Sunday's MAC Men's Basketball Results

Updated 12/30/2012

Sunday's MAC Men's Basketball Results
Akron 62, Princeton 58
Kent State 77, Fairmont 75
Miami 84, Wilmington 67

Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments
Akron 62, Princeton 58
AKRON, Ohio – A sky hook from Zeke Marshall with 1:33 remaining and a defensive stop late in the game was enough to give University of Akron Head Coach Keith Dambrot his 300th career win as the Zips defeated Princeton 62-58 on Sunday at James A. Rhodes Arena.
Marshall's bucket came on an inbounds play with one second left on the shot clock. A screen by Demetrius "Tree" Treadwell helped give Marshall the open look that game Akron (8-4) a 59-56 lead.
Marshall finished with a game-high 17 points to go with four rebounds, two assists and a blocked shot. Nick Harney scored 16 points and had one rebound, one steal and an assist.
Pat Forsythe scored a career-high nine points while adding five rebounds and two blocks. Alex Abreu and Treadwell were also major contributors as Abreu scored ten points and had seven assists, while Treadwell had eight points and six rebounds.
Denton Koon was the Tiger's (5-7) leading scorer with 16 points.
The Zips took the lead with 18 minutes to go in the first half and did not relinquish that lead until Princeton tied the game with less than 20 seconds left in the half. The teams went into the break tied 27-27.
Marshall was Akron's leading scorer of the first half with nine points adding two rebounds, two assists and a block. Harney and Treadwell each scored six points while Princeton's Ian Hummer led all scorers with 10 points.
Akron immediately reaffirmed their lead in the second half. Princeton matched every Akron possession however, never allowing the Zips to lead by more than six in the final 20 minutes.
Princeton took the lead 45-44 with 9:45 remaining in the second half. It was their first lead since the opening exchanges of the game.
Momentum continued to swing back and forth and Akron would not establish dominance until the three-minute mark when Treadwell gave Akron a 57-56 lead. Marshall then hit a desperation hook-shot as the shot clock expired extending the lead to three.
Akron's lead would remain at three until Princeton missed a desperation 3-point field goal attempt with less than 5 seconds left in the game. Marshall was fouled and made one of his two free throws to seal Akron's 62-58 win.
The Zips shot 53.1 percent from the field (26-of-49) and 72.7 percent from the free throw line (8-of-11). However Akron could not find their touch from beyond the arc shooting just 15.4 percent (2-of-13).
Despite being out-rebounded 28-22 by the Tigers, Akron scored 48 of their 62 points in the paint.
Akron will look to extend its winning streak to five games when they take on Coppin State at home on Wednesday, January 2, at 7 p.m. ET.
Kent State 77, Fairmont State 75
KENT, Ohio -- A 27-point night by Chris Evans helped Kent State to a 77-75 win and escape a scare from Division II Fairmont State on Sunday night at the M.A.C. Center. 
The Golden Flashes watched a 17-point lead with 10 minutes to play shrink to just two in the closing seconds. A three-point bid to win by Fairmont State's Isaac Thornton missed with two seconds remaining and Bryson Pope sealed the win with a rebound just before the buzzer.
"We found a way to win, which is good, and it's much better to be 8-5 right now than 7-6," said Kent State coach Rob Senderoff. "My concern for my team is that we had a 17 point lead with 10 minutes to go in the game … And we had a nine point lead against Arkansas State (last week) and couldn't stretch it. Eventually that's going to come back and bite us. It's just a matter of when."
Kent State built its big lead behind 11-of-22 shooting from beyond the three-point arc in the first 31 minutes. That shooting touch turned ice cold in the last nine minutes as the Golden Flashes missed their last five threes to finish 11-for-27.
Fairmont State built a six-point lead in the game's early minutes before Evans came off the bench to drill four consecutive threes.
"I got started kind of early and it felt like it was going to be a good night for me," said Evans, who connected on 9-of-16 from the field and 6-of-10 from the arc. "I got a lot of open looks. My teammates kept finding me on the wings and I was able to knock down those open shots."
Kris Brewer added 11 points off the bench while Deveraux Manley scored 10 for Kent State in his first start of the season.
Fairmont State was led by Isaiah Hill, who scored 19 points before fouling out late in the game. Point guard Malik Stith was one of five players to score in double figures for the Fighting Falcons, finishing with 10 points. Stith also finished with four assists. His ability to penetrate and kick to wide-open shooters played a big part in Fairmont State's comeback. 
After going just 1-of-5 from three-point range in the first half, Fairmont State made six of its 13 threes in the final 20 minutes.
Brendan Cooper and Stevie Browning both added 15 points for the Falcons.
"They made a run, and we knew they would" said Kent State senior Randal Holt, who finished with 10 points. "We had to stay poised and play tough on defense, and answer their run. Chris Evans made some big defensive plays and Bryson Pope got a big rebound. We were able to weather the storm."
Kent State won the rebounding battle 39-29 thanks in large part to Evans, who grabbed nine rebounds to finish just shy of his third double-double of the season.
The Golden Flashes travel to Cleveland State on Jan. 2 in their final non-conference game before opening Mid-American Conference play Jan. 9 at home against Toledo.
Miami 84, Wilmington 67
OXFORD, Ohio - The Miami RedHawks used a 15-0 run over a 2:23 period in the second half after Wilmington College took a 55-54 lead to break open the game and seize an 84-67 victory Sunday afternoon. The RedHawks improve to 5-6 on the season, while the Quakers fall to 4-8.
For the second straight game, Miami's shooting from behind the arc was the difference. The Red and White shot 48 percent (12-for-25) from 3-point range, with the 12 treys made being a season-high.
The RedHawks had five players finish in double-figures in scoring, as they were led by junior guard Allen Roberts and freshman guard Reggie Johnson, who each finished with 16 points.
Three-pointers from Roberts and Johnson were part of a fast start that saw Miami jump to an 11-6 advantage. Wilmington fought back with a 16-9 run to take a 22-20 lead with 11:36 to go in the half. The lead was be short lived as back-to-back 3-pointers from Johnson and junior forward Jon Harris helped Miami go in front, 28-24, with 8:51 to go.
Another 3-pointer from Johnson, along with a dunk by junior forward Will Felder and a jumper from sophomore guard Will Sullivan gave the RedHawks their largest lead of the half at 35-27 at the 2:46 mark. The Quakers fought back and closed the frame on a 7-1 run to cut the halftime deficit to two, 36-34.
Johnson led Miami with nine points in the first half, while the 'Hawks had seven 3-point baskets in the period.
Wilmington reclaimed the advantage with a 3-pointer to begin the second half. The lead changed hands five more times before a trey from Brandon Candella put the Quakers up 55-54 with 12:46 remaining in the contest. Freshman guard Geovonie McKnight answered right back with a jumper, while Felder hit a pair of jumpers as part of a 15-0 run that gave Miami a 69-55 advantage at the 9:53 mark. The RedHawks eventually pushed the advantage to 23 at 84-61 before coasting to the 84-67 win.
Miami finished the game shooting 48.1 percent (25-for-52). In addition to Roberts' and Johnson's 16 apiece, Felder finished with 12, while Sullivan and Harris each had 10. The RedHawks had 19 assists, led by junior guard Quinten Rollins with seven. Candella led the Quakers with 16 points.
The RedHawks return to action on Wednesday, Jan. 2 when they host Massachusetts at 7 p.m.