Saturday's MAC Men's Basketball Results

Updated 12/15/2012

Saturday's MAC Men's Basketball Results
Ball State 80, South Dakota 73
Winthrop 50, Ohio 49
Detroit 80, Akron 73
Illinois-Chicago 74, Eastern Michigan 48

Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments

Ball State 80, South Dakota 73

VERMILLION, S.D. -- Jesse Berry led the Ball State men's basketball team with 22 points Saturday night and fellow guard Marcus Posley scored a career-high 20 as the Cardinals earned their second consecutive win over South Dakota, 80-73.

Ball State (5-4) defeated the Coyotes (4-7) a week ago in Muncie and used strong second-half shooting performance Saturday at the DakotaDome to grab the second game of the home-and-home.
It was the third straight win for Ball State, which continues non-conference play Tuesday with a short trip to West Lafayette, Ind., for a 7 p.m. tipoff at Purdue in an ESPN3 game.
Berry scored 18 of his 22 points in the second half Saturday, leading the charge for a Cardinals team that shot 53.6 percent from the floor over the final 20 minutes. Ball State made good on 5-of-6 attempts from 3-point range in the second half.
The Cardinals led 29-24 at the half and then both teams picked up their offensive production after the break. There were five ties and two lead changes in the second half before Ball State took the lead for good on a 3-pointer from Jauwan Scaife with 4:37 to play.
It was the first of three straight possessions with 3-pointers for the Cardinals. Posley knocked down the next two and Ball State's lead was 63-58 with 3:29 left.
South Dakota cut the lead to 63-62 on a Karim Rowson lay-in less than a minute later, but Ball State junior forward Chris Bond quickly responded with a 3-point play on the other end. The Ball State lead never shrunk to fewer than four points after that, and the Cardinals closed the game out at the foul line.
Ball State survived a 24-point night from South Dakota's leading scorer, Juevol Myles, who scored only three points in the last meeting between the teams. Myles got to the free throw line 16 times and made 15 of them. As a team, the Coyotes shot 25-for-29 at the line.
Brandon Bos and Rowson also scored in double figures for South Dakota with 17 and 13 points, respectively.
Ball State junior post player Majok Majok recorded his fourth double-double of the season  with 11 points and 13 rebounds. Posley finished his career night with a game-high five assists and turned the ball over just one time. Scaife handed out four assists, while Bond notched four steals.
Junior forward Tyler Koch saw his first action of the season after missing the first eight games to injury. He grabbed three rebounds in his first two minutes on the court.

Winthrop 50, Ohio 49

ATHENS, Ohio - The Ohio University men's basketball team (7-3) saw its 16-game home winning streak come to an end Saturday afternoon, as the Winthrop Eagles escaped the Convocation Center with a 50-49 victory.

Trailing 47-42 with 3:31 remaining in the game, the Bobcats rallied to tie the score at 49 with less than a minute to play, but a free throw by the Eagles' Derrick Henry with 4.7 seconds remaining sealed the victory for Winthrop.
Senior forward Reggie Keely (University Heights, Ohio) led the Bobcats with 14 points, while senior guard D.J. Cooper (Chicago, Ill.) added eight points, all in the second half, and three assists.
Ohio limited Winthrop to just 32.7 percent shooting (16-49) from the floor, but could not overcome a 36.0 percent (18-50) effort on the offensive end. The Bobcats outscored the Winthrop bench, 31-7, for the contest, but committed a season-high 18 turnovers in the game.
The two teams played to a 7-7 tie in the first eight minutes of action, before Ohio used a 5-0 run to build a 12-7 advantage at the 12:04 mark of the opening half. A nice finish from Keely kept the Bobcats in front by five at 16-11, but the Eagles responded with a 6-0 run to take a 17-16 lead with 5:30 to play in the half.
Sophomore guard Stevie Taylor knocked down a 3-pointer to put Ohio back in front by three (21-18) and the Bobcats took a 25-20 lead into the break after a late lay-in by Keely.
Keely posted 12 of the Bobcats 25 first-half points and made all six of his field goal attempts. The Bobcats shot 45.8 percent from the field (11-24) in the half and limited the Eagles to a 31.8 percent mark (7-22), including a 1-for-8 performance from 3-point territory (.125).
Winthrop scored the first nine points of the second half to build a 29-25 advantage, before the streak was broken by a three-point play by junior guard Ricardo Johnson at the 15:26 mark. A 3-pointer by Andre Smith gave Winthrop its largest lead of the game (35-28), before triples by junior guard Nick Kellogg and junior forward T.J. Hall moved the Bobcats back within two at 38-36 with 10:59 remaining in the contest.
The Eagles led by five (49-44) with 2:57 to play in the game until Cooper connected on a 3-pointer to cut the advantage to two. Cooper would then go on to tie the game at 49 apiece on a turn-around lay-in with 35 seconds to go.
On the next Winthrop possession, Henry was fouled with less than five seconds remaining on the clock and connected on one of two free throws. Cooper's last second 3-pointer was no good and the Eagles came away with the 50-49 victory.
The Bobcats return to action on Wednesday (Dec. 19) with a road contest against the University of Massachusetts. Tip-off is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.

Detroit 80, Akron 73

DETROIT – The Akron Zips closed out a tough road schedule to start the 2012-13 campaign with an 80-73 loss at Detroit on Saturday afternoon at Calihan Hall.

Despite a career-high 20 points from Demetrius "Tree" Treadwell, the Zips could not overcome 19 turnovers leading to 31 Titan points. The game ended a stretch of six games on the road in the first eight games of the season.
For the game, Akron (4-4) shot 53.8 percent from the floor (28-of-52) and 40.0 percent from long range (6-of-15). The Zips connected on just 11-of-22 from the charity stripe (50.0 percent).
Detroit (6-4) closed the game connecting on 41.1 percent from the floor (23-of-56) and 38.1 percent from behind the arc (8-of-21). The Titans out-rebounded the Zips 37-30 and committed 12 turnovers.
Detroit's Ray McCallum led all scorers with 21 points.
In addition to 20 points, Treadwell led the Zips with eight boards and had one assist. Chauncey Gilliam was the only other Zip in double figures, pitching in with 16 points.
Detroit scored the first four points of the second half to grab its first lead of the game (37-36), but the advantage would be shot-lived as Akron used a 6-0 run to go back up 42-37 by the 17:51 mark.
The Titans would respond, chipping away at the Zips' lead before grabbing their largest advantage of the game at 50-46 with 12:57 remaining. However, two-straight buckets by Nick Harney and a 3-pointer by Gilliam, plus a Detroit free throw, would tie the game at 51-51 with 11:58 left.
Akron would keep the pressure on Detroit, keeping a six-point lead over the next few minutes by responding to each Titan bucket.
A McCallum lay-up closed the game with 59-58 at the 8:14 mark, but Gilliam's fourth 3-pointer of the game on UA's next possession pushed Akron back in front by four (7:33).
Jason Calliste put Detroit back on top with 4:41 remaining with three-straight free throws (69-68) and the Titans would push their run to 10-0 (73-68) to force an Akron timeout with 3:07 left in the game. The Zips would close the gap to three (73-70) but would not be able to overcome the deficit.
The Zips opened the game on a 10-0 run, forcing the Titans to call an early timeout. UD's Nick Minnerath scored the first Titan points at the 16:25 mark. Treadwell keyed the run with six of UA's first 10 points.
Akron kept the pressure on Detroit, holding a nine-point advantage at the under-12 media timeout (22-13). Seven-of-nine Zips to see action in the first eight minutes had at least two points as UA was shooting 60.0 percent from the floor (9-of-15).
Detroit closed the gap to 32-29 with 5:08 remaining in the first half, but a Pat Forsythe lay-up pushed the Akron lead back to five (34-29) heading into the final four minutes.
The Titans would force the Zips to call their first timeout of the half after cutting the UA lead to 33-32 with 1:52 remaining. However, the Akron defense would get a stop and Treadwell would get a tough lay-up with 2.4 seconds left to send UA into the locker room up 36-33
Treadwell led all scorers with 12 points in the first half as Akron shot 50.0 percent from the floor (14-of-28) and 40.0 percent from long range (2-of-5). The Akron defense held Detroit to 37.0 percent shooting (10-of-27), but the Titans connected on 5-of-10 from behind the arc and forced eight Zips' turnovers.
The Zips return home on Tuesday, Dec. 18, to open a six-game home stand against Arkansas-Pine. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET and will follow the women's game against Dayton.

Illinois-Chicago 74, Eastern Michigan 48
CHICAGO, Ill. ( – In a battle between two of the best defensive teams in the country, the Eastern Michigan University men's basketball team fell  on the road in the Windy City to the University of Illinois-Chicago Flames, 74-48, Saturday afternoon, Dec. 15 at UIC Pavilion.

Glenn Bryant (Detroit, Mich.-Oak Hill Academy) led EMU in scoring and rebounding in the loss, notching 10 points and grabbing seven rebounds. J.R. Sims (Fort Wayne, Ind.-Snider) scored nine points, and Antoine Chandler (Windor, Ontario-W.F. Herman Secondary) added a career-high six points off the bench for the Green and White, who fall to 6-3 on the season. The Eagles ended the contest with a 33.9 shooting percentage.
Former Eagle and Current UIC guard Daniel Barnes scored a career-high 30 points to lead UIC, shooting 6-of-13 from three point range. UIC shot 12-of-29 from beyond the arc including 9-of-13 in the second half. Fellow guard Gary Talton netted a dozen for the Flames as they improve their record to 9-1. UIC shot 17-of-28 in the second half to shoot 46.3 percent from the floor for the game.
Surprisingly, both teams got off to fast starts as both teams hit 4 of their first 7 shots. Barnes hit two threes, giving UIC an early 10-8 cushion. Jalen Ross (Greensboro, N.C.-Greensboro Day School) nailed a three to give the Eagles the lead; however, the Flames answered as Barnes converted the old-fashioned three point play to give the lead back to his team. On the next UIC offensive possession, Barnes hit two more free-throws, giving him 10 points and UIC a 14-11 advantage with 13:11 remaining in the first half.
Derek Thompson's (Detroit, Mich.-Melvindale) jumper made it 16-15 in favor of UIC at the 10:44 mark in the opening half. The game slowed down immensely as both teams' defenses settling in, and the offenses struggling to get any shots to fall. The game's next point would not come until over six minutes later when UIC's Gary Talton was intentionally fouled on a breakaway. Maintaining possession of the basketball, Barnes drilled another three to give the Flames a five point lead, 20-15 with 3:47 to go in the opening stanza.
With the Eagles trailing, 24-15, with 1:30 remaining in the first twenty minutes, Da'Shonte Riley (Detroit, Mich.-Detroit Country Day) finally ended EMU's nine minute scoring drought with a thunderous dunk as he was fouled. Riley missed his free throw, but Eastern kept the ball after UIC knocked it out of play. Riley took advantage of the second chance opportunity with a turnaround jumper from fifteen feet, and EMU went into halftime trailing 24-19.
EMU outshot (37.5 percent-30.8 percent) and outrebounded (20-16) UIC in the first half, but it was the Flames' conversion of 12 points off 11 turnovers that gave them the lead at the break.
The Eagles held UIC to 3-of-16 shooting from beyond the arc in the first half, but the Flames came out on fire to start the final twenty minutes. UIC hit its first four attempts as Barnes drained two more from long range along with Talton and Hayden Humes to give UIC a double-digit lead, 36-24 with 15:27 remaining in the game.
The Flames continued to be blistering from downtown, as a 10-2 run with help from another pair of treys, increased the difference to 20 and prompted EMU Head Coach Rob Murphy to take a timeout.
Following the timeout, Eastern responded with back-to-back buckets, but the Flames continued to find success on their side of the floor, keeping the game out of reach by outscoring the Eagles 50-29 in the second half.
EMU will be back in action with a pair of games next week. The Eagles will travel down the road to Ann Arbor to take on the No. 3 ranked University of Michigan Wolverines in the Battle of Washtenaw County, Dec. 20. The Green and White will then return home, Dec. 22, for an afternoon slate against in-state rival Oakland University with a 4 p.m. tip from the Convocation Center.