Saturday's MAC Men's Basketball Results

Updated 1/19/2013

Saturday's MAC Men's Basketball Results
Akron 71, Kent State 67
Ohio 76, Toledo 67
Eastern Michigan 65, Miami 58
Buffalo 68, Bowling Green 65
Central Michigan 71, Ball State 57
Western Michigan 71, Northern Illinois 34

Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments

Akron 71, Kent State 67

KENT, Ohio – A 45-point second half and double-doubles by Demetrius "Tree" Treadwell and Zeke Marshall was the difference as the Akron Zips defeated Kent State 71-67 on Saturday afternoon in a Mid-American Conference East Division battle on ESPNU.

Down 10 at the half, the Zips held the Golden Flashes to just six buckets in the second half en route to a 45-point performance in the final 20 minutes. Akron has now won five-straight in the series and nine-straight overall.
Treadwell scored 15 points and grabbed a career-high 16 boards, including seven on the offensive glass. Ten of Treadwell's 16 rebounds came in the second half.
Marshall closed the day with 17 points and 11 boards, in addition to four blocked shots. Chauncey Gilliam, just 15 days off knew surgery, pitched in with 11 points, including three clutch 3-pointers.
Akron (13-4, 4-0 MAC) shot 37.1 percent from the floor (26-of-70) and 28.0 percent from 3-point range (7-of-25). Kent State (11-7, 2-2 MAC) finished the game shooting 35.2 percent (19-of-54) and 33.3 percent from long range (6-of-18).
Down 26-20 in rebounding at the half, the Zips dominated the boards in the second half (31-13) to win the overall battle 51-39.
Chris Evans led KSU with 19 points.
After turning the ball over on two of its first three possessions of the second half, Akron used an 8-2 run sparked by Treadwell's play on the offensive glass to cut KSU's lead to 38-34 (15:30). Treadwell had six of Akron's eight points and six rebounds, including three offensive.
KSU would respond and push its lead back to 46-37 by the 13:39 mark. The Akron defense would begin to show its muscle, holding KSU without a field goal for the next 5:43 to take a 51-50 lead into the under-eight media timeout. The Akron run stood at 14-4.
Neither team gained much of an advantage down the stretch, with Akron's 60-56 lead with 4:41 remaining as the largest lead heading into the final media timeout.
Four-straight KSU free throws game the Golden Flashes a three-point advantage, but an Alex Abreu 3-pointer knotted the game at 65-65 and Walsh hit on the next possession to put Akron up 66-63 with 1:33 remaining.
The Golden Flashes tied the game at 66-66 with 1:20 to go before the Zips would ice the game at the line for the 71-67 win.
The game started as a back-and-forth affair, with nine lead changes and two ties in the first 9:35 of the contest. However, six points by Treadwell and four by Nick Harney gave Akron a 16-15 lead with 10:25 left in the first half.
With his back-to-back blocks of KSU's Melvin Tabb – the second coming at the 9:21 mark of the first half – Marshall became the MAC's all-time leader for blocked shots (302).
Akron used a 7-0 run to open up a 21-15 by the 8:26 mark, but Kent State slowly began to chip away at the lead. The Golden Flashes were able to piece together a 14-3 run over the next five minutes to force a Zips' timeout with 3:34 remaining in the half and UA down 29-24.
The KSU run continued to 19-3 before a Marshall put-back dunk with 1:37 ended Akron's near four-minute drought with UA down 34-24. Both teams traded points as KSU took a 36-26 lead into the locker room.
The Zips shot 36.4 percent in the first half from the field (12-of-33) and just 10.0 percent from long range (1-of-10). KSU finished the half shooting 39.4 percent (13-of-33). The Golden Flashes held a 26-20 rebounding advantage and committed seven turnovers to Akron's six.
Treadwell finished the half with a team-high seven points and six boards, while Marshall added six points, four boards and three blocked shots.
The Zips stay on the road as they head to Toledo, Ohio, to face the Toledo Rockets on Wednesday, Jan. 23. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on SportsTime Ohio.

Ohio 76, Toledo 67
ATHENS, Ohio -- The Ohio University men’s basketball team withstood a number of rallies from a talented Toledo squad to earn its fifth-straight win, 76-67, on Saturday evening inside the Convocation Center.

Ohio (13-5, 4-0 MAC), which trailed 36-33 at halftime, used second-half runs of 7-0, 9-0 and 5-0 to hold on to the lead it claimed for much of the final stanza.
Senior forward Reggie Keely (University Heights, Ohio), who came into the game ranked second in the MAC in field goal percentage (.657), paced the ‘Cats with a career-best 24 points while connecting on a career-high nine field goals on nine attempts. Fellow senior Ivo Baltic (Kansas City, Mo.) added 13 points on 6-of-8 shooting and five rebounds, while redshirt senior Walter Offutt (Indianapolis, Ind.) registered 14 points in 36 minutes on the floor.
For the second-straight game, junior guard Ricardo Johnson (Covington, Ky.) provided a spark off the bench, with a career-best 13 points, six rebounds and a number of hustle plays on both ends of the floor.
Senior guard D.J. Cooper (Chicago, Ill.) distributed a team-high nine assists to go along with seven points. With his second assists of the game, Cooper passed Chris Thomas (Notre Dame) and Pooh Richardson (UCLA) for sole possession of 21st place on the all-time NCAA Division I assists list.
Ohio shot over 50 percent (.509; 27-53) for the fifth-straight home game and overcame a 4-of-17 (.235) performance from 3-point territory. The Green and White forced Toledo to commit 11 second-half turnovers and held a 16-4 advantage in points off turnovers.
Toledo (6-9, 2-2 MAC) scored six of the game’s first 10 points, before two-straight 3-pointers from Offutt gave Ohio a 10-6 lead at the 17:20 mark of the first half. The Rockets battled back to tie the game at 10, but Ohio notched seven of the next nine points to build a 17-12 advantage. Toledo’s Nathan Boothe completed a 3-point play to get the Rockets back within two (22-20) and a baseline drive by Reese Holiday pulled Toledo even with the ‘Cats (24-24) with 7:25 to play in the stanza.
With the score tied at 30, Toledo took its first lead since the 18:17 mark on a 3-pointer by Matt Smith and built its advantage to six (36-30), before a lay-in by Keely pulled the ‘Cats back within three points. The Rockets held a 36-33 advantage at halftime.
Ohio raced out of the gate to score the first eight points of the second half and led 41-36  at the 17:42 mar. Toledo moved back within one at 49-48, but Ohio responded with a 9-0 run - punctuated by a monster Baltic jam - that put the ‘Cats up 55-48 with 11:43 to play.
Toledo cut it to three (62-59) on a lay-in by Rian Pearson, but Ohio bounced back yet again, this time with five-straight points, to push the lead back to eight (67-59) with 5:13 remaining. Including in that pivotal five-point burst was a deep 3-pointer by sophomore guard Stevie Taylor (Gahanna, Ohio). Taylor took a charge on the next Toledo possession to complete the critical swing for Ohio.
“Three plays in a row he [Taylor] deflects the ball out of bounds, hits the three late in the shot clock and takes a charge,” head coach Jim Christian said. “That sequence changed the game. He’s played really well the past four games and has approached his game with a lot of confidence.”
Keely hit his ninth field goal in nine tries to give the ‘Cats a nine-point advantage (70-61) with 2:34 to go, and after a 3-pointer by Toledo’s Dominique Buckley cut it to six (70-64), the Rockets could not move any closer for the remainder of the contest.
Ohio held Pearson - the MAC’s leading scorer - to 14 points and forced the talented junior to commit seven turnovers (0 assists).
The Green and White improved to 34-2 in their last 36 games inside the Convocation Center.
The ‘Cats now take their unbeaten conference record on the road for a 7 p.m. contest with archrival Miami (Ohio) on Wednesday (Jan. 23) in Oxford. The game will be televised locally on Time Warner Cable SportsChannel. In addition, “Voice of the Bobcats” Russ Eisenstein and Rob Cornelius will call the action live on the Ohio IMG Sports Network powered by Horizon.

Eastern Michigan 65, Miami 58
YPSILANTI, Mich. ( – The Eastern Michigan University men's basketball team broke a 16-game losing streak against Miami University, defeating the RedHawks for the first time since 1997, 65-58, Saturday afternoon, Jan. 19, inside the Convocation Center.

EMU's second-straight conference win gets the team back to .500 (2-2) in Mid-American Conference play. The Eagles also improved to 9-9 on the season with a ninth-straight home victory while knocking off the RedHawks (7-9; 2-2 MAC) for the first time since an 82-77 decision Feb. 6, 1997, at EMU's former basketball home, Bowen Field House.
Derek Thompson (Detriot, Mich. – Melvindale) was one of three Eagles to score in double figures, leading his team with 16 points. Glenn Bryant (Detroit, Mich. – Oak Hill Academy) added 13 points and Daylen Harrison (Akron, Ohio – St. Vincent St. Mary) chipped in with 10. Freshman guard Jalen Ross (Greensboro, N.C. – Greensboro Day) also turned in a solid performance, tallying eight points along with dishing out a career-high eight assists.
EMU shot 51.2 percent, making 22-of-43 shots from the floor including 8-of-17 (47.1 percent) from beyond the arc. The Green and White dominated the boards, 34-24, and scored 17 second chance points.
Will Felder led Miami in scoring and rebounding with a 12-point, nine-board performance. Like the Eagles, the RedHawks made 22 buckets, but attempted eight more, shooting 22-of-51 for a 43.1 field-goal percentage. Miami struggled from three-point range, launching 24 shots while only making six of them. With the loss, MU drops to 7-9 (2-2 MAC) on the season.
Miami started off scoring the first four points of the game, but EMU responded with a 10-0 run that included back-to-back threes from Thompson and Harrison. A RedHawks' three was answered by a Bryant dunk, and Eastern led, 12-7, at the 14:03 mark of the first half.
The Eagles' hot start continued as the Green and White hit consecutive threes, the latter coming as Thompson was fouled on the attempt. The senior guard converted the rare four-point play to increase the EMU lead to nine, 21-12, with 11:59 remaining. In the game's first eight minutes, Eastern made 8-of-12 shots including 4-of-6 from long range.
Miami made four shots from beyond the arc to try to stay within striking distance. However, the Eagles kept up their success from deep, making 7-of-11 threes to lead, 38-25, at the half.
Coming into Saturday's contest, Eastern led the MAC in three-point field goal percentage, making 42.4 percent of its attempts. Not only were seven first-half threes the most EMU has made in one half this season, but they were also the second most Eastern has made in an entire game all season.
Thompson and Harrison led the Eagles with 10 points apiece in the opening half. Bryant scored eight first-half points, and J.R. Sims (Fort Wayne, Ind. – Snider) added a pair of threes for six points. While Ross did not score in the opening stanza, the freshman point guard dished out five assists.
EMU went 15-of-26 in the first half to shoot 57.7 percent from the floor— the second consecutive game the Eagles made over 57 percent of its shots in the opening half. Miami shot 43.5 percent in the first 20 minutes, making 10-of-23 attempts.
Bryant increased the Eagles' lead coming out of the break with a thunderous slam from the baseline. However, the RedHawks scored six straight points to cut the EMU lead to single digits, 40-31, prompting EMU Head Coach Rob Murphy to call timeout with 16:48 remaining in the game.
Da'Shonte Riley (Detroit, Mich. – Detroit Country Day) ended an 11-0 Miami run with an offensive put-back slam, but the RedHawks scored on their next possession to make it a four-point game. Eastern answered with a run of its own, scoring the game's next seven points to make it 49-38 with 11:52 showing on the clock.
Eastern maintained a comfortable lead throughout the next eight minutes, but the RedHawks made things interesting by trimming the lead down to five, 56-51, with just 3:07 left.
Miami made it a 60-58 game with 1:35 left after a three from the corner. Following a RedHawk foul, Ross missed the front end of a one-and-one, giving Miami a chance to tie the game. However, a missed jumper was secured by EMU, and Ross was sent back to the line with 56.7 seconds remaining. This time, Ross converted both free throws to double the difference to four, 62-58.
The EMU defense tightened up, holding Miami scoreless for the rest of the game, winning by a final score of 65-58.
Following two straight conference wins at home, the Eagles hit the road for their next match up at Western Michigan University, Jan. 23, at 7 p.m, in Kalamazoo, Mich., before returning to the friendly confines of the Convocation Center to face Northern Illinois University Saturday, Jan. 26.

Buffalo 68, Bowling Green 65

BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo men's basketball team erased an eight-point halftime deficit to defeat Bowling Green, 68-65, at Alumni Arena on Saturday night. The win snapped the Bulls' four-game losing streak and gave them their first Mid-American Conference win of the season.

Once again, Javon McCrea led UB with 21 points and a career-high 14 rebounds. It was the junior forward's third straight double-double and fourth in the last five games.
Buffalo also got a great performance from freshman point guard Jarryn Skeete who scored a career-high 16 points on 6-of-8 shooting and added six rebounds.
Bowling Green jumped out to a 15-3 lead and held the lead for the entire first half. The Falcons made of 6-of-8 three-pointers in the first stanza to pace their scoring.  Buffalo trailed, 33-25, at the break.
Auraum Nuiriankh helped spark the Bulls second-half comeback. The junior swingman hit a three-pointer and after a pair of McCrea free throws, hit a layup and was fouled. His free throw knotted the game at 35 less than two minutes into the second half.
Bowling Green built its lead back up to 53-44 with 11:43. The Bulls responded with a 14-4 scoring run and when Tony Watson connected on a three-pointer, UB grabbed its first lead since the opening moments of the game, 58-57, with 8:01 left.
The lead would see-saw between teams over the final eight minutes of the game. McCrea then gave Buffalo the lead for good when he took a feed from Nuiriankh and hit a layup to put the Bulls ahead, 65-63, with 31 seconds remaining.
McCrea corralled a Bowling Green miss for his career-best 14th rebound of the night. He was fouled a converted both free throws to give the Bulls a 67-63 lead with 12 seconds left. 
Bowling Green had one last chance, trailing by three points in the waning seconds, but Jordan Crawford's three-point attempt was off the mark.
"Going into the game we talked about the ball finding rhythm. I thought tonight we did a better job of that, particularly in the second half," head coach Reggie Witherspoon said. "I thought the opening minute and a half, two minutes of the second half our guys demonstrated a lot of determination."
Buffalo shot 54 percent in the second half, including 4-of-9 from beyond the arc.
Nuiriankh finished with nine points and Watson added seven for Buffalo. All nine players that saw action scored for UB.
The Bulls will next hit the road and play at Ball State on Wednesday night.


Central Michigan 71, Ball State 57

MOUNT PLEASANT, Mich. - Central Michigan used a solid defensive effort to outlast Ball State and open a three-game Mid-American Conference homestand with a 71-57 league win and its first come-from-behind victory of the season.

The Chippewas (9-8, 2-2 MAC) fought for a 13-2 run in the first eight minutes of the second period to turn their largest deficit of the night-six points-into what was at that time their largest lead of the night, a 48-43 advantage with 11:28 to go. They didn't shoot particularly well during the stretch, hitting 5-of-13 from the field, but they held the Cardinals (7-9, 1-3 MAC) to just 1-of-6 during the run and forced them into six turnovers.
The Cardinals hung around to come as close as three on several occasions and were within five with 3:17 left, but Blake Hibbitts' fourth three-pointer of the game sparked a 7-0 run that put the game out of reach, 66-54, with 1:41 to play. Picking up momentum as the game went on, the Chippewas ended on a 12-3 run over the final three minutes.
Ball State had led 37-35 at the half after hitting six of their 15 long-range attempts, allowing Central Michigan to record its first win this season when trailing at the half. The first period featured six ties and four lead changes. It looked as though the second half was headed in the wrong direction when the Chippewas opened 1-of-8 from the field, but they were able to stay close by forcing the Cardinals into five turnovers in the first four minutes.
The Cardinals turned the ball over a total of 17 times, which the Chippewas turned into 15 points, while giving the ball up just seven times themselves. Olivier Mbaigoto paced the defense and brought the crowd to its feet twice with three key blocks-two to preserve small second-half leads. The first came on a fast-break one-on-one layup, and the second came minutes later when Ball State attempted a dunk coming out of a timeout.
Both teams collected 16 offensive rebounds but Central was able to capitalize on those for 17 points while Ball State had just six second-chance points.
Mbaigoto finished in double-digits for the second straight game, this time with 12 points on 5-of-8 shooting. He was joined in double figures by Kyle Randall's game-high 16 and Hibbitts' 12. Mbaigoto and John Simons each grabbed six rebounds.
"I think that a lot of the publicity, and deservingly so, has gone to Kyle Randall as being a leader of this team, but I think you can look down this roster tonight and make a case for four or five guys being our best player tonight and leading us to victory," said head coach Keno Davis. "As those guys continue to develop, as I believe they will as young players, we could be a tough team by the time the second half of the conference season comes around.
"I am not too sure how good of a ball club we are or how good we could become, but I think in year one when we have so much transition and we have six freshmen in our rotation, that is a good thing. We don't know what our ceiling is.
"We just come out and see how hard we can work. After the game we are going to be disappointed if we lose but more disappointed if we feel like we didn't out-work the other team."

Western Michigan 71, Northern Illinois 34

DeKalb, Ill. - The Western Michigan men's basketball team posted one of the best single-game defensive efforts in the history of the program, and the Broncos defeated the Northern Illinois Huskies 71-34 at the Convocation Center on Saturday evening.  With the win, the Broncos improve to 10-7 on the season, and even their Mid-American Conference record at 2-2.

The Broncos held the Huskies to 11-of-55 (.200) from the field in the game, and the 34 points allowed by the Broncos is the lowest single-game total since a 53-33 victory over Olivet on Nov. 27, 1948.  The 37-point margin of victory is the most since a 109-50 win over Alma on Dec. 4, 2010, and the best against a Division I opponent since an 84-39 victory over Central Michigan on Jan. 29, 2005.
David Brown came off the bench for his second straight double-digit scoring effort, notching 13 points on 3-of-5 shooting from the field and a 5-of-7 performance from the free throw line.  The Broncos shot 19-of-35 (.543) from the field, with Taylor Perry, Austin Richie, and Shayne Whittington each contributing nine points.  Whittington posted 10 rebounds, his third straight double-digit rebounding game.  Connar Tava had a full stat line as well, posting six points, five rebounds, six assists, and one steal.
Brown continued his torrid pace from beyond the three-point line to start the game, giving the Broncos a lead by draining a pair of threes from the right corner.  Brown gave the Broncos a 4-2 lead at 17:59 of the first half when he buried an NBA-range three-pointer from the right side, and hit one on the next trip down to make it 7-2 in favor of the Broncos.  A.J. Avery scored on a lay-up at the 16:22 mark to maintain the five-point lead, and Brown pulled the trigger on a step-back jumper with 14:34 remaining to expand the lead to seven points.
More impressively, though, was the fact that the Broncos shut down the offensive attack of the Huskies for much of the first half, holding NIU without a field goal from the 12:56 mark of the first half until there was 5:21 remaining in the first.  In that time, the Broncos expanded their lead considerably; the deficit reached double-digits at the 9:55 mark when Nate Hutcheson drained a three-pointer from the left corner, and Darius Paul tacked on a pair of free throws to make it 21-8 with 8:26 remaining.  
The largest lead of the half came with 4:36 remaining, when Whittington took a deft post pass from Connar Tava and laid it in to make it 27-11.  Austin Richie drilled a triple from the left corner to make it 30-14 with 1:42 remaining, but the Huskies would cut the lead to 11 points before entering the half.
Whittington took control of the beginning of the second half, scoring four points in the first two minutes and notching a block as the Broncos opened on a 7-0 run.  He grabbed an offensive board at the 19:04 mark and fed Paul in the post, who drew a foul and made the ensuing free throws to make it 33-20.  Whittington would go on to block Antone Christian's lay-up attempt at 18:45 and took it the other way, scoring the lay-up to make it a 15-point game.  Richie capped the 7-0 run for the Broncos when he drilled a three-pointer from the top of the key, making it 38-20 with 17:29 to play.
Brandon Pokley extended the lead to 19 points at the 14:42 mark with a three-pointer from the left corner, and Whittington made it a 20-point game for the first time when he made the first of two free throws.  Perry went on a tear midway through the half, capping his hot streak with a dunk at the 9:19 mark, and Whittington gave the Broncos a 59-28 lead with 6:24 remaining.  Perry tied the Broncos' largest lead of the night with a lay-up with 2:06 remaining, and Avery capped the team's scoring with a lay-up on a slick pass from Tava.