Sunday's MAC Women's Soccer Recap

Updated 9/23/2012

Courtesy of MAC Home Sports Information Departments 

Sunday's Women's Soccer Scoreboard - 9/23
Ball State 2, Akron 1 
Miami (Ohio) 2, Buffalo 0 
Eastern 3, Michigan Toledo 0
Kent State 0, Bowling Green 0
Western Michigan 0, Northern Illinois 0
Central Michigan 1, Ohio 0


Ball State 2, Akron 1 
MUNCIE, Ind. – Sophomore midfielder Cailey Starck scored her first collegiate goal Sunday against Akron to break a 1-1 tie in the 82nd minute and propel the Ball State soccer team to a 2-1 victory at the Briner Sports Complex.

Starck took a pass from Michelle Blok about 30 yards away from the goal and fired her shot on a line. It just cleared the outstretched arm of Akron goalkeeper Alex Luevano-Harden and found the top of the net to help Ball State claim its second win of the weekend.
“Coach Roberts told me to go in and shoot,” Starck said. “He knows my shot, so he had a lot of confidence in me like he has in all of our team. He’s been telling us to look for shots lately. We have some very good offensive threats; we just need to be aggressive and take our opportunities.”
The Cardinals (5-3-2), who defeated Buffalo in their Mid-American Conference opener Friday, are now 2-0 in league play. Ball State has been beaten only once in its past six games (three wins and two ties). Akron (4-5-0) dropped to 0-2 through one weekend of league action. 
Seeking to ignite his team’s offense, Ball State coach Craig Roberts made a lineup change Sunday, giving starting nods to forwards Nicole Pembleton and Kalynn Flanagan, who typically come off the bench.
The change paid dividends early when Flanagan played a role in the Cardinals’ first goal less than three minutes into the game. Defender Pavla Benyrova sent a beautiful ball into the box to Flanagan, who was charging toward the far post. The Ball State freshman directed the ball toward the other side of the goal, where Jasmine Moses knocked it in.
The goal was the third in four games for Moses, and it came on the first of many Ball State shots on the day. The Cardinals logged a season-high 25 shots, 15 more than Akron, and put 11 of those shots on frame. Ball State especially controlled play in the second half, out-shooting the Zips 14-4.
“I was really pleased that we called on different personalities to do the job at certain times and I felt they really did their jobs well,” Ball State coach Craig Roberts said. “In the second half, we recognized some of the areas where they were a little more vulnerable and we exploited those. It would have been nice to have scored on some more of those shots, but we did really well to open them up.”
Akron’s goal came on a free kick with seven minutes to play in the first half, equalizing the early score from Moses. Forward Ashley Hughes took the free kick quickly from just outside the 18-yard box and passed it ahead to Karina Atkinson, who snuck it by Ball State keeper Aubrey Buehler for the Zips’ only goal of the day.
The score then remained tied 1-1 for nearly 43 minutes of game action before Starck lined up the game-winner. The Cardinals continued to control possession for much of the closing minutes. Akron had its best chance to force overtime on a corner kick with one minute left, but Benyrova stopped the initial play into the box and then stole the ball on Akron’s next touch to preserve the victory.
Senior midfielder Alyssa Ables led the Ball State attack with four shots in the game, including three on goal, while Starck and Maimee Morris recorded three shots each. Hughes finished with a team-high three shots for Akron. Luevano-Harden made nine saves against the heavy Ball State attack, while Buehler made three saves to help the Cardinals open the MAC schedule 2-0 for the first time since 2007.
Ball State, which has played seven of its first 10 games at home, will go on the road to continue conference play next weekend. The Cardinals are slated to play Friday at Kent State and Sunday at Ohio.

Miami (Ohio) 2,  Buffalo 0
OXFORD, OH - Under constant barrage, the the Buffalo women's soccer team (2-7-1, 0-2 MAC) dropped its Mid-American Conference East division opener Sunday afternoon at Miami (OH), 2-0.

The Bulls were put on the defensive from the very start and were unable to generate any counter attack leading to a 12-2 deficit in corner kicks and ten fewer shots. Junior goalie Ainsley Wheldon handled the pressure with seven total saves in the game, matching her season high.
The Redhawks (8-2, 2-0 MAC) broke a scoreless tie in the 25th minute on a goal from Haley Walter. Kelsey Dinges would but the game away with a goal in the 57th minute. The Bulls had a number of opportunities fall wide of the net, with Taylor Thompson leading the way with three total shots. Buffalo put its only shot on goal in the 47th minute, when Shannon Fisher put it on frame only to be denied.
After playing away from home for almost the entire month of September, the team will now return home for a weekend of cross-divisional MAC games. Friday will bring a rematch of the 2011 MAC tournament semifinal when Toledo comes to UB Stadium for a 7 pm. Then on Sunday, the Northern Illinois Huskies will play the Bulls at noon.

Eastern Michigan 3, Toledo 0
TOLEDO, Ohio  —The Eastern Michigan University women's soccer team turned in its most impressive effort of the 2012 season Sunday, Sept. 23, with a 3-0 shutout on the road against the defending Mid-American Conference champion University of Toledo. Sophomore Cara Cutaia scored a pair of goals and redshirt freshman Jenna O'Dell notched her second consecutive shutout.

The Eagles (5-3-1; 2-0 MAC) finished the weekend outscoring their opponents, 4-0, and defeated the Rockets (2-7-1; 0-1-1 MAC) for the first time since 2009. EMU's 2-0 start to MAC play marks the first time since 2000 that Head Coach Scott Hall's squad has accomplished the feat.
A relentless Eastern Michigan attack fired 11 shots at Toledo goaltenders. Among those shots were two off the foot of Cutaia, whose two-goal afternoon was the first of her career. Cutaia also added an assist on sophomore Bianca Rossi's goal in the 61st minute to earn a five-point afternoon and pull even with Rossi for the team lead in points with 12. The five-point output tied junior Stephanie Clarke and several former players for the third-most points in a single game in EMU history.
Rossi's goal was her fifth of the year Sunday and second of the weekend. Clarke and junior Megan Pedro also got their names on the scoresheet with an assist apiece. The EMU defense was stingy as well, allowing just five shots to reach O'Dell, who recorded her third shutout of the season.
In the 25th minute, Rossi found herself in a familiar position when she was awarded a penalty kick. Unlike Friday against Northern Illinois University, Rossi's kick was off target and the game remained scoreless.
A flurry of activity in front of the UT goal in the 30th minute resulted in EMU taking a 1-0 lead. An initial shot by Pedro was blocked by a Toledo defender and rolled on to junior Chelsie Oddan, whose ensuing shot was saved by Borowitz. Borowitz was unable to corral the rebound and Cutaia found the back of the net.
Not satisfied with one goal, Cutaia struck again in the 47th minute off a feed from Clarke to make it a 2-0 score for the Eagles. Rossi added the insurance marker 14 minutes later. O'Dell was sharp when called upon in the final 45 minutes, making a trio of saves.
Kelsey Borowitz took the loss in net for UT, allowing all three goals in nearly 74 minutes of play.
Eastern Michigan returns to Ypsilanti for a pair of home matches. Bowling Green University comes to Scicluna Field, Sept. 28, and Central Michigan, Sept. 30.  

Kent State 0, Bowling Green 0 (2OT)
Bowling Green State University freshman goalkeeper Jenna Underwood earned her first collegiate shutout as the Falcon women's soccer team battled Kent State University to a scoreless draw in double overtime Sunday afternoon (Sept. 23).  The Mid-American Conference match was held at Cochrane Field.

With the result, the Falcons are now 1-8-1 overall, while KSU is 5-2-2 on the season.  The Golden Flashes, the defending MAC East Division champions, were picked to win the East title again in 2012, according to the preseason coaches poll.
Both teams are now 0-1-1 in MAC play.
Stephanie Senn made four stops to post a shutout for the Golden Flashes.
The match, as one might expect from a MAC divisional contest, was a physical one. The teams combined for 38 fouls and four yellow cards (two for each team) on the afternoon.  As the game went on, play opened up, and the overtime periods were wide-open, end-to-end affairs.
Kent State outshot the Falcons, 16-13, on the day, and the Flashes had a narrow 5-4 advantage in shots on goal.  BG, however, had five shot attempts to KSU's one in the overtime periods, and the only shot on goal in those extra 20 minutes came from the home side.
It was sunny when the teams arrived at the pitch to warm up on Sunday afternoon, but there was a brief period of rain not long after the match began.  The light rain lasted only 10 or 15 minutes, and the sun popped out again for a portion of the first half.  For the most part, however, it was mostly cloudy and breezy the rest of the afternoon.
The teams traded shots in the early going, as BG junior Kaitlyn Tobin fired wide left in the third minute of play, while KSU's Jessacca Gironda headed a teammate's corner kick wide right from close range in the fourth minute.
The Flashes had the territorial advantage in the early going, possessing the ball for much of the first 25 or 30 minutes of play.  With just under 16 minutes gone, KSU's Katherine Lawrence knocked a free kick into the box, where Jaclyn Dutton, the team's leading scorer, was waiting.  Dutton, on the left side of the six-yard box, volleyed the ball back toward the right post on the fly, but the shot sailed wide of the target.
KSU had a 7-3 first-half advantage in shots, but the Falcons had several chances in the latter stages of the period.  First, senior Sarah VonderBrink picked up a loose ball in the box and hit a one-timer into the left-side netting, just wide of the post, with seven minutes left before halftime.
Then, sophomore Sidney Huth curled around two would-be defenders and ripped a long shot.  Huth struck the ball well, but it was hit directly at Senn, who was able to hang on.
Early in the second half, each team had scoring chances denied almost before they were created. Sophomore Kaylee Draper played a ball down the right side for junior Madeline Wideman, but the assistant referee's flag was up, indicating offside against the Falcons.
Two minutes later, solid defending by sophomore Ashley Garr and junior Alyssa Carmack, among others, kept the Flashes from getting a shot off as KSU possessed the ball in the box.  Carmack knocked the ball beyond the 18-yard line, and the best the visitors could do was a shot from distance by Hannah Newhouse, which sailed wide in the 52nd minute of the match
Lss than a minute later, the Falcons were whistled for a foul just outside the box, and three Flashes lined up for the free kick.  Stephanie Haugh wound up taking the kick, but her shot went well over the goal.
With under 29 minutes remaining in regulation, the Falcons threatened, as Wideman won the ball and played a pass to Tobin, who was moving across the top of the box from right to left.  Tobin hit a shot that headed toward the upper-left-hand corner of the net. But, the ball did not curve quite enough to find the frame, sailing just beyond the post.
Less than 20 minutes were left when Dutton found some space and hit a blast that was bound for the upper-right corner of the net.  But, Underwood made a nice leaping save, tipping the ball over the crossbar and keeping the match scoreless.
The Falcons now prepare for a four-game road swing, beginning with a Friday (Sept. 28) match at Eastern Michigan.  That contest begins at 4:00 p.m. at EMU's Scicluna Field.

Central Michigan 1, Ohio 0 
MT. PLEASANT, Mich. – Experiencing defeat for just the first time in 30 days, Ohio Soccer’s six-game winning streak came to an end on Sunday when the Bobcats lost on the road at Central Michigan by a final score of 1-0.

Ohio ran into a high-powered Central Michigan offense, one which outshot the Bobcats by a 24-6 margin. A perennial offensive power in the MAC, the Chippewas have received votes in the NSCAA top 25 poll for the second straight season.
Mattie Liston (Lakewood, Ohio) made 11 saves in the loss, keeping the Bobcats within striking distance throughout the entire match. This impressive single-game save total is the second highest posted in Liston’s career and is the sixth highest in program history.
Central Michigan (6-3-1, 2-0 MAC) got on the board early in the first half, scoring in the fourth minute when Laura Gosse hit a long shot from 30 yards out. Liston initially appeared to have stopped the shot but the ball trickled in to make it 1-0 in favor of the Chippewas. 
Erin Schwenke (Solon, Ohio) attempted to answer back in the 20th minute with a shot on goal. Her attempt was stopped by CMU’s Stefanie Turner, keeping the Chippewas ahead by a one-goal margin.
The hosts controlled much of the offensive play in the first half, outshooting the Bobcats by a 14-2 margin. Liston was an important part of this first half, making six saves. Her second stop of the afternoon moved her into second place all-time in Ohio’s goalkeeping record book.
Ohio (6-4, 1-1 MAC) fought back in the second half, trying to find the equalizing goal. Cathryn Rogers (Etobicoke, Ontario) ripped three shots in rapid succession, attempting to find the net in the 51st, 52nd and 55th minutes. Her first two attempts of the half went wide and her third one was blocked.
The Bobcats will next be in action on Friday, Sept. 28 when Miami comes to Chessa Field for an important Mid-American Conference East Division clash.
Ohio Starting XI (Numerically): Mattie Liston (GK), Maggie Murnane, Cathryn Rogers, Paige Howard, Erin Feeney, Veronica Rock, Erin Schwenke, Holly Harris, Gabby Hausfeld, Grace Campbell, Nicolle Varney

Western Michigan Northern Illinois
DEKALB, Ill. -- Western Michigan earned its second straight shutout after blanking Northern Illinois in a 0-0 tie at NIU on Sunday afternoon.

WMU (4-4-2, 0-0-2 MAC) has now not surrendered a goal in the last 308 minutes of soccer. Junior goalkeeper Michelle Watson made five saves to earn her sceond shutout of the weekend. Kelsey Baskins, laren Fearday and Lindsey Lee played all 220 minutes of shutout soccer on the back line.
“It was another frustrating result for us,” said head coach Nate Norman. “We have to find ways not only to finish off our chances but to create more. The defending has obviously gotten better, which is something that we have spent a lot of time working on. Now we just have to go out and figure out how to generate more goals.”
The Broncos have however been held scoreless in their last three games despite outshooting the opponent in each of them. WMU outshot NIU 14-10 on the day with Diana Dedvukaj and Anina Cicerone each firing off four shots.
Mid-American Conference action continues for Western Michigan as they host rivals Central Michigan on Friday at 4 p.m. and then welcome Bowling Green on Sunday at 1 p.m.