Saturday's MAC Men's Basketball Results

Updated 11/18/2012

Saturday's MAC Men's Basketball Results
Eastern Michigan 60, IPFW 47
Western Michigan 68, UMES 51
Yale 63, Buffalo 59

Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments

Eastern Michigan 60, IPFW 47

YPSILANTI, Mich. ( – With EMU and NBA Hall of Fame legend George Gervin in attendance, the Eastern Michigan University men's basketball team earned a 60-47 victory over IPFW at the EMU “Ice Man” Classic here Saturday night, Nov. 17, at the Convocation Center.

Behind a solid defensive effort, EMU (3-1) held IPFW (2-2) to only 5-of-26 (19 percent) shooting from the field and 3-of-14 from beyond the arc in the second half. For the game, the Eagles had seven blocks and forced 18 turnovers which led to 15 points. IPFW also struggled from the free-throw line only connecting on 11-of-21 (52 percent).
The defense also ignited the offense after a sluggish start. Eastern dominated in the paint scoring 30 of its 60 points in the paint and used a timely 13-0 run at the end of the first half and 16-8 second-half stretch to the turn the tide of the game.      
For the second straight home contest, senior Derek Thompson (Detroit, Mich.-Melvindale-SEMO) led the way for EMU with 17 points on 7-of-12 shooting from the field while junior Glenn Bryant (Detroit, Mich.-Oak Hill Academy-Arkansas) added 11 points. Junior Daylen Harrison (Akron, Ohio-St. Vincent St. Mary-Wyoming) led the way grabbing a team-high eight rebounds with junior Da'Shonte Riley (Detroit, Mich.-Detroit Country Day-Syracuse) chipped in defensively with a game-high four blocks.
IPFW was led by Frank Gaines and Luis Jacobo with 17 and 10 points, respectively.
IPFW opened the first half on fire hitting all five shots from the field including going 3-of-3 from long range to take a 16-8 lead. EMU rattled off the next five points closing the gap to 16-13. IPFW extended its lead to 24-19 before Thompson and Harrison hit two buckets each, followed by two Harris free throws and a Harrison three-pointer that ignited an 13-0 run giving EMU its largest lead of the half, 32-24. Thompson led all scorers with 13 points while Gaines paced the Mastodons with eight points.
EMU continued its run to open up the second half with a 7-2 spurt to move ahead by 10, 39-29. IPFW responded with run of its own, outscoring Eastern 10-3 over the next four minutes to pull within three, 42-39, at the 11:52 mark. However, EMU would close out the game outscoring the Mastodons 16-8 down the stretch highlighted by two thunderous dunks by Riley and Jamell Harris (Euclid, Ohio-Euclid) to seal the 60-47 victory.
There is a full slate of hoops action at the Convocation Center on Sunday, Nov. 18, as the EMU women's basketball team leads off with a contest against in-state rival University of Detroit Mercy at 2 p.m. The “Ice Man” Classic concludes with IPFW and Eastern Illinois squaring off at 4:30 p.m. followed by the men's squad against Texas-Pan American at 7 p.m.


Western Michigan 68, UMES 51

TAMPA, Fla. - The Western Michigan men's basketball team stifled the Maryland-Eastern Shore offense in the second half, and the Broncos beat the Hawks 68-51 in the second game of the South Florida Invitational.  With the win, the Broncos improve to 3-1 on the season.  They will face the hosting USF Bulls on Sunday afternoon.

For the second straight game, four different Broncos reached double figures in scoring, with senior Brandon Pokley leading the way with 14 points.  Darius Paul and Shayne Whittington each recorded 13 points, and Nate Hutcheson had his third straight double-digit point game with 10 points on 5 of 10 shooting.  The Broncos shot 52.8 percent from the floor as a team, all while holding the Hawks to just a 35.2 percent shooting night.  WMU was dominant in the paint, out-scoring UMES 44-10 around the basket.
Though the final margin of victory was nearly 20 points, the game started out much closer as the Hawks briefly held a three-point lead over the Broncos in the first half.  Western Michigan opened the game on an 8-2 run that was capped by a lay-up from Paul, but Kyree Jones knocked down a three-pointer at the 11:41 mark to give UMES a 13-12 lead.  
The Hawks stretched the lead to three points at the 8:19 mark, but Hutcheson scored a lay-up on the next possession to cut the lead to one, and Paul hit a 12-foot fadeaway jumper to re-take the lead for the Broncos.  Pokley drained a three-pointer from the right corner at the 3:36 mark to give the Broncos a 23-19 lead, and Austin Richie drained one from well behind the line at 2:53 to make it a five-point game.  Richie threaded a pass to Whittington with just over a minute remaining in the half, and Whittington converted it into a lay-up to give the Broncos a 30-23 lead entering the halftime break.
The lead reached nine points early in the second half, when Paul collected an offensive rebound and deftly dished it to Whittington, who threw down a dunk to make the score 34-25 with 15:38 remaining in regulation.  Richie scored a fast-break lay-up on a long pass from Connar Tava to set the score and 39-31, and the Broncos took their first double-digit lead of the net when Paul collected a rebound and found Hutcheson for a lay-up on the offensive end.  Pokley would drive baseline at the 8:00 mark and lay it to give the Broncos a 50-37 lead, and would knock down a three from the corner at the 6:05 mark to stretch the lead to 14 points.
The game firmly in hand, the Broncos proceeded to empty the bench against the Hawks, with Charles Harris giving the Broncos their largest lead of the night when he drained a three-pointer from the left corner at the 1:59 mark.  A.J. Avery would re-build that 19-point lead with an offensive rebound and lay-up, and the Broncos would close out the half for the victory.

Yale 63, Buffalo 59
EVANSVILLE, IN - The Coaches vs. Cancer Classic tournament, hosted by the University of Evansville, came to a close for Buffalo (1-4) Saturday evening, with the Bulls losing 63-59 to Yale (1-3). In a foul-riddled affair, the two teams shot a combined 34 percent from the floor.

The Bulldogs led for much of the first half, eventually taking a lead at the the 11:02 mark in the first half that it would hold onto until the Bulls tied the game back up with 2:37 to play in regulation. After a free throw from Will Regan broke an 11-all tie, Yale went on a 9-2 spurt.
After the Bulls got back within three, 25-22 with 5:47 to go, Yale responded with a 12-0 run in just over a minute of play to take its biggest lead of the game. Amani Cotton's three pointer at the 5:15 mark would be the team's final field goal of the half, though, allowing the Bulls to use an 11-2 run to trim the deficit to 36-33 at the half.
Javon McCrea had arguably his worst game of his career from the field, but still would lead the team in scoring for the game with 17 points. That was in large part to one of the best games by a UB player in program history. The junior forward went 10-10 from the line in the first half to offset the 1-7 shooting performance, and he finished the game 13-14 at the line and 2-11 on field goal attempts. That came in large part due to Yale's interior defense, mimicking the strategy that Western Illinois used the night before.
He was joined in double figures by Jarod Oldham, who had a career game as he made it a habit to slash and attack the Yale defense. The UB point guard set career highs in points and rebounds and recorded the team's first double-double of the season with 16 points and 10 rebounds. He would also throw in three steals.
The second half was a sloppy performance from both teams. Yale would shoot 5-19 from the field, but the Bulls would not do much better with a 9-28 performance. The difference in the second half would ultimately be fouls. The teams combined for 46 fouls in the game and 57 free throws, but it was Yale's advantage at the line in the final 20 minutes that was the X-factor. It would take 21 free throws in the second half, compared to just eight for Buffalo.
The Bulldogs went ice cold from the field almost immediately in the second half, with Austin Morgan hitting a three pointer at the 17:43 mark that would be the team's last field goal for almost 10 minutes of game time. Yale would go 0-7 over the stretch, but it was free throws that would preserve its lead.
Despite the ice cold offense, Buffalo would only outscore the Bulldogs 11-10 during the critical stretch, as Yale hit all eight free throw attempts and the Bulls were called for six fouls in that span. That would put Yale in the double bonus for free throw attempts with 9:21 left in the game. A steal and lay-up from Justin Sears broke the streak and gave Yale a 51-44 lead, but Buffalo would make one last burst to make it a game.
With the score 53-46, Auraum Nuiriankh hit a three and McCrea followed with two free throws to bring it within two at the final media timeout with Oldham at the line to try and tie it. He would make only the second, but after rare 0-2 performance at the line on the other end by Yale, Buffalo had a shot to take the lead with 3:06 to play.
Javon McCrea was again fouled and had a chance to give the team its first lead since the 18:41 mark of the first half, but he missed his lone free throw of the game and could only tie it at 55-55 with 2:37 to play. On its next possession, Yale hit a dagger three pointer to snatch the lead back for good. The Bulldogs hit three free throws and a break-away lay up to hold off any final comeback chances for Buffalo.
The team's week-long road trip comes to an end. Next up is another road game, on Tuesday against Big Four rival Canisius. Tip off is scheduled for 8 pm.