Sunday's MAC Men's Basketball Results

Updated 12/22/2013

Sunday's MAC Men's Basketball Results
Ohio 70, Richmond 69 (OT)
Bowling Green 64, Detroit 62
Northern Illinois 71, UC Riverside 64
Akron 83, Oregon State 71

Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments

Ohio 70, Richmond 69 (OT)

RICHMOND, Va. - A last second 3-pointer from senior guard Nick Kellogg (Westerville, Ohio) sent the Ohio University men's basketball team (8-3) home with a 70-69, overtime victory over Richmond (8-4) Sunday afternoon at the Robins Center.

Ohio led 60-57 with a minute to play, but Richmond rallied to tie the game at 61 and send it into overtime. In the overtime session, Ohio led by four (65-61) with 3:33 to play. The Spiders rallied to take a two-point lead (69-67) with 32 seconds to go, but Kellogg
Kellogg finished the game with 14 points and four rebounds, while junior guard Maurice Ndour (Mbour, Senegal) added a team-high 19 points on 8-of-10 shooting and chipped in seven rebounds in 35 minutes on the floor.
The Bobcats are now 3-0 in games decided by five points or less this season. The Spiders had won 42 of their previous 48 non-conference home games.
Ohio shot 46.4 percent (26-56) from the floor in the game and made 4-of-5 attempts in overtime. After Richmond shot 60.9 percent (14-23) in the first half, Ohio limited the Spiders to just 39.3 percent (11-28) for the remainder of the contest.
Behind seven-straight points from Ndour to open the scoring for Ohio, the Bobcats jumped out to an early 10-6 lead. Richmond responded with a 7-0 run to build a 13-10 advantage and went ahead by 10 (24-14) after completing an 18-4 run midway through the opening stanza.
Back-to-back 3-pointers from Kellogg and Willis cut the Richmond edge to four (24-20) and Ohio moved as close as three (30-27) after a 3-pointer from Hall with 4:40 to go in the half. Richmond posted five-straight to re-up its lead to eight (35-27), but the `Cats closed the period on an 11-5 run to trail by just four (42-38) at halftime.
Ohio shot 56.5 percent (13-23) in the half - its best shooting performance in a half since a 60 percent second-half effort against Heidelberg on Nov. 23. The `Cats also made 5-of-6 (.833) 3-point attempts in the period.
Richmond posted the first four points of the second half to equal its largest lead of the game (48-38), before the `Cats fought back with a 12-0 run to take their first lead since the 15:04 mark of the first half. Smith had six points around the basket during the surge.
After Richmond re-took the lead at 54-52, a bucket from Johnson and pretty up-and-under from Ndour moved Ohio back in front by two (56-54) with 3:25 to go in the second half.
Richmond posted the next three points to take a one-point lead (57-56), but Ohio scored the next two baskets by way of Johnson and Ndour to go up by three (60-57) with a minute to go. Richmond rallied to tie the game at 61 with 20 seconds to go, and a Kellogg jumper at the horn was no good, sending the game to overtime.
Ohio led 65-61 in the overtime session, but Richmond rallied to take a two-point lead (69-67) with 32 seconds to play. But Kellogg drilled the big 3-pointer with nine seconds to go to send Ohio home with the win.
Ohio plays its final game of 2013 next Monday (Dec. 30) against Longwood (5-7) inside the Convocation Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. Pre-game coverage on the Ohio IMG Sports Network begins at 6:30 p.m.

Bowling Green 64, Detroit 62

Bowling Green, Ohio - The Bowling Green State University Falcons used a total team effort on both ends of the floor to hold off a feisty Detroit Titans team for a 64-62 home win on Sunday afternoon in the Stroh Center.

BG improves to 6-5 overall and 4-1 at home in the Stroh Center this season, while Detroit falls to 5-8 on the year with the loss.
With the win, the Falcons increased its current winning streak to a season-high three straight games and also posted its third straight victory over Detroit spanning each of the last three years.
BG had three players in double figures led by redshirt-junior guard Anthony Henderson's team-high 15 points, while his fellow backcourt mate Jehvon Clarke had 14 points and eight assists in the win. Forward Richaun Holmes added  13 points and five rebound, as all three Falcon players were 5-of-10 (50 percent) from the field overall on the day. Senior center Cameron Black nearly had his fourth double-double of the season, as he was a perfect 4-of-4 from the floor for eight points to go along with eight rebounds in 32 minutes of play.
Forward Juwan Howard, Jr., led the Titans with 17 points and six rebounds, while guard Anton Wilson had the hot-hand from downtown, totaling 16 points on five three-pointers in the loss.
Both teams struggled to find points at the start of the contest, as Bowling Green coughed up the ball three times over its first five possessions and found themselves down 5-0 with 17:40 to go in the opening half of play.
After back-to-back free throws from Henderson put BGSU on the scoreboard at the 17:03 mark, Detroit answered with another  5-0 run, capped off by a three-pointer from guard Matthew Grant, to take a 10-2 lead and force an early Falcons' timeout.
The Falcons responded out of the timeout with a driving layup from Clarke and a dunk from Holmes to jump-start a 9-6 run by the home team to cut the Titans' lead to three at 14-11 on a layup from the right block from Cameron Black.
Following another 10-4 spurt by the visitors, which pushed the Detroit lead to 13 at 26-13, the Falcons picked up a huge left-handed dunk along the baseline from freshman guard JD Tisdale and another dunk from the right block from Black on the next possession to start a 13-2 run over the next three minutes to cut the Titans lead to one at 27-26 on a three-pointer from the corner from Henderson with 5:35 to go in the first half.
The final five minutes of the first half would see both teams got to the free throw line multiple times, as the Titans held on to a slight 36-35 lead at the break.
The start of the second half saw the contest turn into a game of runs, as the Falcons followed an early Detroit layup with a 12-2 run over the first seven minutes of the second half to take a 47-40 lead on back-to-back free throws from Spencer Parker with 13:20 to go on the game clock.
However, it was then the Titans turn to take an offensive surge, as the visitors in red countered with a 14-3 run of its own over the next four minutes of play to retake the lead at 54-50 on a layup by Evan Bruinsma with 9:16 to play in regulation.
Bowling Green ended the Titans run with back-to-back fast break layups from Tisdale and Clarke to tie the contest up at 54-54, only to see Detroit's Howard, Jr., hit two straight free throws minutes later to push the Titans back out in front by two at 56-54 with just over six minutes remaining in the contest.
The Falcons defense picked up its intensity, as BGSU held Detroit to just one made basket and two free throws over the next five minutes of play, while on the offensive end the home team picked up a fast break two-handed slam from Holmes, a three-pointer from the right wing from Clarke and an offensive rebound and put back basket from Henderson to give the home team a 63-60 lead at the 1:36 mark of the second half.
After a tough driving layup by Howard, Jr. put the Titans down just one at 63-62 with 1:22 on the game clock, the Falcons were unsuccessful in adding to its lead on the ensuing possession yet were able to run off almost a minute of time off the game clock before the Titans took possession.
Out of a timeout, the Titans looked to retake the lead with less than 30 seconds to play; however, Detroit was called for a traveling violation which gave the ball back to the Falcons with just 23 seconds left to play.
BGSU's Holmes was fouled on the inbounds pass and strolled to the free throw line where hit 1-of-2 from the charity stripe to give the home team a 64-62 lead.
Detroit's Grant hoisted a contested three-pointer from just right of the top of the key with 11 seconds on the game clock, which clanged off the right side of the rim where Howard, Jr., chased down the loose ball and fired a fade away with three BGSU defenders on him from the baseline which also missed and fell into the hands of Holmes to seal the 64-62 home win for the Falcons.
BGSU outscored the Titans 36-20 in points in the paint and after surrendering 17 points to Detroit off 10 turnovers in the first half, the Falcons allowed on three points off six turnovers in the final 20 minutes of play.
Detroit, who was 6-of-12 (50 percent) from the three-point line in the first half, was only 2-of-10 (20 percent) from long range in the second half and finished the game 8-of-22 (36.4 percent) from downtown.
BG was 22-of-46 (47.8 percent) from the floor overall for the game, while the Titans, who shot only 9-of-22 (33.3 percent) in the second half of play, was 20-of-53 (37.7 percent) for the contest.
BG improves to 6-1 on the year when holding its opponents to less than 70 points for the game and is 6-0 overall on the season when shooting a better from the floor overall than its opponent.
Bowling Green (6-5) will wrap up the 2013 calendar year on the road next weekend, as the Falcons will head south down I-75 to face off with the Raiders of Wright State at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 29.

Northern Illinois 71, UC Riverside 64

RIVERSIDE, Calif. -- Freshman guard Dontel Highsmith (Dowagiac, Mich./Dowagiac) scored a career-high 27 points as the Northern Illinois University men’s basketball team defeated UC Riverside, 71-64, on Sunday afternoon at the SRC Arena.

Highsmith went 9-of-11 from the field, including 3-of-5 from behind the three-point arc, and 6-of-6 from the line. Sophomore guard Travon Baker (Detroit, Mich./Detroit Consortium) added 13 points and three assists while junior guard Aaron Armstead (Chicago, Ill./Hales Franciscan/San Jose City College) chipped in 11 off the bench for the Huskies, who improve to 5-5 on the season, matching their win total from each of the past two seasons.

NIU shot a season-best 77.1 percent (27-of-35) from the free-throw line, including 18-of-22 in the second half as the Huskies led nearly wire-to-wire, taking the lead with 18:21 to play in the first half and never looking back.

“It was a huge road win to keep some momentum going,” said NIU head coach Mark Montgomery. “We played an unbelievable first half, going up 10, which was something we struggled with at Loyola (on Wednesday), so we got out of the gate and built a cushion for the second half. Great performance by Dontel Highsmith, scoring a career-high 27, Aaron Armstead is becoming an instant offense guy off the bench and Travon Baker added 11 points.

“I thought that our guys kept their composure on some tough calls that didn’t go our way, but we didn’t crack and we were able to come up with another road win.”

An early triple by Highsmith ignited a 10-0 run by the Huskies, giving NIU an early 13-5 advantage. Baker collected a steal and layup and Aaron Armstead knocked down a 17-foot jumper to cap the burst, forcing a UC Riverside timeout.

Out of the timeout, the Highlanders answered with five-straight, trimming the NIU advantage to three, 13-10. NIU answered with the next six, four from Highsmith, taking a 20-11 lead just before the midway point of the opening half.

Leading by seven, freshman guard Aaric Armstead (Chicago, Ill./La Jolla Prep) connected on a triple from the wing and Aaron Armstead added a basket off the glass to push the NIU lead to a dozen, 27-15, its largest of the first half, with five minutes left in the first half.

UC Riverside (4-7) cut the Huskie lead back to seven, 27-20, but a pair of free throws from Highsmith and a free throw from redshirt junior forward Jordan Threloff (DeKalb, Ill./DeKalb/Illinois State) helped push the NIU advantage to 10, 33-23, at the break.

Highsmith led all scorers with 11 points in the opening 20 minutes; Chris Patton came off the bench to score eight to pace UC Riverside. The Huskies shot 45.5 percent (10-of-22) from the field while holding the Highlanders to 32 percent (8-of-25) shooting before the intermission.

Highsmith scored seven of the first nine out of the break for NIU as the Huskies extended their lead to 42-30 in the opening three minutes of the second half.

An 8-0 run by the Highlanders cut the Huskie lead back to just four, 42-38, with just under 14 minutes to play. Nick Gruninger and Chris Harriel each had four points during the burst for UC Riverside, but that was as close as the Highlanders would get as NIU answered with the next five to push the advantage to nine, 47-38, with 10:19 to play.

The Huskies made their final 17 free throws in the contest, missing their last of the game with 8:55 to play, to help hold off any comeback attempt from the Highlanders.

Gruninger and Harriel each finished with 18 points to lead UC Riverside, who defeated UIC on Friday night (Dec. 20), 57-56.

With the win, and its comeback victory last Wednesday (Dec. 18) at Loyola-Chicago, the Huskies have won back-to-back road games for the first time since Jan. 6 and 9, 2010, when NIU defeated Chicago State (99-93) and Ball State (62-48) on the road.

The Huskies committed just nine turnovers in the contest, one off their season-low, and shot 45.2 percent (19-of-42) for the game. NIU recorded seven blocks, with Threloff and junior center Pete Rakocevic (Chicago, Ill./Wilbraham & Monson/Sacramento State) each registered three blocks.

NIU will return to action on Tuesday, Dec. 31, when the Huskies travel to Ames, Iowa, to face the 17th-ranked Iowa State Cyclones. Game time is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Akron 83, Oregon State 71

HONOLULU – Behind a career-high 24 points by Demetrius "Tree" Treadwell and 17 points by Nyles Evans, the Akron Zips downed Oregon State in the quarterfinals of the 2013 Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic on Sunday.

The performance was the second-straight 20-point game for Treadwell, who has 22 vs. Detroit on Dec. 18. He finished with 10 rebounds for his fourth double-double of the year.
The Zips (6-2) advance to face No. 17/13 Iowa State on Monday at 4:30 p.m. ET on ESPNU in the semifinals.
Evans' 17 points came on 5-of-7 shooting from 3-point range and was his second-straight 17-point performance in as many games. Diggs was the only other Zip in double figures with 11 points.
Akron held Oregon State (6-3) to just 71 points, 13.4 points below their season average. Roberto Nelson led the Beavers with 20 points.
For the game, Akron shot 44.8 percent from the floor (26-of-58) and 38.5 percent from long range (10-of-26). Akron won the battle on the boards (33-29) and committed just seven turnovers.
The Zips opened the second half similar to the first on defense, forcing six turnovers to open the half. A put-back by Pat Forsythe forced the Beavers to call timeout with the Zips leading 48-39 (12:51).
Akron would maintain the lead, heading into the final media timeout with a 65-59 advantage (3:44). A Jake Kretzer 3-pointer, his first bucket of the game, gave Akron a 68-61 lead with 3:17 remaining.
It would come down to free throws as Diggs, Evans and Treadwell would go a combined 11-of-11 down the stretch for the 83-71 win.
The Akron defense set the tone early, blocking two shots and forcing two Beaver turnovers en route to an early 10-0 lead, forcing OSU to call timeout with 17:00 left in the first half.
By the under-12 media timeout, the Zips would still lead by 10 (20-10). Akron's run would be helped by Evans' nine points on 3-of-3 shooting from long range as the Zips shot 63.6 percent as a team (7-of-11) and a perfect 4-of-4 from behind the arc.
Oregon State slowly chipped away at the Akron lead, forcing the Zips to call their first timeout with 2:57 left in the half and UA leading 29-25. The Akron lead would be just one by halftime (35-34).
Treadwell led all scorers in the half with 16 points and seven boards as the Zips shot 40.7 percent in the half (11-of-27). Both teams had four turnovers as Akron held a 17-15 advantage on the boards.