Friday's MAC Men's Soccer Results

Updated 9/28/2012

Courtesy of Hartwick Sports Information Department 

Friday's Men's Soccer Scoreboard - 9/38
Hartwick 2, Bowling Green 0


Hartwick 2, Bowling Green 0 
ONEONTA, NY – Hartwick used a goal in each half to record its second shutout of the season on Friday night in a 2-0 victory over Bowling Green State University in the Hawks’ Mid-American Conference opener on Elmore Field. Jhevaughn Beckford (Kingston, Jamaica/Wolmer’s Boys’ HS) and Cleyon Brown (Kingston, Jamaica/Berkshire School) scored the goals as the Hawks snapped a two-game slide and defeated the Falcons for the first time since 2008.

“It’s a very pleasing result for the team,” said head coach John Scott following the match. “We knew it was going to be very important to get off to a good start in the MAC and to do it on Homecoming and Reunion Weekend is an added bonus. With so many of our alumni back, it was very positive for this new crop of guys to get a win.”
The Hawks got off to a great start scoring on the game’s first opportunity less than three minutes in. Right back Chris Walter (Snyder, NY/Nichols School) crossed the ball from the right flank to Beckford on the far side outside of the Falcon 18-yard box.
He settled the ball, moved past a defender and fired a shot that caught a Bowling Green defender’s foot redirecting the ball past goalkeeper Michael Wiest for a 1-0 early lead.
Scoring chances were limited for much of the rest of the half. Midfielder Rio Dhat (Auckland, New Zealand/Epping Boys HS) had a long-range effort in 16th minute but his 25-yard rifle sailed just over the crossbar. The Falcons put three shots on target in the final seven minutes of the half. Mateo Munarriz (Manizares, Colombia/Colegio Granadino) stop two of the shots while the third, a relatively weak header, was cleared out by a Hawk defender.
In the opening 15 minutes of the second half, the Falcons kept the ball in the Hartwick end. BGSU out-shot the Hawks 4-0 and took two corners but could not penetrate the Hartwick goal. The Falcons’ best chance came in the 53rd minute. Following a scramble in front, Jake Genrich’s shot was cleared off the line and the game remained 1-0.
  Hartwick extended its lead in the 64th minute. Forward Jason Keefe (Springfield, MA/Springfield Central) played a short ball to Brown 30 yards from the BGSU goal. He carried the ball closer to net, found a shooting lane, and fired a low shot that again caught the foot of a Falcon back. The ball redirected and eluded Wiest and into the goal for a two-goal cushion. It marked Brown’s team-leading fifth tally of the season.
Hartwick had several good chances to add to its lead over the final 20 minutes but Wiest was up to the challenge. Brown, Tim Crawford (Webster, NY/Webster Thomas), and Dean Fowler (Sydney, Australia/Colo HS) each hit shots on target but each were turned aside by the Falcon keeper.
BGSU ended the match with a 16-11 edge in shots. Both teams were even in corners, 7-7. Wiest would end the game with four saves. Munarriz stopped two shots.
With the victory, Hartwick improves to 2-2-3 all-time against Bowling Green. 
The Hawks return to Elmore on Tuesday night as they host Colgate University in a non-conference match.