Tuesday's Men's Soccer Result

Updated 10/30/2013


Courtesy of Hartwick Athletic Communications
ALBANY, NY – Hartwick tied Albany 0-0 in the Hawks' final road game of the regular season on Tuesday night at Bob Ford Field. It marks the second straight draw away from home for 'Wick after a 1-1 stalemate at Bowling Green last Saturday. The Hawks return home for a critical MAC contest against Northern Illinois on Elmore Field Saturday at 3 p.m.
The Great Danes would finish the match with a 12-9 advantage in shots. However, the Hawks had more shots on goal, 4-2.
Mateo Munarriz (Manizales, Colombia/Colegio Granadino) made two saves in the Hartwick goal to earn his fourth shutout of the season. Michael Pizzuti made four saves for Albany.
"Overall we're not disappointed," said John Scott after the match. "We could have been better in the final third but to play 110 minutes Saturday with a long trip back and having to go another 110 tonight, it's not a bad result."
Albany (4-9-4) outshot the Hawks 3-2 in the first half of play. The Danes' first two shots in the opening 19 minutes were well high of the Hartwick goal and the third was wide of the target. Nick Hills (Garden Suburb, Australia/U. of Newcastle) had Hartwick's first shot in the 28th minute which went high. Jhevaughn Beckford (Kingston, Jamaica/Wolmer's Boys' School) put a shot on frame late in the half from long range which Pizzuti saved.
Albany's top chance of the night came in the 57th minute. Anthony Rozanno had the ball in the middle of the park roughly 25 yards away from Hartwick's goal. The Hawks' defenders did not close him down and after a few touches Rozanno unleashed a booming shot that deflected off the goal post.
Hartwick's best opportunity came in the waning minutes of regulation. Mike Rood's (Conklin, NY/Susquehanna) corner kick in the 82nd minute was met perfectly by defender Matthew Robertson (Banchory, Scotland/Binghamton) in the box. His powerful header looked destined for goal but Pizzuti made a miraculous diving save to keep the ball out.
The Great Danes registered a pair of corners and two shots in the first 10-minute overtime but both were off the mark. The Hawks thought they had registered the game-winner in the second overtime as Max Walcott (London, England/West Herts College) headed in a service into the Albany box but the head official had blown the whistle for a foul just prior to the tally.
"To be honest we're still bemused at where the foul occurred," added Scott.
With the tie the Hawks are now 8-2-2 against the Danes in the all-time series.
Hartwick wraps up its MAC schedule with NIU Saturday. The Hawks can all but sew up their first MAC Tournament appearance since 2009 with a victory over the Huskies.