Saturday's MAC Men's Basketball Results

Updated 12/21/2013
Saturday's MAC Men's Basketball Results
Toledo 71, Cleveland State 67
Eastern Michigan 81, Oakland 79 (OT)
Western Michigan 92, Prairie View A&M 53
Kent State 58, Charleston 54
Miami 79, Tennessee State 64
Southern Illinois 66, Ball State 58
Manhattan 84, Buffalo 81 (OT)
Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments
Toledo 71, Cleveland State 67
TOLEDO, OH – On a day when Toledo’s three leading scorers combined for just 22 points, junior J.D. Weatherspoon stepped forward with a career-high 18 points. Weatherspoon’s performance helped Toledo extend its season-opening win streak to 11 games with a 71-67 triumph over Cleveland State (6-6) in Savage Arena.
The victory improved the Rockets’ record to 11-0, marking the program’s best start in 47 years. It was also the best opening to a season by a Mid-American Conference program since Ball State won its first 11 contests in the 1988-89 season.
Weatherspoon also collected eight rebounds, three blocked shots and two steals in 28 minutes of action en route to his fourth straight game scoring in double figures. Joining Weatherspoon in double digits was sophomore center Nathan Boothe (14 pts., 8 reb.) and senior guard Rian Pearson (11 pts., 5 reb.).
Toledo dominated the glass for a second-straight outing, grabbing a season-high 21 offensive caroms en route to a 45-34 advantage on boards and a 24-5 cushion in second-chance points. The Rockets’ rebounding prowess combined with an 81.5 free-throw percentage (22-of-27) offset a season-low 36.5 shooting mark that saw UT shoot under 40 percent in a half for the first time this year.
Junior guard Julius Brown dished out 10 assists to offset a 1-of-10 shooting performance from the field. The Rockets committed just 10 turnovers as a team and forced the Vikings into 15 miscues.
Sophomore guard Trey Lewis came off the bench to pace the Vikings with a game-high 21 points and seven rebounds.
UT led for the majority of the contest and held a 61-52 advantage with 9:11 remaining following a pair of free throws from junior guard Justin Drummond (9 pts., 5 reb.). CSU went on an 11-2 run, though, and evened the contest at 63-63 on junior guard Charlie Lee’s trey at the 4:30 mark.
Weatherspoon drained two free throws on UT’s next possession to put the Rockets back in front, 65-63, at the 4:12 mark. Toledo was able to get stops on CSU’s next two trips down the court but wasn’t able to extend its lead.  Lewis eventually evened the contest with a running jumper with 1:36 to play but Pearson quickly answered with a turnaround from the baseline to put UT up to stay, 67-65, with 1:15 left.
Drummond stole the ball on the Vikings’ next possession and Brown fed Weatherspoon for a dunk and a 69-65 cushion with 21 ticks on the clock.
Cleveland State had a chance to tie the game when Drummond missed the front end of a one-and-one with eight seconds left. However, Drummond made up for the miscue with a steal and two free throws with one second to play.
Toledo now takes some time off for the Christmas holiday and returns to action on Saturday, Dec. 28 for a 2:00 p.m. home matinee vs. Coppin State.
Eastern Michigan 81, Oakland 79 (OT)
ROCHESTER, Mich. ( – After dropping its only two road contests of the season, the Eastern Michigan University men's basketball team knocked off Oakland University, 81-79, in an overtime non-conference slug fest at the Athletics Center O'rena Saturday, Dec. 21, in Rochester, Mich. It was the first time EMU defeated the Golden Grizzlies on their home court since the 2009-10 season when the Green and White topped Oakland, 81-77, Nov. 14, 2009. It was just the second time that EMU has defeated Oakland since it became an NCAA Division I institution in 1999-2000. It was also the first time EMU squared off with a team in overtime since Feb. 1, 2012 when the Eagles fell, 62-57, at Miami. The Green and White's win at the O'rena broke a winning streak of 10-straight games won by Oakland on their home floor.
EMU (7-3) was led by a career day from Mike Talley (Detroit, Mich.-Melvindale ABT (Duquesne)) who posted career-highs in points (21) and assists (9), without turning the ball over in the victory. Glenn Bryant (Detroit, Mich.-Oak Hill Academy (Arkansas)) added 14 points on 6-of-7 shooting, along with six rebounds, while Darell Combs (Chicago, Ill.-Thornwood (Blinn)) contributed 13 points off the bench. Da'Shonte Riley (Detroit, Mich.-Detroit Country Day (Syracuse)) posted 10 points and a team-high seven rebounds, and swatted three shots in Eastern's first road win of the year. As a team, the Green and White shot 46.3 percent from the floor after knocking down 31-of-67 shots. Despite hitting just a pair of shots in the overtime period, the Eagles knocked down 5-of-6 shots from the free throw line to ice the game down the stretch. The Eagles forced 12 turnovers while coughing up the rock just five times in the game, four of which came in the first five minutes of play.
Travis Bader led Oakland with 33 points, hitting 10-of-15 from beyond the arc. Corey Petros posted a double-double with 13 points and 19 rebounds, including 11 offensive boards. Dante Williams contributed 16 points off the bench, while Khalil Felder added 11. Eastern held Oakland to a 37.9 shooting percentage, but the Golden Grizzlies did convert on 14-of-31 attempts from three-point land.
It was a very slow and sloppy start for both teams offensively, as the first field goal was not scored until the 16:32 mark when Bryant knocked down a jumper to knot things up at two apiece. The Eagles and Oakland traded buckets back and forth to start, but it was a 7-0 run that put the Golden Grizzlies up 9-4 with 12:17 left of the clock. Ward knocked down a jumper to break the Grizzlies' streaking offensive attack, but Oakland responded with five-straight to get on top by eight, 14-6, at the 9:39 mark in the first half.
After each team went back-and-forth scoring the rock, the Eagles put together a five-point run to bring the game within three, 16-13. After trading buckets down the stretch, Talley went on a tear offensively. With the Eagles looking at a 24-20 deficit with 2:15 on the clock, Talley knocked down a pair of three-balls before converting on an old fashioned three-point play with 33 seconds on the clock to give EMU a 29-28 lead heading into the locker room.
Eastern was led by Talley in the opening half, pouring in 13 points after shooting 71.4 percent (5-of-7) from the floor, knocking down a pair triples. Bryant added six points, while Karrington Ward (Lockport, Ill.-Lockport Township (Moraine Valley C.C.) contributed four. The Eagles shot 12-of-27 from the floor, good for a 44.4 shooting percentage. It was the Green and White's poor rebounding that kept this game close. The Eagles were outrebounded, 28-12, in the first half, but held Oakland to just a 24.2 shooting percentage. Williams led the Golden Grizzlies with 11 first half points, while Bader went 3-of-6 from beyond the arc to contribute nine points.
Bader knocked down a pair of three pointers on back-to-back trips down the floor to give OU a five point lead, 34-29, out of the gate in the second half. Bryant slowed Bader's attack for a brief moment by finishing a layup, but Bader hit from downtown again on the Grizzlies' next trip down to put Oakland up six, 37-31.
Following the Bader three-pointer, Eastern went on an 8-0 run to re-take the lead, 39-37, with 16:12 left in the game. After a few trips up and down the floor, EMU was able to get up by as much as five, 55-50, with 9:51 left on the clock, but  the Grizzlies would not go away, scoring the next five-straight, knotting the game for the sixth time at 55-apiece with just under nine minutes left in the game. The remaining time ticked down with multiple ties, until Bader hit another three-pointer with 2:24 left, and put Oakland on top, 68-67. Bryant gave the Eagles the lead again on the next trip after knocking down a pair of free throws. Ward hit the back-end of a pair of free throws to give Eastern a two point, 70-68. On the next trip down Duke Mondy hit a pair of free ones to knot things up at 70, sending the game into overtime.
Things looked dismal after the first possession of overtime when Bader hit his 10th trey of the contest to put Oakland up, 73-70, at the 4:38 mark. After pulling down an offensive rebound on a three-point miss from Ward, Riley drew a foul and knocked down a pair from the charity stripe to bring EMU within one, 73-72. Mondy hit a jumper on the next trip down but Combs answered on the other end with a three-pointer to knot the game up at 75-points apiece. In the ensuing possession, Petros put up a hook shot that found the bottom of the net, but Talley responded with a pair of free ones.
As the final minutes ticked away, Petros hit another basket to put the Grizzlies back up, 79-77, with 1:41 left on the clock, but Combs cashed in another three, giving EMU an 80-79 edge with 30 seconds left in play. Oakland pushed the floor looking for the final shot in the game, but when Felder went up for the jumper, Riley was positioned in the middle of the paint and swatted away the 5-foot-9 guard's attempt. Combs corralled the rebound and was fouled immediately with seven seconds remaining. The Chicago, Ill. sank one-of-two free ones, making it a two-point, 81-79, Eastern lead. In the final possession of the contest, Oakland looked for its hot hand, Bader, but the EMU defense stymied the sharp-shooter into missing a three-pointer as time expired, giving Coach Rob Murphy his first win over a Michigan-based NCAA Division I team that is not a member of the Mid-American Conference.
The Eagles are off for the Christmas holiday before heading to Durham, N.C. for a matchup with the No. 8-ranked Blue Devils from Duke University Saturday, Dec. 28. Game time is scheduled for 2 p.m. at Cameron Indoor Stadium and will be televised on ESPN2 and streamed on the WatchESPN app, but as always, Chad Bush will have the call on 89.1 FM WEMU.
Western Michigan 92, Prairie View A&M 53
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Western Michigan men's basketball caught fire to the tune of 92 points in their first home game in more than three weeks, as the Broncos drilled the Prairie View A&M Panthers 92-53 at University Arena on Saturday. The win snaps a three-game losing streak for the Broncos, who improve to 6-5 on the season.
The Broncos drained shot after shot against the Panthers, going 33-of-58 (.569) from the floor and 8-of-20 (.400) from three-point range to coast to their largest margin of victory this season and the greatest against a Division I opponent since defeating Central Michigan 84-39 on Jan. 29, 2005. Five different players reached double-figures in points as the Broncos out-rebounded the Panthers 40-31 and held them to a 34.0 percent shooting mark from the field.
David Brown led the Broncos in scoring with 15 points on 6-of-11 shooting, adding five rebounds, two assists, and a steal to his night as well. Taylor Perry recorded a game-high nine rebounds, giving him 31 rebounds in three starts at the small forward posesion. Jared Klein was one of three Bronco bench players to breach double figures in scoring with 14 points; joining him were Charles Harris III and AJ Avery, who recorded 12 and 10 points, respectively.
The tone for the game was set from the very outset, with the Broncos using an extended early run to bury the Panthers deep at the beginning of the game. After Demondre Chapman scored the game's opening bucket on a lay-up, Western Michigan ran wild with a 19-0 run that started with a hook shot basket from Connar Tava. Brown scored five straight points on the next two possessions to put the Broncos ahead 10-2 with 16:50 remaining in the half, and logged a three-pointer at the 13:57 mark to extend the lead to 18-2. Prairie View A&M went from the 19:26 mark of the first half all the way until 11:58 before they scored again, and from there the Broncos' lead never dipped below 12 points.
WMU's bench provided some pop in the first half as well, with Hayden Hoerdemann giving the Broncos a 23-8 lead with a free throw make, and klein putting the Broncos up 32-18 with 4:17 to play in the half with a putback off an offensive rebound. Avery knocked down a 15-foot baseline jumper to put WMU ahead 36-21 with 2:42 to play in the half, the start of a personal 5-0 run for the sophomore forward that was capped with an old-fashioned three-point play on the next possession. Austin Richie made a free throw with one second remaining to cut the Broncos' half, putting them ahead 40-24 at the break.
There was no let-up in the second half, either, as Brown scored the first five points of the period to put the Broncos ahead 45-24 with 18:50 remaining in regulation. Brown sparked a fast break dunk for Perry with 14:29 remaining, stealing the ball from Montrael Scott and kicking it ahead to the sophomore for the jam, and on the next possession Mario Matasovic snagged the ball from Scott and threw it down to make it 54-30. Harris pumped the lead up to 30 points with a defensive rebound and subsequent jumper at the 10:45 mark, and on the next possession he stole the ball from Andre Adams and laid it in to put the Broncos ahead 65-33.
Kellen McCormick drained a three from just beyond the head of the key with 7:34 remaining to give WMU a 77-36 lead, and the biggest lead of the day came when Jared Klein drilled a trey from the left corner at the 3:48 mark to go ahead 85-42. Von Washington kep the lead about 40 points with an old-fashioned three-point play with under a minute remaining, driving through Jules Montgomery for the score, and the Broncos iced the win by running out the clock on their final possession.
Kent State 58, Charleston 54
CHARLESTON, S.C.—Kent State shook off a rough first half shooting the ball to defeat College of Charleston, 58-54, Saturday afternoon at TD Arena. The Golden Flashes scored 8 of the game's final 12 points to come way with the victory following a 50-50 tie and improved to 9-2.
Junior guard Kris Brewer broke the tie with a three-point play on a drive to the basket with 1:08 to play. Following two free throws by the Cougars, Brewer scored again on a drive to the basket to go-ahead by three points once more with 18.4 remaining.
The game was not in hand, however, until senior Mark Henniger calmly sank a pair of free throws with four seconds remaining after clearing a rebound on the defensive end of the floor. Henniger has now made 37 consecutive free throws.
"It certainly wasn't pretty," head coach Rob Senderoff said. "Our kids had just enough resolve and fight, and we made just enough plays at the end. Kris Brewer was fantastic in the second half. As I tell these guys, it's not about one guy but all 16. It was a great win for us. Everybody who came in helped us and contributed to the win today."
Brewer scored 14 of his game-high 20 points in the second half, including several baskets when his team needed them most down the stretch.
Coming off the bench for the first time this season, senior Darren Goodson joined Brewer in double-figures with 10 points. Not known for his performance on the defensive end of the floor, Goodson provided a spark by causing a pair of turnovers within a few minutes of entering the game. He also took two charges during the second half.
"That was one of our better defensive efforts of the year," Senderoff said. "I thought we did a great job. One of things we've been emphasizing in practice is trying to create some turnovers and I think we did that tonight. We did a good job of pressuring the basketball and trying to speed them up." 
Sophomore Devin Carter made a three-point field goal in the closing seconds of a sluggish first half to give the Flashes a 17-16 lead going into the locker room. Kent State made just 5 of its 25 shots in the opening 20 minutes and shot an uncharacteristic 50-percent from the free throw line (5-of-10). A terrific defensive effort kept the Flashes ahead as they allowed College of Charleston to shoot just 6-of 24 from the field and forced 11 turnovers.
Miami 79, Tennessee State 64
NASHVILLE, Tenn.—Four RedHawks scored in double figures, led by junior guard Will Sullivan’s 21 points, as Miami University’s men’s basketball team captured a 79-64 win at Tennessee State on Saturday evening. It was the first road win for the RedHawks (3-6) this season.
It was the second 20-point scoring effort for Sullivan in the last five and two off his career high. Freshman forward Joshua Oswald added career highs of 11 points and a game-best 11 rebounds, while senior forward Will Felder amassed 19 points and three blocked shots, and freshman guard Jaryd Eustace chipped in a career-high 13 points.
Miami shot a season-high 56.5 percent from the field against the Tigers, including a 57.1 percent effort in the opening half. After a combined 41 turnovers over its last two games, the RedHawks committed just 10 turnovers against TSU, with a mere two turnovers coming in the first half.
After TSU (1-12) built a 13-8 lead, Miami used a 9-0 run, bolstered by four points from Felder, to take a 17-13 advantage with 12:33 to go in the first half. The Tigers came back with an 8-0 flurry to post a 21-17 edge at the 10:21 mark. A Sullivan triple at 5:02 gave Miami a 26-24 lead, and the RedHawks never looked back. Miami was able to push its advantage to 30-37 off a Eustace triple with 44 seconds left and carried a five-point advantage going into the intermission after a TSU jumper with 12 seconds remaining, 37-32.
The Tigers trimmed the Miami lead to two at the 17:21 mark of the second half, but Miami staged an 8-0 run to push its advantage to double figures by the 15:11 mark, 45-35. A Sullivan layup at 7:12 furthered the RedHawk lead to 15 points, 63-48, and Miami led by 15 three more times, including the final tally.
TSU’s Patrick Miller led all scorers with 26 points.
Miami has eight days off before it returns home to host Southern Illinois at 3:30 p.m. in the second game of a doubleheader at Millett Hall with the Miami women’s team hosting Cleveland State at 1 p.m.
Southern Illinois 66, Ball State 58
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- The Ball State men’s basketball team lost 66-58 Saturday afternoon at Southern Illinois in its final game before a nine-day holiday break.
Freshman point guard Zavier Turner led the Cardinals (2-7) with 15 points, while Chris Bond and Mark Alstork added 10 each. Jalen Pendleton led all scorers with 21 points for the Salukis (3-8), and Desmar Jackson scored 19.
The game was tied 55-55 with five minutes to play, but Southern Illinois held Ball State without a field goal the rest of the way and ended the game on an 11-3 run.
“They really started to extend their zone (at the end), and that was a tough stretch for us,” Ball State head coach James Whitford said. “It was hard for Zavier to get the ball over their length and move the ball from side to side. We settled for too many 3’s and obviously they didn’t go in. You make one or two of those and they probably come out of the zone.”
Ball State missed seven 3-pointers in the decisive moments over the final five minutes and finished the second half 1 for 14 from beyond the arc. That came on the heels of a first half that featured the Cardinals’ best shooting of the season against both man and zone defense.
The Cardinals connected on 10 of their first 11 attempts from the floor and went on to shoot better than 68 percent for the first half, including 5 of 8 from 3-point range. Still, they trailed 38-37 at the break, in large part because of 12 turnovers. They finished with 21 turnovers for the game.
“The two things that really hurt us were the turnovers and our lack of execution against the zone down the stretch,” Whitford said.
Southern Illinois was able to slice into the lane in the first half for 28 paint points, but Ball State adjusted in the second half to stay in the game despite losing its shooting touch. Down the stretch, though, Pendleton was able to take the game over offensively for Southern Illinois. He scored 15 of his team’s final 20 points, including 12 straight at one point.
Ball State freshmen again combined for more than half of Ball State’s points (31 of 58). In addition to Turner’s 15 and Alstork’s 10, Franko House added six points to go along with seven rebounds. Senior center Majok Majok finished with eight points and a game-high eight boards.
Ball State is now off until Dec. 30 when the Cardinals will complete their three-game road stretch at James Madison. They will then return home for the first time in a month Jan. 3 against Oakland City before Mid-American Conference play begins.
“It’s hard to recognize this in a loss, but I liked our effort,” Whitford said.” We’re learning to play harder. We’re learning to practice better. In my opinion, from Sept. 29 to Dec. 21 we’ve actually come a long way. The quest for our team now is to get our minds fresh and come back as the hungriest team in the world, consumed by progress and consumed by getting better.”
Manhattan 84, Buffalo 81 (OT)
BROOKLYN, NY – In a game that featured 12 ties and 17 lead changes, the University at Buffalo was unable to hold on to a late seven-point lead and fell to Manhattan, 84-81 in overtime, Saturday afternoon at the Barclays Center.  The loss evens UB's record at 4-4 on the season.
The Bulls held a late second half lead as they were up 75-68 with just 45 seconds left.  However, a Manhattan three pointer, followed by a three point play put the Jaspers within striking distance.  UB regained a three-point lead at 77-74, but with five second left, Shane Richards was fouled on a three-point attempt and hit all three shots to tie the game up.  Freshman Shannon Evans had one last look at the basket, but was unable to connect.
Manhattan scored the first four points of the overtime period, but with UB down, 81-78, senior Joshua Freelove drained a triple to even the score at 81-81.  Manhattan regained the lead with just 18 seconds left and held on for the 84-81 victory.  Evans had one last look at three, but his shot was just off the mark.
Manhattan, who entered today's game following a double-digit road victory against South Carolina of the SEC earlier this week, had all they can handle with the pesky UB squad, who outrebounded the Jaspers, but were hurt by 22 turnovers.  Manhattan grabbed a quick 7-3 lead to start the afternoon, but the Bulls led for most of the opening 20 minutes.  With the Bulls down 9-8 early, a brief altercation caused two Manhattan players to be ejected and Evans was able to knock down all four free throws.
UB led by as many as nine points in the first half following a three pointer from Evans, which gave UB a 33-24 lead with 5:50 left.  Manhattan went on a 13-4 run to tie the game up, but a pair of free throws gave the Bulls a 41-39 lead at the break.
Manhattan grabbed its largest lead of the game at six with 7:16 left in the second half, but Freelove went on a 7-0 run by himself, capped off on an ally-oop dunk from Evans, which gave the Bulls a 65-64 lead with 4:56 left in regulation.  The Bulls would remain in front until the late free throws tied the game in the final five seconds.
"The college game is great because of games like this," said head coach Bobby Hurley.  "We had two teams that played extremely hard, but give them credit they made more plays than we did at critical moments in the game today."
Evans finished with a team-high 20 points, the first UB freshman to score 20 points in a game since Javon McCrea in 2009-10.  Evans did most of his damage from the free throw line where he was 13-for-15.  Evans also added five assists and two steals.
McCrea recorded his fourth double-double of the season with 18 points and 11 rebounds, adding three blocks and three steals.  Freelove added a career-high 17 points, while also finishing with five blocked shots.
Junior Xavier Ford also finished in double figures with 10 points, including 8-for-10 from the free throw line.  Ford added four rebounds and a block.  Junior Will Regan finished with seven points while senior Jarod Oldham five points, two rebounds and four assists.
As a team, UB finished with 12 blocked shots, its most in a game since also recording 12 against Kent State last season.  The Bulls also made a season-high 30 free throws, going 30-37 from the charity stripe.
It will be a quick turnaround for the Bulls though as they return to action on Monday afternoon.  The Bulls host Binghamton at Alumni Arena at 12:00 pm.  Tickets for this game are just $10 and include a concession voucher good for a hot dog or soft pretzel, a bag of chips and small fountain drink.