Tuesday's Men's Soccer Results

Updated 10/23/2013


Courtesy of MAC Athletic Communications Departments
Bowling Green 1, Wright St. 0
Northern Illinois 3, Eastern Illinois 0
Western Michigan 4, IPFW 1
West Virginia 0, American 0
DAYTON, Ohio - An own goal in the second overtime gave the Bowling Green State University men's soccer team a 1-0 victory over host Wright State University Tuesday night (Oct. 22). The non-conference game was held at Alumni Field.
With the win, the Falcons are now 5-6-4 on the season, and BGSU has a two-game winning streak for the first time this fall. The Raiders drop to 3-8-1 on the year.
The victory also allowed BGSU to maintain possession of the I-75 Cup, which goes to the winner of the BGSU-WSU match each year. The Falcons are now 3-1-0 vs. the Raiders since the teams' head coaches, BG's Eric Nichols and WSU's Bryan Davis, came up with the idea for the cup prior to the 2010 season.
The winning goal came when a BG crossing ball was knocked into the goal by a Wright State defender in the 104th minute of the match.
"Obviously, we were fortunate to get the own goal," said Nichols. "I definitely feel for Wright State. That's a tough way to lose a game, and they battled hard.
"But, having said that, I also think we deserved to get the win. We did a lot of things well tonight: we defended very well, we created a lot of chances, we had better possession, and we had good focus and a good spirit all the way through. I think if we had come out of the match with anything but a win, it wouldn't have been just."
Senior Michael Wiest made four saves on the night as he and the Falcons posted their seventh shutout of the season. BG has kept seven clean sheets in each of the last three seasons, with Wiest in goal for 20 of those 21 shutouts.
Wiest now has a goals-against average of just 0.74 along with a saves percentage of .829 this season. In his career, he now has 201 saves, a GAA of 0.97 and a saves pct. of .807.
Tuesday night marked the Falcons' second overtime win in as many years over WSU. Last Oct. 30, Ryan James scored a pair of goals, including the OT winner, as the Brown and Orange picked up a 3-2 win over the Raiders at Cochrane Field. The Falcons now lead the overall series with Wright State by a 7-6-2 count.
Additionally, the victory was BGSU's third consecutive road win, and the fourth-straight shutout on the road. Wiest and the Falcons have not allowed a goal away from home since late in regulation of the Marshall match back on Sept. 27. BG has gone 415:18 without surrendering a goal on the road.
BGSU had a 17-9 advantage in shots on Tuesday night, with junior Danny Baraldi leading all players with four total shots and two shots on goal. The Falcons put six shots on goal to the Raiders' four.
James fired a shot just wide of goal with four minutes gone, and junior Vlad Lekarev stole the ball, found some space and hit a shot toward the goal in the 12th minute. Lekarev's shot was deflected, and WSU goalkeeper Tyler Blackmer made a diving effort to save the ball at the left post. Blackmer had five saves in the match.
In the 14th minute of the match, WSU's Wesley Cain hit a shot against the run of play, and Wiest made a leaping save, tipping the ball over the crossbar.
With 17 minutes left in the half, a nifty backheel pass by Baraldi found senior Zach Schewee near the end line. Schewee hit a ball toward the center of the six-yard box, and the cross/shot was deflected by Blackmer and knocked out of the box by a defender.
Baraldi and Schewee teamed up for another BG offensive effor with 10 minutes left in the half. Again, Baraldi found Schewee with a pass, but Schewee was tripped up as he headed into the box. The ball went to redshirt freshman Max Auden, who quickly fired a shot in traffic, but the shot sailed high.
Each team threatened in the final minute of the half, but Wiest made a nice diving grab of Eric Lynch's left-side cross in the center of the six-yard box, and James saw his shot blocked at the 18-yard line at the other end.
Early in the second period, after the teams had battled for possession near midfield, the Falcons took control of the ball. Senior Anthony Grant slid a pass to Schewee on his left. Schewee headed into the penalty area on the left side and, with two defenders hounding him, still hit a hard shot that forced Blackmer into a save at the upper-left-hand corner of the goal.
Twenty minutes into the half, James took a pass from Grant and slid a ball to freshman Joe Sullivan on the left side of the pitch. Sullivan cut back to his right and, from just outside of the box, put a diagonal pass in the direction of Grant, who was behind the defense. The two just missed connections on the pass, however, and the ball went out of bounds for a goal kick.
Midway through the period, the Falcons threatened again. Schewee's cross from the left side of the box was tipped by Sullivan at the six-yard line. The ball hit a WSU defender, and Baraldi poked at it at the far post, but his shot was grabbed by Blackmer.
With 16 minutes to go, Grant laid a pass in the path of the onrushing Sullilvan. The freshman uncorked a blast, but the shot was high.
BG had several chances over the next two minutes, as the Raiders had difficulty breaking up the Falcons' many lengthy possesions. But, senior Rodcliff Hall's cross rolled through the box without anyone able to get on the other end of it, and a Baraldi shot went over the bar a few moments later.
Six minutes remained when senior Ryan Snashall stole the ball at midfield. Snashall's pass found Baraldi, who hit a well-struck ball toward goal. But, Blackmer was there to stop the line drive.
With just over a minute to go, junior Jon Kumher put a ball into the box, and Grant fired a shot just wide from a sharp angle.
One of the Raiders' best chances of the night came in the final minute of regulation. The home team's leading scorer, Brett Elder, hit a shot from the left side that forced Wiest into a leaping save. The ball stayed in play, and WSU tracked it down, but the sequence ended with Elder shooting over the crossbar, and the teams went to overtime.
In the first extra session, the Falcons had three shots, but Lekarev put a shot wide midway through the period; a James effort was just off line, hitting the outside of the net on the right side; and Grant fired wide in the final seconds of the period as he raced toward the box.
WSU's lone shot of the first OT period came against the run of play, as Lynch shot high on a counterattack with two minutes on the clock.
While the winning goal was an own goal, the Falcons applied pressure in the second overtime stanza, with shots by Baraldi and Auden before the ball crossed the goal line with 3:18 gone in the period.
BGSU has now played seven matches that have gone to overtime this season, the program's highest total in a decade. The 2003 Falcons saw a school record-tying eight games go to OT. The 1984 team also played eight overtime contests.
The 2013 Falcons now return home to prepare for a key Mid-American Conference matchup this weekend. BGSU will host Hartwick College on Saturday night (Oct. 26), with kickoff at 7:00 p.m. The match is Senior Night for the Falcons, as the 10 seniors in the program will be recognized in ceremonies prior to the match.
"I'm proud that we were able to come down here and win the cup on away soil," said Nichols. "We are excited to come back to Cochrane Field, and we are looking forward to Saturday's match."
DEKALB, Ill. -- Junior Isaac Kannah (Plymouth, Minn./Prairie Seeds Academy) scored a pair of goals and junior Dusty Page (Germantown, Wis./Kettle Moraine Lutheran) scored the first goal of his collegiate career at the Northern Illinois University men’s soccer team ran past Eastern Illinois, 3-0, on Tuesday night in the first night game held at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex. 
“It was a pretty good performance for our guys, not outstanding but pretty good,” said NIU head coach Eric Luzzi. “To be fair, Eastern Illinois is better than their record indicates. They are a team that is capable of scoring a lot of goals, they had scored in every game this season coming into tonight, so the fact that we got the clean sheet is a good statement of what we are capable of defensively. 
“We limited their chances and on the ball we were pretty efficient. We didn’t create a ton of shots, but the ones we did were good chances. We were pretty clinical and got the just reward.” 
Eastern Illinois (1-10-2) had the first chance of the contest as a long distance shot from Jake Brillhart was easily saved by redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Andrew Glaeser (Walla Walla, Wash./Walla Walla/Oregon State) in the fifth minute.
The first chance for NIU (4-9-0) fell to junior Jayson LeSeth (Des Plaines, Ill./Maine West) in the 15th, but his shot from 25 yards was held by Eastern Illinois goalkeeper Ben Feltes. 
The Huskies broke the deadlock in the 24th minute on Kannah’s fourth goal of the season. After taking the ball off the foot of a Panther defender inside the box, Kannah took a pair of dribbles and fired a shot past Feltes inside the far post to give the Huskies a 1-0 advantage. 
Page had a chance to double the lead in the 38th minute. NIU won a free kick in midfield and Page rose highest, heading the free kick just wide. 
NIU did double its lead just before the intermission. Freshman Cody Witkowski (Batavia, Ill./Batavia) did well to work his way down the right wing before clipping a cross toward Kannah in the box. Kannah got a glancing header on it, tucking the ball just inside the post to give the Huskies a 2-0 lead in the 45th minute. 
The goal was the ninth for Kannah in his NIU career. 
“His first one shows what Isaac can do,” said Luzzi of Kannah’s goals. “He caught the guy napping on the ball, picked it off, gave himself a good chance and buried it. On the second goal, his movement in the box on Cody’s service was fantastic. It was a great service and a great finish, it was a good day for Isaac for sure.”
After halftime, Eastern Illinois had the first good chance of the second half as Colin Rook’s header went just wide off a corner in the 61st minute. 
The Huskies made it a three-goal advantage in the 63rd minute on Page’s first career goal. LeSeth served a dangerous corner inside the Panther six-yard box and Page powered home a header to give NIU a 3-0 lead. 
Just a minute later, Glaeser made his best save of the match, getting a fingertip to a shot by Jake Plant to push it just around the post. Glaeser finished the match with five saves and picked up his second shutout of the season.
“It was awesome,” Luzzi said of the first night game at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex. “We had a pretty good crowd, the atmosphere was good. We have waited a long time for this night and it came together really well. The guys enjoyed it and it was a great night.”
NIU will return to the road on Saturday, Oct. 26, when the Huskies travel to Akron, Ohio, to face the Zips. Game time at Akron is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT.
KALAMAZOO, Mich.- Western Michigan put two goals on the board in each half and four different Bronco players scored as WMU upended IPFW, 4-1, Tuesday.
The Broncos dominated from start to finish, and it took Western Michigan less than two minutes to register its first goal. IPFW was whistled for a foul in the middle of its defensive half. Kyle Farris took the free kick from 30 yards out and chipped it towards the back post. Senior Oliver Mayer raced in and knocked in a header for his third goal of the season.
Freshman Edu Jimenez put WMU up 2-0 before the half with a goal in the 31st minute. Freshman Sam Bell worked the ball deep on the left side near the end line and fired off a cross. Jimenez slipped in between two defenders and nodded it home for his second career goal.
The staging of WMU’s third tally was much similar to the first. In the 53rd minute, Farris lined up to take a free kick from almost the same distance and again lofted it towards the far post. IPFW goalkeeper Raphael Kotzock bobbled the ball and Connor Furgason poked in the mishandle for his third goal of the year.
Reigning Mid-American Conference Player of the Week Marco Lobo made the count 4-0 in the 61st minute when he finished in front of the net off a ball in from Bell. It was Lobo’s second goal in as many games and his third of the season. Bell’s two assists were the first and second of his career. 
A hand ball in the box resulted in a penalty kick and goal for IPFW in the 69th minute to make for a 4-1 final.
The win improved Western Michigan to 6-7-0 on the season and 3-1-0 at home. 
WMU tested Kotzock in goal throughout the afternoon, taking 14 shots and putting 10 on frame. Mayer nearly had a second goal minutes after his first. He knocked another header past Kotzock, but it was headed away by a Mastodon defender for a team save. 
IPFW was limited to just five shots total, all of which came in the second half. Sophomore Chase Rau started in goal for Western Michigan and was swapped out for junior Adriano Deabreu in the second half. Deabreu made two saves.
Western Michigan resumes MAC play Saturday, heading to West Virginia to play its first ever contest in Morgantown. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The West Virginia University men’s soccer team played to a scoreless draw at American on Tuesday afternoon at Reeves Field.
The tie brings WVU’s overall record to 6-6-3 as the Mountaineers outshot the Eagles, 16-14. Junior Andy Bevin and sophomore Ryan Cain each had three shots for WVU.
There were not many legitimate opportunities until late in the second half and overtime. WVU junior goalkeeper Lee Johnston picked up his fourth shutout of the season as he made five saves, including two in the first overtime period.
In the 72nd minute it appeared that Bevin broke the scoreless tie. Bevin rebounded a shot by Cain, but was ruled offside.
Both teams had chances to win the match in the final three minutes on goalkeeper mistakes. American goalkeeper Dylan Hobert misplayed a ball that stolen by Bevin, who was unable to get a shot off in the 87th minute. In the 88th minute, Johnston came out of his net and misplayed a ball that went just wide of the goal.
American’s best opportunity of the match was in the 107th minute as Joe Iraola launched a point-blank shot over the crossbar.
WVU returns to Mid-American Conference action when it takes on Western Michigan on Saturday, Oct. 26 at 7 p.m.
The game will serve as the final Dollar Night of the season, with all tickets, hot dogs, popcorn and Coca-Colas available for $1 each. Students are admitted free with a valid WVU student ID.
All fans are encouraged to wear a Halloween costume to the match.
As part of the Kick or Treat festivities, the Mountaineer Maniacs will conduct a costume contest with prizes for the best costumes. Also, concession items such as sausage and pretzels and alcoholic beverages will be available for purchase.
Fans also are encouraged to bring a non-perishable food item to the game to support the Mountaineer Food Bank. Those who do will receive a coupon for a free popcorn and a ticket for a future match.