MAC Men's Basketball Daily (1-23-13 Release)
MAC Men's Basketball Daily - Wednesday, January 23
Kent State (11-7, 2-2 MAC) at Bowling Green (6-11, 1-3 MAC)
7 p.m. ET • Bowling Green leads series 81-67
• Kent State’s two seniors, Chris Evans (17.2 ppg) & Randal Holt (13.8 ppg), combine to average 31.0 points per game which accounts for 44 percent of the Golden Flashes’ scoring and is the 3rd highest-scoring duo in the Mid-American Conference this season, trailing Rian Pearson and Julius Brown of Toledo and Jordon Crawford and A’uston Calhoun of Bowling Green... Bowling Green is 17-6 all-time in the Stroh Center, including 7-2 in MAC games. The Falcons have committed a MAC-low 12.4 turnovers per game.
Ohio (13-5, 4-0 MAC) at Miami (7-9, 2-2 MAC)
7 p.m. ET • Ohio leads series 98-91
• Last time out, Ohio moved to 4-0 in MAC play with a 76-67 victory over Toledo Saturday inside the Convocation Center. The Bobcats shot over 50 percent (27-53) from the field for the fifth-straight home game and committed a season-low five turnovers in the contest. Senior forward Reggie Keely led the `Cats with a career-high 24 points and connected on 9-of-9 field goal attempts... The RedHawks have posted a 7-9 record this season and are 5-2 inside Millett Hall. Allen Roberts is pacing the RedHawks this season in points (13.1 ppg), while Will Felder, who’s averaging 10.9 points per game, is the team’s top rebounder (4.8 rpg)
Buffalo (6-12, 1-3 MAC) at Ball State (7-9, 1-3 MAC)
7 p.m. ET • Ball State leads series 13-8
•Ball State enters the game looking to snap a three-game losing skid that has dropped the Cardinals to 7-9 (1-3 MAC). BSU dropped a 71-57 decision Saturday at Central Michigan. Junior forward Majok Majok, who averaged 20.0 points and 12.0 rebounds over two games last week, is coming off his third straight double-double with 14 points and 11 boards Saturday at CMU...Buffalo picked up its first MAC win of the season Saturday with a 68-65 home victory over Bowling Green. The Bulls snapped a four-game losing streak to improve to 6-12 (1-3 MAC). Junior forward Javon McCrea paces Buffalo with 17.1 points and 7.4 rebounds per game.
Northern Illinois (3-13, 1-3 MAC) at Central Michigan (9-8, 2-2 MAC)
7 p.m. ET • Northern Illinois leads series 51-46
• The Chippewas are 5-1 inside McGuirk Arena this year, and have seen an increase in attendance by 400 fans per game over last season. Senior forward Olivier Mbaigoto has stepped up his play, recording Central Michigan’s first double-double of the season at Eastern Michigan last week. Mbaigoto his averaging 11.8 points and 6.8 rebounds over the past five games...NIU’s Darrell Bowie is averaging 8.8 points, second-best among conference freshmen, and 5.5 rebounds, most among MAC rookies, per game in conference play. Overall, Bowie ranks 28th in the MAC in scoring in conference play and tied for 16th in rebounding.
Akron (13-4, 4-0 MAC) at Toledo (6-9, 2-2 MAC)
7 p.m. ET • Toledo leads series 29-25
• Akron improved to 4-0 in MAC play and extended its winning streak to nine games with a 71-67 win at Kent State on Saturday. With his four blocked shots, Zeke Marshall passed Ball State’s Lonnie Jones (301, 1998-2002) to break the MAC’s all-time blocked shots record with 304 career swats. A win would give the Zips a 10-game winning streak for the first time since UA’s 14-game winning streak during the 1972-73 season...The Rockets have lost their last two contests – both on the road – but have a 3-1 overall record at home.Two Rockets are averaging double figures, including Rian Pearson (18.7 ppg) and Julius Brown (13.5 ppg). Pearson is also the team’s leading rebounder at 6.3 boards per game.
Eastern Michigan (9-9, 2-2 MAC) at Western Michigan (10-7, 2-2 MAC)
7 p.m. ET • Western Michigan leads series 54-43
• Eastern Michigan is now 9-9 on the campaign and 2-2 in conference play after winning two straight at home against Central Michigan and Miami. Senior guard Derek Thompson is leading the way offensively, posting 11.7 points per game. Leading the Eagles in rebounding is junior center Da’Shonte Riley who is pulling down 6.2 rebounds per game..The Broncos come into the contest boasting a 10-7 record, going 2-2 in MAC games this season. Nate Hutcheson and Shay Whttington are each pouring in 11.2 points per game this season, with Whittington leading WMU with 8.8 rebounds a game. Austin Richie averages 3.2 assists a game.