Sunday's Men's Soccer Results

Updated 9/1/2013


Courtesy of MAC Athletic Communication Departments
Akron 1, Furman 0
Buffalo 1, Vermont 1
Ohio St. 2, Northern Illinois 0
Michigan St. 4, Western Michigan 0
MT. PLEASANT, S.C. – The No. 8 University of Akron men's soccer team used a second-half goal from Reinaldo Brenes to defeat Furman, 1-0, Sunday at Patriots Point and win the Nike/Aaron Olitsky Memorial Classic Tournament, hosted by the College of Charleston.
Brenes' decisive strike came in the 58th minute when Ismail Seremba, who had just enterted the match, collected an Akron corner kick and slipped the ball to Brenes with space in front of the net. The Hermann Trophy candidate and UA's leading goal scorer from 2012, turned and buried it from 12 yards out for his first goal of the fall.
For their performances this weekend, Brenes, Bryan Gallego, Aodhan Quinn and Eric Stevenson were named to the All-Tournament team. After directing the Zips to a pair of shutouts to start the season, Gallego was also named Tournament MVP.
The Zips came out flying early and nearly found the net in the match's first minute when Stevenson chipped a ball to Brenes, who got behind the Furman back line. Brenes couldn't hit it cleanly however as his shot went wide of the right post.
Stevenson found Brenes again in the 12th minute, earning Akron a free kick after a Paladin defender fouled Hermann Trophy candidate just outside of the penalty area. Quinn took it directly from straight on but the keeper was there to scoop it up.
In all, it was a dominant first 45 minutes for Akron, which played the large majority of the half in the final third of the field. Nonetheless, the teams went into the break locked in a scoreless tie.
The Zips will head to the St. John's Tournament next weekend where they will face the host Red Storm Friday at 8 p.m. ET and Rutgers Sunday at 1 p.m. ET. Akron will play SJU in Queens, N.Y., then jump across the boarder to play the Scarlet Knights in New Brunswick, N.J.
BUFFALO, NY - The 2013 home season opened for the men's soccer team Sunday afternoon, and it was another positive step forward. After allowing a tying goal late in the game to the visiting Vermont Catamounts (1-0-1), the Bulls (0-1-1) held tough to draw even with a 1-1 double-overtime tie. Nicolai Berry scored his first career goal early in the first half in front of a raucous crowd, and a physical tone was on display for all 110 minutes.
"We were playing an experience team and we need to learn how to protect a lead," head coach Stu Riddle said. "This was a typical college soccer game, and when you don't give as much as your opponent you're going to end up on the losing side. Both sides gave everything they had today, and I'm really proud of the lads."
As heavy rain began to fall on UB Stadium early in the first half, Austin Place took the ball into Vermont's attacking third and forced a miscommunication between the opposing goalie and central defender. Berry took advantage and stepped in, taking the ball and tucking it away on an open goal to start the game's scoring in the 15th minute of play.
The Bulls had several prime chances to expand the lead, especially in the 48th minute with two point-blank chances from Russell Cicerone and Kristian Lee-Him. Braden Scales almost sealed the game in overtime for UB, but his high testing shot caromed off the top post and was cleared.
The game was played at a blistering pace, with UB holding a 20-16 advantage in shots and a vast 9-2 advantage in corner kicks. Added to the offensive chances was the physical tone that would lead to 38 total fouls, 24 called against the Bulls.
"I thought we had some guys who froze on Friday," Riddle added, "so we were debating if we should start some older players today, but at the end of the day this is a building process so they can learn from it and be better on down the road."
Berry led all players with five shots, two on frame. Cicerone added four shots (two on goal) and Lee-Him had three. Waleed Cassis made three saves for Buffalo.
The team will go back out on the road for a pair of games, starting at Bucknell on Friday with a 7 pm match against the Bison. Following that, the team will play the Siena Saints for a 1 pm Sunday match.
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Despite having more possession, hitting both the post and the crossbar and earning a pair of penalty kicks, the Northern Illinois men’s soccer team was upended, 2-0, by Ohio State on Sunday afternoon at the Bert and Iris Wolstein Classic. 
Ohio State (1-1-0) scored in the 31st minute on a goal by Alex Harrison and in the 73rd on a tally by Ryan Ivancic. The Huskies outshot the tournament host Buckeyes, 18-8, but were unable to find a way past Alex Ivanov in goal for OSU.
“Today was the opposite of Friday,” said NIU head coach Eric Luzzi. “On Friday we were pleased with the result but not overly pleased with the performance. Today we have a lot to be pleased about in the performance but it was a very disappointing result. Credit Ohio State, they were efficient, they finished two of the few chances they created. 
“We hit the post, we hit the crossbar and we missed two penalty kicks. We did everything we needed to do in the game and we can’t be too disappointed in anything other than ourselves. There are a lot of positives in the performance and we just have to get back to work on Tuesday.”
The first real chance of the contest came in the 14th minute as junior Isaac Kannah (Plymouth, Minn./Prairie Seeds Academy) did well to work himself down the wing before cutting in toward goal and firing a shot just high over the crossbar. 
Northern Illinois (1-1-0) had another chance in the 21st minute as junior Sanel Hasanovic (St. Louis, Mo./Bayless/Jefferson College) collected the ball just outside the top of the box and was allowed to turn toward goal. On the turn Hasanovic whistled a shot that had Ivanov beat but went just wide of the post.
Ohio State took the lead against the run of play through Harrison in the 31st minute. After the Buckeyes won a free kick just outside the box wide of goal, Alex Gardner whipped in a good ball toward the six-yard box, Harrison rose highest and headed it home to give the hosts a 1-0 lead. 
Despite outshooting the Buckeyes, 7-3, in the opening 45 minutes, the Huskies went into the halftime break trailing by a goal. 
NIU had a chance to even the score in the 63rd minute as the Huskies drew a penalty kick. Sophomore Kyle Crichton (Ajax, Ontario, Canada/Pickering) played the ball to sophomore Bertrand Gaschot (Austin, Texas/Westwood) who was taken down and the referee pointed to the penalty spot. On the spot kick, Ivanov got down low to make the save and the Buckeye defense cleared any potential rebound opportunity. 
The Huskies had another excellent chance in the 72nd minute as senior James Stevenson (Falkirk, Scotland/St. Mungo’s) fired a shot from just inside the 18-yard box that Ivanov could only push back into play. 
Just a minute later the Buckeyes hit the Huskies on the counter to double the advantage. Ohio State found space down the left side and Alex Bujenovic found Ivancic at the back post for a goal to give OSU a 2-0 lead with just 17 minutes remaining. 
Continuing to push forward, NIU had another another excellent opportunity in the 82nd minute as junior Andrew Palumbo (Ft. Myers, Fla./Bishop Verot/Darton College) hit the post. In the ensuing scramble Kannah was taken down, leading to another penalty, but Ivanov was again up to the challenge, making the save and allowing no rebound. 
Junior Paul Hogan (Downers Grove, Ill./North) hit the crossbar in the 89th minute but, as had been the case all afternoon, the Huskies just could not find the back of the net despite finishing the match with an 18-8 edge in shots.
Gaschot and sophomore goalkeeper Andrew Glaeser (Walla Walla, Wash./Walla Walla/Oregon State) were named to the Wolstein Classic All-Tournament Team. 
Northern Illinois will return to the State of Ohio next weekend as the Huskies travel to Cincinnati to take part in the Cincinnati Bearcat Classic. NIU will face Evansville on Friday, Sept. 6, and 15th-ranked Saint Louis on Sunday, Sept. 8. 
EAST LANSING, Mich.- Michigan State netted two goals in each period, defeating the Western Michigan men’s soccer team 4-0 Sunday in the Spartans’ season-opener. The Broncos fall to 0-2-0 with the loss.
"Michigan State was the better team today without question, and we didn't help ourselves with some of the mistakes we made," said WMU head coach Chad Wiseman. "We are playing with a lot of young players and they are gaining valuable experience."
Adam Montague started the scoring for Michigan State in the 6th minute, finishing a cross that was deflected by WMU keeper Chase Rau low right. Kevin Cope made it 2-0 in MSU’s favor in the 42nd minute, burying a loose ball in front of the net. Dewey Lewis added a goal in the 50th minute and Sean Conerty struck for MSU’s fourth goal in the 68th minute.
Western Michigan managed just five shots against its Big Ten opponent. Freshman Matheau Rogers led the Broncos with two. Michigan State totaled 16 shots, including six by Montague. 
Rau made three saves in goal for WMU and Zach Bennett recorded the shutout for MSU.
Western Michigan continues its six-game road trip at Wisconsin on Friday, Sept. 6. The Broncos also have games at UIC, Northern Kentucky and Eastern Illinois before playing their home-opener Sept. 20 against Canisius.