Friday's Women's Soccer Results

Updated 8/30/2013

Friday's Women's Soccer Scoreboard 8/30
Akron 2, Morehead State 1
Buffalo 2, St. Bonaventure 1
Kent State 1, Cleveland State 0
Miami 5, Belmont 0
Toledo 1, Youngstown State 0
DePaul 3, Ohio 1
IPFW 1, Ball State 0
Michigan 2, Eastern Michigan 1
Purdue 4, Northern Illinois 1
West Virginia 4, Central Michigan 0


Akron 2, Morehead State 1

MOREHEAD, Ky. – An overtime goal by freshman Sarah Sivic pushed The University of Akron (2-1) women's soccer team to victory over Morehead State (0-2-1) on Friday evening by a score of 2-1.
"These are the games that test an individual's and a group's character, and we got tested tonight by a number of factors. I'm so proud of all of our players for not allowing those factors to affect us negatively," Head coach Vernon Croft said Friday.
For the first half, the game rested mainly within the defenses' hands, as Akron and Morehead registered four shots a piece through the first 45 minutes. However, Morehead State broke through the defensive struggle with a goal at 49:58 by Kimberly Fox to give the Eagles a 1-0 advantage early in the second half.
The contest would remain at the 1-0 score until the 84th minute, when Sivic connected for her first of two goals in the match. Sivic registered the goal with a shot in to the top right hand corner of the net. Senior Kelly DeNiro was credited with her second assist of the season on the match-tying goal.
With the match tied at the end of regulation time the game went in to overtime, where Sivic knocked in the game-winning goal in the 95th minute to give UA its second win of the season. Maggie Rusnak was credited with the assist on the game winning goal, her first of the season.
"There is no way we complete this game tonight without the true commitment to each other.  Proud of the players and staff tonight as we turn our focus towards a very good Marshall team on Sunday," Croft said following the win.
Overall, Akron out shot Morehead State eleven to six, with a shots on goal margin of three to two.
Sophomore goalkeeper Klaire Adee improved her season record to 2-1 following the victory. Tonight's overtime game was the first of the 2013 season, and the first since the regular season finale against Buffalo in 2012, which resulted in a 2-1 win for UA.
The Zips will head to Huntington, W. Va., for one more match this weekend at Marshall University at 1 p.m., on Sunday. UA holds 3-2-1 all-time series record against the Thundering Herd.

Buffalo 2, St. Bonaventure 1

OLEAN, NY – The Buffalo women's soccer team (1-1-0, 0-0-0 MAC) picked up their first win of the season on Friday afternoon at Big Four, St. Bonaventure (1-2-0, 0-0-0 A10). Despite a late goal by the Bonnies, Katie Roberts provided the game-winning goal for the Bulls in their 2-1 victory.
"I'm proud of our players for coming into a very difficult place to play and getting a win this afternoon," stated head coach Michael Thomas. "We will enjoy this win and get ready for our home opener on Sunday."
Roberts led the Bulls offensively with three shots and the game-winning goal while Sophie Therien picked up her first goal of the season on her only shot of the game. Ainsley Wheldon continued her solid play in the win, making three saves and allowing one goal. The Bonnies held the slim advantage in shots for the game, 14-12.
The game-winning goal for the Bulls was recorded in the 54th minute as Roberts beat the St. Bonaventure goalkeeper to give the Bulls the 2-0 advantage. Roberts was able to beat Christina Saroken for her 11th career goal and first of the season with a perfect shot.
The Bonnies controlled the play early on in the first half but Wheldon stood tall, making two saves. Following St. Bonaventure's fourth shot of the afternoon, Megan Giesen nearly gave the Bulls their first goal, but her hard shot caromed off the crossbar to keep the game scoreless.
A few minutes later, Therien provided the Bulls with their first goal of the season as she buried the ball behind Megan Junker, 27 minutes into play.
Following the Therien tally, the two teams went back and forth for the final 18 minutes of the half as Wheldon closed the half with a big save off the foot of Jordan Calabria with just under 30 seconds to play. Despite holding the 9-3 advantage in shots after the opening 45 minutes of play, the Bonnies trailed the Bulls 1-0.
The Bulls put a flurry of shots towards the Bonnies goal in the 50th minute but efforts by Karen McMahon and Roberts were denied by the defense.
The Bonnies were able to break through with their lone goal of the contest in the 85th minute of action as Lauren Hill beat Wheldon for her first goal of the season. Brittany Charles picked up the assist on the Bonnies tally.
The Bulls defense helped run out the final five minutes of the half to capture their first victory of the season.
Hill led the Bonnies offensively with her first tally of the season on her only shot of the afternoon. Caitlin MacConnell led the team with three shots while Megan Junker and Christina Sarokon each allowed a goal in 45 minutes of action.


IPFW 1, Ball State 0

FORT WAYNE, Ind. -- The Ball State soccer team suffered its first setback of the season Friday with a 1-0 loss to IPFW at the Hefner Soccer Complex.
Gaby Romo broke a scoreless tie with a goal for IPFW in the 75th minute and the Mastodons hung on to drop Ball State to 2-1 on the young season. IPFW is now also 2-1.
Ball State spent much of the game on the attack, firing 19 total shots to IPFW’s 10, but the Cardinals could not get one to find the net. They even put more than half of those shots on goal, but Mastodon keeper Sam Pavlika came up with 10 saves.
“I felt like we were very unfortunate not to convert any of our chances tonight,” Ball State coach Craig Roberts said. “The girls played well and we did a good job possessing the ball. There were a lot of good things to come out of this game, but it’s disappointing we weren’t able to take advantage of our chances.”
Ball State freshman forward Kelsey Wendlandt earned her first career start and fired three shots, two of them on goal, to match Maimee Morris for team highs in both categories.
The shutout was a different outcome for a Ball State team that had made good on its opportunities in its opening weekend with five goals over its first two games.
Senior goalkeeper Layne Schramm collected three saves Friday and combined with the Cardinals’ back line to keep IPFW off the scoreboard, as well, until late in the game. But the Mastodons broke through and drew a foul to set up the lone score on a set piece. At the 74:02 mark, Erin Gill took a free kick and found Romo, who scored the game changer.
“IPFW had one real chance in the second half and they converted on a set piece,” Roberts said. “I felt like if we had converted once, it really could have led to more, but we just couldn't score that first goal.”
Friday's contest was the only game for Ball State this weekend. The Cardinals will return home next weekend for a Sept. 6 game against Eastern Illinois and a Sept. 8 matchup with Tennessee Tech at the Briner Sports Complex.

West Virginia 4, Central Michigan 0

MORGANTOWN, W. Va. –The Central Michigan soccer team suffered its first loss of the season against the 10th-ranked West Virginia Mountaineers, 4-0, on Friday evening at a crowded Dick Dlesk stadium.
- Freshman goalkeeper Heather Laeufer made her first career start in net, recording seven saves, including five in the first half against a strong Mountaineer scoring attack. 
“Heather stepped up and showed maturity beyond her years," said CMU head coach Peter McGahey. "Like the result of the game, she played hard and deserving despite a disappointing effort. West Virginia is a top-ranked team and this experience will definitely benefit us.”
- The Mountaineers notched their first score of the game when Cari Price headed her first career goal from a corner sent by Frances Silva in the 40th minute. The sophomore defender added a second goal in 85th minute. 
- West Virginia carried the momentum early into the second half, as 2012 All-Big 12 First Team forward Kate Schwindel delivered a strike in the 49th minute to give the Mountaineers a 2-0 lead.  
- Redshirt freshman Eliza Van de Kerkhove nearly scored on a quality opportunity when her shot was deflected by WVU goalkeeper Sara Keane late in the second half. Estee Outcalt and Morgan Wilcoxon also applied pressure on the Mountaineers both recording shots on goal. 
- Frances Silva led West Virginia with three shots on goal and two assists. Silva's second assist was a result of goal in the 72nd minute by sophomore forward Annalika Steyn to make the score 3-0. 
- The Chippewas will continue their six-game road campaign on Sunday, Sept. 1 when they visit the Pittsburgh Panthers at Ambrose Urbanic Field.

Eastern Michigan 1, Michigan 2

ANN ARBOR, Mich. ( – The Eastern Michigan University soccer team stayed in Washtenaw County, traveling the short distance to the University of Michigan Soccer Stadium to tangle with the No. 14-ranked Wolverines. For the second straight game, the Green and White took a nationally-ranked team to overtime before falling, 2-1.  Michigan midfielder Meghan Toohey scored the game-winning goal with just 26 second left in the first overtime to give her team the win.
Bianca Rossi (Mississauga, Ontario-St. Marcellinus) slid a shot into the corner of the net with 8:30 left in regulation for her first goal of the season, a goal that tied the match and eventually sent the two teams into overtime after 90 minutes of regulation play.
Freshman Madisson Lewis scored in the 33rd minute to give Michigan the early, 1-0, lead while Toohey's goal in the 100th minute of play put the Wolverines on top and rounded out the match's scoring.
Whether it was diving across the box or soaring through the air, sophomore goalkeeper Megan McCabe (Arlington Heights, Ill.-Prospect) (1-2-0) played an outstanding game throughout, tallying eight saves on the night. On the other side, U-M goalkeeper Taylor Bucklin (3-0-0) notched five saves as the Eagles sent six shots on-goal.
Michigan outshot Eastern, 23-17, along with controlling corner kicks, 11-5. The Eagles were able to force 18 fouls from the Maize and Blue while only recording five of their own.
Michigan took the first shot five minutes into the contest, but it sailed wide. Thirty seconds later, U-M's points' leader, Nkem Ezurike, sent a shot flying directly at McCabe who kept the ball out of the net as the game remained scoreless.
The Wolverines continued on the offensive, sending shots McCabe's way. However, the sophomore goalkeeper stood her ground, making a save along the right post. Following the stop, the Eagles pushed the ball to the other side of the field. A cross came into the box, Cara Cutaia (Burlington, Ontario-Notre Dame Catholic) got her head on it, but the shot went wide.
With 23:30 remaining in the first half, Cutaia tried to go upper-90 on the right side of the goal, but Bucklin was able to get a hand on the shot, knocking the ball out of play to give Eastern a corner kick. Nonetheless, the Eagles were unable to take advantage of the corner.
In the 32nd minute, McCabe proved why she is the reigning Mid-American Conference Defensive Player of the Week. Michigan's Nicky Waldeck sent a rocket toward McCabe, who extended her entire body to the right to make a spectacular save. However, one minute later the Wolverines found the net. Shelby Chambers-Garcia found Lewis in the box, striking one off of McCabe's fingertips and into the goal, giving the Wolverines a 1-0 lead with 12:22 left in the opening half. Closing out the first 45 minutes, neither team would find the net, and the Eagles found themselves down, 1-0, at the break.
In the first half, Michigan sent eight shots towards the net with five on-goal. As for the Eagles, Cutaia recorded the only shot on-goal and the Green and White sent a total of five shots towards the goal.
The Eagles controlled the ball for the majority of the start of the second half. After Bucklin stopped another Cutaia shot, EMU had back-to-back corner kicks but could not find an opening.
Both teams played tight defense throughout the second half until Rossi finally found the opening the Eagles were looking for. The junior forward was able to sneak a long shot just past the keeper and into the corner of the net to even the contest, 1-1, with just 8:30 left in regulation.
With 23 seconds left in regular time, the Wolverines had a chance for the win, but the shot went wide, sending the game into overtime.
Halfway through the first ten-minute overtime, McCabe made a game-saving lunge to keep the Eagles alive. One minute later, McCabe would again have to extend an outstretched palm to the corner of the net to make another amazing save.
Eastern would take the ball to the other side of the field, and Cutaia would attempt a game-winning shot. However, Bucklin leaped in the air for the stop.
The match looked as if was going into a second overtime until McCombs sent a shot from just beyond the corner of the 18-yard box with 26 second left in overtime. The ball sailed up and over the outstretched McCabe and into the net, giving the Wolverines the 2-1 overtime decision.

Kent State 1, Cleveland State 0

KENT, Ohio – The Kent State women's soccer team (2-1-0) earned a 1-0 shutout win against Cleveland State on Friday evening at Zoeller Field.  Senior Jessacca Gironda provided the game-winning goal in the game's 51st minute and sophomore goalkeeper Stephanie Senn recorded her ninth career shutout for the Golden Flashes.
"I'm very pleased with our effort today," said Head Coach Rob Marinaro.  "I thought we worked extremely hard and we came out with a good victory.  It's always a big challenge to play Cleveland State, but I think we did a great job meeting that challenge by playing a great game."
Kent State took a 1-0 lead just five minutes into the second half when Gironda booted in a pass that went from Senn to junior Stephanie Haugh.  The goal marked the first of the 2013 campaign for Gironda and her 18th career score.
Gironda, who led the Golden Flashes with five shots, including two on goal, had a great look just 10 minutes into the first period.  She faked out her defender in the box and got off a quick shot, but Cleveland State keeper Sarah Wood sent it away to record her first save of the game.
The Vikings had their first solid look on the net in the 44th minute, but Senn collected the ball to pick up her first of two saves for the night.
The Golden Flashes dominated Cleveland State during the first 45 minutes of play, boasting a 10-0 lead in corner kicks and a 5-1 advantage in shots on goal, but could not find the back of the net as both teams went into halftime scoreless. 
With a 1-0 lead, Kent State continued to attack and outshoot the Vikings 7-2 in the final period for a 21-6 advantage for the game.   The Golden Flashes had many solid looks on the net, including a wide-open shot for junior Calli Rinicella in the 82nd minute.  She faked out her defender and found herself one-on-one against Wood, but the shot sailed wide of the goal.
Senn improved to 2-1-0 on the year in goal, while CSU's Wood moved to 2-1-0.

Miami 5, Belmont 0

OXFORD, Ohio – Opening its home slate in convincing fashion, the Miami University women’s soccer team showed a complete team effort en route to a 5-0 thumping of Belmont Friday evening at Miami Soccer Field. With the victory, the RedHawks (2-1-0) won their home opener for the seventh straight season while knocking off the Bruins (1-2-0) for the second consecutive year.
Senior midfielder Kayla Zakrzewski spurred the offense, scoring Miami’s first two goals of the match before adding an assist in the second half for a five-point night. The contest was her fourth career multi-goal match. Junior midfielder Kelsey Dinges chipped in three points, assisting on one of Zakrzewski’s scores while adding a goal of her own. Freshman midfielder Taylor Jackson also tallied three points on her first career goal and first career assist.
“Kayla’s Kayla. She’s got to be one of the top two or three players in the Mid-American Conference,” said head coach Bobby Kramig. “It’s about what we would expect from her. She’s a senior this year. She knows exactly what she’s doing out there. She’s very clinical out there and if we can find her one-on-one, God help the other team.”
Senior goalkeeper Allison Norenberg, who needed to make just one save all game to pitch her second straight shutout, became the winningest keeper in Miami history by earning her 31st career win in net Friday, passing Krista Pace (2006-09). Norenberg is also now just two clean sheets away from tying Pace for the Miami career shutouts record of 16, as she now has 14.
Miami set the tone from the start, dominating possession from the opening whistle. As powerful as the RedHawks’ offense was, the defense was just as impressive, not allowing a single Belmont shot the entire first half, while Miami fired nine of its own. The ‘Hawks also earned nine corner kicks in the opening 45 minutes to the Bruins’ none.
“At the start of the game, I thought everything was clicking. The first 15-20 minutes of the game was some of the best soccer we’ve played all year,” Kramig said. “The speed of play was good, passing was good and crisp, people were moving off the ball. That’s what we’ve been working on in practice so it was nice to see those things show up in a game.”
Zakrzewski put Miami on the board in the 23rd minute when she took a pass from junior forward Hailey Pleshakov and ripped a low, line drive from the left side of the box under Belmont goalkeeper Nicole Berner’s arms. Eleven minutes later, Zakrzewski doubled the RedHawks’ lead with her second tally of the night and third of the season. Dinges sent a long pass from near midfield over top of the Bruins defense while Zakrzewski used her speed to run onto the ball and blasted a shot past Berner into the back of the net from 15 yards out on a breakaway.
Berner made six of her seven saves on the night in the opening period to keep Belmont within striking distance, as Miami held a 2-0 lead at the break. It could’ve been 3-0 but Bruin back Elise DeTrude cleared a sliding shot from senior midfielder Katy Dolesh off the goal line that had beaten Berner.
In the second half, the RedHawks showed their depth, as 10 reserves played with each seeing double-digit minutes on the pitch, including the final 10 minutes in which not a single starter was on the field (other than Norenberg). Dinges started the scoring in the second stanza with her second goal of the year. In the 68th minute, Berner sent a long clear up to midfield but Dinges quickly chased it down and immediately booted it back towards goal from 45 yards out. With Berner nearly outside the penalty box after the clear and out of position, Dinges’ shot sailed over Berner’s head and perfectly into the net for a 3-0 Miami lead.
The RedHawks substitutes did not let up, notching the final two goals of the night. In the 76th minute, Zakrzewski set up Jackson with a low pass across the goal mouth, where a wide open Jackson tapped in the ball for her first collegiate goal. Jackson then earned her first assist in the 89th minute when she passed to her classmate, forward Jenna Weiner, in the box where she dribbled around Berner and scored her first career goal, completing the 5-0 victory.
“It’s nice, especially when it’s hot out here like today,” Kramig said of using his bench. “Those are good players we’re putting in the game. Those aren’t just a bunch of kids that aren’t good enough and only play in a five-nil game. We played most of those kids last week when it was one-nil. Depth is going to be a strength of this team and playing a long schedule with a whole bunch of Fridays and Sundays we’re going to need it.”
The Bruins did not record their first shot of the match until the 57th minute, which sailed wide left. Belmont’s best scoring chance came in the 87th minute when Taylor Smith put her foot on a loose ball in the box that trickled by Norenberg, but sophomore back Olivia Horner calmly cleared it from harm’s way. Miami finished with a 15-4 advantage in shots, including 12-2 in shots goal. The RedHawks also totaled 13 corner kicks while conceding just one.
Friday was Miami’s only match of the weekend, as the RedHawks next return to the field Friday, Sept. 6 at IPFW in Fort Wayne, Ind., before returning home to host Louisville on Sunday, Sept. 8.

Purdue 4, Northern Illinois 1

WEST LAFAYETTE, IND. - It was stormy night in West Lafayette, Ind. The Huskies and Boilermakers were forced to wait around 90 minutes to begin the game, starting at 7:30 p.m. instead of 6 p.m. at the Boilermaker Soccer Complex. Unfortunately for the Huskies, the late start was only the beginning of this night's troubles. The team gave up two quick goals in the 19th and 21st minutes. Recovery proved difficult, as the Huskies eventually dropped the game by a 4-1 final.
"We needed more fight today," said Head Coach John Ross. "It started too late. Purdue is a very good team. We needed to come out and go at them from the start, but that didn't happen in this one."
Maddy Williams of Purdue gave her team a big push. She scored the first Boilermaker goal off of a deflection. Then, just over a minute later, she zipped by Huskie defenders and scored another goal to put Purdue up 2-0 at the time. Aside from this run though, the first half was a defensive battle. There was no other scoring until the second half.
The Huskies came out with a purpose in the second half. In the 50th, Lauren Noonan (Naperville, Ill./Neuqua Valley) took a free kick from teammate Allie McBride (Naperville, Ill./Neuqua Valley) and headed it through to cut the Purdue lead in half at the time, bringing the score to a 2-1 deficit for NIU. However, that was the end of the scoring for NIU, as Purdue ramped up the pressure even more. The Boilermakers did not allow another goal for the remainder of the game, and they added two of their own to secure the victory.
This game was fraught with delays. The first delayed the start of the game, ensuring the teams would play into the night. Around the 72nd minute, a second delay came. This one delayed the game for over an hour, and the game did not resume until after 10 p.m. "It actually probably helped us," said Ross. "We're ready if it happens in the future." 

DePaul 3, Ohio 1

ATHENS, Ohio - The Ohio University women's soccer team fell by a final score of 3-1 Friday evening at the hands of the visiting DePaul Blue Demons. In a physical match, Erin Feeney's first career goal pulled the `Cats level before Natasa Radosavljevic scored a brace in a 60-second window during the second half to earn the win for the visitors.
For the second straight match, the Bobcats (0-2-1) outshot their opponents by a significant margin. Ohio recorded 15 total shots compared to 10 by DePaul (2-1-0). Eight of Ohio's shots were on target and the Bobcats also earned 10 corners compared to just one for the Blue Demons.
Senior goalkeeper Mattie Liston (Lakewood, Ohio) added to the distance she has put between herself and the rest of the record book on Friday, making her 300th career save early in the second half. Liston became the program's all-time saves leader during the last match of the 2012 season, and became the first Bobcat goalkeeper to ever reach 300 saves during Friday's match.
DePaul goalkeeper Alejandria Godinez had a very strong match in net for the visitors, denying the Bobcats on seven of their eight best scoring opportunities.
Following two early shots and corners by the Bobcats, DePaul scored against the run of play in the 19th minute to take a 1-0 lead. Elise Wyatt crossed the ball into the box and the Bobcat defense unsuccessfully attempted to clear it. Ana Greik was positioned well and was able to tap the ball past an outstretched Liston to give her side a 1-0 advantage.
Ohio's pressure paid dividends near the end of the first half when the Bobcats were able to force a DePaul defensive miscue in the form of a handling infraction. Feeney (Milton, Mass.) stepped up to the penalty spot and coolly slotted the ball into the net, beating the goalkeeper to her right side and tying the match at one apiece.
Following some early Ohio pressure to start the second frame, the visitors stunned the crowd with two quick goals in a span of 60 seconds to take a commanding 3-1 lead. In the 54th minute, Erin Pekovitch played in a cross toward teammate Natasa Radosavljevic. Ohio's defense nearly cleared the ball, but the attempted clearance fell right at the foot of Radosavljevic. She made no mistake with her chance and quickly slammed it into the back of the net.
Exactly 60 seconds later, a nearly identical situation occurred. The Bobcat defense had difficulty handling a well-placed cross and the ball fell right to the foot of Radosavljevic, who was able to tap it in to give the Blue Demons a 3-1 lead.

Toledo 1, Youngstown State 0

YOUNGSTOWN, OH – Toledo secured its first victory of the season with a 1-0 triumph against Youngstown State on Friday in the inaugural match at Farmers National Bank Field. With the win, the Rockets improve to 1-2-0 on the year.

Senior Rachel MacLeod found the back of the net for the second time in as many matches to lift the Midnight Blue & Gold to the shutout victory. MacLeod slipped past the Penguins defenders in the 14th minute, grabbed the loss ball and zipped a shot into the bottom-right corner of the frame for the contest's only score.

"I'm tremendously proud of this team," Toledo Head Coach Brad Evans said. "We have experienced so many challenges this early in the season, but the team responded really well today."

MacLeod and the Rockets finished the intrastate battle with a decisive 15-3 edge in shots. Sophomores Geri Siudzinski and Kika Hernandez paced the visitors with three shots each, while MacLeod and freshman Brooke Maletic were both credited with two shots.

"Our midfield played a big role in this win with their play in the air and on the ground," Evans said. "The patchwork back line also gelled quickly and showed some maturity and cohesion."

Sophomore Sam Tiongson went the distance between the posts and was called upon to make only one save to record the blanking.

"We're really happy to come away with a win today," senior defender Becky Rhodes said. "We have worked hard this past week and are proud of our result. Some younger players stepped up which was big for us."

Toledo will return to action on Sunday, Sept. 1 it entertains Kentucky in its home opener. The opening whistle between the Rockets and Wildcats is slated for 1:00 p.m. at Scott Park.