Sunday's Women's Soccer Results

Updated 9/13/2013

Sunday's Women's Soccer Scoreboard 9/15:

Akron 2, Canisius 1
Buffalo 1, Austin Peay 0
Kent State 1, Cincinnati 2
Central Michigan 1, Indiana 2
Miami 3, Purdue 4
Ball State , Air Force
Eastern Michigan 2, Michigan State 3
Northern Illinois , Western Illinois


Akron 2, Canisius 1

BUFFALO, N.Y. – Two second half goals gave The University of Akron (3-2-2) women's soccer team the win on Sunday afternoon over Canisius College (2-6-1) by a score of 2-1 at the Demske Sports Complex.
Akron and Canisius played strong defense through the first period, as the match went scoreless in the first 45 minutes. Sophomore Madison Kaser provided the Zips with two shots on goal in the first half. 
The Golden Griffs took a 1-0 lead ten minutes into the second half with a goal by Brianna Smith in the 55th minute, which is sophomore goalie Klaire Adee's 11th goal allowed this season.
Freshman Sarah Sivic registered the Zips first goal of the match in the 64th minute, assisted by junior Lani Smith, to knot the game at one. Sivic has now scored four goals this season, and leads the Zips offense with a total of 12 points. 
With the match tied at one in the 71st minute, Smith netted her third goal of the season to give Akron a 2-1 lead that would stand through regulation. This is the first game of Smith's UA career in which she recorded one goal and one assist.
Adee's record at goalie improved to 3-2-2 with the 2-1 win over Canisius on Sunday. She registered a total of five saves in the match to bring her season total to 27 saves. 
Overall, the Zips offense controlled much of the game, as Akron out-shot Canisius 22 to 13. Smith led Akron with five shots, three on target, while three Zips – Kelly DeNiro, Kaser and Sivic – tied with four shots a piece.
Akron will be back in action at home in FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field next Sunday, Sept. 22 to face Cleveland State. Last season, UA defeated CSU, 2-0, in Cleveland.

Buffalo 1, Austin Peay 0

BUFFALO, NY – No better way for a game to end on Senior Day at UB Stadium than to have a senior, Karen McMahon, score the game-winning goal in double overtime. The Bulls forward scored her first goal of the season with 1:45 remaining in the second overtime period to give Buffalo the 1-0 victory over previously undefeated Austin Peay.
Before the game on Sunday, the Bulls honored their five seniors as a part of Senior Day, Lauren Coviello, Courtney Gross, Natalie Jurisevic, McMahon and Ainsley Wheldon.
"I think we struggled a little bit in the first half due to some of the distractions of Senior Day," stated Michael Thomas. "From halftime on though, I was really pleased with how we played. We had some young players come in and bring some energy, especially Celina Carrero and Dana Lytle."
After heading to double overtime for the third-straight home contest, McMahon stepped up and ended the game for the Bulls. Kristin Markiewicz fed a perfect service to the back post where McMahon was open to bury the game-winning tally, just to the right of the Austin Peay goalkeeper. The assist for Markiewicz was her first of the young season.
Senior goalkeeper Ainsley Wheldon continued her stellar play on Sunday afternoon, making three saves in her fourth-straight shutout victory. Earning her 19th career shutout, Wheldon is now just two shy of the program record for shutouts in a career. The Bulls defensive core of Markiewicz, Natalie Jurisevic, Sophie Therien and Courtney Gross helped extend their opponents scoreless streak to 422 minutes over the last five games.
"The defense continues to not conceive goals and I believe today was one of their most complete performances of the year," said Thomas. "I was more pleased with the back four today, than I ever have been and you just can't write a better ending then to have a senior end the game with a goal on Senior Day."
With very minimal good scoring chances early on in the first half, the Bulls were able to get the best shot of the opening half off when McMahon's blast from 15 yards out, sailed just over the goal. Austin Peay led the shots category after the opening 45 minutes, 6-2.
In the 66th minute, junior Megan Giesen almost gave the Bulls a goal but her blast towards the right corner of the net was snagged by a diving Nikki Filippone. With neither team created chances down the stretch, the Bulls went to overtime for the third-straight game.
Both teams thought they had finally ended the game in the second overtime as McMahon had her right footed shot ring off the cross bar and the Lady Govs had their goal disallowed due to an offsides call. Just a minute after the offsides from Austin Peay, McMahon ended Senior Day with her third career goal.   
The Bulls will return to the pitch on Wednesday at UB Stadium as they play host to non-conference rival Niagara. First kick is set for 7:00 pm.

Kent State 1, Cincinnati 2

CINCINNATI, Ohio – The Kent State women's soccer team was defeated 2-1 by Cincinnati on Sunday afternoon at Gettler Stadium.    The loss drops the Golden Flashes to 4-3-0 on the year, while Cincinnati moved to 2-6.
"We need to learn that in order to be successful we need to play for a full 90 minutes," said Head Coach Rob Marinaro.  "We will continue to challenge ourselves to have a lot more grit to start games.  I believe at this point we have learned our lesson that we can't play anything less than a complete game."
Cincinnati scored 34 minutes into the game when Emily Elsbrock scored her first goal of the season when she got one past Kent State goalkeeper Stephanie Senn that would give the Bearcats a 1-0 lead heading into halftime. Teammates Bailey Wilson and Mackenzie Reynolds were each credited with an assist.
The Bearcats made it 2-0 just minutes after halftime when Danielle Rotheram crossed the ball to Mackenzie Reynolds who headed it past Senn to increase the team's lead to 2-0. 
Kent State cut its deficit to one when sophomore Madison Helterbran scored in the 67th minute after a serve from junior Calli Rincella.  The goal was her second of the year, as she is now tied for first on the team in points with six (2g, 2a).
The Golden Flashes had some great looks on goal throughout the remainder of the period, including a shot from junior Stephanie Haugh at the 71-minute mark that missed wide, and senior Jessacca Gironda followed with one in the 84th minute that was picked up by Bearcat goalkeeper Natalie Smith. 
Cincinnati out-shot the Golden Flashes 11-9 and also boasted an 8-4 advantage in corner kicks. 
Smith, who earned three saves in net, received the win for Cincinnati  to improve to 1-3-0.  Senn tallied five saves and dropped to 4-3-0.
The Golden Flashes will now host Youngstown State at 4 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 20 at Zoeller Field. 

Central Michigan 1, Indiana 2

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The Central Michigan soccer team ended its lengthy September road campaign with a 2-1 setback to Indiana at the Hoosier Classic on Sunday at Armstrong Field. 
The Chippewas wasted no time on the scoring attack as Emily Cooksey delivered a strike from 12 yards, dribbling past the Hoosier goalkeeper, in the fourth minute. The goal marked her first of the season and second of her career. Cooksey’s goal snapped a five game, 472-minute scoring drought for CMU.
Indiana responded in the 33rd minute, when junior midfielder Tori Keller delivered a cross to junior midfielder Abby Smith who found the back of the net from 10 yards out. The goal was Smith's second of the season. 
The Hoosiers found another quality chance in the 36th minute when senior forward Rebecca Candler’s penalty shot was stopped by junior goalkeeper Grace Labrecque. Senior midfielder Lisa Nouanesengsy hit the cross bar just two minutes later for Indiana.
Labrecque appeared in her second start of the year, recording a career-high eight saves in net against a strong Indiana attack that tallied a total of 21 shots.
“I think that overall Grace had a great performance,” said head coach Peter McGahey. “Her experience in net really paid off, as she was both composed and mature.”
Just moments before halftime, CMU responded to Indiana’s late first half pressure, as freshman forward Angie Mann nearly found the back of the net, hitting the cross bar in the 43rd minute. The shot on goal was the first of her collegiate career.
Senior forward Nicole Samuel supplied another quality chance on the offensive end for the Chippewas as she headed a shot saved by the goalkeeper in the 76th minute.
In the 85th minute, Kayleigh Steigerwalt, who led the team with three shots on goal, made the difference as she dribbled past Chippewa defenders and delivered a strike into the net from 20 yards out. Steigerwalt’s goal was her second of the season. 

The Chippewas return home to the CMU Soccer Complex to take on Dayton on Friday, Sept. 20 at 5 p.m.

Miami 3, Purdue 4

OXFORD, Ohio – For the third straight match, the Miami University women’s soccer team was involved in a tight, high-scoring contest, and for the third straight time, the RedHawks came up just short, falling in double overtime to Purdue, 4-3, Sunday afternoon on Senior Day at Miami Soccer Field. Miami (3-4-0) is now 0-2 in overtime this year, both coming in the last three games, while the Boilermakers (5-2-1) improved to 1-0-1 in extra sessions this year.
The RedHawks led three different times during Sunday’s match, including in the 81st minute when senior midfielder Katy Dolesh put Miami up, 3-2, but Purdue answered right back and then won the match 1:33 into the second overtime. The ‘Hawks also fell in overtime to Louisville last Sunday, 3-2, after leading 2-0 early in the second half and dropped another tough, 4-3 decision to Milwaukee on Friday after Miami took the lead in the 75th minute.
“We want to put together a good 90 minutes and that means starting well and finishing well,” head coach Bobby Kramig said. “We’re playing some very good soccer right now. We’re scoring a lot of goals; we’re doing some really good things. We have to be better defensively though. We are hemorrhaging goals right now and that cannot continue.”
Offensively, Miami’s seniors did all they could to get a win on Senior Day as Dolesh scored two goals, both coming off assists from fellow senior midfielder Kayla Zakrzewski. It was just Dolesh’s third multi-goal game of her career, and first since 2011, while she now has three goals in her last two games and a team-best five on the year. Senior midfielder Jordan Pawlik led the way for Purdue, totaling five points on two goals, including the game-winner, and an assist, which helped tie the match late.
The RedHawks wasted no time getting on the board as the senior connection of Zakrzewski and Dolesh struck just 2:01 into the contest. Zakrzewski tried to the pass the ball into the box, but it was deflected and bounced over a Boilermaker defender. Purdue keeper Jordan Ginther tried to grab it but it bounced by her as well, and Dolesh was waiting at the post to slot the ball into the net for a 1-0 lead.
The lead was short-lived however, as the Boilermakers pulled even a little over two minutes later. Freshman forward Maddy Williams received the ball out wide and dribbled toward goal, firing a shot past charging senior goalkeeper Allison Norenberg. The ball looked headed for goal but Alex Hairston was alone in front of net and cleaned it up to tie the game only 4:17 into the match.
Miami regained the lead in the 37th minute when sophomore midfielder Haley Walter scored for the fourth straight game. Freshman forward Jenna Weiner sent a through ball between two Purdue defenders that the speedy Walter ran onto and booted on target just before Ginther could clear it to put the ‘Hawks back ahead, 2-1. The lead would stand at the break, as Miami outshot the Boilermakers, 5-3, in the opening half, while both teams collected one corner kick.
Again Purdue answered in the second half, pulling level in the 62nd minute when Pawlik put a penalty kick into the right corner of the goal. The Boilermakers were attacking in the left side of the box when Pawlik stumbled and fell, drawing a whistle from the referee for a penalty kick. Both teams then had good chances to pull ahead over the next 15 minutes. First, Dolesh found Zakrzewski open in the box, but her header in the 68th minute sailed just over the crossbar. Seven minutes later, Norenberg made a diving save on Purdue senior Hadley Stuart from close range to tip the ball around the post.
In the 81st minute, Miami did grab the lead as Zakrzewski and Dolesh hooked up again. Zakrzewski had possession of the ball on the left wing and waited for Dolesh to make her run, sending a through ball into the box that Dolesh tracked down and one-timed with the outside of her foot behind a charging Clara Kridler, who replaced Ginther as Purdue’s keeper at halftime. Once more, the one-goal advantage was quickly erased as just 1:21 after Dolesh’s second goal of the game, Pawlik sent a low cross along the goal line that found Stuart open for the tap-in to knot the game at 3-3.
In the final seconds of regulation, Purdue made a push but Norenberg came off her line to beat Taylor Niewoit to the ball, as the match remained square after 90 minutes and headed to overtime. In the first extra session, the RedHawks controlled play and nearly won twice but Zakrzewski hit the crossbar on two different occasions within five minutes. In the closing seconds of the first overtime, during which Miami outshot Purdue, 4-3, Stuart ripped a shot from the left side that beat Norenberg but trickled just right of the goal as the horn sounded, signaling double overtime.
A mere 1:33 into the second overtime, however, Pawlik took a pass from Niewoit on the left side of the penalty box and lofted a shot into the far back corner of the goal over an outstretched Norenberg to give Purdue the 4-3 victory.
“This is three games in a row where we’ve given the lead away late in the game and gone on to lose the game and that is just unacceptable,” Kramig said. “Clearly our focus this week is going to be on our back four and defending, but we’re playing good soccer and making progress. I have full confidence in this team and great belief that they will be very good in the MAC this year. We’re learning some tough lessons, which is okay. Some lessons are hard, but we’ve got tough, resilient kids and they’ll be fine.”
Despite the loss, Miami outshot the Boilermakers for the match, 17-12, including 8-5 in the second half. Both teams put seven shots on goal, but Kridler made four second-half saves in relief to keep Purdue alive, while Norenberg finished with a trio of saves. The ‘Hawks also finished with a 5-3 edge in corner kicks on the day.
“Our defense was considerably better today and really our entire effort was better today than it was the other day (against Milwaukee),” Kramig noted. “I do think that while this is very trying and very difficult, it is helping us get better.”
Prior to the match, the RedHawks honored their nine seniors for Senior Day, as team managers Dani Fraelick and Chelsea Hupp, student assistant coach Madison Ryan, and players Sydney Busch, Ariana Kulinczenko, Sam Parrish, Norenberg, Zakrzewski and Dolesh were recognized.
Miami looks to snap its three-game losing skid next Sunday, Sept. 22 when the RedHawks conclude non-conference play at former Mid-American Conference rival Marshall. Kickoff is set for noon in Huntington, W. Va.

Ball State 1, Air Force 0

COLORADO SPRINGS -- Ball State and Air Force went scoreless into the last possible minute of Sunday’s soccer game before Nicole Pembleton’s goal ended a wild day and gave the Cardinals a 1-0, double-overtime road victory.
Ball State ended its weekend in Colorado with a split of two games, moving its record to 5-2-0 on the season. Air Force dropped to 1-5-1 with the loss.
Sunday’s game started outside at Cadet Soccer Stadium but was moved because of lightning during the first half to the Holaday Athletic Center, an all-purpose indoor facility.
Layne Schramm played every second in goal for the Cardinals to post her second consecutive shutout and the team’s fourth of the season. She finished with a career-high 11 saves.
“We had some early chances that we weren’t able to put away, but we continued to fight,” Ball State coach Craig Roberts said. “Layne got the shutout and we played very well defensively. We dug deep to pull out the win, and it was a good way to end the trip.”
Schramm’s counterpart, Air Force keeper Kelly Stambaugh, also stopped every shot she faced until the final play of the day.
But with the game looking like it was heading for a scoreless draw, Ball State’s Elaina Musleh lofted a pass from the midfield to Nicole Pembleton into the top corner of the box. Pembleton chipped a shot over Stambaugh, and it glanced just off the keeper’s fingertips before rolling into the net with 22 seconds showing on the clock.
It was the first goal of the season for Pembleton, who led the Cardinals with four scores a year ago. Pembleton and Cailey Starck each registered three shots on goal for the game, while Maimee Morris led the team with four.
“Air Force is a very physical, strong team, but we battled really hard all the way,” Roberts said. “On the road, we were at a disadvantage in terms of dealing with the altitude and having to go to an indoor facility we had never seen before. But I was really pleased with the way the girls acclimated. They never made any excuses; they just got the job done.”
Ball State will continue its string of five consecutive road contests when it travels Friday to IUPUI for its only game of the week. That contest is slated for a 7 p.m. start in Indianapolis.

Eastern Michigan 2, Michigan State 3

YPSILANTI, Mich. ( – Returning to the friendly confines of Scicluna Field following four straight matches on the road, penalty kicks doomed the Eastern Michigan University soccer team as it fell, 3-2, to Michigan State University Sunday afternoon, Sept. 15.
Trailing, 2-0, with less than twenty minutes to play, the Eagles (1-4-1) roared all the way back to tie the contest at two goals apiece. However, a foul in the box with just 2:40 remaining set up a penalty kick for the Spartans (6-0-2), and they capitalized to take the lead for good, holding on for a 3-2 victory.
Bianca Rossi (Mississauga, Ontario-St. Marcellinus) found the net for the second time this season, while teammate Stephanie Clarke (London, Ontario -St. Thomas Aquinas) scored her first goal of 2013 on a penalty kick. The Eagles outshot the Spartans, 22-16, firing 10 shots on goal. Michigan State attempted seven shots on goal, with EMU sophomore goalkeeper Megan McCabe (Arlington Heights, Ill.- Prospect) (1-4-1) making four saves.
The Spartans were led by Mary-Kat Fiebernitz's two successful penalty kicks. Michelle Dear also added a goal off of the bench, her first goal of the season for MSU. Goalkeeper Gabrielle Garuder (3-0-0) picked up the win between the posts for the Spartans, stopping eight shots throughout the afternoon.
Both teams were patient early in the first half, waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. Michigan State took seven shots compared to two for EMU, but the Eagles would rally off nine straight shots to control ball possession. Clarke sent a pair of shots towards Garuder, but the MSU goalie made both stops, and the teams remained scoreless through the first 43 minutes.
As the first half was winding down, MSU put a mark on the scoreboard to take a 1-0 lead. Teammates Allyson Krause and Kaylee Phillips found Dear in the left side of the box. The freshman forward snuck the ball past the left on McCabe to give her team the one goal advantage at the half.
The lone goal was the only shot sent on goal by the Spartans in the match's first 45 minutes. Meanwhile, EMU sent four shots at the net, but they were all stopped by Garuder.
Things got interesting in the final 45 minutes of play. In the 70th minute, a foul in the box set up a penalty kick for MSU. Fiebernitz stepped up to take the kick, sending it past McCabe to put the Spartans up, 2-0.
While a two-goal deficit would be hard to overcome with less than 20 minutes remaining in the contest, Eastern's veteran squad did not give up. Four minutes after the penalty kick, Marisa Kozikowski (Troy, Mich.-Athens) sent a nice pass into the box to Rossi. The junior forward sent a strike across the box and into the left corner of the net, cutting the MSU lead in half, 2-1, and giving the Eagles life.
Nearly five minutes later, a hand-ball in the box would give EMU a penalty kick of its own. Showing her leadership ability and calmness under intense pressure, the senior Clarke snuck her shot past a diving Garuder, tying the game up, 2-2, with just 11:32 to play.
After seeing their lead slip away, the Spartans took control of ball possession.  Battling in the box, a trip by the Eagles gave another penalty kick to the opposition. Once again, Fiebernitz stepped up to take the kick with just 2:40 remaining in the contest. McCabe dived to her right, but the MSU defender kicked the shot in the opposite direction, giving the lead back to Spartans for good.
The Eagles remained aggressive to try and knot the game up. Almost immediately after the penalty kick goal, Angela Vultaggio (Chesterfield, Mich. -L'Anse Creuse North) blasted a strike just outside of the box, but the ball nailed the post and ricocheted out-of-play. 
EMU remains at home for a pair of matches next week. The Green and White welcome Stetson to town, Sept. 20, before taking on Indiana State University, Sept. 22.  The match with Stetson is scheduled for a Friday 5 p.m. kick while the Eagles will start play against Indiana State Sunday at 1 p.m.

Northern Illinois 1, Western Illinois 1

DeKALB, Ill. - Northern Illinois's women's soccer team took on the Western Illinois Leathernecks on Sunday. Both teams came to play, resulting in two overtime periods. By the end of the 110 game minutes, a winner could not be decided, so the game ended in a 1-1 draw.
"We gave a great effort out there today," said Head Coach John Ross. "Both teams played very hard. I would have liked to win, but with that effort, I'll take the result we got."
The game figured to be an exciting one from the start. During the 11th minute, NIU had a good scoring opportunity in front of WIU's net. The ball was juggled up into the air for a few seconds, but a Leatherneck defender was able to clear it out of the group of players and keep the game scoreless.
On the other end, the Leathernecks found themselves in a very similar situation just 10 minutes later. The ball was high in the air when Amy Carr (Hemel Hempstead, England/Townsend Church of England) went to go snatch it to give possession to NIU. However, the ball slipped through Carr's hands, giving WIU a window to score. That didn't happen though, as Huskie defenders were able to knock the ball out of bounds and end the scoring threat.
The game could not remain scoreless forever due these kinds of threats. During the 35th minute, WIU's Kristin Becker took a rebound off of Carr's hands and punched in an easy goal to give her team a 1-0 lead at the time. This lead stood for the remainder of the first half.
With so many scoring opportunities, NIU was bound to get one through sooner or later. In the 61st minute, the Huskies were finally able to make one count. Cori Frankenberg (Appleton, Wis./Appleton East) saw an opening from roughly 35 yards out from the goal. She rocketed the ball through the defense and past the opposing goaltender to tie the score at 1-1. 
From that point on, both teams played a very physical game. The teams combined for nine fouls in the second half. They also combined for three yellow cards in the final 45 minutes of regulation play. Despite the physical play, neither team could get another score, and so they went into sudden-victory overtime.
Overtime play featured more scoring opportunities on both sides, but both defenses were able to come up big in those spots. Whether it was a goaltender making a nice save or a defender forcing an errant shot, neither team could break through for the winning shot. As such, the game ended in a 1-1 tie.
With the draw, the Huskies now sit at 2-4-1 on the season. The Huskies out-shot the opposing Leathernecks 16-6. Of those 16 shots, nine were headed for the goal. Both teams were charged with two yellow cards during the game, including those given to Courtney Ksiazek (Naperville, Ill./Neuqua Valley) and Margaret Rivera (Lake in the Hills, Ill./Harry D. Jacobs).
NIU next plays on Friday, September 20 at 7 p.m. The Huskies will face Loyola Chicago in Chicago for their eighth match of the year. It will be the only game of the weekend for the team.