Wednesday's MAC Men's Soccer Results

Updated 10/17/2012

Courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments

Wednesday's Men's Soccer Scoreboard - 10/17
Albany 2,  Hartwick
Detroit Mercy 2, Western Michigan
Northern Illinois at Valparaiso 7:30 PM
Albany 2,  Hartwick 1
ONEONTA, NY – Host Hartwick College held a one-goal halftime lead after a dominating performance in the first half but let the game slip away in the second in a 2-1 setback on Wednesday night on Elmore Field. Freshman Marc Russell (Glasgow, Scotland/Woodfarm HS) gave ’Wick the lead in the 31st minute as the Hawks held a 10-5 edge in shots in the opening 45 minutes. The Great Danes put three shots on frame in the second half and scored on two of them within 16 minutes of each other for the victory.
Hartwick drops to 4-7-2 overall with the loss. Albany improves to 5-9 with the victory, which is its third straight.
The Hawks came out firing as they outshot the visitors by a 5-0 margin over the opening 16 minutes of action. Freshman back David Styles (Bognor Regis, England/St. Phillip Howard) had the first good scoring chance seven minutes in after an Albany foul 25 yards from goal. He swung a left-footed shot up over the Great Dane wall to the near post but UA goalkeeper Tim Allen was able to make the tough stop.
Four minutes later, Russell dribbled into the box and had a decent look at the goal but his shot went right at Allen, who made the save.
 In the 27th minute, senior forward Cleyon Brown (Kingston, Jamaica/Berkshire School) had another chance for the Hawks. Following a corner, a back heel from a ’Wick player found Brown with his back to goal eight yards away. Brown was able to turn and get a shot off but again Allen was there to turn it away.
Albany’s best chance of the half came off a corner in the 27th minute. Phillip Persson served the ball into the Hartwick box and Thomas Manz met it on the run but his header slipped just wide of the far post.
Finally the Hawks broke through at the 30:21 mark for the lead. Russell Oost-Lievense (Westport, CT/Staples HS) played a short pass to Brown who carried the ball into the box on the right side. Nearing the end line, he played the ball back across the goal mouth to Russell who was there to finish for his third tally of the season.  
Early in the second half, Hartwick nearly made it 2-0 inside of seven minutes. Forward Jason Keefe (Springfield, MA/Springfield Central) collected the ball in the Albany box with his back to goal. He turned and fired off a shot but a Great Dane defender got a piece of the shot forcing a corner. 
Just five minutes later, Albany got the equalizer. Roughly 35 yards from the Hartwick net, Albany’s Quintel Gates, who had just entered the game four minutes prior, won a header and nodded the ball to teammate Ivan Martinez. He out-muscled a Hartwick back for the ball and broke in alone from 22 yards away and slotted the tying goal with a low shot past goalkeeper Tom Buckner (Oxford, England/Henley College).
The Danes had another chance six minutes later with a blast from Brandon Wilson from outside the box. Buckner made the save and recovered the rebound to quell another UA opportunity.
Hartwick had two chances over the next eight minutes. The first stemmed from some good ball movement from the Hawks as Russell go the ball to Keefe on the right side of goal but his shot went just wide of the near post. Later, a cross to the far side was saved on the end line by ’Wick’s Chris Walter (Snyder, NY/Nichols School) who slipped a pass back to Keefe inside the six-yard box. Allen, however, came up with the stop, his fourth and final of the night.
 Thirty second later, the Albany comeback was complete. Pomare Te Anau sent a through ball to Wilson who took a few touches and drove a low far-post shot past Buckner for the 2-1 edge.
 The Hawks had much of the ball possession over the final 18 minutes of the game but they were never able to generate any solid scoring opportunities and the Danes emerged with the victory.
 The victory is Albany’s second straight on Elmore Field after a 1-0 win in 2010. The Hawks falls to 8-2-1 all-time against the Danes.
 Hartwick gets back to Mid-American Conference play this Sunday with an important game at Western Michigan. Kickoff is at 2 p.m.
Detroit Mercy 2, Western Michigan 1
- Western Michigan couldn’t hold off a late surge by Detroit, as the Broncos fell in their final non-conference game of the regular season, 2-1. The game was played on artificial turf at MacKenzie Field on the campus of Kalamazoo College due to heavy rains affecting the natural grass field at the WMU Soccer Complex. It is the Broncos’ first home loss of the season.

“We only have ourselves to blame and that starts with me,” said WMU head coach Stu Riddle. “We played like we weren’t interested or prepared and  that’s on me. To concede another two-set piece goals from long throws is infuriating and the players need to do a much better job being responsible in those phases of the game.”

Western Michigan (9-4-2) was the early aggressor and scored a goal on its first push forward of the game. Within the first minute of the game, sophomore Jason Grant was tripped up in the box and the Broncos were awarded a penalty kick. Senior Shane Lyons buried the PK low to the keeper’s left for his seventh goal of the season. Lyons has now recorded a point in each of the last eight games and scored a goal in seven of those eight.

The Broncos held a 1-0 advantage at halftime and nearly tallied a second goal off an indirect free kick in the 69th minute. Grant and Luis Lemus stood over the ball and Lemus pushed it over to Lyons on his left. Lyons sent a curling kick from just outside the arc of the 18 to the right of the wall, but it struck off the upper right of the goal frame.

Detroit (7-6-0) found new life in the 76th minute when Jason Leslie finished a backside header to tie the score at 1-1. Adam Bedell took a throw-in deep in the Broncos’ defensive third and Vincente Jaramillo gathered the loose ball in the box. Jaramillo played back out to Adam Bedell who put the cross into Leslie.

WMU keeper Sean Lewis faced a flurry of shots in front of the goal in the 84th minute and Patrick Soltys finally punched one through for the game-winner. Lewis batted away Matt Harkema’s initial shot and Bedell was first to the rebound but booted it off the crossbar. Soltys was there to slide in Bedell’s miss.

Western Michigan’s Darren Jones had a hard shot on goal in the 87th minute and Oliver Mayer had a look in the 88th minute, but fired his shot high and wide.

The Broncos took nine shots in the game, placing three on goal. Detroit had eight shots, with six on goal. Lewis finished with four saves for WMU, while Nathan Steiwascher had two saves for UD.

The Titans have now won the last four straight against WMU.

Western Michigan begins a stretch of four Mid-American Conference games to close out the regular season Sunday, hosting Hartwick on Senior Day at 2 p.m. at the WMU Soccer Complex.

Valparaiso 2, Northern Illinois 1
VALPARAISO, Ind. -- Freshman forward Matt Pritchard (Omaha, Neb./Creighton Prep) scored the first goal of his collegiate career, but it wasn’t enough as the Northern Illinois men’s soccer team was unable to recover from a two-goal halftime deficit, falling to Valparaiso 2-1 on Wednesday night.
Playing in rainy conditions for the third-straight match, Northern Illinois (3-8-2) fell behind by a pair less than a quarter of an hour into the match.
Valparaiso (2-6-5) opened the scoring in the 9th minute on a goal by Charles Barden. Jordan Aidoud played a ball from midfield out to Barden on the left wing. Barden took on a Huskie defender in a one-on-one situation before slipping a quick shot just inside the far post to give the Crusaders a 1-0 lead. 
The Crusaders doubled their advantage in the 13th minute. Nick Suker’s initial shot deflected back to Eric Nieto near the top of the box who fired a drive into the upper corner to give Valparaiso a 2-0 advantage. 
Just as halftime began, lightning in the area caused a weather delay of just under an hour. 
With just under a half hour to play, NIU cut the Valparaiso lead in half as Pritchard scored the first goal of his college career. Freshman Parker Thornton (Buda, Texas/Hayes) flicked on a header into the run of Pritchard who got behind the Crusader defense. Alone with the goalkeeper, Pritchard calmly slotted the ball into the corner of the net to give the Huskies a lifeline in the 62nd minute.
Four minutes later the Huskies had a chance to level the match. Thornton had a chance from inside the penalty area but his shot rose high over the crossbar.
On a quick restart in the 69th minute, junior midfielder Sean Totsch (Oswego, Ill./Oswego) fired a 30-yard rocket that seemed certain to even the contest. Totsch’s effort was denied however as Valparaiso goalkeeper Kyle Zobeck made an outstanding save, fully stretched out, to keep the Crusaders in front.
Huskie senior goalkeeper Jordan Godsey (Ocean Springs, Miss./Ocean Springs) kept NIU within striking distance with a quality save of his own in the 73rd minute. Godsey did well to palm away a shot from Jesse Ortiz that was low and to his right side. 
Godsey finished the match with five saves. 
The Huskies continued to throw numbers forward in the final 20 minutes, Pritchard and freshman Charlie Oliver (Crystal Lake, Ill./Crystal Lake South) each tested Valparaiso goalkeeper Kyle Zobeck in the final minutes but the Huskies were unable to find an equalizer. 
Northern Illinois will return to conference play on Saturday, Oct. 20, when the Huskies host Bowling Green at the NIU Soccer Complex. Game time against the Falcons is scheduled for 1 p.m.