Friday's Women's Soccer Results

Updated 9/6/2013

Friday's Women's Soccer Scoreboard 9/6

Akron 1, Youngstown 1
Kent State 0, Coastal Carolina 1
Central Michigan 0, Portland 1
Miami 3, IPFW 0
Ohio 2, Niagara 1
Toledo 0, Pittsburgh 1
Ball State 3, Eastern Illinois 0
Eastern Michigan 0, Indiana 1
Northern Illinois 1, South Dakota 3


Akron 1, Youngstown 1

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – In their third overtime game of the season, The University of Akron (2-1-2) women's soccer team played Youngstown State (1-3-1) to a one-all  draw on Friday evening at Farmers National Bank Field. 
Junior Lani Smith provided Akron with their lone goal of the game in the 16th minute, which was assisted by Broadview Heights, Ohio native Sarah Sivic. Smith has now collected two goals in the past two matches.
Akron held Youngstown scoreless through the first half, as sophomore goalie Klaire Adee collected three saves in her first 45 minutes in goal. However, late in the second half, the Penguins knotted the game at one with a goal in the 78th minute.
Both overtimes went scoreless with both teams playing strong defense throughout the periods. Adee finished the game with five total saves, giving her 19 total on the season. Her record now stands at 2-1-2 for the season. 
Friday's one-all tie marks the fourth straight game that the Akron defense has held opponents to one goal or less. Katie George and Brianna Kanz remained on the pitch for the full 110 minutes, with Abby Gindlesberger (38 minutes) and Gillian Gross (88 minutes) providing strong support in the draw.
Zips women's soccer will come back to Akron on Sunday for the 2013 home opener at FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field against the Boston University Terriers. Kickoff is set for 12 p.m., on Sunday.

Kent State 0, Coastal Carolina 1

MT. PLEASANT, S.C. - The Kent State women's soccer team fell 1-0 to the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers in the first game of the College of Charleston Cup at Patriots Point on Friday evening.   The win improved the Chanticleers to 3-1-1 on the year, while Kent State dropped to 3-2-0.
Coastal Carolina came out on the attack, out-shooting the Golden Flashes 8-1 in the first 45 minutes of play.  However, the stingy Kent State defense, including four saves by goalkeeper Stephanie Senn, kept the Chanticleers off the scoreboard in the first period.
After the intermission, the Chanticleers came out and scored at the 59:51 mark, after Fia Jonsson accepted a pass from Mikayla Williams and put it past Senn.  The goal gave Coastal Carolina a 1-0 lead over the Golden Flashes, and would eventually earn the squad the win.
Senn tallied a season-high seven saves in goal for Kent State, while Coastal Carolina keeper Megan Spencer earned just one.
Megan Johnson led the Kent State offense with two shots, while four other Flashes took one.  Shelby Simmons, who played 21 minutes in tonight's game, had the lone shot on goal in the 66th minute.
Coastal Carolina led 15-6 in shots, and finished with a 4-3 advantage in corner kicks.
The Golden Flashes will now take on host College of Charleston at 2:30 p.m. on Sunday. 

Central Michigan 0, Portland 1

PORTLAND, Ore. - In front of a raucous crowd at Merlo Field in Portland, a late second half goal made the difference as Central Michigan fell, 1-0, in its first-ever meeting with 10th-ranked Portland at the Nike Invitational.  
• Portland wasted no time in the initial 20 minutes of the first half with a flurry of shots on goal, but CMU responded throughout the rest of the half behind freshman goalkeeper Heather Laeufer’s five first half saves. Laeufer ended the night matching a career-high seven saves in her third consecutive start.
• Junior defender Morgan Wilcoxon made her presence known on Friday night, frustrating the high-octance pilot offense. 
“I thought that Morgan Wilcoxon played a really, really good game," said head coach Peter McGahey. “I thought she reached good havoc offensively and defensively they really did not want to go down her side very much.” 
• Midfielder Kaelyn Korte supplied the Chippewas with its best opportunity for a score in the 40th minute when her shot from the top of the box was deflected by sophomore Pilot goalkeeper Erin Dees. The scoring chance marked the sophomore transfer from Creighton’s first shot on goal in a CMU uniform.
• A second half surge by Portland in the 65th minute supplied a quality opportunity for a score, but once again Lauefer was up to the challenge as she saved a quick header delivered from freshman Ellie Boon off a set piece. Pilot midfielder Boon failed to find the back of the net again only a minute later when Lauefer extended to block her strike aimed at the corner of the net.  
• Chippewa junior forward Laura Gosse and junior midfielder Emily Cooksey also applied pressure on Portland’s defense both recording shots on goal. Cooksey has tallied a shot on goal in every game this season for CMU.
• The scoreless tie was broken with just nine minutes left in the match when Ellen Parker scored her second goal of the season with a strike from inside the box. The goal was supplemented by an assist from Ellie Boon, her first assist of the season.
• The Chippewas will conclude its west coast trip on Sunday when CMU takes on the Washington Huskies at 12 p.m. PT at Merlo Field in Portland, Ore. 

Miami 3, IPFW 0

FORT WAYNE, Ind. – Suffering a disappointing loss to IPFW last year in Oxford, the Miami University women’s soccer team made sure history did not repeat itself Friday night as the RedHawks avenged their 2012 loss with a 3-0 victory over the Mastodons at Hefner Soccer Field. Miami (3-1-0), which has now won its last three matches, fell to IPFW (2-3-0) in double overtime a season ago despite more than doubling them in shots.
“I thought it was a solid, professional effort on our part tonight. IPFW is a tough, competitive team and they came at us hard all night long,” head coach Bobby Kramig said. “Our kids did a good job keeping their composure and staying on task all night.”
For the second straight match, the RedHawks dominated the opening period and wasted little time scoring on Friday. After earning a corner kick in the 14th minute, junior midfielder Kelsey Dinges sent the ball into the box, where it bounced around until sophomore midfielder Haley Walter connected with the ball and put it in the upper right corner of the frame for a 1-0 Miami lead and her first tally of the year.
The RedHawks continued to keep the pressure on IPFW. In the 26th minute, Dinges nearly scored herself on a free kick, but her blast rang off the crossbar. Miami did double its lead in the 41st minute. After another free kick, freshman midfielder Taylor Jackson found senior midfielder Katy Dolesh, who blasted the ball past Mastodon keeper Sam Pavlika and into the left corner of the net. The goal was Dolesh’s second of the year, while Jackson earned her team-leading second helper of 2013 on the play.
Miami almost went up 3-0 in the closing seconds of half one but sophomore midfielder Jess Bronke’s rocket from 40 yards out sailed just over the goal. Miami took its 2-0 lead into halftime after outshooting IPFW, 10-0, during the first 45 minutes. The ‘Hawks held Belmont without a shot in the first half, as well, in Miami’s last game Aug. 30. The RedHawks also earned four corners in the first stanza while giving up just one.
The second half saw more of the same, as Miami forced IPFW into multiple fouls, while picking up three corner kicks in the first seven minutes. In the 63rd minute, Dinges had another good scoring chance, but Pavlika got her fingertips on the ball to tip it over the crossbar. The RedHawks then capped their scoring in the 77th minute when Bronke scored her first career goal at Miami. Following a scramble inside the penalty box, Bronke was able to boot the ball out of midair and beat Pavlika to her left side to complete the 3-0 victory.
Freshman goalkeeper Vic Maniaci made her first career start in net and picked up both her first career win and first collegiate shutout in her first action as a RedHawk. Miami’s defense contributed to the clean sheet, playing strong in the back and preventing the Mastodons from even putting a shot on target. The 'Hawks have not allowed a goal in any of their last three games.
“Congrats to Vic on her first collegiate start, shutout and victory,” Kramig said. “She wasn’t terribly busy but what she needed to do, she did, and I’m pleased with her performance.”
Miami finished with a 13-3 edge in shots for the match, including 7-0 in shots on goal, but Pavlika made a pair of saves in each half to keep IPFW in the contest. The RedHawks racked up five more corner kicks in the second stanza and finished with a 9-2 advantage in corners on the night.
The RedHawks look to continue their winning streak Sunday when they host Louisville at Miami Soccer Field at 1 p.m. Senior goalkeeper Allison Norenberg, who had started the first three matches this year and every match the previous two seasons, is scheduled to be back in net against the Cardinals.

Ohio 2, Niagara 1

LEWISTON, N.Y. – The Ohio University women’s soccer team (2-2-1) rallied back from a 1-0 deficit by netting a pair of goals in the final 22 minutes of play to earn a 2-1 victory on the road over Niagara University. The win was the Bobcats second-consecutive victory on the year. 
The Bobcats controlled play for most of the match as the outshot Niagara 15-5. Ohio also held a 7-5 advantage on corner kicks. 
“We didn’t play our best tonight, but we found a way to win and that is the mark of a solid team,” said head coach Aaron Rodgers. “Our team showed a tremendous amount of heart to go out there and come from behind to get the win.”
Despite controlling play for most of the evening, Niagara opened up the scoring as it found the net in the 68th minute of play. Niagara scored the first goal of the match as sophomore midfielder Kori Thorne’s shot found the back of the net just outside the 18-yard box to give the Purple Eagles a 1-0 advantage.
“Niagara gave us a good strong game and I give them a lot of credit,” Rodgers said. 
Ohio evened the match in the 84th minute at one as senior captain Maggie Murnane (Libertyville, Ill.) drilled a goal in the lower right hand corner just inside the 18-yard box. Murnane’s equalizer was her second goal on the year. It also marked the second straight game in which she found the net. 
“She’s doing a her job as a leader and as a captain and I couldn’t be happier for her,” Rodgers said. 
Sophomore Holly Harris (Batavia, Ohio) and junior Tonya Frasik (Lebanon, Ohio) both registered assists on Murnane’s goal.
The match appeared to be headed for overtime as the score was still tied at one apiece in the 89th minute, but Harris had other ideas as she scored the game-winning goal at the 89:55 mark. Harris’ goal came off of a corner kick from Frasik.
“I think we are making progress as a team and we are beginning to take steps in the right direction,” Rodgers said. 
Ohio returns home on Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. as it welcomes Morehead State to Chessa Field.

Toledo 0, Pittsburgh 1

PITTSBURGH, PA – Toledo sustained a 1-0 setback at Pittsburgh on Friday under the lights at Ambrose Urbanic Field. With the loss, the Rockets fall to 1-4-0 on the season.
The Panthers (4-1-1) scored the match’s lone goal in the 42nd minute to claim their first victory against UT in three all-time matchups. The Midnight Blue & Gold registered a pair of 2-1 victories during the 2005 and 2008 seasons.
Pitt’s Morgan Sharick headed in the match-winning score on a corner kick from Katie Lippert at the 41:55 mark. Lippert placed the ball to the far post and Sharick drove it home for her first score of the year.
"The path for our team continues to take unique twists and turns,” Toledo Head Coach Brad Evans said. “For the most part, the physical effort there tonight. We did a good job early of keeping Pitt's chances coming from distance. While we didn't create too much in the first half, the game plan worked. The downfall was the corner kick late in the opening period. I give Pittsburgh a lot of credit for taking advantage. When we pressed for an equalizer, we created some positive momentum but it simply wasn't enough. We have to emerge from this stretch stronger and smarter."
Pittsburgh finished the non-league matchup with a sizable 21-3 edge in shots and a 3-2 advantage in corner kicks. Senior Rachel MacLeod was credited with two shots, while classmate Emily Tustin tallied the other shot. Riliegh McHugh paced the victors with a match-best six shots, followed by Alex Charlebois and Ella Vanhanen with three shots each.
The host Panthers started the match with their guns blazing and fired off eight shots over the opening 15-plus minutes. Fortunately for the Rockets, all of Pitt’s shots sprayed wide of the frame.
UT settled down following the Pitt’s shot barrage at the outset and held the home team without a shot over the next 25-plus minutes.
During this stretch, UT was credited with its lone shot in the opening period on a blast off the foot of Tustin at the 35:00 mark.  
With the first stanza winding down, Pittsburgh took advantage of the well-placed corner kick by Lippert to strike first blood on Sharick’s goal with a little over three minutes left on the clock before intermission.  
In the second stanza, the Panthers posted a 12-2 edge in shots and did not allow Toledo to put an attempt on goal to preserve the shutout.
Sophomore Sam Tiongson drew the start in goal and was called upon to make only one save. Tiongson has now started five of the first five matches this season.
"Tonight was a tough loss for our team,” senior Ashley Ross said. “Playing close games like the one we played tonight shows how important one play is and how one play, one second, can make a difference. I’m proud to be a Rocket tonight because there was no let down on the field. We pushed until that clock hit zero and we will continue to strive for better.”
The Rockets return to the pitch on Sunday, Sept. 8 when they host No. 22 Pepperdine at 12:05 p.m. at Scott Park. The non-league matchup against the Waves will be televised live on BCSN.

Ball State 3, Eastern Illinois 0

MUNCIE, Ind. -- The Ball State soccer team bombarded Eastern Illinois early in Friday’s matchup at the Briner Sports Complex on the way to a 3-0 victory over the Panthers.
It was the second shutout of the season for Ball State as a team and for freshman goalkeeper Brooke Dennis. The Cardinals improved to 3-1 and remained perfect at home, while Eastern Illinois dropped to 0-5 with the loss.
Ball State will be back in action Sunday with a 1 p.m. home game against Tennessee Tech. Live stats and a radio broadcast by Sports Link Radio on WCRD will be available at
All three Ball State goals Friday against Eastern Illinois came before halftime, and they all had one common thread in sophomore midfielder Elaina Musleh. A product of Carmel, Ind., and a transfer from Kentucky, Musleh assisted on all three scores as the Cardinals pushed the envelope offensively from the start of the game.
“We have really emphasized having the mentality to take the opportunities in the attacking third, and we did that today,” Ball State coach Craig Roberts said. “Regardless of the result, we were going to make sure we had a change in mentality about taking the opportunities, and I was delighted with the girls’ approach.”
The opening two goals of the afternoon came within 30 seconds of each other in the game’s 23rd minute. The first came when Musleh fired a shot that was blocked and came to rest at the feet of Maimee Morris, who drilled the ball into the net from the top of the box for the first goal of her senior year.
Shortly after the ball was back in play, Musleh again found herself with it at the top of the box. This time, she fed a short pass to her left and Kelsey Wendlandt ripped a shot past Eastern Illinois goalkeeper Kylie Morgan to give Ball State a 2-0 lead.
Then, within a minute of halftime, Musleh threaded a pass to Erin Greeley in the right side of the box, and Greeley was able to beat the EIU keeper to the left side of the net. For both Wendlandt and Greeley, the goals were their second of the season.
The final goal capped a first half in which Ball State registered 22 shots, including 10 on goal, and held Eastern Illinois to just three shots. While the Panthers managed to find some more opportunities in the second half, the Cardinals more than tripled them in shots for the game at 31-10.
Dennis, who didn’t face a shot on goal in the first half, was tested a little more in the second and was able to corral five saves. Emily Hinton played the second half in the net for Eastern Illinois and made four saves without allowing a goal.
The offensive performance over the opening 45 minutes marked the second three-goal half for Ball State this year. The Cardinals recorded three scores in the second half against Green Bay on Aug. 25.
Ball State entered Friday’s game leading the Mid-American Conference in goals against average and only improved upon that number. The Cardinals have now surrendered just two goals through four games.

Eastern Michigan 0, Indiana 1

BLOOMINGTON, IND. ( – The Eastern Michigan University women's soccer team dropped its third straight game to a Big Ten Conference opponent as the Indiana University Hoosiers won a low-scoring affair, 1-0, Friday evening at Bill Armstrong Stadium, Sept. 6. It was the first time this season the Eagles were held scoreless.
EMU's brutal non-conference schedule continued as the unbeaten Hoosiers (4-0-1) were led by goalkeeper Shannon Flower (4-0-1) who recorded her fourth shutout of the season. The IU senior has been outstanding all year, only allowing one goal through five games. The Green and White managed only four shots on-goal throughout the contest.
Sophomore goalkeeper Megan McCabe (Arlington Heights, Ill. -Prospect) (1-3-0) took the loss, stopping five shots while facing 25 total shots. In the 90-minute match, IU outshot the Eagles, 25-11.
Angela Vultaggio sent two shots on-goal to lead the Green and White, while Cara Cutaia (Burlington, Ontario-Notre Dame Catholic) and Bianca Rossi (Mississauga, Ontario-St. Marcellinus) also sent shots towards the net that were saved by Flower.
Both defenses held their ground in the first half as neither team could find the net. Indiana took 14 shots while Eastern managed five during the first half.
In the 50th minute, IU recorded the game's only goal, taking advantage of a corner kick. Midfielder Kayleigh Steigerwalt sent the ball into the box, connecting with the head of Jessie Bujouves to give the Hoosiers the 1-0 lead that it would need to win the contest.
The Eagles will stay in Indiana to complete their four-game road trip, battling Butler in a Sunday matinee, Sept. 8, at 1 p.m.

Northern Illinois 1, South Dakota 3

DeKALB, Ill. - The Huskies saw their record drop to 2-2-0 on Friday with an afternoon loss to the South Dakota Coyotes in the first game of the Jackrabbit Invitational. It was a tough game for the Huskies in Brookings, S.D. as they failed to score in the second half while the Coyotes did so twice to seal the victory. 
"We played better in the first half, but we didn't capitalize," said Head Coach John Ross. "We had our chances. In the end, the played harder than us." 
Neither team scored during the first 30 minutes of play. As the 31st minute came, things started happening. South Dakota struck first with an unassisted goal by Elena Tsakakis. Sara Spaulding (Milton, Wis./Milton) and Nicole Gobbo (Bartlett, Ill./Bartlett) were having none of that, as they connected to tie the game in the 32nd minute for Gobbo's second goal of the season. The game went into the half tied at 1-1. 
When the second half began, things began to go wrong for the Huskies. In the 53rd minute, South Dakota's Rebecca Sparkman scored to give the Coyotes a 2-1 lead. Jamie Karch followed her score with one of her own in the 60th minute, giving South Dakota a two-goal lead. This was enough to hold off the Huskies and give South Dakota the 3-1 victory. 
The Huskies will remain in Brookings to face South Dakota State on Sunday, September 8 at 1:00. The game between the Huskies and Jackrabbits will be the final game of the Jackrabbit Invitational.