Ball State (10-2, 7-1 MAC) vs. Arkansas State (7-5, 5-2 Sun Belt)
Sunday, January 5, 2013 • 9:00 pm ET • Mobile, Ala. • Ladd -Peebles Stadium (40,646)
ESPN • Announcers: Carter Blackburn (play-by-play), Danny Kanell (analyst), Allison Williams (sideline reporter)
• Ball State has won 16 of their past 18 regular season contests and 12-1 in its last 13 MAC contests.
• Ball State has posted 10 victories in 2013, which marks only the third time in the school’s 89-year football history the Cardinals have won at least 10 games in a season (10-1 in 1978 and 12-2 in 2008).
• Ball State’s seven MAC wins marks only the fifth time since joining the league in 1975 they have tallied at least seven wins in the MAC.
• Ball State has reached bowl eligibility for a third straight season.
• This marks the second time the Cardinals have played in back-to-back bowl games. Ball State played in the 2007 International Bowl and the 2008 GMAC Bowl plus played in the 2012 Beef ‘O’ Brady’s St. Petersburg Bowl and now the GoDaddy Bowl.
• The Cardinals have scored 481 points this season, which ranks as the second highest single-season total in school history. The school standard for points in a year is 489 in 2008.
• Ball State reached the 40-point mark for the seventh time this season when it won its regular season finale 55-14 over Miami, setting the school record for the most games of 40 or more points in school history. Ball State scored 50 or more points three times in 2013, a school record.
• Ball State ranks No. 1 in the MAC and ninth in the country in passing offense (333.3) plus is No. 2 in the MAC and 13th in the nation in scoring offense (40.1).
• Ball State leads the country with 18 fumble recoveries and lead the MAC and are eighth in the nation for fewest penalties per game (3.83) and are No. 7 in the NCAA in fewest penalty yards per game (31.58).
Wenning Ways: Ball State senior quarterback Keith Wenning holds the Ball State career records for touchdown passes (91), passing yards (11,187), pass completions (1,012) and pass attempts (1,598). Wenning also ranks in MAC career rankings including: touchdown passes (4th), passing yards (6th), pass completions (4th) and pass attempts (4th). Wenning is the only FBS quarterback in the country with at least 299 passing yards in 10 games this year. He ranks fifth in the nation with 3,933 passing yards, sixth with 327.8 passing yards per game, 27th in the country with 13.29 passing yards per completion and 10th with 331.5 total offense yards per game.
Touchdown Machine: Jahwan Edwards, who ranks 20th in the nation in rushing touchdowns, set the Ball State record for total touchdowns in a career with 38 scores. Edwards has scored all 38 of his TDs on the ground and also holds the school record for rushing touchdowns in a career. Edwards has had three 100-yard rushing games this season and 11 in his career. His 11 100-yard rushing games in a career is tied for fourth on Ball State’s all-time list.
Willie Snead IV: Willie Snead, who ranks fourth in the nation with 14 receiving touchdowns, broke the school record for TD catches in a season with his two vs. Central Michigan. He ranks second on Ball State’s career list for receiving TDs with 25, while the all-time leader is Darius Hill (31, 2005-08). Snead has 10 touchdown receptions in the past seven games. He leads the nation with nine games this season with 100 or more yards receiving. Snead also ranks fourth in the nation in receiving yards per game (119.1) and eighth in receptions per game (8.1).
Leading the D: Ben Ingle leads the team with 105 tackles, while Brian Jones has 90 and Zack Ryan is third with 85. Jones leads the club with four fumble recoveries and is one shy of tying the single-season school record. Jonathan Newsome leads the Cardinals with 11.5 tackles for loss and eight sacks. Jeffery Garrett has a team high five interceptions.
Arkansas State Notes:
• Arkansas State finished the regular season with a 7-5 overall record, 5-2 in the Sun Belt and the Red Wolves won their third consecutive Sun Belt Conference championship and trip to the GoDaddy Bowl.
• John Thompson To Lead A-State As Interim Head Coach: Arkansas State defensive coordinator John Thompson was named Interim Head Coach on Dec. 11 following Bryan Harsin’s acceptance of the Boise State Head coaching position.