goal output Sunday, Ohio is now averaging an impressive 3.3 goals per game over its last three contests.
The Bobcats came out of the gate firing, as Milesky posted her score in the first minute to give Ohio an early 1-0 lead. The freshman took a pass at the top right of the 18-yard attack box and rifled a shot past Morehead State goaltender Hannah Collins for the score.
The Eagles posted the equalizer in the eighth minute of action, as Holly Tilley took a low cross and buried it into the lower right corner of the Ohio goal to tie the match at one.
Ohio controlled possession over the next seven minutes and used some aggressive play on the offensive end to secure a corner kick and two shots. The Bobcats had another nice chance at 27’, as Milesky had a clear look at the goal but could not put her shot past Collins.
After another save at 30’ by Liston, Ohio could not convert on a pair of shots on goal in the half’s final 15 minutes and the ‘Cats entered intermission tied with the Eagles at one.
After back-and-forth play for the first 25 minutes of action in the second half, Ohio took the lead at 71’ as Murnane played a beautiful header into the back of the net off a corner kick from junior Tonya Frasik (Lebanon, Ohio).
Ohio added a goal seven minutes later to provide some cushion (3-1), as Milesky fed a pass into the attack box that was headed by a Morehead State defender into the Eagles’ goal. The score clinched the game for the Bobcats and earned the team its first home win of 2013.
The Bobcats return to action Friday (Sept. 13) with a match at Youngstown State. The contest is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.

Toledo 3, Pepperdine 2

TOLEDO, OH – Toledo took advantage of a hat trick by senior Rachel MacLeod to post a thrilling 3-2 victory over No. 22 Pepperdine on Sunday at Scott Park. The win was the first for the Rockets (2-4-0) over a nationally ranked team.
MacLeod found the back of the net on one occasion in the first half and twice after the intermission to help the Midnight Blue & Gold shock the West Coast Conference member Waves (2-2-1).
With today’s effort, MacLeod becomes only the eighth player in school history to register at least three goals in a match and first since Brittany Hensler turned the trick against Kent State on Oct. 18, 2009. The 2011 Mid-American Conference Offensive Player of the Year also moved into sole possession of fourth place in UT annals with 26 career tallies.
PU started fast in today’s non-league matchup and had an opportunity to jump on the scoreboard with a little under 32 minutes left in the opening half on a shot by Taylor Alvarado. The Waves forward accepted a nice cross from teammate Lynn Williams in the middle of the Toledo goal box about six yards from the touch line. Alvarado gained possession of the ball in traffic and fired a shot on frame that UT sophomore netminder Sam Tiongson made an impressive diving save on to keep the contest scoreless. Tiongson finished today’s match with a career-high eight saves.
A little over 10 minutes later, Toledo was presented with its first scoring chance on a blast off the foot of junior tri-captain Meghan Topolewski. The Rockets played a corner kick into the Pepperdine goal box, but the ball was initially cleared out of danger. Topolewski then won a free ball in space around the top of the PU circle and found a small seam in the defense. She quickly fired a shot that sailed wide of the target.
Pepperdine continued to apply heavy pressure offensively as the first half wore on, and the visitors took advantage of UT’s unsuccessful attempt at an offside trap to grab the early lead on a goal by Williams at 29:26. Teammate Rylee Baisden played a thru ball to Williams past the last line of the Toledo defense, before the skilled attacker finished the sequence with a low shot out of the reach of Tiongson, who had come off her line to try to cut down Williams’ angle at the frame.
UT did not panic despite facing the early deficit and retaliated with the first of MacLeod’s three goals at the 36:28 mark. The Westerville, OH native received a nice pass from junior Alexis Tice down the right side of the pitch to start the play. MacLeod then went to work and easily beat a pair PU defenders and juked their goalie before hammering home the equalizer.
The Midnight Blue & Gold fed off the emotion of the equalizer to begin the second half and captured its first lead on MacLeod’s second tally at 49:25. The home team strung together some good passes from sophomores Geri Siudzinski and Kika Hernandez to MacLeod deep in Pepperdine territory on the right side. The slick-footed MacLeod then finished the play with a couple more nifty moves to shake past a pair of PU defenders and perfectly placed a low shot by goalie Hannah Seabert to make the score 2-1.
Over the next 15-or-so minutes, the Waves had two close-range opportunties to score and once again draw the teams even, but Toledo’s Tiongson stood her ground and denied both chances.
The first opportunity came on a pair of shots by Michelle Pao with a little over 34 minutes left in regulation. Pao had the ball deep in UT territory when she fired off a shot that was initially blocked by the interior of the defense. The ball bounced right back to Pao, who quickly regained her composure, and blasted a shot from point-blank range that Tiongson punched over the bar and out of danger.
The other chance to get the equalizer occurred when PU’s Kristen Rodriquez had slipped behind the UT defense and was all alone with Tiongson with approximately 30 minutes remaining in the match. Fortunately for the Rockets, Rodriguez took one too many chances and Tiongson came off her line and stole the ball off her foot before she was able to get a shot off.
With time starting to become an issue, Pepperdine made one final push and it paid off when Williams scored her second goal of the contest at 81:06. PU goalie Seabert played a long and high ball deep into the teeth of the UT defense. The sphere took a funny hop and bounced over the backline to a streaking Williams who easily beat Tiongson to make the score 2-2 with less than nine minutes remaining.
Toledo did not want to settle for overtime, but rather played for the victory in regulation and applied great pressure in the closing moments. UT’s MacLeod had the ball deep in Pepperdine territory on the right side, before being tripped from behind on the edge of the PU goal box after beating a defender to set up a penalty kick with only 1:34 left in regulation.
MacLeod calmly stepped to the ball to take the kick and perfectly placed a shot into the lower-left corner to provide the eventual match winner and send the UT bench and its fans into a frenzy.
The Waves finished the contest with a 20-9 advantage in shots. UT’s MacLeod and PU’s Williams shared top honors with six shots each. Toledo also held with a slight 5-4 edge in corner kicks.
The Rockets will return to the pitch on Friday, Sept. 20 when they host Missouri Valley Conference member Indiana State. The opening whistle is slated for 5:00 p.m. at Scott Park.

Northern Illinois 1, South Dakota State 2

BROOKINGS, S.D. - Northern Illinois took on South Dakota State this afternoon to conclude the Jackrabbit Invitational in Brookings, S.D. Unfortunately for the Huskies, it was a sour ending, as a tight match was dropped when SDSU's Caylee Costello headed in a corner kick during the 89h minute to give the Jackrabbits the late 2-1 advantage. That held, and the Huskies fell to 2-3-0 on the season.
Much of the action in this game came during the first half. The Jackrabbits were able to strike first when Megan Kingston threaded a pass to Alyssa Brazil in the 13th minute. In the 35th minute, Sara Spaulding (Milton, Wis./Milton) fought back with her first goal of the season. The two teams went into the half tied at 1-1.
The second half was a defensive battle, but SDSU held an advantage. The Jackrabbits applied more pressure, firing nine shots while also taking six corner kicks to the Huskies' one during the final 45 minutes. Even still, for much of the half, it seemed as though the teams would be headed to overtime since the Huskies were bending, but not breaking. Overtime never happened though, as the Jackrabbits were able to get the corner kick and header combination to work and go ahead just before the end of regulation.
"We'll work hard in practice to get better for our next time out," said Head Coach John Ross. Three of Ross' players were honored as members of the All-Tournament Team for the Jackrabbit Invitational, including Spaulding, Emily Nulty (Omaha, Neb./Marian), and Allie McBride (Naperville, Ill./Neuqua Valley). Ross also gave praise to Lauren Noonan (Naperville, Ill./Neuqua Valley) for her play over the weekend. 
Next up for the Huskies is a game in Green Bay, Wis. against the Phoenix. That one will be on Friday, September 13 at 7 p.m.

WMU 0, Oakland 2

ROCHESTER, Mich. -- The Western Michigan women’s soccer team dropped  hard-fought decision on the road at Oakland University, 2-0, in front of 356 fans on Sunday evening.
Oakland opened up the scoring in the 28th minute when Abigail Haelewyn volleyed a pass from Brianne Horne into the net from 10 yards out to give the Grizzlies an early 1-0 lead. 
After being held to just two shots in the first half, the Broncos (1-3-1) charged hard in the second half with eight shots and four on goal. WMU wasn’t able to get a shot past Payj O’Shea on the evening, with Oakland’s keeper stopping all six shots that landed on goal.
The Grizzlies put the nail in the coffin with 31 seconds remaining in the game. Kyla Kellerman fired a low shot from 20 yards into the right corner of the net to put the game away, 2-0.
“It was a very disappointing first half,” said head coach Nate Norman. “We didn’t bring any energy and we have to find a way to never start a game like that again. We played well in the second half but there are no moral victories, it simply wasn’t good enough.”
Michelle Watson made two saves in net, while junior Aubrey Sudomier led the team with three total shots and landed two on net. 
WMU looks to rebound but faces a tough test on Thursday at Northwestern at 8 p.m.