Wednesday's MAC Men's Basketball Results

Updated 1/3/2013


Wednesday's MAC Men's Basketball Results
Kent State 72, Cleveland State 55
Akron 91, Coppin State 63
Ball State 62, Norfolk State 61
Tulsa 63, Buffalo 57
UMass 70, Miami 69
Kentucky 90, Eastern Michigan 38
Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments
Kent State 72, Cleveland State 55
CLEVELAND – Kent State extended its winning streak to four games while closing its non-conference schedule with a 72-55 road victory over Cleveland State on Wednesday.
Randal Holt and Kris Brewer both scored 17 points to lead the Golden Flashes, who improved their record to 9-5 with the start of Mid-American Conference play waiting next week.
More importantly, a new mantra helped Kent State do a better job of handling the pressure of an opponent mounting a second-half charge. Just like Arkansas State and Fairmont State in the Golden Flashes' previous two games, Cleveland State battled back from a double-digit deficit. Kent State pushed its 10-point lead at the half to 14 in the first minute of the second half, only to watch the Vikings battle back to within just two after a pair of free throws by Tim Kamczyc with 16:05 to play.
A technical foul against Kamczyc less than a minute later seemed to take the steam out of the Vikings, offering the Golden Flashes a chance to turn the momentum. In the next 10 minutes, Kent State rebuilt a lead that reached as high as 20 points.
"We've had a theme during the last week where we've talked a lot about the difference between 211 degrees and 212 degrees," said Kent State coach Rob Senderoff. "At 211, water is just hot. But if you turn it up just that one degree to 212 it creates the steam that can move a steamboat or a railroad.
"Tonight, when things got tight, we stepped it up that one degree and that made all the difference."
Free-throw shooting played a big part in the Kent State win. Brewer was a perfect 8-of-8 from the foul line while Holt made all six of his foul shots. As a team, the Flashes shot 76-percent (19-for-25) while Cleveland State struggled to just 42-percent (12-for-25).
"You don't miss 13 free throws and turn the ball over 17 times and think you are going to win a game," said Cleveland State Gary Waters, whose team fell to 8-6.
Brewer provided a big defensive spark for Kent State, helping to hold Vikings sophomore Charlie Lee to just four points on 1-for-8 shooting. The Cleveland State point guard also committed five of his team's 17 turnovers.
"Brewer's defense was a huge key for us," said Senderoff. "He really guarded a very good player in Charlie Lee, and by doing that he really helped our team."
Chris Evans added 11 points and nine rebounds. Another eight rebounds by both Holt and Melvin Tabb helped Kent State win the rebounding battle 35-27.
Kent State tallied assists on 17 of its 23 baskets with a team-high six coming from Tabb in the post.
"We got contributions from everyone who stepped on the floor," said Senderoff. "This was a very good win for our program. It was our last chance to play before the conference schedule starts so it was good to go into league play with a road win against a very good team and a team that is very well coached."
Kent State hosts Toledo on Jan. 9 in the MAC opener for both schools.
Wednesday's win ended a three-game winning streak for Cleveland State in the regional rivalry.
Akron 91, Coppin State 63
AKRON, Ohio – Zeke Marshall scored his 1,000th-career point and three Akron players posted double-doubles as the Akron Zips extended their winning streak to five games thanks to a 91-63 victory over Coppin State at James A. Rhodes Arena on Wednesday night.
The victory was a team effort as three Zips, including Nick Harney (14 points, 11 rebounds), Marshall (13 points, 12 rebounds) and Jake Kretzer (14 points, 12 rebounds) recorded double-doubles against the Eagles. It was the first time in the Division I era (since 1980-81) that Akron had three players record a double-double in the same game.
Harney, Kretzer and Brian Walsh led the Zips in scoring, each with 14 points. Demetrius "Tree" Treadwell pitched in with 13 points and seven boards.
The Zips (9-4) overpowered the Eagles on the boards, 61-32, leading to 18 second-chance points for the Zips.
Troy Franklin led all scorers with 26 points to pace the Coppin State (3-12) offense.
Three minutes into the game, Marshall broke 1,000 career points with a strong rebound followed by a dunk, putting Akron up 6-0.
Akron used height to its advantage as the Zips also recorded five blocks in the first half, three coming from Marshall, who ended the game with four total blocked shots.
After initially struggling to connect with the basket, the Zips improved to close off the first half shooting 39.5 percent from the floor (15-of-38). Akron led 42-27 at halftime thanks to an 18-2 run near the end of the half.
Well-executed full-court pressure from the Zips to start off the second half resulted in back-to-back turnovers and gave Kretzer four of his 14 points. Kretzer went on to join Harney as two Zips recording their first-collegiate double-doubles.
Intense defense from Akron kept the Eagles out of the paint, forcing them to shoot from outside the arc and keeping their shooting percentage down to 29.0 percent from the field (20-of-69), allowing the Zips to maintain a lead of at least 15 points throughout most the game.
This victory marks the fourth time this season the Zips have won by at least 25 points.
The Zips open Mid-American Conference play on Wednesday, Jan. 9, when they play host to Western Michigan (8-5) at James A. Rhodes Arena.  Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET.
Ball State 62, Norfolk State 61
MUNCIE, Ind. -- Jesse Berry's length-of-the-court drive and dish to Majok Majok for a two-handed dunk at the buzzer lifted the Ball State men's basketball team to a 62-61 victory Wednesday over Norfolk State at Worthen Arena.
Ball State (6-6) led by 12 points midway through the second half and then trailed by five in the closing minutes. But the Cardinals' hot 3-point shooting, which carried them most of the night, came through again in the clutch in their final tuneup for Mid-American Conference play.
"We played well in a lot of spurts, and I thought we really established that we could share the ball offensively," Ball State coach Billy Taylor said. "We had really good ball movement; we played very unselfish, and that ended up being the key thing that put us over the top at the end with the drive by Jesse and the unselfish play to find Majok under the rim for the dunk."
Ball State made 12 treys on the night with the duo of Berry and Jauwan Scaife knocking down five each and combining to shoot 10-for-15 from beyond the arc.
The Cardinals went cold for a period in the second half as Norfolk State (6-10) went on a 20-3 run to grab a 55-50 lead with four minutes to play. But Scaife and Tyler Koch hit 3s on Ball State's next two possessions, cutting the lead to 57-56.
Norfolk State pushed its advantage back to 59-56 before Ball State scored four straight points on free throws from Berry and Chris Bond to grab a 60-59 lead. Norfolk State then got four looks at the basket in the final 40 seconds before Rob Johnson was fouled with six seconds remaining. Johnson hit both free throws to put the Spartans back ahead 62-61.
Berry took the inbounds pass and raced up the court heavily defended. He managed to get into the lane  and passed off to a cutting Majok, who threw down a thunderous dunk just before the buzzer sounded. The officials reviewed the play and confirmed Majok scored before time expired.
"When I caught the ball, I was really just thinking about getting it up the floor to give us a chance at a shot," Berry said. "When I passed half court, I saw that I could get in the paint. When I got in the paint, I found Majok on the left and he finished big time."
Berry scored a game-high 21 points, topping the 20-point mark for the fourth time this season and the third time in the past four games. Scaife, who scored 21 points in Ball State's most recent game against IUPUI, finished with 18.
Johnson led four double-figure scorers for Norfolk State with 16 points, followed by Malcolm Hawkins with 15, Pendarvis Williams with 14 and Kievyn Lila-St. Rose with 11. But the other eight Spartans who played combined for just five points.
"I liked our defense for the majority of the game," Taylor said. "I thought we really played tough half-court defense, but then we started to trade baskets with them a little bit in the second half. We still have to understand how to put a team away when we have them down 10 or 12 points.
"But I'm proud of our guys for the character they showed and fighting through some adversity. We made some big shots that helped us get that victory."
Ball State's 12 3-pointers were the most for the Cardinals since they knocked down 14 in a game at Eastern Michigan in March 2006.
Scaife, Berry and Marcus Posley handed out four assists each for a Ball State team that had 15 assists on 21 made baskets and turned the ball over just 12 times against a long Norfolk State defense. Bond led the way on the boards with nine rebounds and Majok added eight.
The Cardinals will now be off for a week before opening MAC play Wednesday, Jan. 9 at Eastern Michigan. The game will be televised by the Ball State Sports Network.
Tulsa 63, Buffalo 57
TULSA, OK - The Buffalo men's basketball team shot a season-low 32.2 percent from the floor on Wednesday night, losing at Tulsa (8-6) 63-57 in the team's final non-conference game of the season. Javon McCrea led the team with 22 points and 11 rebounds for his third double-double of the season, and Will Regan chipped in 13 for UB (5-8).
"We did somethings well, but we didn't sustain them, and a lot of that goes to concentration," head coach Reggie Witherspoon said. "And obviously we didn't shoot the ball well, but they didn't shoot it well either. It was one of those games that you knew was going to go down to the wire. We got some looks late that we didn't convert."
The game started on a poor note, with the team spoiling its first eight possessions with five missed shots and a trio of turnovers to lead to a 9-0 deficit at the first media timeout. The team would respond though, and charge back with an 8-2 run over the following four minutes. From that point on, neither team would lead by more than seven points until the final minute of regulation.
McCrea was unstoppable in the first half, scoring 13 points in 13 minutes over the half, hitting 5-8 shots while the rest of the team would go only 4-16 in the first 20 minutes. Fortunately, Tulsa would do no better, taking just a 26-24 lead to the locker room after turning the ball over nine times and hitting just 11 of 28 shots.
A three pointer by Richie Sebuharara in the team's first possession of the second half gave the team its first lead. Buffalo would hold Tulsa at an arm's length for the next ten minutes of the game before the Golden Hurricane would use a 9-0 run to take the lead back for good with a 49-43 advantage with just over six minutes left in the game.
The second half was marred by fouls on both teams, with Tulsa shooting in the bonus just over six minutes into the half, throwing the pace of the game off for both teams. After shooting under 50 percent from the charity stripe over the past two games, it was free throw shooting that would keep Buffalo in the game, as it hit 15-20 for the game while the Hurricane made 15 on 28 attempts.
McCrea would find himself a victim of triple teams for the second half, and instead turned to rebounding to get his third double-double of the year, scoring nine points and getting seven rebounds in the final half of action. Regan would step in with eight points and five rebounds in support of his frontcourt mate, and Regan and Tony Watson hit three pointers late in the game to keep Buffalo in contention.
Ultimately, Tulsa would hold off the Bulls thanks to 23 free throw attempts in the second half alone, and used 11 second-half offensive rebounds to drain the clock.
The game was tied at 51 with three minutes left in the game, and the Bulls picked a bad time to go cold again, missing five straight shots while Tulsa scored nine unanswered points until Buffalo would score again with 21 seconds left with the game all but settled.
The Bulls will now enter the Mid-American Conference season, with defending conference champion Ohio up first for the team. Buffalo will travel to Athens next Wednesday for a 7 pm tip.
UMass 70, Miami 69
OXFORD, Ohio - Miami University's Will Sullivan had a chance to win just before time expired, but the sophomore missed a tough shot on a transition drive, as Massachusetts hung on for a 70-69 victory Wednesday night at Millett Hall.
The RedHawks' loss marked their first at home this season. MU dropped to 5-7 overall, while the Minutemen (9-3) won their sixth straight.
Allen Roberts led Miami with 21 points, which was two shy of his career high, and finished 7-of-15 from the floor, including 5-of-9 from beyond the arc.
"When it comes to my jump shot, I'm feeling a little bit more boost in my knee and I'm able to explode a little bit more off the ground now," the junior guard said. "I don't know if that's just the season coming along or just me working on it."
UMass' Chaz Williams hit the game-winner, a runner in the lane, with 1:12 to go.
Quinten Rollins had an opportunity to tie the game with 44.3 seconds remaining, but missed the first shot of a 1-and-1 at the line. But even so, the RedHawks still had a chance to win it at the end, as they corralled a rebound with 10 seconds left.
"I had an opportunity to call a timeout when we got the rebound down the stretch right there, but decided not to," MU coach John Cooper said. "Reggie (Johnson) got the rebound and they were in transition defense, so I thought there was an opportunity for us to get a pretty good look and we got right to the backboard."
Cooper continued, "Will just missed it, but he made a lot of plays in the game that kept us in it, so I'll take that play every time."
Sullivan finished with eight points and a team-high seven rebounds.
The Minutemen's superior size and length effected Miami throughout the game, including Sullivan's final shot attempt. UMass outrebounded the RedHawks 48-32.
"Their ability with their length was sensational," Roberts said. "I really didn't expect them to be that long in the perimeter and the post. ... We had to work on adjusting our shots and they deflected some passes with their length and they obviously could get rebounds. Their length was an issue when we got inside in the paint."
One bright spot for Miami down low was Drew McGhee, who had 10 points on 5-of-6 shooting. He also added four rebounds and two assists.
"I had a low-point in the beginning of the season," McGhee said. "I would say not even a slump, but a coma. But, these last few games they've been falling a lot better than they were the first few games of the season and it's feeling good. I just hope they continue to keep falling."
Miami was outscored 32-22 in the paint, but shot 42.6 percent from the field (26-of-61). The hosts were 7-of-25 from downtown and converted 10-of-14 free throws.
Raphiael Putney led UMass in scoring with 20 points. The Minutemen finished shooting 39.1 percent from the field and 33.3 from deep. They were 5-of-8 from the charity stripe.
Will Felder scored 10 points and had four rebounds, while Geovonie McKnight and Johnson both tallied six points.
Trailing 7-3 early on, Roberts heated up from beyond the arc, hitting three treys in just more than three minutes to give Miami a 16-14 lead at the 12:03 mark of the first half. Layups by Reggie Johnson and Will Felder capped off the host's 14-3 run to make it 20-15.
The Minutemen, however, responded with a late run of their own after Roberts and Drew McGhee both picked up their second fouls. UMass finished the half on a 15-6 run and led 37-29 at the break. Jesse Morgan scored UMass' final seven points of the opening half.
In the second half, neither team led by more than three in the final 18 minutes.
The RedHawks continue their four-game homestand and open Mid-American Conference play against Northern Illinois Wednesday, Jan. 9 at 7 p.m. 
Kentucky 90, Eastern Michigan 38
LEXINGTON, Ky. ( – The Eastern Michigan University men's basketball team dropped a 90-38 decision to the defending National Champion University of Kentucky Wednesday evening, Jan. 2, at Rupp Arena.
The Eagles (7-6) opened the scoring but quickly fell behind en route to starting the 2012-13 campaign 0-5 away from the Convocation Center. Redshirt junior Glenn Bryant (Detroit, Mich.-Oak Hill Academy) scored a team-best 10 points for an EMU squad which managed to go just 15-of-62 (24.2 percent) from the floor. Junior Da'Shonte Riley (Detroit, Mich.-Detroit Country Day) also hauled down nine rebounds.
The Wildcats (9-4) put five players in double figures, with Willie Cauley-Stein registering a double-double (11 points, 11 rebounds) and Kyle Wiltjer leading all scorers with 17. Kentucky dominated from outside to the tune of 10-of-26 (38.5 percent) and was 31-of-60 (51.7 percent) overall. From the charity stripe, UK went 18-of-24 (75 percent). The home team also controlled the glass, out-rebounding the Eagles, 52-27. 
Redshirt junior Daylen Harrison (Akron, Ohio-St. Vincent St. Mary) opened the scoring with a three-pointer before the Wildcats rattled off seven points in-a-row to force Head Coach Rob Murphy to take a time out three minutes into the contest. At the 15:40 mark, Harrison broke a streak of 4:06 without an EMU bucket to make it a 9-5 game.
The EMU defense held Kentucky without a field goal through the second media timeout at 11:55, with the only UK points coming by way of a pair of free throws from Alex Poythress. But the Eagles were unable to muster any offense themselves until Bryant filled a mid-range jumper to cut the deficit to 13-7.
Offensive woes continued to plague the Eagles through the middle portion of the half. The Green and White converted only four of its first 17 shots as Kentucky built up a 30-7 lead with 5:22 showing on the clock. Harris broke another EMU scoreless streak at the 6:20 mark with a slam off a Kentucky turnover.
With 20 minutes in the books, Kentucky held a 38-14 lead. The Eagles were held to a 21.4 percent (6-of-28) clip from the floor and 12.5 percent (1-of-8) from downtown.
EMU went to the line just one time as the Wildcats committed just three fouls. Kentucky benefited from a 12-of-16 (75 percent) effort from the charity stripe and added 13 points off of 12 Eastern Michigan turnovers.
At the break, Ryan Harrow led the way offensively with nine points for the Wildcats, while Bryant had five to pace the Eagles.
Fortunes did not turn in the Eagles' favor to start the second half as Kentucky amassed a 15-0 run while EMU failed to convert on its first 10 shots of the frame. Ross chimed in with the Eagles' first score of the half with a three-pointer at the 13:30 mark to break a streak of 8:37 without a basket.
A pair of buckets from freshman Jalen Ross (Greensboro, N.C.-Greensboro Day School), one by Bryant and another from Harrison gave the Eagles a 9-2 run of their own which made the score 56-23, but efficient Kentucky shooting eliminated the chance of a comeback and put the home team even further ahead, 62-23, with 10:37 to play.
Eastern Michigan finished the second half scoring 24 points while allowing 52. Redshirt junior Austin Harper (Grand Haven, Mich.-Grand Haven) turned in a strong second stanza, playing 11 minutes while picking up seven points.
The Eagles wrap up their non-conference slate with a matchup against the University of Massachusetts Saturday, Jan. 5, in Amherst, Mass. Action gets underway at 2 p.m.