Saturday's Field Hockey Results

Updated 10/18/2013

Saturday Field Hockey Scoreboard

Missouri State 2, Miami 5
Kent State 5, Ball State 2
Central Michigan 2, Ohio 1


Missouri State 2, Miami 5

OXFORD, Ohio – The Miami University field hockey team had its penalty corner game going on Saturday, and it used it to earn a 5-2 victory over Missouri State. Miami improves to 8-6 overall and 2-0 in the Mid-American Conference. The Bears fall to 3-11 overall and 0-3 in the MAC.
The RedHawks featured a balance offense, as five different players scored on Saturday. Each goal was scored on a penalty corner attack.
Miami got on the board in the fifth minute when senior back Jordan Long found junior back Ali Froede for the goal. Two minutes later, junior midfielder Gabby Goldach tipped in freshman midfielder Carla Romagosa’s pass to make it 2-0. It remained that way until the 19th minute, when a strong pass allowed Missouri State to put a goal in the left side and send the game into the break with the ‘Hawks in front, 2-1.
On a penalty corner in the 41st minute, the Bears were able to make a defensive save on sophomore midfielder Bea Dechant’s shot. Senior forward Emily Gruesser was there to grab the rebound, and she plugged it in to make it 3-1.
Miami put the game away during a three minute stretch beginning in the 51st minute. Romagosa found Long to give the RedHawks a 4-1 advantage. Dechant then completed Miami’s scoring in the 54th minute off a pass from senior back Sid Marcum. Missouri State made it 5-2 in the 63rd minute when it scored on a penalty stroke.
The RedHawks outshot the Bears, 13-9, for the game. Miami also had a 7-4 advantage in penalty corners. Gruesser led the ‘Hawks with four shots, while senior goalkeeper Sarah Mueller made five saves in net.
Miami returns to action on Sunday when it hosts 18th-ranked Iowa at noon.

Kent State 5, Ball State 2

MUNCIE, Ind. – Kent State (7-8, 3-0 MAC) took care of business in the opening half at Ball State (5-9, 0-3 MAC) on Saturday afternoon (Oct. 19) en route to a 5-2 victory to remain perfect in Mid-American Conference play.
"I'm pleased to come out with a road win in conference play," said Head Coach Kathleen Wiler.
Just seven minutes into the game Sabrina Binder netted a goal off a rebound to get the Golden Flashes on the board with an assist by Julia Hofmann.  Then Hofmann herself scored off a penalty corner seven minutes later, as Binder traded roles to assist on the second goal.
Kent State took a 3-0 lead into halftime after Melanie Kahn scored at the 27-minute mark off a deflection.
"We executed in the first 35 minutes," said Wiler.  "We had some good early passing in our structure.  We had some good corner execution.  I was happy that the little things we've been working on showed up in that first half."
Three goals would have been enough, but the Golden Flashes weren't done.  Ball State got on the board five minutes into the second half, but Kent State answered quickly after as Alyssa McFerren dribbled on the right side of the goal and scored to push the lead to 4-1.
The Cardinals were able to net another 49 minutes into the contest.  The Golden Flashes followed suit, scoring their final tally with 15 minutes to go in the game.  Missy Ramsey was able to convert her shot unassisted to close out the 5-2 victory.
Kent State bombarded the net in the game, getting off 16 shots with 12 of those coming on goal.  Their defense held Ball State to just ten shots with only two coming on goal.
Hofmann and Rebecca Lee both had three shots for Kent State.  Binder and Jenna McHale had two shots each.  Hofmann and Binder both led the team in points, each finishing with a goal and an assist.
The Golden Flashes will try to stay undefeated in conference play as they host Miami next Sunday (Oct. 27).  The team encourages fans to wear gold, and the first 50 students in attendance will receive a free t-shirt.  The game is the team's Senior Day and also marks the 25th Anniversary of their first MAC Championship in 1988.  Alumni will be recognized at halftime.

Central Michigan 2, Ohio 1

ATHENS, Ohio – The Ohio University field hockey team (5-8, 1-1 MAC) dropped a 2-1 overtime contest to Central Michigan (5-8, 2-1 MAC) Saturday afternoon at Pruitt Field in the Bobcats’ home opener.
Ohio held a 1-0 lead early in the second half, but Central Michigan notched two unanswered goals – including the game winner with less than a minute left in overtime – to escape Athens with the victory.
Central Michigan held a 13-9 edge in shots for the contest and took eight penalty corners to Ohio’s four.
“Generally I thought we played OK, but it wasn’t a consistent game,” head coach Neil Macmillan said. “We didn’t do everything we wanted to in terms of combining and passing the ball around. We put together some nice plays, but we didn’t stick to our game plan for some critical portions of the match.”
Senior Luli Gomez Teruel (Salta, Argentina) posted her MAC-leading 10th goal of the season and took a team-high four shots (including three on goal) to pace the Bobcats offensively. Freshman Franziska Schmiedel (Mulheim, Germany) posted the assist on Gomez Teruel’s goal, which marked the second of her Ohio career.
Sophomore Adele Sammons (Upminster, England) also recorded three shots for Ohio, including one on goal.
Junior goalkeeper Brittany Walker (Elizabethtown, Pa.) made six saves while allowing two goals in 84:02 in the cage.
Walker made her first save of the game in the sixth minute by making a nice stop on a shot by CMU’s Bailey McKeon. McKeon again fired a shot at the cage at 15’ , but Walker again rejected her shot to keep the score knotted at zero.
Just four minutes later, the Bobcats struck first. In the 19th minute, senior Jessica Jue (Vancouver, British Columbia) took a corner for Ohio. Junior Lauryl Desch (Charlottesville, Va.) received the pass and sent it in to Schmiedel, who found Gomez Teruel for the goal.
Ohio continued its aggressive play with five minutes remaining in the first half, as Gomez Teruel and Sammons fired back-to-back shots for Ohio, but were unable to score.
The teams entered the break with Ohio holding a 1-0 lead.
The Chippewas tied the game at 1-1 a little more than 10 minutes into the second half, when Jordyn Brengosz deflected a shot into the left corner of the goal on an assist by McKeon. Ohio was a player down at the time after a yellow card was issued to the Bobcats.
CMU then had two strong scoring opportunities at 60’ and 61’, but Walker made saves on both shot attempts to keep the score tied at 1-1.
The Bobcats could not score for the remainder of the second half, sending the match into overtime.
Ohio controlled the early portion of the overtime session and had two penalty corners at 74’ and 75’. But the ‘Cats could not convert on shot attempts by Sammons and Jue.
Sammons again struck in the 78th minute, but her shot was saved by CMU goalie Cayleigh Immelman.
In the 83rd minute, Desch came up huge for Ohio, making a big defensive save to keep Ohio in the match. But with less than a minute to play, CMU’s Mary Alice Moore sent the Chippewas home with the win after notching a goal off the penalty corner.
The game marked Ohio’s first on its brand new Pruitt Field surface.
The Bobcats return to action Wednesday at 5 p.m. with a home contest against rival Miami.