Sunday's Field Hockey Results

Updated 10/28/2012

Courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments

Sunday's Field Hockey Scoreboard - 10/28
Ball State 3, Bellarmine 0
University of Michigan 1, Central Michigan 0 

Ball State 3, Bellarmine 0
- The Ball State field hockey team (4-14, 0-5 MAC) earned a shutout victory on Senior Day against the Bellarmine Knights Sunday afternoon at the BSU Turf Field. Freshman Allie White (Kettering, Ohio/Fairmont) led the Cardinals with two goals.

"There is no better way to go out than with a win," said head coach Beth Maddox. "The goal for today was to go out and play together and finish the season as a team."

White got the Cardinals on the board in the second minute of the game off an assist from senior Marisa Weachter (Manheim, Pa./Manheim Central). The freshman netted another goal 12 minutes later, this time getting an assist from Tarel Teach (Virginia Beach, Va./Ocean Lakes). Teach got a goal at the 14:37 mark off an assist from Natalie Jardell (Granville, Ohio/Granville).
Freshmen Shelby Henley (Novi, Mich./Novi) and Maddi Elliott (Louisville, Ky./Sacred Heart) earned their first combined shutout of the season. Henley made two saves in the first half, while Elliott managed three in the second frame.
The Cardinals outshot the Knights 21-10 and held the advantage in saves 6-4. Bianca Velez (Virginia Beach, Va./Floyd E. Kellam) made a defensive save for BSU.
Ball State Athletics would like to congratulate Devon Bell and Marisa Weachter on four years of dedication. Good luck in the future!
 You can keep up with all the action by following @BallStFHockey on Twitter, liking "Ball State Field Hockey" on Facebook and checking
University of Michigan 1, Central Michigan 0 
MOUNT PLEASANT - The Central Michigan field hockey team battled to the very last seconds with No. 14 Michigan in the senior class’ last home match, but fell to the Wolverines in a closely fought 1-0 loss Sunday afternoon at the CMU Field Hockey Complex.
In her final appearance at the CMU Field Hockey Complex and the 2012 regular season finale, senior midfielder Erin Dye had an opportunity to send the Chippewas (7-11, 3-2 MAC) into overtime with the Wolverines (13-5) on a shot taken just six seconds before the end of regulation, but the attempt was wide.
After allowing a breakaway goal to Michigan’s Aisling Naughton from Liesl Morris in the fifth minute for an early 1-0 disadvantage, the Chippewas played strong throughout the remaining 65 minutes to keep the match within one goal.
Dye had an opportunity to tie the match in the 17th minute when she played into the circle and had a shot blocked, corralled the rebound and took a second shot that was saved by the Michigan goalkeeper.
Just three minutes later sophomore forward Mary Alice Moore took a shot that was wide.
The defense, led by senior backs Emily Girasole and Brittany Burga and anchored by senior goalkeeper Anastasia Netto, frustrated the Wolverine offense for much of the game following their early goal. Michigan did not score after halftime and took just four shots in the second half, three of which were saved by Netto. Junior back Simone Lazar saved the fourth shot on the goal line.
The match served as senior day for Dye, Girasole, Burga, Netto and midfielder Erica Garwood.
Michigan did not score on a penalty corner throughout the match, despite taking eight to the Chippewas’ one.
The postseason will begin Friday at 2:30 p.m. in Oxford, Ohio, as the Chippewas get a rematch with Kent State, who defeated them 1-0 in double-overtime on Saturday.