MAC Men's Basketball Daily (2-2-13 Release)
MAC Men's Basketball Daily Release -- Saturday, February 2nd
Ball State (8-11, 2-5 MAC) at Bowling Green (7-13, 2-5 MAC)
2 p.m. ET • Bowling Green leads series 41-34
• Ball State dropped an 85-78 decision Wednesday against Toledo to fall to 8-11 (2-5 MAC). Ball State is one four teams in the MAC with three players averaging double figures and the only one with three in the top 12 in the league in scoring -- Jesse Berry 10th, Majok Majok and Jauwan Scaife T-11th... Bowling Green is coming off a 68-55 loss Wednesday to Akron. BGSU’s two league wins have come at home -- 46-44 over Eastern Michigan and 70-55 over Kent State. BGSU features two of the top six scorers in the MAC in Jordon Crawford (15.9 points per game) and A’uston Calhoun (15.5).
Toledo (8-10, 4-3 MAC) at Northern Illinois (5-14, 3-4 MAC)
4 p.m. ET • Toledo leads series 39-23
• The Rockets are in second place in the MAC’s West Division and trail first-place Western Michigan (13-7, 5-2 MAC) by one game. UT features two of the MAC’s top scorers with junior G Rian Pearson pacing the league at 18.6 ppg and sophomore G Julius Brown in ninth place at 13.3 ppg... The Huskies have won two of their last three games - wins at Central Michigan on Jan. 23 (74-61) and vs. Kent State on Wednesday (67-65). Sophomore G/F Abdel Nader is the only Huskies’ player scoring in double figures, averaging 14.2 ppg and a team-high 5.3 rpg.
Ohio (15-5, 6-0 MAC) at Akron (16-4, 7-0 MAC)
5 p.m. ET • Ohio leads series 37-31
Watch LIVE on ESPNU
• Akron extended its winning streak to 12 games with a 68-55 win at Bowling Green on Wednesday. The streak is the second-longest active streak in the nation (Kansas 18). During their 12-game winning streak, the Zips are out-scoring their opponents by 15.6 points/game and hold a +10.1 rebounding advantage. UA is shooting 45.6 percent and has held at least a share of the lead for 405:08 out of the last 480:00 minutes (84.4 percent). Akron’s 7-0 start is the best in program history since joining the MAC during the 1992-93 campaign.... - Ohio is 6-0 in MAC play for the first time since 1973-74 and has won its first three MAC road games for the first time since 1992-93. With a win against Akron, Ohio will move to 7-0 in MAC games and 4-0 in MAC road contests for the first time since 1960-61. - Ohio leads the nation in assists per game (19.3 apg). The school record for assists per game is 18.2, set by the 1978-79 Bobcats. ,D.J. Cooper has moved into a tie for 20th place on the all-time NCAA Division I assists list and recorded his 300th career steal. With 14 more steals, the 2013 Cousy Award Finalist will move into 25th place on the all-time NCAA Division I steals ledger.
Eastern Michigan (10-10, 3-3 MAC) at Kent State (11-10, 2-5 MAC)
6 p.m. ET • Kent State leads series 38-30
• The Golden Flashes have not lost five games in a row since 2009 when they dropped neutral-site games to Illinois and Texas A&M in late November before opening December by falling at Kansas and at home to both Saint Mary’s and Western Carolina. Eastern Michigan hopes to end a streak of its own on Saturday. The Eagles have lost 16 consecutive games to Kent State dating back to Feb. 7, 1998. Chris Evans continues to lead Kent State in both scoring (16.6) and rebounding (7.0). Derek Thompson is Eastern Michigan’s top scorer at 11.2 per game. Da’Shonte Riley leads the Eagles in rebounding at 6.1 per game.
Miami (7-12, 2-5 MAC) at Central Michigan (9-11, 2-5 MAC)
7 p.m. ET • Miami leads series 47-18
• Miami looks to halt a four-game losing stretch and also win the program’s 600th MAC game. In league action, Miami junior forward Will Felder ranks among the top six in the conference in scoring (15.6 ppg), rebounding (7.1 rpg) and field goal percentage (.549) and ranks among MAC statistical leaders in seven categories in conference play... The Chippewas are 1-1 against MAC East Division opponents this year, defeating BGSU 73-67, and falling at Buffalo, 73-91. Senior Kyle Randall has recorded 20 plus points in seven games this season, most recently scoring 23 points at Buffalo on January 30th. His team-high 16.7 points per game ranks him third in the MAC.
Buffalo (8-13, 3-4 MAC) at Western Michigan (13-7, 5-2 MAC)
7 p.m. ET • Western Michigan leads series 10-8
• The Bulls are 8-13 overall and 3-4 in the MAC after beating Central Michigan, 91-73, on Wednesday night. Cameron Downing led the Bulls with a career-high 21 points. Auraum Nuiriankh also scored a career-high 18 points and added 10 rebounds for his second double-double of the year. Western Michigan is 13-7 overall and 5-2 in the MAC. The Broncos are coming off thier fifth straight win, a 72-68 win at Miami on Wednesday night. WMU is led by Shayne Whittington who is averaging 11.9 points and 7.9 rebounds per game.