Friday's MAC Women's Soccer Recap

Updated 10/19/2012

Courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments 

Friday's Women's Soccer Scoreboard - 10/19
Ball State 1, Bowling Green 0
Eastern Michigan 1, Buffalo 0
Northern Illinois 1, Kent State 0
Miami (Ohio) 1, Central Michigan 0
Toledo 2,  Ohio 1
Western Michigan Akron 


Eastern Michigan 1, Buffalo 0
BUFFALO, N.Y. ( — The Eastern Michigan University women's soccer team clinched a spot in the 2012 Mid-American Conference tournament with a 1-0 triumph over the University at Buffalo Friday evening, Oct. 19. Sophomore Bianca Rossi scored the deciding goal in the 75th minute and freshman goalkeeper Megan McCabe recorded her first-career victory and shutout.

The Eagles (9-6-1; 6-3-0 MAC) are guaranteed a top-eight seed in the conference and qualify for the postseason for the first time since 2010. By virtue of a loss by Kent State University Friday evening, the Eagles moved into third place in the MAC behind only Miami University and Central Michigan University.
Rossi's goal was her seventh of the season and fourth game-winning tally of 2012. She pulls into a tie with fellow sophomore Angela Vultaggio for the team lead in points with 18. Freshman Megan Trapp earned her third point of the season when her crossing attempt deflected off the hands of Buffalo goalkeeper Ainsley Wheldon and found Rossi.
In goal, McCabe started for the first time in her career and made her second-straight appearance in place of an injured Jenna O'Dell. McCabe made seven saves and thwarted several UB scoring chances especially in the opening half.
The Bulls (4-11-2; 2-6-1 MAC) outshot the Eagles, 15-11, with both sides registering seven shots on goal. UB was held off the scoreboard for a second-consecutive contest and remain outside of the top-eight in the MAC.
Buffalo recorded the first scoring chances of the game, as a corner kick was successfully defended by the Eagles in the first minute. McCabe then came up with a save in the ninth minute to keep UB off the scoreboard.
Vultaggio was dangerous in the Bulls' zone with three shots (two on goal) in an eight-minute span. The Chesterfield, Mich. native's first pair of shots were saved by Wheldon, with the third sailing over the goal. Both sides traded shots for the remainder of the first half, but neither team was able to notch the opening goal.
In the 74th minute, Rossi returned to the game after a short rest on the bench. Rossi's presence in the game paid off almost instantly, as she followed a cross from Trapp off the hands of the goalkeeper and tapped the ball into the empty cage.
Eastern Michigan survived a final late push when the Bulls were awarded a corner kick. Sophie Therien played the cross into the box where Katie Roberts was waiting. Roberts' header missed high over the crossbar as the Eagles went on to the one-goal victory.
The Eagles wrap up the final weekend of the regular season Sunday, Oct. 21, with a 1 p.m. road contest against the University of Akron.
from Zoeller Field.

Toledo 2,   Ohio 1
ATHENS, OH - Junior Rachel MacLeod scored a pair of first-half goals to lift Toledo to a 2-1 victory over Ohio on Friday at Chessa Field. With the win, the Rockets' (7-9-1 overall, 5-3-1 MAC) have secured a spot in the upcoming Mid-American Conference for an eighth consecutive season.

MacLeod tallied her first multi-goal effort of the season and fourth in her collegiate career to help the Midnight Blue & Gold register its sixth straight triumph over the Bobcats (7-8-1, 3-4-1 MAC).
The 2011 MAC Offensive Player of the Year opened the scoring at the 9:57 mark. Off a corner kick, the ball was bouncing around the box and she was able to redirect it into the back of the net for her first score in the last nine matches. Sophomore Meghan Topolewski was credited with the assist.
The Rockets continued to apply large amounts of pressure on the Bobcats' defense, and MacLeod found the back of the net one more time at 25:16. The two-time All-MAC performer capitalized on an Ohio turnover and beat the last line of the Ohio defense to tally her team-high fifth goal in 2012.
Unfortunately for the Rockets, their two-goal advantage did not last long as Ohio's Cat Rogers made the score 2-1 on her team-best sixth tally at 26:42. Teammate Veronica Rock started the play with a shot that hit the post, before Rogers knocked home the rebound to make it a one-goal difference at the intermission.
In the second half, UT posted an 8-1 advantage in shots but was unable to extend its lead any further.
The Rockets finished with a 21-3 edge in shots and 4-1 cushion in corner kicks. MacLeod led the way with five shots, followed by senior Rachael Kravitz and freshman Megan Connor with four shots each.
In goal, sophomore Kelsey Borowitz played all 90 minutes and did not have to make a save to record her fifth win of the season.
Toledo will look to continue today's momentum against MAC East Division foe Kent State on Sunday, Oct. 21. The opening whistle against the Golden Flashes is slated for 1:00 p.m. from Zoeller Field.

Ball State 1, Bowling Green 0
Skylar Chew scored with just 35 seconds left in the second overtime period, lifting host Ball State University to a 1-0 win over the Bowling Green State University women's soccer team Friday afternoon (Oct. 19).  The Mid-American Conference match was held at the Briner Sports Complex.

The win improves BSU's record fo 8-5-4 overall and 5-2-2 in MAC action, while the Falcons dropped to 1-15-1 and 0-8-1, respectively.
The result put a damper on a stellar game by Falcon freshman Jenna Underwood, who made a career-high 12 saves in goal.  The save total nearly doubled her previous high of seven stops, set in last weekend's Buffalo match.
Underwood’s save total was the highest by a BGSU player in over four years, and was just one away from matching the school record for saves in a MAC game.
On a cold, rainy day against Ball State, Underwood had seven saves in the second half alone, along with three in the opening period and one in each of the two overtime sessions.  Even on the winning play, the Falcon 'keeper made a difficult save just prior to the goal.
That goal came after a BGSU foul in the defensive end of the pitch.  The Cardinals' Pavla Benyrova took the free kick, and played a diagonal ball into the box.  Chew, one of a number of players running toward the goal, got a head on the ball to redirect it on net, but Underwood made the point-blank save in traffic.  The rebound, however, came back to Chew, who knocked it home in the 110th minute of play.
The Cardinals had a total of 32 shots in the match, including no fewer than 19 over the final 10 minutes of regulation and the overtimes.  Underwood was nothing short of spectacular during that stretch, making a nice save on a shot by Maggie Brown with under eight minutes left in the second half, then making no fewer than three stops in a span of just over a minute.
That sequence began when a corner kick by Amanda Dreyfus found the head of Victoria Jacobs with two and a half minutes left in regulation.  The header by Jacobs forced Underwood to go down to the ground to make the save, and the 'keeper grabbed the ball to avoid giving up a rebound with two BSU players lurking nearby.
Then, with 1:15 left in the second period, Underwood made back-to-back stops.  First, she parried a hard shot by Nicole Pembleton from the left side.  The rebound went to Michelle Blok on the other side of the box, and Blok hit a scorcher toward net.  Underwood, however, made a diving effort to her right to save the shot at the far post and send the match to overtime.
Early in the first OT period, after the Falcons' lone corner kick of the day, a counterattack by the Cardinals led to a two-on-none breakaway.  Pembleton came toward the box with Brown on her right and only Underwood to beat.  But, the BG goalie left her line, diving at the feet of Pembleton to get a hand on the ball.  The ball bounded toward the end line on the right side of goal, and Brown caught up to it before it went out of bounds, but was unable to put a follow try on frame.
The home team had three more shot attempts over the final five minutes of the first OT period, and BSU fired no fewer than seven shots in the second extra session.  Those seven shots did not include a corner kick that curved toward net and was blocked by BG senior Leah Johnson.
While the Cardinals had a 32-7 advantage in shot attempts on the rainy afternoon, the Falcons enjoyed the better of the play for several stretches.  Early in the second period, a BGSU cross was blocked out of the box by a Ball State defender. The ball came to sophomore Ashley Garr, approximately 22 yards from goal.  Garr settled the ball and hit a volley that went over the head of BSU 'keeper Aubrey Buehler and rang off the crossbar.  A follow try by junior Kaitlyn Tobin went wide.
With roughly 11 minutes left in regulation, sophomore Kaylee Draper played a diagonal ball into the box, where sophomore Sidney Huth and Tobin were waiting.  Huth and a BSU backliner battled for the ball, and Tobin jumped in to steal the ball and fire a quick shot that went just wide.
Tobin led the Falcons with a career-high five shots, putting two on goal.  Garr had BG's other two shot attempts on the day, including her volley off the bar.  For the home team, Pembleton had six shots, while Brown, Jacobs and Jasmine Moses had four apiece.  Buehler made two saves in goal for the Cardinals.
The Falcons now prepare for the final road match of the regular season,  heading to Oxford, Ohio, for a Sunday afternoon (Oct. 21) match against league-leading Miami University.  The RedHawks are 15-2-0 overall and a perfect 9-0-0 in the MAC after a win at Central Michigan on Friday afternoon.  Kickoff for Sunday's match is set for 1:00 p.m. at the Miami Soccer Field.

Northern Illinois 1, Kent State 0
KENT, Ohio - Freshman Kate Wirthlin (Mequon, Wis./Homestead) recorded her first collegiate game-winning goal in the 71st minute of play Friday afternoon to lead Northern Illinois over Kent State, 1-0. The Huskies now have 11 points in the Mid-American Conference standings, only three points behind Kent State (14).

"We played with a lot of heart and at a high work rate today," said Head Coach John Ross after the match, "After our loss Sunday, I challenged the girls and they worked very hard all week and to put that work into action made me very proud as a coach today."
The Golden Flashes (10-4-2, 5-3-1 MAC) controlled the first half of play with their possession, outshooting the Huskies (7-7-2, 3-4-2 MAC) 4-0 in the stanza and leading in corner kicks, 2-1. Goalkeeper Amy Carr made three saves in the first half to keep the match deadlocked 0-0.
Shortly after the start of the second half, senior Shelbi Johnson (Bolingbrook/Neuqua Valley) fired NIU's first shot on net, forcing Stephanie Senn to make her only save of the match. Kent State's aggressive offensive play continued in the second half as it recorded three shots and two corner kicks before the Huskies would get back into the attacking third with a pair of shots off frame in the 58th and 59th minutes.
With the team's trading play between the 60th and 70th minutes of the match, a slew of substitutions took place. Wirthlin stepped onto the pitch in the 68th minute for sophomore Allie McBride (Naperville/Neuqua Valley) as the center attacking midfielder.
Less than two and half minutes into her time off the bench, the Huskies were on the attack with freshman Nicole Gobbo (Bartlett) in possession of the ball on the right side of the goal and a group of NIU attackers in position inside the 18-yard box.
With other Huskie attackers drawing attention from the KSU defense, Gobbo slotted a ball into Wirthlin 10-yards from net and Wirthlin finished the ball into the right side of the net for her second goal of the season, lifting NIU 1-0 over Kent State with 19:56 remaining on the clock.
"It was a great individual effort by Kate to get that goal," added Ross, "Gobbo was creating havoc today on the ball in her first start of the year and she did a good job to find Kate and get us the goal."
The Golden Flashes tested Carr three more times in the match but were unable to breakthrough as the Hemel Hempstead, England native finished with a season-high eight saves in the match. Courtney Ksiazek (Naperville/Neuqua Valley) nearly gave the Huskies their second goal of the match in the 83rd minute when she fired a shot that ricocheted off the crossbar.
Northern Illinois finished the match with two shots on frame and five in the match, while Kent State fired 18 shots, nine on frame. The clean sheet was NIU's sixth of the season and the most by an NIU team since 2008, when it recorded nine.
The Huskies return to action Sunday afternoon at Ohio. Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m. Central time. 
Miami (Ohio)  1, Central Michigan 0
Miami University freshman Haley Walter scored 30 seconds into double overtime to lift the RedHawks to a 1-0 victory over Central Michigan Friday afternoon at the CMU Soccer Complex, clinching Miami at least a share of the 2012 Mid-American Conference regular-season title.
More information to come.


Western Michigan 1, Akron 1

Recap coming soon