MAC Football Saturday Scoreboard

Updated 8/31/2013

MAC Football Scoreboard:  Saturday, August 31

Ohio State 40, Buffalo 20  Final

UMass at Wisconsin 45, UMass 0  Final

Florida 24, Toledo 6  Final

Michigan 59, Central Michigan 9  Final

Northern Illinois 30, Iowa 27  Final

Eastern Michigan 34, Howard 24  Final

Marshall 52, Miami 14  Final

Stories courtesy of MAC Athletic Communications Staffs
#2 Ohio State 40, Buffalo 20     
COLUMBUS, OH – Playing in front of 103,980 fans at the famed Horseshoe, the University at Buffalo football team put more than a scare in the second-ranked Ohio State Buckeyes, losing 40-20, on Saturday afternoon. After falling behind, 23-0 in the first quarter, the Bulls outscored the Buckeyes, 20-17, the rest of the way.
Playing on ESPN2, the nation got their first look at the 2013 version of Khalil Mack and the senior linebacker didn't disappoint. Mack finished with nine tackles, 2.5 sacks and returned an interception 45 yards for a touchdown. He led a UB defense that had nine tackles for loss and four sacks on the afternoon.
Joe Licata looked comfortable under center for the Bulls. The sophomore quarterback finished 19-for-32 for 185 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Licata found Matt Weiser on a crossing pattern from 16 yards out for the Bulls first score to make the score 23-7. It was the sophomore tight ends first career touchdown.
On the ensuing possession, Mack took matters into his own hands as the standout linebacker intercepted the Braxton Miller pass and raced 45 yards to the endzone for his first career touchdown. The two-point conversion failed and the Bulls trailed 23-13 with 7:10 left in the half.
Ohio State responded with a touchdown and took a 30-13 lead into the locker room at halftime.
After forcing an Ohio State three-and-out on its first possession of the second half, UB methodically marched the ball 62 yards on seven plays and Licata hooked up with Alex Neutz on a 10 yard touchdown pass to cut the lead to 30-20 with 10:21 left in the third quarter. Neutz finished with nine catches for 98 yards and a touchdown in the game.
On the Buckeyes' next possession, the Bulls defense was on the attack again. Mack and the defense swarmed Miller and forced him to fumble. The Bulls recovered on the Ohio State one-yard line, but an illegal hands to the face penalty on UB negated the play. Ohio State responded by driving 91 yards for a touchdown. The Buckeyes added a field goal with 7:05 left to make the final margin 40-20.
"I give credit to Ohio State. They came out and put us down 23-0," head coach Jeff Quinn said.  "What I was pleased with was the way our kids responded once they settled down. They were able to outscore them in the second, third and fourth quarter. I was really proud of the way our kids came out. They are a very gritty bunch. We talked about being a complete and finishing football team and they handled the conditions extremely well."
Ohio State did a good job containing UB's run game as Branden Oliver was held to 73 yards on 26 carries. Ohio State running back Jordan Hall 159 yards rushing, including a pair of long touchdown runs.
Redshirt freshman tight end and Medina, OH native Mason Schreck,playing in his first career game, had four catches for 22 yards. Weiser and Devin Campbell, also an Ohio native, had a pair of catches each.
Defensively, Blake Bean had eight tackles and a forced fumble.  Derek Brim had seven solo stops and Colby Way finished with seven tackles, including a pair of tackles for loss.
Buffalo will next play at Baylor next Saturday.
Wisconsin 45, UMass 0   
MADISON, Wis. - The No. 23 Wisconsin Badgers used a powerful run game and cracked several big plays of 40 or more yards to defeat the University of Massachusetts, 45-0 on Saturday afternoon at Camp Randall Stadium.  UMass (0-1) will host longtime FCS rival Maine next Saturday afternoon at Gillette Stadium for the Minutemen's home opener. Kick-off is set for 2:00 PM and the game will be televised on
In his first start for UMass, running back Stacey Bedell tallies 70 yards on 19 carries while Lorenzo Woodley added 22 yards in seven attempts. Quarterback Mike Wegzyn finished 9-for-23 with 73 yards and one interception. A.J. Doyle went 5-for-7 for 39 yards as the signal caller in relief of Wegzyn.
Derek Beck had a game-high and single-game personal-best six catches go for 37 yards. Ricardo Miller added 22 yards on a pair of grabs while Brandon Howard hauled in two passes for 21 yards.
On defense, Devin Brown led the Minutemen with a career-high nine tackles and an interception. Stanley Andre registered seven takedowns while Randall Jette added six stops, including five solo tackles. 
Melvin Gordon led the Wisconsin ground attack with 144 yards and a touchdown on 13 carries while James White finished with 143 yards and a TD on 11 touches. Jared Abbrederis added 122 receiving yards and a pair of touchdowns while quarterback Joel Stave ended the day 9-for-17 with 197 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.
The Badgers (1-0) jumped out to a 7-0 lead on their opening drive of the game. The score was set-up by a 47 yard run by White, which put Wisconsin at the UMass 17 yard line. An 11-yard pass off play action by Stave to White placed the ball at the four yard line. Stave dropped back on the next play to pass again, but ended up running for the game's opening score just 2:31 into the quarter.
UMass fumbled on the third play of the next possession, but Brown picked off Stave on the first play of Wisconsin's drive to give the Minutemen back the ball.
Wisconsin added a field goal after UMass managed to hold strong on the goal line putting the Badgers up 10-0 with 17 seconds left in the quarter.
In the second quarter, the Minutemen had their best scoring opportunity as a 10-play, 49 yard drive set up a 47 yard field goal by Blake Lucas. He initially hit the attempt, but time out was called just before the snap, forcing a re-kick. The second attempt just missed - giving the ball back to Wisconsin.
That proved a tough break as Wisconsin broke a 70-yard run by Gordon to go up 17-0 with 3:33 left in the first half.
UMass received the ball to start the second half, but were forced to punt. Following a timeout on the change of possession, Stave sent a 65-yard bomb to Abbrederis giving the Badgers a 24-0 lead.
Wisconsin added another big play with a 51-yard run for a touchdown with 10:31 left in the third quarter. White broke loose and rushed down the right sideline for the score. For White, it marked his second run of the day over 30 or more yards.
The Badgers tacked on two more scores in the third quarter and a touchdown in the fourth quarter to reach the final score.
#10 Florida 24, Toledo 6  
Boxscore     Postgame Notes
Gainesville, FL – The Rockets battled the Gators and the heat, but came up short, losing to No. 10 Florida, 24-6, at The Swamp in Gainesville, FL on Saturday.
Florida looked every bit a top 10 team, outgaining the Rockets in total offense, 415-205. The Gators scored on their first possession, held a 17-3 halftime lead, and kept the Rocket offense at bay in the second half.
Toledo was led by senior running back David Fluellen, who rushed for 46 yards and gained 42 more on three receptions. Overall, Florida made it tough for the Rockets’ potent passing attack, holding senior quarterback Terrance Owens to 17-of-38 passing for 155 yards.
Florida was led by junior running back Mack Brown, who rushed for a career-high 112 yards. Junior quarterback Jeff Driskel, who completed his first 10-of-11 passes, was 17-of-22 for 153 yards.
The game was played in the high 80’s throughout, with humidity readings that made feel closer to 100 degrees. Nevertheless, the Rockets hung tough in the first half. Florida scored on its first possession, an 11-play, 84-yard drive that ended with a one-yard TD run by Brown. Florida extended the lead to 10-0 on a 24-yard field goal with 12:59 left in the first half.
Toledo got on the board thanks to a big play by junior cornerback Cheatham Norrils, who stripped Driskel and recovered the fumble on the Toledo 44-yard line. That set up a 44-yard field goal by Jeremiah Detmer five  plays later to make the score 10-3.
Florida answered with a 14-yard TD run by Brown, capping a 10-play, 83-yard drive that made the score 17-3 with 3:20 to play in the half.
Toledo struck first on the second half, converting a 63-yard drive into a 23-yard field goal by Detmer to cut the lead to 17-6 with 10:03 left in the third quarter. Florida extended the lead to 24-6 on a four-yard TD pass from Driskel to Gideon Ajagbe. The score was set up by an interception by Vernon Hargreaves.
The Rockets will travel to Columbia, MO next week to face Missouri, their second straight SEC opponent.
#17 Michigan 59, Central Michigan 9    
Boxscore    Postgame Notes
Ann Arbor, Mich. – For the first time in three seasons, the Central Michigan football team dropped its season opener, falling to No. 17 Michigan on Saturday afternoon at Michigan Stadium, 59-9.
Redshirt junior Cody Kater made his first career start at quarterback for the Chippewas and connected with Courtney Williams for a 17-yard completion on his first attempt of the season but left the game later in the first quarter and did not return. 
After the Chippewas’ opening drive stalled, the Wolverines blocked the ensuing punt attempt and returned it 30 yards for a touchdown and a 7-0 lead. 
The Chippewas had their first scoring opportunity of the contest after junior Jarret Chapman intercepted a Devin Gardner pass attempt at the Michigan six-yard line. Redshirt sophomore Alex Niznak entered at quarterback but was unable to get the Chippewas in the end zone and CMU settled for a 23-yard field goal by redshirt freshman kicker Ron Coluzzi. 
The field goal was the first of three for Coluzzi in the contest. CMU was unable to find the end zone in the game, as Zurlon Tipton, who accounted for 20 scores in 2012, left the game late in the first quarter and did not return. 
After the Wolverines went up 21-3 on a Fitzgerald Toussaint touchdown run with 14:56 in the second quarter, the Chippewas put together four first downs and moved the ball to the Michigan 33-yard line. The drive stalled and CMU was forced to punt. 
CMU quickly got the ball back on the Wolverines’ first play of their next drive as junior cornerback Jason Wilson intercepted Gardner and returned it to the Michigan 29. The interception set up Coluzzi’s second field goal of the game to pull CMU within 21-6.
Gardner hit Jeremy Gallon for a 16-yard touchdown on the Wolverines’ next possession and later scampered in from four-yards out to give the Maize and Blue a 35-6 halftime lead. 
The Wolverines’ defense continued to halt the Chippewas’ offense in the third quarter, allowing U-M to put the game out of reach. 
Coluzzi capped the Chippewas’ scoring with a 33-yard field goal with 11:49 remaining in the contest. 
Sophomore running back Saylor Lavallii averaged 5.2 yards per carry in the contest, finishing with 52 yards on 10 rushes to lead the Chippewas’ offense. Niznak went 11-for-22 with 131 yards and an interception in his first career appearance. 
“I’ll be ready to go next week against New Hampshire,” Niznak said. “This was a great opportunity for me to get my feet wet in college football. I couldn’t ask for a better opportunity to play University of Michigan. Coach Hoke and his program is obviously a national powerhouse and when you grow up in the state of Michigan you understand that, so I give them a lot of a respect but, at the same time, I wouldn’t trade the five offensive lineman that carried me this whole game or any of our receivers for anyone on the other side of the ball.”
Sophomore Andrew Flory had four receptions for 79 yards to the CMU receivers. 
Senior safety Avery Cunningham and Wilson led CMU with eight tackles each while sophomore Kavon Frazier finished the afternoon with seven tackles and an interception. 
The Chippewas will host New Hampshire next Saturday in their home opener at 3 p.m. in Kelly/Shorts Stadium. 
Northern Illinois 30, Iowa 27   
Boxscore     Postgame Notes
Iowa City, Iowa - Northern Illinois kicker Mathew Sims made a 36-yard field goal with four seconds on the clock to give the Huskies a 30-27 season-opening win over the Iowa Hawkeyes at Kinnick Stadium Saturday.
The kick gave NIU its first win over the Hawkeyes in nine tries, and it came in comeback fashion as Northern Illinois trailed throughout much of the second half, and faced a 27-20 deficit to start the fourth quarter.
NIU Head Coach Rod Carey, who earned his first career win, said it took all three phases of the game to get the victory.
"It was a total team win and that's what we preach," he said. "I give our guys and our coaching staff credit on this. Our guys just believe. They have a belief that if it gets in that situation we are going to make the plays and we did today. That belief saw us through some tough times."
Sims' field goal, the third game-winner of his career, came after senior safety Jimmie Ward intercepted Iowa quarterback Jake Rudock on the 50-yard line with 1:24 to play and the game tied 27-27. Ward, who was playing with a cast on his left hand, returned the ball to the 30-yard line. From there, a pair of runs by Cameron Stingily took the ball to the 19 and after a timeout, Sims was true on his third field goal of the game.
"Jimmie Ward, I'm so proud of him. He made that play with a cast on one hand. That was a great play," Carey said. "Our defense...what a great performance by them. They just bent, bent, bent but they never broke. They never gave up on each other. "
The NIU defense gave up just 156 yards in the second half and held Iowa to one 44-yard field goal. That field goal by Mike Meyer, gave Iowa a 27-20 lead with 6:42 to play.
However, NIU quarterback Jordan Lynch, who had been bottled up on the ground by the Iowa defense all day, went to the air. He engineered a six-play, 75-yard drive that took just 1:37, hitting Angelo Sebastiano for 27 yards to start the drive. After a six-yard toss to Jacob Brinlee and two passes to Da'Ron Brown to the Iowa 33-yard line, Lynch found Brown in the corner of the end zone for Lynch's third touchdown pass of the day. With 5:05 to play, the game was tied 27-27.
Brown caught five passes for 92 yards to lead NIU, while Sebastiano added five catches for 69 yards and Tommylee Lewis had five grabs for 82 yards. All of the Huskie touchdowns were scored by wide receivers.
Iowa got the ball back and advanced to the Huskie 48-yard line but was forced to punt and after NIU went three and out from its 18-yard line and punted, Ward's heroics on Iowa's first play gave the Huskies another chance.
"Offensively, Iowa was getting after us and we had to find some ways to make some plays another way and we did," Carey said. "They had Jordan bottled up most of the game, and he came through with the big throws in the fourth quarter. Iowa is a good football team; we made the plays at the end of the game. We knew going in we were going to have to find a way to make plays and we did. This is a good win over a good Big Ten opponent."
Northern Illinois scored the first 10 points of the game as Sims opened the scoring with a 47-yard field goal at the 7:33 mark in the first quarter, and Lynch then hit Tommylee Lewis with the first of his two touchdown passes on the day. The Riviera Beach, Fla. speedster ran past the defender and was wide open for a 40-yard score.
Iowa came back with a defensive touchdown as Christian Kirksey picked up a Huskie fumble and brought it back 52 yards for their first score of the season. At the end of the first quarter, Northern Illinois led 10-7.
Iowa put 17 points on the board in the second quarter, beginning with a 28-yard field goal by Meyer that tied the game. After NIU was forced to punt, the Hawkeyes used a 53-yard pass on a flea-flicker from Rudock to Jordan Cotton to the NIU 12. From there, Rudock hit tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz from 11 yards out for Iowa's first lead of the game, 17-10.
The Huskies tied it at on their next drive when Lynch hit Lewis from 21 yards out, but Iowa responded again and went into halftime with a 24-17 lead.
The teams traded punts most of the second half with the only scoring a 25-yard field goal by Sims that was set up by a 42-yard run by NIU's Tyler Wedel on a fake punt.
Northern Illinois is open next week before traveling to Idaho for a Sept. 14 match-up with the Vandals.
Eastern Michigan 34, Howard 24    
YPSILANTI, Mich. -- Eastern Michigan University kicked off its 122nd season on the gridiron Saturday, Aug. 31 at Rynearson Stadium against the Howard University Bison.  The effort proved to be a successful one as the Eagles took down the Bison 34-24 after an aggressive home opener.
The first quarter played out quickly with just two possession changes in the first 15 minutes. EMU's early offensive efforts were quickly slowed by running into the stone line of the Bison defense before redshirt-junior quarterback Tyler Benz (Park Ridge, Ill. / Maine Township South) was able to help the Eagles break through into Howard territory at the 12:30 mark.  Eastern's offense suffered a setback at 11:17, when a long pass from Benz was intercepted by Howard's Amedola Olantuji at the Howard 12-yard line.  
EMU's defense answered back with forceful aggression to defend their territory as a sack by junior defensive lineman Cy Maughmer (Glendale, Ariz. / Glendale C.C.) on a Howard third down forced a punt by the Bison to return the ball to the Eagles.  
The Eagles were able to complete 12 plays and gain 55 yards within the remaining 6:04 of the first quarter, but as the time expired the matchup remained scoreless.
The Green and White came out in full force with the start of the second quarter, as a three-yard rush was followed up by an 18-yard throw into the end zone to junior tight end Tyreese Russell (Chicago, Ill. / Walther Lutheran) at 14:17 plus an extra point thanks to sophomore kicker Dylan Mulder (Saline, Mich. / Saline) gave the Eagles the 7-0 lead over the Bison.
Where the Howard offense could not seem to make a play happen, their defense proved to be reliable, as their defenders were able to shed the EMU blockers and force another possession change at 10:43.  
After what should have been a challenging start on the Howard five-yard line, the Bison offense jumped into gear with a 16-yard pass straight down the middle and a touchdown at 8:34 thanks to a 65-yard sprint by Howard's William Parker.  The Bison were able to gain 95 yards within six plays and knot the score at 7-7.
A short punt from John Fleck gave the Bison an advantage as they started their possession within Eagle territory.  Sophomore defensive lineman Pat O'Connor (Chicago, Ill. / St. Rita) was able to lead the defense with two consecutive tackles to take the Bison to a third down.  An incomplete attempted touchdown pass by Greg McGhee brought Fleck out onto the field, which produced a 43-yard field goal to push Howard to a 10-7 lead with 3:17 left in the half.  
With 2:55 remaining and the opposition in the lead, the Eagles started off their final possession of the half with a solid 25-yard return from Allen.  Benz completed a series of 10-yard plays, moving the ball from sideline to sideline.  With 31 seconds left in the half Benz connected with Demarius Reed (Chicago, Ill. / Simeon Academy) on a 33-yard touchdown play to give the Eagles a 13-10 lead heading into the locker room.
Howard came out strong in the second half, showing that they were not content with relinquishing their lead as McGhee moved the ball up the field smoothly with five-yard gains before throwing to Jonathan Booker. A 32-yard sideline run from Booker would give the Bison their second lead of the contest over EMU.
The Eagles were unable to create any opportunities with their next possession, gaining only 17 yards in five plays before having to give the ball back over to Howard.  
McGhee proved to be the sparkplug of the Howard offensive front as he sprinted toward the Eagle end zone at 6:22 before being stopped by junior defensive back Darius Scott (Chicago, Ill. / Simeon Academy) on the EMU two-yard line.  A series of attempts to run the ball in for a touchdown was seemingly the end of Bison's scoring opportunity, but a penalty on an incomplete fourth-down touchdown attempt gave Howard another chance to run the ball in.  McGhee was able to take advantage of the call to complete a 1-yard rush at 4:20 and extend the Bison lead.
Despite the 14-0 scoring run by the Bison, the Eagles' offense returned to the field with intensity and determination as the Eagles traveled 60 yards along the gridiron within four plays.  At 1:29, Eastern was able to quench their scoring drought thanks to junior running back Bronson Hill (Grand Rapids, Mich. / Catholic Central), who rushed the ball in two yards for the Eagles' third touchdown of the evening.  EMU began to close the scoring gap after a Mulder extra point, bringing Eastern within four of the Bison.
The fourth quarter began with the ball in the hands of the Howard offense, but less than 45 seconds into the final frame senior middle linebacker Sean Kurtz (Anaheim, Calif. / Canyon Santa Ana C.C.) nabbed his first career interception from Howard's McGhee and ran a 25-yard return.  Four plays after Kurz's electric play, Hill found himself in the end zone once more with 12:31 left to play, giving the Eagles a 27-24 lead over the Bison.
The EMU offense was unable to produce the success on their next possession despite a valiant effort, and the ball was once again returned to Howard's side.  Senior defensive end  Kalonji Kashama (Brampton, Ont. / Canada Brampton) produced a huge defensive play by taking down Anthony Philyaw at the Howard 21-yard line, and after only gaining one yard in three plays, the Eagles found themselves with a fantastic opportunity to add more to their growing scoring run.  
With 3:54 left in the game, sophomore running back Darius Jackson (Sparta, Ill. / Sparta) showcased his wheels with a 28-yard rush to take the line of scrimmage to the Howard 20-yard line.  Just 40 seconds later, Jackson found himself with the ball gripped tightly under his arm again, despite having Howard's Tabrian Resby latched on to his jersey, as he barreled through the field with to end his 19-yard rush with another Eagles touchdown.  
With the addition of the fourth completed extra point attempt of the evening, the Eagles found themselves with a 34-24 lead, a 21-0 scoring run in over fifteen minutes of play.  
Despite an aggressive effort by the Bison, the Eagles were too powerful of a force to be overcome.  As the clock ran down, the Bison gave one last effort to score but were intercepted in the end zone by Willie Creear (Seattle, Wash. / Lingbergh (Butte J.C.)).  The Eagles closed out the beginning of the 2013 campaign with a 34-24 victory over Howard as the EMU rushing effort was led by Hill, who ran 101 yards in 28 carries.  Hill also added two touchdowns, while Jackson added 64 yards and one touchdown.  Benz connected on 19 passes in 26 attempts for 210 yards and two touchdown passes.   
On the defensive side, Kurtz added 13 total tackles and one interception, while Maughmer and O'Conner each added a sack to the effort.
The Howard offense was led by McGhee, who totaled 75 yards and one touchdown.  Half back William Parker had 82 yards on seven carries and one touchback.  McGhee was 19-for- 32 with 182 yards and one touchdown pass.   
On the defensive front, Cameron Alston and Tabrian Resby led the Bison with 14 and 12 tackles, respectively.  
The Eagles improve to 1-0 on the 2013 season while Howard falls to 0-1.  Eastern Michigan football will be back in action Saturday, Sept. 7, at noon when they travel to Penn State.  
Marshall 52, Miami 14
Huntington, W.Va.—Miami University’s football team went toe-to-toe with Marshall University in the first 30 minutes on Saturday night at Joan C. Edwards Stadium, playing to a 14-14 tie, but the Thundering Herd scored 38 unanswered points in the second half to notch a 52-14 win in the season opener for both teams.
Miami struck first, scoring on its second offensive series. Senior quarterback Austin Boucher launched a 45-yard pass that junior wide receiver Dawan Scott plucked out of the air between two Thundering Herd defenders on the Marshall 5-yard line. After rushing for a yard, Miami lost yardage on its second-down play, but Boucher hit senior tight end Steve Marck in the end zone on third down for the RedHawk score with 6:49 to go in the first quarter. A sophomore Kaleb Patterson extra point handed Miami the early 7-0 lead.
A 39-yard rush by Marshall’s Kevin Groom set up a Thundering Herd score at the 10:04 mark of the second quarter. Essray Taliaferro rambled into the end zone from 1 yard out for the Marshall touchdown. The Justin Haig extra point knotted the score, 7-7.
With 3:44 to go in the opening half, Marshall’s Rakeem Cato threw a 4-yard touchdown pass to Tommy Shuler as he plunged out of the right side of the end zone. Haig’s extra point gave the Thundering Herd a 14-7 lead.
Sophomore running back Spencer Treadwell sprinted up the middle from two yards out for the RedHawks’ second score. Patterson’s PAT knotted the game, 14-14, with 1:25 to go in the opening half. Another superb pass from Boucher to redshirt freshman wide receiver Rokeem Williams covering 47 yards moved the RedHawks to the 11-yard line to help set up the Treadwell score. Miami covered 75 yards in five plays on the touchdown drive.
Marshall attempted a 31-yard field goal to close out the second half, but the kick was wide and the game remained deadlocked going into the half.
The Thundering Herd capitalized on the first drive of the second half, going 65 yards on eight plays over the first 1:43. The drive was capped by a 20-yard touchdown pass from Cato to Gator Hoskins at the 13:17 mark of the third quarter. Haig’s extra point put Marshall back on top, 21-14.
Behind a 16-yard touchdown reception by Craig Wilkins off the pass from Cato, Marshall took a two-touchdown lead in the game at the 9:23 mark of the third quarter. Haig connected on his fourth PAT to give the Thundering Herd a 28-14 lead.
Marshall extended its lead to 35-14 as Cato hit Hoskins on a 14-yard pass for their second touchdown connection of the game, both coming in the third quarter. Haig’s extra point at the 4:20 mark gave the Thundering Herd a 21-point cushion.
Haig kicked a 35-yard field goal with 13:57 to go to push the Marshall lead to 24, 38-14.
A 54-yard scoring strike from Cato to Devon Smith capped a six-play, 70-yard drive and extended the Marshall lead to 45-14 with 9:57 to play. Sixteen seconds later, Raheem Waiters picked off a Boucher pass and returned it 27 yards for a touchdown, furthering the Thundering Herd lead to 52-14 with 9:41 left. It was the final score of the game.
Boucher finished the game passing for 165 yards and one touchdown, connecting on 10-of-22 passes. Sophomore linebacker Kent Kern led all players with 13 tackles, while redshirt freshman defensive back Jay Mastin followed with 12 tackles, including a game-high eight solo stops. He also collected his first career interception. Senior punter Zac Murphy had a solid day, averaging 50.5 yards on nine punts.
Marshall amassed 591 yards of total offense in 94 plays. Cato led the Herd with 253 yards in the air, 59 yards on the ground and threw five touchdown passes. Steward Butler gained 107 yards rushing for Marshall.
Miami travels to Kentucky next Saturday for a noon game on Fox Sports Net.