Sunday's MAC Women's Soccer Recap

Updated 9/16/2012

Courtesy of MAC Home Sports Information Departments

Sunday's MAC Women's Scoreboard - 9/16
 Marshall 2, Akron 0
Loyola 1, Bowling Green 0
St. Francis 2, Buffalo 1
Butler 2, Ball State 1
Duquense 2, Kent State 1
Illinois State 1, Toledo 0 
Miami (Ohio) 4, Indiana St. 0
Northern Illinois 4 , S. Dakota 1


Marshall 2, Akron 0
AKRON, Ohio – Marshall scored a goal in each half as the Thundering Herd women's soccer team defeated Akron, 2-0, Sunday afternoon at FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field. The match was Akron's final non-conference contest of the season. 

UA (4-3-0) started out the match with two good scoring opportunities. In the third minute, the Zips won the first corner of the match and had a great chance as junior defender Amber Kern fired a one-time shot off the long corner, which rattled the near post.
In the 10th minute, freshman forward Megan Waskowski collected a pass from redshirt freshman midfielder Lexa Green on the right side of the box and her shot went just wide of the far post.
Then just a minute and a half later, Marshall's Kelly Culicerto headed in a corner kick by Chelsey Maiden to give the Thundering Herd (4-4-0) a 1-0 lead at the 10:41 mark.
Senior forward Ashley Hughes served a cross in the 27th minute, which clipped the crossbar and Kern had a shot on goal following another Akron corner half a minute later. 
Junior midfielder Kelly DeNiro had a great strike from outside the box in the 34th minute which appeared to be headed for the far corner of the goal, but Marshall goalkeeper Lindsey Kerns dove and was able to get a hand on the shot to prevent it from going in. 
The game remained 1-0 in favor of Marshall heading into the half.
Early in the second half, the Zips hit the woodwork for the third time in the match as freshman defender Katie George cracked a shot from 20 yards out off the bar. 
But less than a minute later, Marshall added to its lead when Alyssa Cathey's shot from the outside found the far corner at 53:07. Casey Walsh assisted. 
In the 68th minute, Hughes nearly cut the Thundering Herd in half as she forced an excellent reaction save out of Kerns with a close range near post drive.
For the match, shots were 18-10 in favor of Marshall and corners were 11-5 for the Thundering Herd. Hughes led the Akron offense with three shots.
In goal, redshirt sophomore Alex Luevano-Harden played all 90 minutes and registered a career-best seven saves.
The Zips open Mid-American Conference play next weekend with a pair of road games. Akron travels to Miami (Ohio) on Friday at 4 p.m. and then Ball State on Sunday at 2 p.m

St. Francis 2, Buffalo 1
NIAGARA UNIVERSITY, NY - The Buffalo women's soccer team wrapped up play at the Niagara University Fall Classic Sunday afternoon, losing 2-1 to St. Francis (PA) thanks to a pair of second-half goals coming off rebounds. The loss caps the non-conference season for the Bulls (2-5-1). Katie Roberts netted her third goal of the season early in the first half, but an opportunistic St. Francis team would rally in the final half to claim the win.

The Red Flash (3-4-1) had five quality attempts on goal and a corner kick all within the first 13 minutes of play, but Buffalo's first shot would be its best of the day. Roberts gathered a loose ball in the box and tucked it into the low right corner to give the team a critical early lead. In the first half, the Bulls were out shot 11-4 and ended up with a 22-13 deficit in shots for the entire game.
In the 66th minute, St. Francis would tie the game on a bit of good fortune. After a shot from in the box was saved by Ainsley Wheldon, the ball went off her gloves and hung by the line until it was swept up and converted for the score. The Bulls would only attempt two more shots for the rest of the game, while the Flash would take advantage of another unlucky bounce of the ball for UB.
On a corner kick in the 85th minute for St. Francis, Alecia McNiff put a header on frame that was again saved by Wheldon, but the ensuing rebound was scored for the eventual game-winner by Brianna Brancato. For the game, Wheldon made six saves. Kassidy Kidd again was effective on offense, putting two of her three total shots on goal. Taylor Thompson led the team with four shots overall.
The loss brings a close to the non-conference season, and the Bulls will now hit the road for a crucial opening weekend of Mid-American Conference play. Buffalo plays at Ball State Friday afternoon, before going to Miami (OH) for its MAC East opener against the rival Redhawks.
Butler 2, Ball State 1
MUNCIE, Ind. -- The Ball State soccer team suffered its first loss in its past four outings Sunday afternoon, dropping a 2-1 decision to Butler at the Briner Sports Complex in its final non-conference game.
The Cardinals (3-3-2) managed an early goal from sophomore forward Jasmine Moses but could not hold the lead. A Butler goal late in the first half and another early in the second lifted the Bulldogs (5-3-1) to a win in the first meeting between the teams since 2007.
Ball State will now enter the Mid-American Conference portion of its schedule as the Cardinals host Buffalo on Friday and Akron next Sunday.
"We have to be better in some areas than we were today," Ball State coach Craig Roberts said. "We are a quality team, and we believe in what we can do. We just need to raise our game. We needed to be better organized in some portions of our game today, and we have to get that squared away now as we begin MAC play."
The Ball State goal -- Moses' second in the past two games -- was well orchestrated. Senior defender Amanda Dreyfus passed the ball from the circle to senior midfielder Alyssa Ables, who sent the ball ahead to Moses in the right side of the box. Moses was one-on-one with the Butler goalkeeper and beat her to the far side of the net.
Despite holding that early lead, Ball State faced pressure for much of the first half from the Butler attack, which forced Cardinals goalkeeper Aubrey Buehler to make five saves in the opening 45 minutes.
Buehler stopped every shot she faced until the final minute of the first half when Butler's Sophia Maccagnone fired a left-footed shot from the top of the box into the right side of the net to even the score heading into halftime.
The Bulldogs then found another goal quickly when Claire Milam scored in the 50th minute to give Butler the lead. Katie Reed and Elise Kotsakis assisted on the play, and Milam's shot traveled from the left side of the box into the right corner of the net.
"I didn't feel that we did well defensively, and that's unusual for us," Roberts said. "Usually we are very strong back there and positioned really well, so that was something that we have already talked about getting corrected."
Down a goal, Ball State picked up its attack. The Cardinals out-shot Butler by an 8-3 margin in the second half but only managed a few really good looks. Butler keeper Julie Burton saved each of the five shots on goal she faced.
For the game, Ball State registered 15 shots to 12 for Butler, marking the seventh straight game the Cardinals have out-shot their opponent. Ball State senior midfielder Sarah Orisich led all players with four shots.
Sunday's game was the first time since the season opener at Marshall that Ball State surrendered more than one goal. The Cardinals have still allowed just seven goals over their past seven outings.
Loyola 1, Bowling Green 0 
The Bowling Green State University women's soccer team dominated numerous statistical categories, but visiting Loyola University Chicago held a slim advantage in the only category that mattered Sunday afternoon (Sept. 16).  The visiting Ramblers scored in the 17th minute and saw that goal hold up for a 1-0 win at Cochrane Field.
With the victory, Loyola is now 4-4-1 on the season. The Falcons drop to 1-7-0 on the year.
Bowling Green had the lion's share of the possession time, especially in the second half, and the Falcons had a whopping 22-4 advantage in shots in the match.  The Brown and Orange had a 9-3 edge in corner kicks, and BG put seven shots on goal to Loyola's one.  But, that one shot on goal was all the Ramblers needed.
Brielle Haupt scored the only goal of the match, after a long forward pass by Tessa Daniels sent her down the center of the field.  Haupt fought off a BGSU defender, headed into the penalty area and put her shot low and into the right corner of the net, past Falcon freshman goalkeeper Jenna Underwood.
The goal, which came at the 16:58 mark, gave the Ramblers the lead for good, but the Falcons had the visitors on their heels for nearly all of the second half.  After taking nine shots to Loyola's two in the opening period, the home team had a 13-2 advantage in the second half, with the ball in Loyola's defensive end for the majority of the 45 minutes.
LUC 'keeper Monica Gonyo, however, did not allow the Falcons to get the equalizer, making six saves while also receiving help from her back line.  One BG shot late in the match was blocked off of the goal line by a Loyola defender for a 'team save.'
Most of Loyola's best chances came in the early going.  With just over 14 minutes gone, Moriah Schwarz slid a pass toward Haupt in the penalty area.  After some initial confusion among the BGSU defenders, the Falcons were able to clear the ball out of danger.
Just three minutes later, however, Haupt got the Ramblers on the scoreboard with what would prove to be the only goal on the day.  Daniels was credited with the lone assist.
Midway through the period, junior Tracy Togba stole a pass and fired a long shot that landed on top of of the goal.  Togba led all players with six shot attempts on the afternoon, putting three on target.
With 17 minutes left before halftime, freshman Demy Whitaker took a pass from sophomore Sidney Huth.  Whitaker blasted a shot from distance, which was headed toward the upper left corner of the frame.  But, Gonyo was able to leap and tip the ball out of play for a corner kick.
Togba was at the heart of two more BGSU scoring chances in the latter stages of the first half.  With under eight minutes until the break, senior Sarah VonderBrink sent a pass forward to Togba, as BGSU went on a counterattack after a rare Loyola shot attempt.
Togba received that pass, cut back to her left to elude a pair of defenders and ripped a hard shot that was ticketed toward the upper 90.  It was all Gonyo could do to leap and tip the ball over the crossbar.
Then, with three minutes remaining in the period, Togba brought the ball into the penalty area and slid a pass from left to right across the box.  The pass found freshman Jessica Jarvis, who had a shot attempt blocked as she and a Loyola defender went to the ground.
In the waning seconds of the half, VonderBrink blasted a shot toward the right goalpost. Gonyo kept the ball out of the net, but hit the post and appeared to be momentarily shaken up.  Time ran out in the first half before the Falcons could line up for a corner kick.  Gonyo was able to remain in the match.
Early in the second period, a cross/shot off the boot of junior Kaitlyn Tobin forced Gonyo to make yet another leaping effort to tip the ball over the bar.
With an hour gone in the match, a pass by Whitaker found the foot of junior Madeline Wideman, who was heading into the penalty area.  Wideman took a shot from approximately eight yards out, but Gonyo was able to make a point-blank save.
Soon after that play, a Wideman corner kick found Whitaker in the box.  Her shot was blocked, and the ball popped up in the air.  Gonyo just beat VonderBrink to the ball, holding on to the deflection and momentarily stalling the Falcons' scoring threat.
With 17 minutes on the clock, Huth's hustle enabled her to keep possession near the end line.  She got past a defender and slid a left-to-right pass into the six-yard box, where Whitaker was waiting.  Surrounded by a host of Loyola players in the goalmouth, Whitaker was not able to get a clean shot, and the ball was deflected and trickled toward the left post before the Ramblers cleared it.
Fifteen minutes remained when Togba took a Wideman pass on the left side of the box and fired a shot that beat Gonyo.  A Rambler player, however, was on the goal line and was able to boot the ball away for the aforementioned 'team save.'
A corner kick by Wideman found the head of Togba with 10:40 left.  Togba headed the ball downward, but Gonyo was in position, and parried the ball out of play on the short-hop.
That proved to be the Falcons' last shot on goal of the match. BG had three shot attempts in the final 10 minutes of play, but a long shot by freshman Haley Parkinson went just wide left, a VonderBrink offering was blocked in the box and a free kick by junior Ivi Casagrande sailed over the bar.
Valerie Gonyo had two of the Ramblers' four total shot attempts.  By contrast, the Falcons had six players with multiple shot attempts on the day, and a total of 11 different players credited with at least one shot.
The Falcons open Mid-American Conference play with a pair of home games next weekend, beginning with a Friday night (Sept. 21) match vs. Ohio University. Kickoff is 7:00 p.m. at Cochrane.
Duquense 2, Kent State 1
KENT, Ohio – The Kent State soccer team (5-1-1) came away on the losing end for the first time of the 2012 season, falling 2-1 to Duquesne Sunday afternoon at Zoeller Field.
Duquesne (3-5-1) took control of the match on a pair of goals by Morgan Herbert in the opening minutes. At the 1:53 mark, Herbert was able to get ahead of the Kent State defense off a pass from Bridget Lynch and convert on a one-on-one scoring opportunity. In the 7th minute, Herbert found the back of the net again, this time in traffic from just inside the box.
"We didn't come out to play right away today," head coach Rob Marinaro about his team's performance. "We will need to do a better job of putting a full 90 minutes together going forward as we enter MAC play."
Junior Jaclyn Dutton (Bridgeport, Ohio) recorded her team-leading eighth goal of the season on a penalty kick in the 65th minute to put the Golden Flashes on the board and make it a one-goal match.
Kent State managed five shots the rest of the way, but came away empty each time. Their best, and final, scoring opportunity came in the final 30 seconds. There was a loose ball near the net off a corner kick by Dutton, but Duquesne goalkeeper Devon Tabata was able to snare the ball and seal the match for the Dukes.
The Flashes outshot the Dukes, 17-13, and held an 11-1 advantage in corner kicks. Goalkeepers Christine Pellegrino (Pittsburgh, Pa.) and Stephanie Senn (Grand Island, N.Y.) each made three saves for Kent State while Tabata recorded six saves for Duquesne.
Kent State begins MAC play with a pair of matches on the road next weekend. The Flashes will battle Central Michigan on Friday, Sept. 21 at 4:30 p.m. and Bowling Green on Sunday, Sept. 23 at 1 p.m.
Illinois State 1, Toledo 0
TOLEDO, OH - In a battle between two of the premier mid-major women's soccer programs in the country, Toledo came up on the short end of a 1-0 decision against Illinois State on Sunday at Scott Park. With the non-league finale loss, UT falls to 2-6-0 on the season.
The Mid-American Conference preseason favorite Rockets more than held their won against the Missouri Valley Conference preseason frontrunner Redbirds (5-2-2) and finished with a commanding 18-7 edge in shots and a 7-2 advantage in corner kicks. Unfortunately for the Midnight Blue & Gold, they were unable to put the ball into the back of the net and suffered their fourth shutout of the season.
Freshman Megan Connor paced UT with a match-high four shots, while sophomore Kirsten Catloth and sophomore Meghan Topolewski had three shots each.
ISU's Sarah Mussallem scored the match's lone goal in the 58th minute on a well-executed play with teammate Rachel Tejada. The Redbirds' dynamic scoring machine Tejada raced the ball down the middle of the pitch and forced a pair of UT defenders to collapse down on her. She then perfectly led Mussallem down the right side deep into Toledo territory. The ISU forward took a quick dribble and lofted a shot over the head of Toledo freshman goalie Sam Tiongson into the upper 90 of the far post from approximately 10 yards out for her second tally of the season at 57:07.
Between the posts, Tiongson went the distance and was credited with four saves. ISU's Aryn Newsom also played all 90 minutes and recorded four stops.
UT will now turn its attention to the league slate and open at West Division rival Western Michigan on Friday, Sept. 21. The opening whistle from the WMU Soccer Complex is slated for 4:00 p.m.
Miami (Ohio )4, Indiana St. 0
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. - Behind a three-goal outburst in the opening 25 minutes and a pair of goals from senior Jess Kodiak, the Miami University women's soccer team dispatched of Indiana State Sunday afternoon with a 4-0 shut out at Memorial Stadium. The win marked the second straight year the RedHawks (6-2-0) defeated the Sycamores (4-5-1) while Miami finishes non-conference play a perfect 4-0-0 away from home, doing so for the first time since 1999.
After not finding the back of the net in 107 minutes in Friday's double-overtime loss to IPFW, the RedHawks wasted little time scoring Sunday as freshman Haley Walter (Cincinnati, Ohio) tallied her fourth goal of the year just 5:21 into the match on a blast from the middle of the six-yard box. It was the first shot of the game for the 'Hawks.
"Everything that was missing on Friday showed up today," head coach Bobby Kramig said. "Our attitude and our commitment today was better and it showed in the box score and on the scoreboard."
Miami doubled its lead just over six minutes later when Kodiak (Naperville, Ill.) notched her first goal of the day. Using a long pass from midfield, sophomore Olivia Evans (Dublin, Ohio) found Kodiak just inside the 18-yard box, where the captain fired a shot that beat ISU goalkeeper Erin Mitchell.
Miami continued to apply pressure and made it 3-0 in the 25th minute on its second corner kick of the match as sophomore Kelsey Dinges (Smithton, Ill.) curled the ball off the corner kick into the far post for her fourth tally of the year. The RedHawks scored on three of their first four shots of the contest, including all three they put on target, while they finished with a 5-3 edge in shots over the first 45 minutes. The Sycamores did earn four corners in the final five minutes of the half after Miami took the first five of the match, but redshirt sophomore Allison Norenberg (Palatine, Ill.) denied ISU's only attempt on target to keep the RedHawks up three at the break.
Kodiak recorded her second goal of the match in the 66th minute, beating Mitchell on a breakaway to make it a 4-0 game. Walter picked up her team-leading fourth assist of the year on the play. Kodiak now has two multi-goal games this season and four in her career and has a team-high six goals in 2012.
"I felt like it was absolutely a leadership moment and I'm proud of the way she responded," Kramig said of his captain, after Kodiak had an off game Friday. "That's what great players do. Nobody's great all the time but great players have the ability to bounce back and shrug it off to move forward to the next game. She showed a lot of poise, leadership and class today the way she approached this game and the way she performed."
After making her second save of the afternoon, Norenberg was replaced by sophomore Danielle Wiseman (Canton, Ohio) with 20 minutes remaining in the game, giving Wiseman her first collegiate action. She made her first save just two minutes after entering, which was the only stop she needed to make the rest of the match as Wiseman closed out the 4-0 whitewash. Miami now has four shutouts in eight matches this season, already matching last year's season total, with Norenberg recording two of them herself while also combining for the other two clean sheets.
"We accomplished a lot in the non-conference portion of the season," Kramig said. "I think we have a very good idea of where each player fits in and what their role is on this team. I think all the players know their role, how we play and what they need to be doing out there on the field. In that regard, we've had a productive non-conference season. The trick now is to transfer that into MAC play, which is a whole other thing."
The RedHawks finished with a 15-10 shot advantage, including 7-3 in shots on goal. Miami also earned nine corner kicks to Indiana State's six during the 90 minutes. Mitchell ended with three saves in defeat for the Sycamores.
With non-conference play complete, the RedHawks begin Mid-American Conference action by hosting Akron Friday, Sept. 21 at 4 p.m. at Miami Soccer Field before welcoming Buffalo Sunday, Sept. 23 at 1 p.m.

Northern Illinois 4, S. Dakota 1
DeKALB, Ill. – Scoring and offensive chances were at a premium for Northern Illinois in Sunday afternoon’s matinee versus South Dakota as the Huskies combined for four goals, three in the first 14 minutes, and 20 shots to defeat the Coyotes, 4-1. Junior Cori Frankenberg scored her fourth game-winning goal of the season.

The Huskies closed non-conference play with a 4-3 record while USD fell to 1-6-2. The win marks the first time since 2008 (4-3-2) that NIU posted a winning record in non-conference matches. NIU opens Mid-American Conference play next Friday against Eastern Michigan and follows up with Western Michigan Sunday.
“I think the kids are getting comfortable with our system and they’re also making good decisions on and off the ball,” said Head Coach John Ross, “from there it really opens everything up.”
Less than two minutes into the match, the Huskies struck following a corner kick. Emily Nulty fielded the corner kick and played the ball back to Shelbi Johnson at the corner of the box. Johnson crossed to the head of Lauren Noonan who put the ball on frame and off the shins of goalkeeper Jen Shaefer. Defender Courtney Ksiazek pounced on the loose ball in the box and fired it into the back of the net to give NIU an early 1-0 lead.
The Huskies continued to pressure from the corner but were unable to score from the chances. In the 11th minute, Frankenberg received a ball from Noonan at the wing 23-yards from goal. Taking two touches to the top of the box, Frankenberg curled the ball on her third touch towards the near post and ricocheted the ball into the net for a 2-0 lead. 
Three minutes later, Johnson fired a shot that bounced off the top of the crossbar and fell into the lap of Allie McBride who scored the first goal of her NIU career and the Huskies third of the day. Northern Illinois totaled 11 shots in the first half to South Dakota’s three.
As the defense continued to thwart the South Dakota high-percentage chances, the Coyotes worked into the box and fired a cross towards net but an NIU defender’s hand got in the way to force a penalty shot. With silence gripping NIU Soccer Complex Erin Bello slotted the ball into the bottom left corner from the spot, the opposite direction of Amy Carr’s dive, to give South Dakota its lone goal in the 73rd minute, 3-1.
Northern Illinois continued to move the ball through the field and found itself in the goalkeeper’s box again. Frankenberg played a ball to McBride and dished it to freshman Kate Wirthlin who scored for her first NIU goal and the Huskies fourth and final goal. Northern Illinois had not scored four goals in a match since Sept. 18, 2009 versus Oakland.
In their previous two matches, the Huskies created many chances to score, combining for 26 shots versus Northwestern and Eastern Illinois, but were unable to finish the opportunities. NIU remedied that today with their four goals and Ross was pleased with the progress.
“It’s something we talked about at the beginning of the week during practice – the number of shots we have that actually go on goal and then the number of shots it takes to score a goal. We had those numbers today. With four goals on 20 shots and eight on goal, we scored on 25 percent of all shots and 50 percent of our shots on goal, which is pretty good.”
Due to the USD score Frankenberg’s goal was the game-winner, her fourth of the season. She entered the weekend ranked seventh in the NCAA in that category.
Northern Illinois will return to the pitch Friday afternoon in its MAC opener against Eastern Michigan. Kickoff is slated for 4 p.m.