Sunday's Women's Soccer Results

Updated 8/25/2013

Sunday’s Women’s Soccer Scoreboard – 8/25
Akron 4, North Dakota 1
Ball State 3, Wisconsin-Green Bay 0
Central Michigan 2, Detroit 2
Miami 1, Valparaiso 0
Northern Illinois 3, Eastern Illinois 0
Ohio 1, Wright State 1
Belmont 3, Toledo 2
Cleveland State 2, Bowling Green 1
Iowa 3, Western Michigan 1
Marshall 3, Kent State 0
Ohio State 2, Eastern Michigan 1

Akron 4, North Dakota 1
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – A hat trick by Strongsville, Ohio native Megan Waskowski highlighted The University of Akron (1-1) women's soccer team's 4-1 win over the University of North Dakota (0-2) on Sunday in their final match in the Boilermaker Cup.

The Zips offense took a lead late in the first half, as Waskowski netted her first of three goals in the 42nd minute. Junior Karina Atkinson was credited with an assist on the goal, her first of the season and sixth in her collegiate career.

The second half would prove fruitful for Akron with three goals being scored by the offense in the half. Madison Kaser led off the scoring attack with a 62nd minute goal from a double assist by seniors Amber Kern and Kelly DeNiro to put the Zips up 2-0 over North Dakota. DeNiro's assist puts her atop the record books for Akron women's soccer with 12 career assists.

Following Kaser's goal, Waskowski began to register two goals in the 81st minute. Her first goal came on a thru pass from freshman Sarah Sivic to put Akron up by three goals. About 30 seconds later, the pair connected for yet another goal from 18 yards out.  Sivic's two assist were the first of her collegiate career.

Waskowski is the first Akron women's soccer player to register three goals in a match since Leigh Cullen knocked in three goals against Canisius in the 2010 season. She now has a total of seven goals in her collegiate career.

"Proud of the resilience our team showed over the weekend, and today's success was truly a complete team effort from the staff to the players," Head coach Vernon Croft said following the win. "We're looking forward to getting back to Akron, and building from here. There's a lot ahead for this group of young women."

"Excited for our first hat trick in a long time by Megan [Waskowski], and massive congrats to Kelly [DeNiro] on becoming school record holder for career assists. We look forward to many more from both of them," Croft said.

UND was able to push one goal past Akron goalie Alex Luevano-Harden in the 86th minute to bring the game to its final score of 4-1.

Sophomore goalkeeper Klaire Adee earned the win in Sunday's contest to improve her record to 1-1 on the season. Adee worked 66 minutes in goal and recorded one save.

Overall Akron had a spectacular day on the pitch. UA finished with 23 total shots and 10 shots on goal, compared to the UND offense's eight total shots and four shots on goal.

Sophomore defender Katie George and Waskowski were named to the all-tournament team for the Boilermaker Cup.

The Zips will travel to Morehead State on Friday for their next match in the 2013 season. Akron defeated Morehead in the 2012 season by a score of 3-2 at home in FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field.

Ball State 3, Wisconsin-Green Bay 0
MUNCIE, Ind. -- The Ball State soccer team polished off a perfect opening weekend Sunday with another impressive second-half performance in a 3-0 win over Green Bay.

The Cardinals scored all three goals after halftime at the Briner Sports Complex to improve to 2-0 on the season. Green Bay dropped to 0-1-1 with the loss.

Freshman Kelsey Wendlandt, junior Victoria Jacobs and sophomore Erin Greeley accounted for the Ball State goals, while freshman Brooke Dennis was between the posts for her first career shutout. The goals for Wendlandt and Greeley were the first of their collegiate careers.

The Cardinals broke out offensively in the second half for the second straight game. They scored two second-half goals in Friday’s opener against Northern Iowa and have now out-scored their opponents 5-0 after halftime through two games.

“The girls came out very strong in the second half,” Ball State coach Craig Roberts said. “In the first half, we had some problems with Green Bay’s direct style of play. We knew they would be direct, but we didn’t know they would be that direct.

“It was a good test for us. We weathered the storm well. We were able to regroup at the half and pick out one or two areas where we felt we could exploit them, and the girls did that in the second half.”

Wendlandt came off the bench to provide a spark early in the half, immediately applying pressure with a pair of left-footed shots that helped to get the Cardinals going. She finally got one to find the net in the 62nd minute when Kalynn Flanagan raced up the left side and crossed a pass to her just in front of Green Bay keeper Nastacia Behle, whom she beat for the opening goal.

Ball State added its second tally less than two minutes later. Michelle Blok took a corner kick and sent a directional pass backwards to Cailey Starck, who fired a ball into the box. Kelsey Shapiro got to the ball and flicked it on to Jacobs, who was there to put in the left side of the net.

Greeley then added another insurance goal in the 73rd minute. Jenna Finke crossed a ball from the top left corner of the box and found a slashing Greeley at the front right corner of the goal to give the Cardinals a three-goal advantage.

Defensively, Ball State posted its first shutout of the year courtesy of a strong effort from Dennis and the back line. Starting defenders Starck, Shapiro and Jacobs played the entire 90 minutes, creating problems for the Green Bay attack.

Dennis saved all four shots on goal she faced and also came out of the net to play numerous crosses and passes that threatened the goal.

Ball State will return to action Friday with a 5 p.m. road contest at IPFW. The Cardinals’ next home game is set for Sept. 6 against Eastern Illinois.

Central Michigan 2, Detroit 2
MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. – The Central Michigan soccer team rallied from a one-goal deficit twice in its 2013 season opener on Sunday but could not gain a result, tying Detroit, 2-2. A crowd in excess of 800, which included numerous other CMU teams and coaches and administrators, turned out to support Peter McGahey in his debut as CMU head coach and the Chippewas.   

Detroit struck first, earning a 1-0 lead in the 10th minute with a goal by Anna Mindling. It was her career first. The Titans’ lead would hold at halftime. Mindling went on to score again for the Titans, this time in the 81st minute, also unassisted. 
CMU responded to its first deficit after the break, knotting the game at 1-1 in the 53rd minute. Morgan Wilcoxon centered a pass to Jennifer Gassman, who netted it from near the penalty spot.
“The message at halftime was really simple. The game is a long game and we just have to keep playing and we don’t have to panic. I thought they came out in the second half and showed really good emotion to pull from one goal back. And to not only show the emotion to pull from one goal back but two goals back. Let’s be honest, to scoring two goals in the run of play in the women’s game is hard. I thought in the second half we were a little more assertive and I thought we passed the ball a little better in the second half,” said McGahey. 
Just over minute after Detroit took a 2-1 lead, the Chippewas were back on the scoreboard. Taylor Potts found Laura Gosse with a through ball on the right side of the box. Gosse slid a rolling one-timer from eight yards under the outstretched leg of the UDM goalkeeper, tying the game once again.  
Grace Labrecque played all 110 minutes in goal, making two saves, including a diving stop of wind-driven Mindling blast in the second half. 
CMU outshot Detroit, 23-11, including 5-1 in the overtime periods, and had a 9-4 advantage in shots on goal. Emily Cooksey led the Chippewas with five shots while Gosse, Emma Dwenger, and Taylor Potts tallied a team-high two shots on goal. Central doubled up the Titans in corner kicks, 8-4. 
The Chippewas are back in action next week with two road matches. They will face West Virginia in Morgantown on Friday, Aug. 30 (5 p.m.) and then travel to meet Pittsburgh on Sunday, Sept. 1 (12 p.m.).

Miami 1, Valparaiso 0
VALPARAISO, Ind. – After coming up just short in its season opener Friday, the Miami University women’s soccer team bounced back with a persistent performance Sunday afternoon at Brown Field that was capped by a late penalty kick goal from junior midfielder Kelsey Dinges, lifting the RedHawks to a 1-0 win over Valparaiso. Miami (1-1-0) collected its first win of 2013 with the effort, while handing the Crusaders (1-1-0) their first loss of the season in the first ever meeting between the teams.

Miami came out attacking early, with sophomore midfielder Haley Walter forcing Crusader keeper Kristen Manski to make a save in the second minute. The RedHawks then earned a pair of corners in the first 15 minutes, but were unable to capitalize. Both teams had close-range opportunities throughout the remainder of the half, with Miami senior goalkeeper Allison Norenberg lunging off her line to make a potential game-changing save on a breakaway, keeping the match scoreless at halftime.

After 45 minutes, Valpo held a 4-3 edge in shots, but the two teams each put a pair of shots on goal, as Norenberg and Manski both made two saves. The RedHawks did earn a 3-2 advantage in corner kicks in the first frame.

“I told the team at halftime that we would win this game with our bench and that’s exactly what happened,” head coach Bobby Kramig said. “We were able to keep fresh legs in the game the whole second half and it really made a difference.”

The second half started similar to the first, with Miami again pushing forward. The ‘Hawks drew a free kick four minutes into the second stanza but senior midfielder Katy Dolesh headed the ball just high of the goal. Minutes later, Dolesh was in on a breakaway and her shot from 15 yards out beat Manski but bounced off the left post and away from goal.

The RedHawks showed their depth as the match wore on, applying pressure in the 63rd minute from a pair of freshmen. Forward Jenna Weiner booted a shot high, but Miami earned a corner kick minutes later and Manski had to make a save on rookie midfielder Taylor Jackson’s blast.

Dolesh had a few good looks 10 minutes later, with Manski saving one and stopping another shot from senior midfielder Kayla Zakrzewski. Finally, in the 87th minute, the RedHawks were able to break through. On a counter attack, Zakrzewski received a perfect through ball in the box from freshman midfielder Rachel Marble and was brought down by Manski, earning Miami a penalty kick.

Dinges stepped up and confidently buried the kick for her first goal of the season to put the RedHawks on top.

Norenberg, who totaled three saves to earn her 13th career shutout, made one final save in the closing seconds to preserve the 1-0 victory. Miami dominated the second half, outshooting Valparaiso 10-3 over the final 45 minutes while also earning all three corner kicks awarded in the period. For the match, the RedHawks finished with a 13-7 edge in shots and 6-2 edge in corners, but Manski was strong in net, making six saves to keep the Crusaders in the game.

“It was a great team win today,” Kramig said. “Friday’s game (at Illinois State) was very difficult and I knew we were a bit depleted going into the game today. It was also very hot on the artificial surface. I thought our kids showed a lot of composure under tough conditions. The experience and confidence gained last year really showed.”

Miami returns to Oxford next weekend for its home opener, which is its only contest of the weekend. The RedHawks host Belmont on Friday, Aug. 30 at 5 p.m. at Miami Soccer Field. As always, admission is free.

Northern Illinois 3, Eastern Illinois 0
DeKALB, Ill. - On a warm summer day, the Northern Illinois women's soccer team kept up the heat against in-state opponent Eastern Illinois. The Huskies fired off 17 shots in this game and never looked back, scoring on three of those attempts to win in a 3-0 shutout.
The first half of this game featured a tough defensive battle. The Huskies were often on the attack, but the Panthers were able to fend them off and hold a scoreless tie going into the half. The Northern Illinois women had gotten off eight shots over the first 45 minutes, but thanks to stellar work in net by Eastern Illinois goalkeeper Kylie Morgan and the Panther defenders, the Huskies were held out of the score column.
This would not last however, as Northern Illinois came out for the second half fired up and determined to win this game. Nicole Gobbo(Bartlett, Ill./Bartlett) began the scoring with an unassisted goal in the 52nd minute. She took a deflected ball right in front of the goal and punched it in for the easy 1-0 lead.
Frances Boukidis (La Crescenta, Cali./Crescenta Valley) was next. In the 68th minute, she padded the lead by booming the ball through the posts and into the net before the opposing goalkeeper could get there. Jess Woolridge (Center Point, Iowa/Center Point-Urbana) wasted little time giving the Huskies another insurance goal, with help from Allie McBride(Naperville, Ill./Neuqua Valley) on the assist. The game quickly went from a tight affair to a secure-looking victory, and Northern Illinois was indeed able to hold from there to win 3-0.
Amy Carr(Hemel Hempstead, England/Townsend Church of England) and the defensive crew started the season strong by shutting out the opposition. They allowed the Panthers just two shots all game, and only one of those was on net.
The Huskies came out ahead in just about every statistical category. They had more corner kicks (8-1), more shots on goal (7-1), and more shots (17-3). It was a strong performance to begin the season, and they'll look to keep it up for the remainder of the season.
Northern Illinois has two games to play on Labor Day weekend. The Huskies will travel to West Lafayette, Ind. to take on Purdue at 6 p.m. on Friday, August 30. On Sunday, September 1, they'll host Lewis University at 1 p.m.

Ohio 1, Wright State 1
ATHENS, Ohio – The Ohio University women’s soccer team picked a solid result against the visiting Wright State Raiders Sunday afternoon at Chessa Field, playing to a 1-1 double-overtime draw. The visitors scored late in the first half to take a 1-0 advantage into halftime but redshirt freshman Sasha Haverchak was able to salvage the draw for Ohio, scoring her first career goal in the second half.

Ohio (0-1-1) dominated play for most of the contest, outshooting the Raiders by a 17-11 mark. The Bobcats doubled Wright State in shots on goal (8-4) and corner kicks (12-6) throughout the contest.

Emilie Fillion recorded a game-high six shots for the Raiders, while Maggie Murnane (Libertyville, Ill.) registered a team-high five for the Bobcats, four of which were on target. She was one of four Bobcats (Alexis Milesky, Carly Manso, and Liz Finley) who fired two or more shots in the match.

Ohio controlled much of the early possession in the first half, pressuring the Raiders’ backline early. Murnane was a threat right from the start, firing shots on target in the seventh and eighth minutes. Brooke McCurdy was equal to the task for each attempt, however, keeping the teams deadlocked at 0-0.

One of the Bobcats’ best chances of the opening 45 minutes came from a Tonya Frasik (Lebanon, Ohio) corner in the 31st minute. Her cross swung into the box towards onrushing freshman Alexis Milesky (Plain City, Ohio), who nodded it just high of the target.

Somewhat against the run of play, Wright State (1-0-1) took a 1-0 lead in the 37th minute when Emilie Fillion scored her second goal of the season. Fillion collected a pass from teammate Allie Metzler 30 yards from goal, took a touch, and lofted a very well-placed attempt over a leaping Nicole Amari (Vernon Hills, Ill.) and into the corner of the net.

The ‘Cats came out firing on all cylinders in the second half, hitting 10 total shots, six of which were on target. Murnane, Holly Harris (Batavia, Ohio), and Grace Campbell (Wadsworth, Ohio) each registered one shot apiece in the first three minutes of the half.

Ohio’s breakthrough came in the 67th minute. From near the corner flag, redshirt freshman transfer Carly Manso (Vernon Hills, Ill.) played a ball to Murnane at the top corner of the 18-yard box. Murnane looked up and found Haverchak open in space just a few yards away. Haverchak took one touch at the top of the box to create space away from a defender and then hit a hard left-footed shot across her body towards the inside post. McCurdy dove but was unable to get there in time, and the shot leveled the match at 1-1.

When the match wasn’t settled in 90 minutes, the teams continued for two 10-minute sudden-victory overtime periods. Ohio outshot Wright State 4-3 in the 20 minutes of additional time, but neither side was able to find the decisive goal.

Ohio will next be in action on Friday, Aug. 30 vs. DePaul. The Bobcats and Blue Demons will kick off from Chessa Field at 4 p.m.

Belmont 3, Toledo 2
MINNEAPOLIS, MN – Toledo sustained a disappointing 3-2 loss to Belmont on Sunday at the Gopher Tournament at Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium. With the setback, the Rockets fall to 0-2-0 on the season.

UT received markers from freshman Brooke Maletic and senior Rachel MacLeod against the Bruins (1-1-0), but it was not enough as the Midnight Blue & Gold was dealt its second straight one-goal loss to start the regular season. The four-time Mid-American Conference Tournament champions dropped a 2-1 decision to host Minnesota on Friday in the opener.

"Today was disappointing on many levels,” Toledo Head Coach Brad Evans said. “Belmont did a good job exploiting our lack of preparation and that is on me and my coaching. We generated enough good chances to even the match but we dug ourselves too big a hole to climb out of."

Belmont’s Katie Proud opened the action packed first half with an unassisted goal at 12:29.

The Rockets retaliated when freshman Brooke Maletic found the back of the net for the first time as a collegiate at 20:42. Another prolific first-year scorer on UT’s roster, Maletic totaled 84 goals and 36 assists (204 points) at Springfield Catholic Central High School, including a school-record 36 markers and 15 helpers (87 points) as a senior.

Maletic’s tally set off an offensive explosion as the final three goals were registered over the ensuing eight minutes. Unfortunately for the Rockets, two of the markers were tallied by Belmont to keep the Midnight Blue & Gold winless after the first weekend of the regular season.

BU built a lead it would not surrender on back-to-back goals from Allie Hicks and Meg Howard to take a 3-1 advantage at 26:31 and 28:12, respectively.

However, Toledo cut the Bruins’ margin in half exactly 30 seconds later when senior Rachel MacLeod scored her first goal of the season at 28:42. With today’s marker, MacLeod moved into a three-way tie for fifth place in UT annals with 22 career goals.

In the second half, UT managed to outshoot BU, 6-4, but could not find an equalizer and as a result was saddled with a 3-2 setback.

The Bruins finished the non-league encounter with a 15-9 edge in shots over the Rockets. MacLeod paced Toledo with three shots, followed by sophomores Geri Siudzinski and Kika Hernandez with two shots each, while Proud led Belmont with three shots.

Senior Kelsey Borowitz drew the start in between the posts and played all 90 minutes, finishing with a career-high seven saves.

"We still have a lot of work to do,” MacLeod said. “It was good to see two freshmen score over the weekend, but we missed a lot of opportunities offensively. We also conceded some easy goals. There were a lot of positives and negatives on the weekend, but now we just look to this week of practice going into next weekend and go forward."

The Rockets will return to the pitch on Friday, Aug. 30 when they travel to Horizon League member Youngstown State, before entertaining Southeastern Conference participant Kentucky on Sunday, Sept. 1 in their home opener. UT’s match against the Penguins will start at 4:00 p.m. at Farmers National Bank Field, while the home opener versus the Wildcats will kick off at 1:00 p.m. at Scott Park.

Cleveland State 2, Bowling Green 1
Freshman Haley Malaczewski scored a goal in her collegiate debut, but the Bowling Green State University women's soccer team fell just short against Cleveland State University Sunday afternoon (Aug. 25). The host Vikings picked up a 2-1 win at Krenzler Field.

With the win, CSU improves to 2-0 on the young season. Sunday's match was the regular-season opener for the Falcons.
"We have nothing to be ashamed of in today's performance," said Falcon head coach Lindsay Basalyga. "This was the best soccer we've played to date, and we did a great job transitioning into the attack, creating quite a few dangerous chances on goal in both halves.
"We still aren't 90-minutes fit, which caused some tactical breakdowns late in the second half, but I think both teams definitely battled for the result today."
After falling behind in the seventh minute, Malaczewski and the Falcons struck back just before halftime. The freshman from Toledo (Central Catholic H.S.) ran on to a nifty through ball from senior Alyssa Carmack, and had only CSU goalkeeper Sarah Wood to beat. As Wood came off of her line to attempt to cut down the angle, Malaczewski coolly slotted the ball past the 'keeper and into the lower-left corner of the net. That goal tied the match with 3:43 remaining in the period.
The Vikings' initial goal had come when Frederike Dubeau scored off of a corner kick by Amanda Sivic. That goal had come after a giveaway by a BG defender resulted in a shot that forced BGSU redshirt freshman goalkeeper Lauren Cadel to make a diving save. Cadel deflected the ball wide of the goal and over the end line, resulting in the corner kick.
In the second half, the home team broke the tie with just over an hour gone. Shea Levi's short right-side cross found Brittney Koester on the doorstep, and Koester's one-timer gave the Vikings what proved to be the winning goal.
CSU held an 18-10 advantage in total shot attempts, but every one of BGSU's shots was on target. The Falcons had a 10-8 margin in shots on goal. Malaczewski led the way with four shots off the bench, while senior Madeline Wideman and freshman Courtney Hendrix had two apiece.
"We did a pretty good job by putting all of our shots on frame," said Basalyga. "Now, we just need to do a better job of finishing our opportunities."
Trailing by a goal in the late going, the Falcons applied some pressure. With roughly three minutes on the clock, a long, curving shot by Hendrix forced Wood to deflect it wide of the goal with a headlong dive. After the ensuing corner kick, a right-side serve barely missed making connections with several Falcons in the box, and went out of bounds just beyond the left post.
Sunday's match marked the collegiate debut for six Falcons -- redshirt freshmen Cadel and Hendrix and true frosh Malaczewski, Paige Amodio, Sabrina Cisneros and Jessica Creech. Five of those players made their first collegiate start, with Cadel, Amodio and Creech playing all 90 minutes, Hendrix 70 and Cisneros 66. Malaczewski played 50 minutes off the bench.
In addition to the three aforementioned freshmen, Carmack played all 90 minutes in Sunday's match. Her assist on Malaczewski's goal was the second of her career.
Cadel made six saves on the afternoon. At the other end of the pitch, Wood had nine saves in her complete-match effort for the Vikings.
The Falcons return to Northwest Ohio to prepare for the regular-season home opener. BGSU will face Butler University on Saturday (Aug. 31) in a 4:00 p.m. start at Cochrane Field, and admission is free.

Iowa 3, Western Michigan 1
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The Western Michigan women’s soccer team dropped its second game of its season-opening road trip, falling to Iowa 3-1 on Sunday afternoon.
Melanie Pickert notched two goals on the day for the Hawkeyes, with Megan Ross netting the lone tally for the Broncos on the day. Michelle Watson made six saves in net but the Broncos (0-2-0) dropped their second-straight road game to open the season.
“I couldn’t be more proud of our effort today,” said head coach Nate Norman. “We were down 1-0 at the half and a lesser team would have quit. We battled back and got the equalizer and came very close to getting a result against a very good Iowa team. Unfortunately the ball didn’t bounce our way a couple of times and we came up short.”
Pickert gave Iowa a 1-0 lead in the 44th minute after scoring a direct free kick from outside the box. The Hawkeyes had outshot the Broncos 11-5 in the first half but the Broncos respond strong in the second.
Ross netted her second of the season to tie the game, 1-1, for WMU in the 70th minute. Nicole Hatcliffe fired a shot on net but the save was made by Iowa keeper Hannah Clark. The freshman was there to pounce on it and punched it in off the rebound.
Pickert netted the game winner just five minutes later in the 75th after slotting a shot into the corner of the net on a pass from Ashley Catrell.
Catrell added a penalty kick goal in the 81st minute to push the score to 3-1.
Western Michigan hosts Cleveland State on Sunday at 1 p.m. for its regular season home-opener at the WMU Soccer Complex.

Marshall 3, Kent State 0
HUNTINGTON, W.V. - The Marshall women's soccer team handed Kent State its first loss of the season, defeating the Golden Flashes 3-0 at the Veterans Memorial Soccer Complex on Sunday afternoon.   Marshall improved to 2-0 on the year, while Kent State evened its record to 1-1.
"It was a very disappointing day," said Head Coach Rob Marinaro.  "We had our opportunities to make it a game, but we did not capitalize.  In the end we need more from ourselves physically and mentally.  We need to learn our lessons from this one and move forward."

Just 9:52 into the game, Marshall earned its first goal when Kristine Culicerto put in a header on a Jenna Dubs corner kick.  The Golden Flashes, who outshot the Herd 7-3 in the first period and had a 6-2 lead in corner kicks, continued to keep attacking the net and had a few good looks on goal.

In the 30th minute, KSU's Jenna Hellstrom nailed a shot on net that was saved by Marshall's keeper, Lizzie Kish, and a shot by Morgan Mah  minutes later was sent away by Kish.  The Herd headed into halftime with a 1-0 lead.

Marshall came out of the half with intensity, dominating the Golden Flashes in shots, 14-4, and in corner kicks, 4-0.

In the 65th minute, Marshall earned its second goal of the day when Sydney Arnold sent a shot high that went off the bar and into the corner of the net.   Four minutes later, Myka DeMarco sent a cross into the box for a Kristine Culicerto tap in.

Sophomore goalkeeper Stephanie Senn (1-1-0) made four saves in 90 minutes of play today, all of which were in the second period.   Marshall keeper Lizzie Kish (2-0-0) combined for three.
Kent State is back in action at 5 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 30, against Cleveland State.

Ohio State 2, Eastern Michigan 1
COLUMBUS, Ohio ( – The Eastern Michigan University soccer team took No. 23 Ohio State University to overtime before falling, 2-1, in the first road test of the season for the Eagles, Aug. 25. OSU's Ellyn Gruber scored the game-winner eight minutes into the first overtime to help the Buckeyes escape with the victory.
Team co-captain Cara Cutaia (Burlington, Ontario-Notre Dame Catholic) scored in the 30th minute for EMU (1-1-0) in what ended up being the lone goal for the Eagles. Megan McCabe (Arlington Heights, Ill.-Prospect) (1-1-0) stopped four-of-six OSU shots on goal for the Green and White. The Eagles were outshot 19-9 by the Buckeyes.
Aside from Gruber scoring the game-winning goal in overtime, Lindsay Agnew scored for Ohio State (2-0-0) in the 60th minute, a goal that forced extra minutes between the two teams.  The Buckeyes' Rachel Middleman got the start in between the posts, allowing one goal while grabbing two saves. Jillian McVicker (2-0-0) came on in relief for the second half and overtime to stop one EMU shot-on-goal in the final 53 minutes of the match.
The Buckeyes seemed to control the start of the match, outshooting Eastern, 6-1, in the first 25 minutes. However, it was the Eagles who would strike first just five minutes later. Cutaia left right where she left off from the season-opening win against Detroit. After her initial shot was blocked in the box, she took the rebound and sent a shot flying 12 yards into the net, giving the Eagles a 1-0 lead in the 30th minute.
Despite Ohio State holding the advantage in shots (8-5) and corners (4-1), the Green and White held the one goal advantage after the game's first 45 minutes. Both goalies grabbed two saves each in the opening half.
With less than 30 minutes left in the second half, OSU tied the contest courtesy of a header by Agnew. Seven minutes later, the OSU forward tried another header, but missed high over the top post.
Both teams had scoring opportunities as the final minutes of the second half were winding down. In the 87th minutes, Angela Vultaggio (Chesterfield, Mich.- L'Anse Creuse North) sent a ball towards the net from the right wing, but McVicker was there to make the stop. With 23 seconds left in regulation, it was McCabe's turn for a save. OSU's Nichelle Prince tried to sneak one past McCabe from the left wing, but the sophomore goalkeeper stood strong for the clutch save, forcing extra time to decide a winner.
At the 98:29 mark, Gruber found the goal from nine yards out off a rebound to give the host Buckeyes the win.
The Eagles continue to stay on the road as well as playing opponents from the B1G. EMU makes the short trek to Ann Arbor to face the nationally-ranked Michigan Wolverines, Aug. 30 at 7:30 p.m.