Wednesday's MAC Men's Basketball Results

Updated 12/20/2012

Wednesday's MAC Men's Basketball Results
Duquesne 71, Western Michigan 66
UMass 85, Ohio 76
Wright State 67, Miami 59
Seattle 75, Northern Illinois 48

Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments

Duquesne 71, Western Michigan 66

PITTSBURGH, Pa. - Shayne Whittington recorded a career-high in points in recording his third double-double of the season, but the Western Michigan men's basketball team was unable to keep up with the Duquesne Dukes in the second half in falling 71-66 at the A.J. Palumbo Center on Wednesday.  With the loss, the Broncos fall to 7-4 overall.  They will return home to host Mount St. Mary's on Saturday after a four-game road swing.

Whittington powered the Broncos' offense, especially as they attempted to claw back into fray in the second half.  Whittington set a new career-high with 20 points, and his 10 rebounds gave him a team-leading three double-doubles on the season.  The Broncos out-scored the Dukes 26-20 in the paint, but Duquesne poured in 12 three-pointers to take the edge over the Broncos.
The strongest part of the game for the Broncos came after they watched the Dukes expand the lead in the early part of the second half.  Duquesne went on a 13-4 run to start the second half, taking a 49-36 lead with 15:09 to play, but the Broncos fought back and pulled to within one possession five minutes later.  Connar Tava scored four straight points for the Broncos, kicking off the run by stripping the ball from Derrick Colter at the 15:00 mark and scoring on a fast break lay-up.  Tava would strike again at the 13:16 mark, drawing a foul from the Dukes' Martins Abele and making a pair of free throws to cut the Dukes' lead to nine points.
Brandon Pokley made a pair of free throws at the 12:12 mark to cut the deficit to 49-42, and Darius Paul hit a hook shot at the 11:21 mark to make it a two-posession ball game.  Whittington took an inlet pass from Taylor Perry and laid it in to make it just a three-point game, and Jared Klein matched that feat at the 8:34 mark when he stepped into a three-pointer to make it 54-51.
The closest the Broncos would get for the remainder of the contest was four points, when a flagrant foul by Duquesne's Jeremiah Jones bloodied Nate Hutcheson and put him on the line.  Hutcheson made a pair of free throws, and the Broncos scored on the ensuing possession when Pokley drew a foul and made both of his charity shots.  The Dukes countered with a pair of makes of their own, and the Broncos would go cold from the field until Austin Richie drained an NBA-range three-pointer with 13 seconds remaining to cut the lead to 71-66.  The Dukes were unable to tack on, but they kept the Broncos at bay and did not allow them another chacne to score.
The first half was a fairly tight affair, with the Broncos responding to the Dukes' early run by pulling to within two possessions at half.  Duquesne led by eight points with 6:01 remianing in the half, but Whittington cut into the lead with a lay-up off a lob from Austin Richie, and Tava would make a lay-up at the 4:30 mark to cut the deficit to three points.  Hutcheson made it just a two-point game at the 3:06 mark when he buried a three-pointer from the corner, and Perry kept it close with a triple from just beyond the head of the key at the 1:19 mark.  Whittington scored on a lay-up with 14 seconds remaining in the half to make it 36-32.

UMass 85, Ohio 76

AMHERST, Ohio - The Ohio University men's basketball team (7-4) connected on 12 3-pointers, but it was not enough as the Bobcats dropped an 85-76 decision to the University of Massachusetts Wednesday night at the Mullins Center.

Senior guard D.J. Cooper (Chicago, Ill.) was one of three Ohio players to score in double figures. He also led the Bobcats with 23 points and 10 assists in 36 minutes of action to tally his third double-double of the year. Joining Cooper in double figures was fellow senior guard Walter Offutt (Indianapolis, Ohio) and junior guard Nick Kellogg (Westerville, Ohio) as they finished with 18 and 15 points, respectively.
Senior Ivo Baltic (Kansas City, Mo.) also turned in a strong performance as he led the Bobcats on the glass for the second straight game, tallying 10 rebounds. He also dished out nine assists.
As a team, Ohio was outshot 48.1-45.3 percent from the field, but held a 40.0-37.5 percent advantage from 3-point range.
UMass junior guard Jesse Morgan scored a game-high 35 points, connecting on seven 3-pointers to lead the Minutemen. The Bobcats held the Minutemen's Chaz Williams to single digits for the first time in over a year.
The Bobcats started fast as they jumped out to an 18-6 lead at the 14:48 mark of the first half, connecting on four 3-point field goals. Offutt led the scoring effort for the Bobcats as he connected on a pair of 3-pointers.
The Minutemen fought back in a big way as it went on 23-3 run to take a 29-21 lead with 7:31 remaining until the break. Ohio remained close, trimming UMass' lead to three at 40-37 with 2:22 until halftime. UMass responded by outscoring the Bobcats 8-3 to take a 48-40 lead heading into the locker room.
Ohio came out of the locker room firing, as it outscored the Minutemen 13-5 over the first 4:50 of the second half to tie the game at 53 apiece. Cooper hit the `Cats third 3-pointer during the stretch to even the count.
UMass fired right back with a run of its own as it went on a 13-2 push to take a 66-55 advantage with 12:02 remaining. Ohio made one last surge as it trimmed UMass' lead to six thanks to a layup by Kellogg, which made the count 78-72 with 4:03 to go in the game.
In the final four minutes, the Minutemen outscored Ohio 7-4 to secure the win.
Ohio returns to action on Saturday at 2 p.m. to take on Maryland Eastern Shore. Fans can listen to the game for free on "Voice of the Bobcats" Russ Eisenstein and Rob Cornelius will call the action live on the Ohio IMG Sports Network powered by Horizon.

Wright State 67, Miami 59

FAIRBORN, Ohio -- Wright State converted 27 of 33 free throws in the second half, breaking open a close game in the final three minutes, for a 67-59 victory over Miami Wednesday night at the Nutter Center.

Allen Roberts tallied a team-best 16 points, while Jon Harris added 10 points and six rebounds. Wright State also had a pair of double-figure scorers -- Miles Dixon with 21 and Jerran Young with 19.
The teams played a sloppy first half with more combined turnovers (17) than made field goals (16), resulting in a 21-21 deadlock. Miami shot 34.8 percent from the field (8-23), while limiting Wright State to 28.6 percent (8-23).
The Raiders (8-3) tallied the first four points of the second half to take a lead it would never relinquish. Miami (3-6) closed to within 30-29 after Will Sullivan hit a pair of free throws and Josh Sewell made a layup at the 12:42 mark, but Dixon scored the Raiders' next eight points during a 14-5 run that pushed the lead to double figures for the first time, 44-34 with six minutes to play.
After the teams traded baskets, Roberts converted a four-point play to cut the gap to six and Harris answered two free throws with his only three of the game pull the RedHawks to 48-43.
Wright State pushed the lead back to nine, 53-44, before a final Miami surge. Seven straight points closed the gap to two before a bizzarre series of fouls. Rollins was hit with technical and personal fouls during a loose-ball scramble with 1:11 to play, allowing the Raiders to convert three of the four resulting free throws for a 58-53 lead. The Raiders added six of 10 more attempts from the charity stripe over the remaining time to pull away.
The Raiders scored the first four points of the game before the RedHawks answered with five in a row for their first lead. Seven straight points by Wright State made the score 11-5 with 11:55 left in the first half. After back-to-back layups by Drew McGhee and Roberts, WSU used a 7-2 run to open its biggest lead of the game at 18-11.
But Miami stormed back, tallying five straight points to start a 10-1 run that ended with a Harris' three-pointer that gave the RedHawks a 21-19 lead.
The Raiders used a late layup to forge the tie at intermission.
Miami concludes its pre-Holiday slate on Saturday when it hosts Illinois-Chicago at 1:30 at Millett Hall.

Seattle 75, Northern Illinois 48
SEATTLE -- Seattle University built a 20-point first half lead behind 59.3 percent (16-of-27) shooting and went on to defeat Northern Illinois 75-48 on Wednesday night at Key Arena. 

Redshirt junior guard Antone Christian (Nashville, Tenn./Martin Luther King Magnet) scored a season-high 11 points, including 3-of-4 from behind the 3-point line; he was the only Huskie in double figures.
“Seattle found its rhythm right away, after that first timeout they got going and we just couldn’t stop them,” said NIU head coach Mark Montgomery. “It didn’t matter if we played man (defense) or zone, they were in their comfort zone, making shots and we just couldn’t answer. We needed multiple stops on defense. I thought Antone Christian came in and gave us a lift and I would have loved to have played him more minutes, but he just doesn’t have the conditioning yet because he hasn’t practiced much lately.” 
An old-fashioned 3-point play by sophomore wing Abdel Nader (Skokie, Ill./Niles North) gave NIU an early 5-4 lead before Seattle went on a 17-2 run to take a 21-7 lead with 9:31 to play in the first half. 
Nader finished with just five points in 11 minutes after being hobbled by an injury in the early going. 
A triple by Christian with 8:22 to play in the half brought the Huskies back within a dozen, 24-12, but that was as close as the Huskies would get in the first half as a red-hot Seattle team continued to extend its lead. 
The Seattle lead grew to 20, 47-27, as Chad Rasmussen hit a triple as time expired in the first half. The Redhawks shot 59.3 percent in the first half while holding the Huskies to just 26.7 percent (8-of-30). Seattle shot 54.5 percent (6-of-11) from 3-point range in the opening 20 minutes. 
The Huskies made an effort to get back in the contest with a 10-0 run early in the second half. Sophomore forward Kevin Gray (Chicago, Ill./Brooks Academy) started the run with a short jumper, freshman guard Daveon Balls (Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence North) added five during the burst with a pair of free throws and an old-fashioned 3-point play as the Huskies cut the lead to 54-37 with 13:28 to play.
With the Redhawks leading 65-39, NIU used a 9-1 burst to cut into the gap, but Seattle scored the final nine points of the contest to take the victory, 75-48.
“We only had 12 turnovers against a team that pressures full-court, that’s a good sign,” said Montgomery. “I thought out guys didn’t give up, we came out fighting and held them to 37 percent shooting in the second half, but we couldn’t catch fire.”
Rasmussen finished with 14 points to lead the Redhawks, Prince Obasi added 13 and a game-high eight rebounds.
The Huskies will play the second leg of their Pacific Northwest trip on Saturday, Dec. 22, when they face defending Pac-12 champion Washington. Game time against the Huskies is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT, and the contest will be shown live on the Pac-12 Network.