Tuesday's Men's Soccer Results

Updated 9/25/2012


Stories Courtesy of MAC Homes Sports Information Departments 
Tuesday's MAC Men's Soccer Scoreboard - 9/25
Bowling Green 2, Milwaukee 1 (2OT)
Cornell 4, Hartwick 1
Western Michigan 1, IUPUI 1
Bowling Green 2, Milwaukee 1 (2OT)
Sophomore Danny Baraldi hammered home a penalty kick in the second overtime period, giving the Bowling Green State University men's soccer team a 2-1 win over the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Tuesday night (Sept. 25).  The non-conference match was held at Cochrane Field.
With the victory, the Falcons improve to 3-4-2 on the season, while dropping the Panthers to 4-4-0.
Baraldi had a three-point game, with an assist in addition to the winning goal.  He and junior Ryan Snashall teamed up to assist junior Anthony Grant's first-half marker.
Laurie Bell scored UWM's goal, converting a penalty kick of his own in the second half.
Milwaukee's previous three losses this season came to teams that are a combined 20-0-4 on the year.
The Falcons return to Mid-American Conference play this weekend, heading to Oneonta, N.Y., for a Friday (Sept. 28) match vs. Hartwick College.
Cornell 4, Hartwick 1
ITHACA, NY – Hartwick men's soccer team played for the first time in 10 days on Tuesday night, falling short at nationally 22nd ranked Cornell University by a final score of 4-1. The Hawks slip to below .500 with the setback with a 2-3-2 overall mark. Cornell (8-0-0) entered the game as one of just three teams in the country who are unbeaten and untied this season.
“Basically it came down to us not being able to contain their two forwards,” said Hartwick head coach John Scott. “Their two front runners accounted for three goals and an assist. We just needed a better effort tonight.”
The Hawks could not have started the contest better, gaining a 1-0 lead just 22 seconds into the match. Freshman back David Styles (Bognor Regis, England/St. Phillip Howard) served a ball into the box from the left side and senior forward Cleyon Brown (Kingston, Jamaica/Berkshire School) headed the ball into the back of the net for his team-leading fourth goal of the season to stake the Hawks a one-goal edge. It also marked Styles team-best fourth assist on the year.
Cornell broke through in the 8th minute following a foul in the Hartwick 18-yard box. The nation's leading scorer, Daniel Haber, converted the penalty kick as he put the ball up high past a diving Tom Buckner (Oxford, England/Henley College) who guessed right on the play.
The Big Red added its second of the night in the 27th minute. A long ball was played into the Hartwick box which a Hawk defender got his head onto. The ball, however, deflected off Cornell's Tyler Regan and fell to his feet. He slotted home past Buckner and the hosts led by a 2-1 margin.
Cornell would hold a 10-4 edge in shots in the opening half of play. The Hawks' lone shot on target was Brown's tally.
Hartwick's best chance of the second half came in the 62nd minute. A ball from Brown allowed forward Jason Keefe (Springfield, MA/Springfield Central) a shot in the box. He walked in alone with Cornell keeper Rick Plasterer but his effort went wide of the goal.
“It was a great opportunity for us to pull even in the match,” said Scott. “They came back and deflated us with their third goal a few minutes later.”
Less than three minutes after the Hartwick chance, the Big Red would counter to extend its advantage.  Haber was at it again as he received a ball and cut it back to gain a shooting lane. His shot eluded Buckner low for the hosts' third goal. It also marked Haber's 13th tally in eight games.
Cornell added a fourth goal in the 79th minute. Atticus DeProsp tipped in a ball from Regan for the tally.
The Big Red finished the match with a 19-6 advantage in shots. Buckner closed the game with seven saves. Plasterer did not have to make a save in the victory in the Cornell goal.
Hartwick gets back to action with its Mid-American Conference opener on Friday night on Elmore Field. The Hawks hosts Bowling Green (3-4-2, 0-1 MAC) at 7 p.m.
Western Michigan 1, IUPUI 1
KALAMAZOO, Mich.- After taking an early lead, Western Michigan men's soccer settled for a 1-1 tie against IUPUI Tuesday afternoon at the WMU Soccer Complex.
The Broncos (7-2-1) drubbed IUPUI with 23 shots, however Jaguar goalkeeper Eduardo Cortes thwarted all but one of WMU's 10 chances on goal, a penalty kick by Shane Lyons in the 42nd minute.
"I can only be disappointed to come out of this match with a tie," said WMU head coach Stu Riddle. "To create as many clear-cut chances as we did and only capitalize on one is a concern. I felt our play in the first half especially was very good and if we can start being a bit more ruthless in front of goal we're going to be in good shape."
Western Michigan dominated the first half, out-shooting the 4-6-2 Jaguars 15-1, but IUPUI stepped up its play in the second half, holding a 7-5 shot advantage.
The Broncos took a 1-0 lead on Lyons' penalty kick strike to the left side of the keeper just before the half. Lyons was one-on-one with a defender in the box and got a shot away as the Cortes rushed off his line. The ball squirted free in front of the goal and as Lyons scrambled towards it, he was blatantly pulled down to the ground. Making good on his reward, he registered his third goal in as many games.
IUPUI came up with the equalizer off a corner kick in the 73rd minute. Kyle Hyland served the ball from the left and it found its way to the feet of Michael Sass on the far side. Sass struck a low ball across the box and ricocheted it off the post and in.
Western Michigan took three shots during extra play, one in the first overtime period and two in the second, while IUPUI had one shot in each OT period.
WMU keeper Sean Lewis faced 10 shots and made three saves. His most impressive was in the 87th minute, moving to his left to snatch a bullet out of the air by Tyler Thatcher.
Cortes also had several highlight saves, punching a backside volley by Jason Grant over the top in the opening minutes of the game, and turning away a hard blast from Kyle Farris at the beginning of the second half.
Grant, Lyons, Darren Jones and Yllson Asani each took three shots for the Broncos. Marco Lobo led the team with six.
Western Michigan heads into Mid-American Conference play Saturday, Sept. 29, hosting the newest MAC men's soccer affiliate member West Virginia at noon.