Friday's MAC Men's Basketball Results

Updated 11/8/2013
Friday's MAC Men's Basketball Results
Akron 72, Coastal Carolina 63
Western Michigan 70, New Mexico State 64
Eastern Michigan 77, Albion 45
Central Michigan 101, Manchester College 49
Kent State 84, Ohio Northern 48
Nebraska-Omaha 68, Northern Illinois 66
No. 21 Notre Dame 74, Miami 62
Texas A&M 82, Buffalo 58

Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments

Akron 72, Coastal Carolina 63

AKRON, Ohio – Three of Akron's starters scored in double figures and Jake Kretzer chipped in 14 points off the bench to lead Akron to a 72-63 victory over Coastal Carolina in its regular season opener Friday night at James A. Rhodes Arena.

Quincy Diggs matched Kretzer's 14 points for UA (1-0), while Demetrius "Tree" Treadwell added 13 points to go with a team-high eight rebounds. Nick Harney ended the game with 11 points.
Coastal Carolina (0-1) was paced by Elijah Wilson who led all scorers with 15 points.
The Zips shot 42.4 percent from the field on the night, connecting on 25-of-59 attempts. Akron turned its defense into offense, forcing the Chanticleers into 20 turnovers that the Zips converted into 21 points on the other end of the floor. UA's defense also tallied 13 steals and five blocked shots.
Akron wasted no time sprinting ahead of CCU after the opening tip, building a 26-9 advantage by the 8:38 mark after a 3-point basket from Diggs.
The Zips easily maintained a double-digit lead throughout the first half, using a balanced scoring attack to take a 41-30 lead into the locker room. Akron's defense held the Chanticleers to an 11-of-30 effort from the field for a 36.7 shooting percentage in the first half.
UA emerged after the break and increased its lead to 58-35 after a Treadwell free throw. The Zips forced 11 turnovers within the first seven minutes of the second half and went on a 17-3 run to keep the Chanticleers quiet for the better part of the period.
It wasn't until CCU's Wilson netted a 3-pointer with 8:54 left to play that the Chanticleers would answer with a 14-4 run of their own. Coastal Carolina closed the gap to eight points with Akron leading 66-58 and 2:15 on the clock.
Akron held onto its lead in the waning minutes, thanks to a 6-for-8 performance from the charity stripe as a team over the last 1:30 which was enough to seal the victory.
The Zips will travel to Moraga, Calif., to take on St. Mary's on Tuesday, Nov. 12, for a 3 a.m. ET contest as part of the ESPN Tip-Off Marathon to be featured live on ESPN2.

Western Michigan 70, New Mexico State 64

The Western Michigan men's basketball team won their first season opener in eight years with a nail-biting victory over New Mexico State on Friday, as the Broncos defeated the Aggies 70-64 in the first game of the Outrigger Hotels and Resorts Rainbow Classic hosted by Hawaii. With the win, the Broncos improve to 1-0 on the season; they will return to action on sunday, Nov. 11 with a game against the homestanding Hawaii Rainbow Warriors, slated to tip off at 12:30 a.m. ET.
The win marked the first time the Broncos have won their season opener since the 2005-06 season, when they defeated Northwood 82-62 at University Arena on Nov. 19, 2005. It has been even longer since the Broncos won a season opener played away from the friendly confines; WMU defeated Michigan at Crisler Arena by a score of 68-63 on Nov. 15, 1997, the last time the Broncos won a season opener on the road.
Senior David Brown notched 25 points in the victory, going 8-of-16 from the field and adding three three-pointers made. Brown, who was making his first start since Dec. 17, 2011, went 6-of-7 from the free throw line, including a pair of makes with 1.9 seconds remaining to ice the win for the Broncos. Freshman Kellen McCormick made his first career start in his first career game and finished with 14 points, going 5-of-12 from the field, and Austin Richie was a perfect 3-of-3 from three-point range while adding 10 points.
The play that ended up dashing the hopes of the Aggies came late in the second half, after New Mexico State nearly made up an eight-point deficit in the span of just two minutes. The Aggies' Tshilidzi Nephawe hit a jumper to cut the Broncos' lead to just 62-59 with 3:01 remaining, and a dunk from Daniel Mullings 30 seconds later made it just a one-point contest. With 2:20 remaining in regulation, McCormick came off a screen from the right wing and drained a long three-pointer, building the Broncos' lead back to two possessions by making it 65-61.
Taylor Perry kept it a two-possession game at the 1:10 mark with a key shot block of Kevin Aronis, swatting the Aggies' best three-point shooter to keep them off the board, and Connar Tava made up for a pair of made free throws by the Aggies when he sunk two of his own to make it 67-63. Brown tacked on two more points when New Mexico State was assessed a technical foul for calling a timeout when they had none remaining, making it 69-64, and Richie made one-of-two free throws after being fouled by DK Eldridge to set the final score at 70-64.
The first half saw the Broncos take the lead early on, with Brown scoring the first eight points of the game for the Broncos to spark a one-man 8-4 run. The last time the Broncos trailed in the game was at the 3:21 mark of the first half when Eldridge hit a jumper to put the Aggies ahead 26-23. McCormick shot back against New Mexico Stat with a three-pointer to tie the game, and Brown put the Broncos back ahead with a free throw with 2:11 remaining to make it 27-26. McCormick drained another three on the next possession to make it 30-26, and Brown capped the scoring in the half with a runner at the 0:50 mark to make it 32-28.
Eastern Michigan 77, Albion 45

YPSILANTI, Mich. (— Eastern Michigan University's men's basketball team secured a victory in its home opener against Albion College, Friday, Nov. 8.  The 77-45 home opener gives the Eagles a 1-0 record.
Eastern had four Eagles in double digit scoring, led by Karrington Ward (Lockport, Ill.-Lockport Township (Moraine Valley)) with 17 points in the afternoon contest.  Ray Lee (Detroit, Mich.-Romulus) and Glenn Bryant (Detroit, Mich.-Oak Hill Academy (Arkansas)) had 13 and 12 points, respectively, while Mike Talley (Detroit, Mich.-Melvindale ABT) contributed 10.  Talley, Darell Combs (Chicago, Ill.-Thornwood (Blinn College)) and Da'Shonte Riley (Detroit, Mich.-Country Day) each dished out four assists in the win. Riley's four dimes were a career-high.
Defensively, Riley tied his career-high in blocks, rejecting seven of the Britons' shots and led the team in steals with three.  He also tied for a team-high in rebounds with Talley, pulling down five.  The entire EMU squad put in a solid effort under the glass, as they out-rebounded Albion 41 to 33. 
Albion was led by Jordan Herron, who scored 12 points and grabbed 10 rebounds for the Britons.  Overall, the Britons were held to a mere 25 percentage on field goals, while the Eagles retained a success rate of 50.8 percent.  Additionally, the Green and White dropped in seven-of-15 three-point attempts, good for a 46.7 percentage.  
Ward got the Green and White on the board with a long jumper.  A Talley dish to Lee beyond the arc quickly put the Eagles up 5-0 over the Britons, aided by Riley's back-to-back rejections on attempted Albion shots. 
The Britons found their first points of the contest with a pair of free throws after being held scoreless for three and a half minutes.  A Riley handoff to Bryant under the basket resulted in a drawn foul and a three-point play for the Eagles, sending the Eagles into double digits and increasing the lead, 11-2. 
Coming out of the second media timeout, aggressive defensive pressure by the Green and White forced an Albion turnover, which the Eagles used to their advantage as Ward drained back-to-back three-pointers.  The Britons answered back with a three of their own by Zach Hurth, but the Eagles retained a substantial edge, sitting at 17-7 over the opposition. 
Lee found Olalekan Ajayi (Winston-Salem, N.C.-Quality Education Academy (Collin College)) in the paint to start off a 7-0 run, and after the Britons managed to score off a mid-range jumper from Carter Elliot, EMU ran off four points within 20 seconds courtesy of a slam dunked tip-in by Riley and a Lee fast break teardrop shot over the Briton defensive effort, increasing the lead to a 20-point margin with the Eagles on the winning side of the 29-9 advantage. 
Anthony Strickland (Ypsilanti, Mich.-D.H. Roubichaud (Adrian)) found the backboard to land a layup to give the Eagles their last points of the first half.  The Green and White held the Britons to just three field goals out of an attempted 24 shots for a 12.5 percentage.  Meanwhile, the Green and White had quadrupled that count, making 12-of-27 for a 44.4 percentage.  Talley led going into the locker room with 10 points for the squad, and Riley dominated under the hoop, rejecting five shots and pulling down four rebounds. 
The Eagles were the first to score coming into the second half after a shot from Ward behind the charity stripe and a layup from Daylen Harrison (Akron, Ohio-St. Vincent-St. Mary (Wyoming)) put the Green and White up 34-11.  Riley's sixth block of the afternoon put the rock into Ward's hands, who ran down the court for a fastbreak dunk.  The Britons were able to get their offense going, rattling off six points in under two minutes, but a turnaround jumper from Riley and Lee's second three point play prevented Albion from stringing any points together and built the lead in the season opening contest to 41-18.
Albion picked up its effort in the paint, led by Jordan Herron scoring inside the key twice in a 30-second span.  The Briton's managed to keep pace with the Eagles, scoring 14 points in the first half to battle the Eagles' 17-point effort.  They had a great deal of ground to cover, however, as the Eagle's first-half effort left them a comfortable cushion at 48-25.  The Green and White cut their visiting team no slack, as two jumpers from Glenn Bryant and a three from Sims extended Albion's deficit to nearly 30 points.
The Britons Eric Evans and Carter Elliott served as the catalysts for their squad, combining for nine points in just over a minute of play, bringing the score to 60-36.  Talley broke away to hit a layup and a three for Eastern, after which Ward nailed two free throws and Harrison placed a jumper to put the Eagles up 71-40 with under four minutes remaining. 
The Eagles continued to be a force in the paint, as back-to-back-to-back dunks from Ajayi and Bryant closed out the second half, bringing the final score to 77-45.  With the win, the Eagles are 68-49 all-time in season openers.  The 32-point victory margin is one point more than when the Eagles and the Britons last met on the hardwood in 2003. 
The Green and White will remain at home for the next four contests.  On Nov. 12, they will host Concordia at 7 p.m., followed by a matchup against Robert Morris on Nov. 14 at 7:30 p.m.

Central Michigan 101, Manchester College 49

MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. – John Simons scored a career-high 27 points to lead the Central Michigan University men’s basketball team to a 101-49 win over Manchester on Friday in the 2013-14 season opener.

The Chippewas (1-0) trailed the Spartans, 9-8, with 16:12 left to play in the first half but after two free throws from Rayshawn Simmons, the Chippewas took the lead and didn't look back. Central went on a 41-11 run leading up to the final media timeout of the half with 3:39 left to play.
The Chippewas managed to take a 48-25 lead into the locker room at the break.
CMU’s momentum carried into the second half after a 7-0 run was sparked by a lay-up from Simons and three-consecutive Manchester turnovers.
The Spartans were unable to chip away at the double-digit deficit as Central shot 60 percent from the floor during the second half, while Manchester was held to 9-of-28 shooting (32%) and was forced into 13 turnovers.
In addition to Simon's 27 points, 17 of which came in the first half, he led the Chippewas with eight rebounds and shot 3-4 from behind the arc.
Freshman guard Braylon Rayson chipped in 12 points for the Chippewas and junior Austin Keel scored 11. Sophomore Chris Fowler had a game-high seven assists.
The Chippewas 101 points is the first triple-digit game since February 2008 versus Buffalo.
The Chippewas will travel to Peoria, Ill. next Tuesday, Nov. 12, to face Bradley at 8 p.m. (ET). The next home date for the Chippewas is Saturday, Nov. 16, against Pepperdine at 6:30 p.m.

Kent State 84, Ohio Northern 48

KENT, Ohio – Derek Jackson scored 18 points in his Kent State debut and the Golden Flashes rolled to an 84-48 season-opening win over Ohio Northern on Friday night at the M.A.C. Center.
The Flashes broke the game open with a run midway through the first quarter that was ignited by a steal and dunk by Jackson. The transfer from Central Michigan connected on 6-of-7 from the field, scoring most of his baskets off of his four steals on the other end of the floor. 
"I felt good in my first game after taking a year off," said Jackson, who sat out last season under Division I transfer rules. "Kent State welcomed me into its family and I feel really comfortable here. I always want to think defense first, playing the passing lanes and making people drive where they don't want to drive. That's what I try to do."
Backup point guard Kellon Thomas said Jackson, "fits our team perfectly. He is a big piece to what we were missing. He does exactly what we need him to do, guarding the best player on the other team and bringing a lot of energy."
The Flashes showed off their depth and versatility at the guard position as the starting backcourt of Jackson and Kris Brewer combined for 25 points, 9 rebounds, and 8 steals. Thomas added seven points, including a 3-pointer just before the first-half buzzer to give Kent State a 41-20 lead at the break.
Mark Henniger, Chris Ortiz, Khaliz Spicer and Marquiez Lawrence added six points each for the Flashes, who saw 12 of the 13 players in uniform reach the scoring column. Led by 8 rebounds from Brewer and six each by Goodson and Spicer, the Flashes controlled the battle of the boards 47-35.
The only disappointment for Kent State may have come from the three-point arc, where the Flashes made just one of their first 14 threes and 4-of-19 overall.
Division III Ohio Northern shot just 29-percent from the field (15-for-51) against a Kent State defense that also came up with 15 steals. Hounded all night by Jackson, the Polar Bears' leading scorer from last season, Branden Rushton, managed just six points on 3-of-9 shooting. Dominique Royal and Joey Hurless led Ohio Northern with 9 and 8 points, respectively.
Kent State plays at Temple on Monday as part of the ESPN Tip-Off Marathon. After continuing the road trip with a game at Seton Hall on Wednesday, the Flashes return to Kent for the start of a seven-game homestand Nov. 17 against Saint Peters.
"It was nice to play somebody else in front of some people," said Kent State head coach Rob Senderoff. "Obviously, Ohio Northern is a Division III school so they may not have the athletes that we have, but we needed to play a game like this to get us prepared for the stretch ahead.
"The one thing that we can take from this game is that we need to keep playing this hard. Everyone who stepped on the floor competed at a high level. That's what we expect."
Nebraska-Omaha 68, Northern Illinois 66
DEKALB, Ill. – The Northern Illinois University men’s basketball team led for 38 minutes, but Nebraska Omaha used 84 percent free throw shooting to slip past the Huskies, 68-66, on Friday night at the NIU Convocation Center. Sophomore wing Darrell Bowie (Milwaukee, Wis./La Jolla Prep) scored a team-high 16 points to lead the Huskies. 
Sophomore guard Daveon Balls (Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence North) added 13 points on 5-of-9 shooting, but the Huskies were unable to overcome a 53.6 percent shooting effort (15-of-28) from the free-throw line. Omaha connected on 27 of its 32 attempts from the charity stripe (84.4 percent).
“It seemed like we were in control in the first half, in a good rhythm,” said NIU head coach Mark Montgomery. “We had a good lead at halftime, unfortunately we had a little foul trouble, and that definitely hurt us in the second half. I thought we played good enough to win the game but when you miss 13 free throws and you can’t expand on your lead it comes back to bite you. 
“We have to find a way to finish game. We had the lead late but they made a few more plays down the stretch than we did.”
NIU (0-1) had led the entire second half and held a five-point lead, 60-55, with four minutes to go before a basket by Alex Phillips and a triple from C.J. Carter pulled the Mavericks even with 3:02 left. 
After an old-fashioned three-point play from sophomore guard Travon Baker (Detroit, Mich./Detroit Consortium) put the Huskies back up three, 65-62, with just over a minute left, Carter responded with a pair of free throws and his own three-point play to give Omaha (1-0) a two-point edge with just 13 seconds remaining. 
Both teams split a pair of free throws, giving the Huskies one last chance, down two, with six seconds to play, but a floater came up just short and Omaha escaped with the season-opening victory. 
Bowie started the game hot, scoring six points in the opening three minutes to give NIU an early 9-6 lead. 
The final five of Bowie’s opening half-dozen sparked a 13-2 run that gave NIU a 17-8 advantage just over eight minutes into the contest. Redshirt junior center Jordan Threloff (DeKalb, Ill./DeKalb/Illinois State) came off the bench to score six during the NIU burst, Threloff finished with nine points on 4-of-4 shooting in just 16 minutes as he was limited by foul trouble. 
A basket by Omaha cut the NIU lead back to seven, 17-10, before a triple from sophomore guard J.J. Cravatta (Streator, Ill./Streator Township) and a layup by Balls gave the Huskies a 22-10 lead, its largest of the contest, just before the midway point of the first half. 
The Huskies took an 11-point lead, 39-28, into the intermission. 
Omaha made seven of its eight free throw attempts in the opening five minutes of the second half as the Mavericks trimmed the NIU lead to just five, 42-37. The Huskies pushed the advantage back to nine, 50-41, but were unable to extend it further. 
The Mavericks closed within a pair, 53-51, with just under 12 minutes to play but couldn’t pull even until Carter’s triple, his only one of the contest, with three minutes to play. 
Carter led Omaha with 18 points, six rebounds and four assists. Marcus Tyus scored nine points off the bench and the Mavericks held a 36-33 rebounding edge over the Huskies. 
NIU will return to action next Friday night (Nov. 15) when they host 2013 NCAA Tournament participant James Madison in the second game of the NIU Invitational. The tournament begins at 5:30 p.m., on Friday when San Jose State takes on UW Milwaukee.  

No. 21 Notre Dame 74, Miami 62

NOTRE DAME, Ind.—Sophomore guard Reggie Johnson scored a career-high 22 points, but it was not enough as the Miami University men’s basketball team lost at No. 21/22 Notre Dame on Friday evening, 74-62, in the season opener for both teams.

Johnson, who had 15 first-half points for Miami, led a trio of RedHawks to score in double figures. Senior forward Will Felder chipped in 13 points and a game-most seven rebounds. Sophomore guard Geovonie McKnight tied a career high with 13 points, scoring 10 in the second half.
Notre Dame led by as many as 16 in the opening half, holding 26-10 and 29-13 advantages. Miami went on a 14-3 run to close within five with 3:39 to go in the first half, 32-27. Johnson poured in 12 of the RedHawks’ 14 points during their scoring flurry.
The Fighting Irish came back with a 7-2 run to push its lead back to double figures, 39-29, but Johnson sunk a big triple with 36 seconds to go in the opening half to send Miami into the locker room trailing by seven points, 39-32.
Freshman guard Jaryd Eustace further shrunk the gap, opening the second half with a jumper to put Miami within five, 39-34. Miami trailed by six points, 41-35, off a Felder free throw, but the Fighting Irish went on an 7-0 spurt to push its lead back to double figures, 48-35, with 15:15 to go in the second half.
Notre Dame extended its lead to 16 points off a triple at 9:46, but two layups and a pair of free throws by McKnight put Miami within 10 points, 57-47. Miami continued to chisel away at the Notre Dame lead, and two free throws apiece from Eustace and senior center Blake McLimans put the Miami deficit in single digits with 6:20 to play, 59-51. That was as close as the RedHawks would get.
It was the third 20-point scoring effort of Johnson’s career.
Quinten Rollins added two points, five rebounds, seven assists with just one turnover.
Miami continues a three-game road stretch when the RedHawks travel to Arizona State for a 9 p.m. (ET) game on Tuesday, Nov. 12.
Texas A&M 82, Buffalo 58

COLLEGE STATION, TX – For 30 minutes on Friday night, the University at Buffalo men's basketball team hung with its SEC foe, but the Bulls were badly outscored over the final 10 minutes, 25-6 as they fell to Texas A&M, 82-58.  Friday night's game was the first for head coach Bobby Hurley.
The Bulls got out to a quick start as they built an eight-point first half lead off strong defense and easy looks at the basket.  A three-pointer from newcomer Joshua Freelove and a jumper from senior Javon McCrea put the Bulls ahead 25-17 with 6:34 remaining in the opening half. However, from there the Aggies went on a 22-6 run to take a 39-31 lead into the half.
Buffalo fought its way back as it opened the second half on an 8-1 run, capped off on a three-pointer from junior Will Regan, but the Aggies again found a six-point lead at, 48-42.  But the Bulls answered one more time, scoring seven straight points, the final three capped off on a fast-break steal and thunderous dunk from Freelove, who was fouled in the process.  The run gave the Bulls a 49-48 lead, but it would be their final lead of the night.  Texas A&M scored five straight points to regain the lead.  Sophomore newcomer Justin Moss than scored two points on a dunk with 9:48, which proved to be UB's final field goal of the night.  The Bulls scored four final points from the free throw line.
"I thought we did a pretty good job defensively in the first half," said Hurley.  "We just had some breakdowns late in the half and there is big difference heading into the locker room down two or up two and then down eight and we just didn't play well over the final three minutes.  Offensively, our guys are still learning the new system and our field goal percentage wasn't nearly where we would have liked it to be tonight."
McCrea led the way with 14 points, five rebounds and two blocked shots in his season debut.  Freelove added 11 points, while sophomore Jarryn Skeete had nine points on 3-of-10 shooting from behind the arc.  Senior Jarod Oldham and Moss each added seven points, while junior Xavier Ford added six.  McCrea and Oldham were both limited in their minutes due to foul trouble.
All 11 players saw action in the game, including freshman Shannon Evans, who played 22 minutes, running the point while Oldham was out of the game.  Despite not scoring, Evans added three boards and three assists.  Fellow freshman Deyshonee Much had a point and three rebounds.
As a team, the Bulls had 14 turnovers, including just five in the second half.  However, the Aggies were able to turn those turnovers into 20 points.
Texas A&M finished with a balanced scoring effort as five players scored in double figures, including Jordan Green and Kourtney Roberson, who each had 15 points.
The Bulls will remain on the road Wednesday night when they head north up the I-190 for a matchup against Niagara.  Tip off is set for 7:00 pm.