Friday's MAC Women's Soccer Results

Updated 9/14/2012

Friday's Women's Soccer Scoreboard - 9/14
Buffalo 1, Robert Morris 0
Kent State 2, Marshall 1
 Ohio 1, Youngstown St. 0
IPFW 1, Miami (Ohio) 0 (OT)
Illinois St. 2, Bowling Green 1

Buffalo 1, Robert Morris 0

NIAGARA UNIVERSITY, NY - A goal from senior Taylor Thompson in the 60th minute would be all the Buffalo women's soccer team would need to break out of a brief losing streak and earn a 1-0 win over Robert Morris Friday afternoon. The game was held at Niagara University, as the Purple Eagles hosted its Fall Classic.
After taking 12 days to train and prepare since its last competition, a double-overtime loss to Niagara, the Bulls came out aggressive on offense and stifling on defense. The team attempted seven shots and put two on frame in the first 27 minutes of the game alone, and out shot the Colonials 14-6 in the match. On the back line, UB held its opponent to just one shot in the first half and yielded just three shots on goal for the game, all three of which were scooped up by goalie Ainsley Wheldon.
With the defense as stout as ever, the offense was able to work its way through another frustrating game. While the opportunities were abundant, the Colonials defense blocked four quality attempts and its goalie pushed away six other shots. But after losing three straight games by a score of 1-0, the Bulls were not to be denied.
In the 60th minute, Thompson gathered a blocked shot in the box and, with her back to the goal, flicked it into the lower right corner to give the team its first goal since the eighth minute of a 1-1 tie at St. Bonaventure on August 26. For the senior Thompson, it was her first goal of the season and the fifth of her career. Freshman Kassidy Kidd was another menace for the Colonials defense, taking four shots on the day and putting three on frame.
The test will only get tougher in the team's final game of the weekend tournament, as Sunday brings a matchup against St. Francis (PA). The two teams will square off for the first time since 1994. The Red Flash is 2-3-1 this season and are led by junior standout Tesa McKibben, who is coming off a two goal, three assist performance in a win over Bucknell on Sept. 9. First kick is scheduled for 11 am on Sunday.

Kent State 2, Marshall 1
KENT, Ohio – The Kent State soccer team (5-0-1) remained unbeaten on the season Friday afternoon after withstanding an offensive-minded Marshall squad to claim a 2-1 overtime victory at Zoeller Field.

The team's unbeaten mark through six contests is the best start in program history.
Sophomore Stephanie Haugh (Richmond Hill, Ontario) notched a goal and an assist in the win, with her score in the game's 107th minute lifting the Golden Flashes in overtime. Teammate and leading scorer Jaclyn Dutton (Bridgeport, Ohio) also scored in the contest for her seventh strike of the season.
Kent State's defense was not to be looked past, as the Golden Flashes held a hard-pressing Marshall attack in check. The Herd out-shot Kent State 16-12 in the contest, resulting in six saves for freshman goalkeeper Stephanie Senn (Grand Island, N.Y.).
The Golden Flashes got on the board in the 14th minute on Kent State's first shot on goal in the contest. Starting with Senn, the freshman goalkeeper punted the ball away to Haugh, who headed a flick onto the fleet feet of Dutton. Dutton found the back of the net on the right side for her seventh goal of the year.
Marshall (3-4-0) fired away in the first half with eight shots, including four on frame, but could not break through. It wasn't until the second half, however, that the Herd finally tallied. Kelly Culicerto gathered a loose ball to beat Senn to the far post in the game's 86th minute, ultimately forcing extra time.
The Herd again was on the attack, tallying three shots in the first overtime, but Kent State answered in the second overtime. Early in the 107th minute, Kent State mounted an attack that forced Marshall goalkeeper Lindsey Kerns to the edge of the box. A collision ensued with Kerns and a Marshall defender, and the ball snuck towards the goal. Haugh was there to knock the ball into an open goal mouth from 10 yards, resulting in the golden goal for the Golden Flashes.
Senn finished with six saves, while Marshall's Kerns registered five saves in the setback.
Kent State is back in action Sunday, Sept. 16 for a 1 p.m. contest against Duquesne at Zoeller Field. The game will not only mark Senior Day for the Golden Flashes, but the team's "Kick CF" fund raiser to raise Cystic Fibrosis awareness.
Ohio 1, Youngstown 0
Mattie Liston earned her fourth shutout of the season in the win, stopping both shots which came her way. Not showing up on the score sheet were the multiple dangerous crosses she ventured out to collect or send well away from the goal, significantly limiting YSU's attempts at the target.
Ohio's defense and goalkeeping has been stellar in the last five-and-one-half matches, only allowing one goal in the last 495 minutes. 
Murnane (Libertyville, Ill.) put the `Cats on the board almost immediately, scoring in just the ninth minute of the match. The junior received a nice pass from Cathryn Rogers (Etobicoke, Ontario) and collected the ball with her back to the goal at the top of the 18-yard box. Murnane took one touch to her left and fired a hard shot, beating the goalkeeper to the far post to make it 1-0.
The Bobcats continued to pepper the opposing defense throughout the rest of the first half, firing a total of 13 shots, five of which were on target. Ali Viola had a solid half in net for the Penguins, making four saves in the first 45 minutes.
Each side created a number of chances in the second half, as the balance of possession ebbed and flowed. Youngstown State (4-2) had the better of the pressure in the first few minutes of the frame, but the middle of the period belonged to the Bobcats. Murnane had a few more attempts in the final 45 minutes, hitting three total shots in the second half.
The Bobcats will next be in action on Friday, Sept. 21 when they open Mid-American Conference play at Bowling Green. Ohio and the Falcons will kick off at 7 p.m.
IPFW 1, Miami 0 (OT)
OXFORD, Ohio - Despite numerous chances, the Miami University women's soccer team could not find the back of the net and the RedHawks were ultimately edged in double overtime by IPFW, 1-0, Friday evening at Miami Soccer Field. The loss snaps a three-game winning streak for Miami (5-2-0) as the Mastodons (3-3-0) became the first team to shut out the RedHawks this year.
Miami controlled much of the match, outshooting IPFW, 22-10, and earning 12 corner kicks, but the 'Hawks were unable to capitalize on their opportunities. The Mastodons took over in the second overtime however, earning three corner kicks in the first few minutes before tallying the game-winner with just 2:31 remaining in the contest. Rachel Good carried the ball down the left flank and sent a cross into the box where Danielle Bishop was waiting unmarked and headed the ball just inside the far post to give IPFW the victory.
"It was not finishing, pure and simple. I thought we were too soft in the final third and in front of goal. I really think that's the bottom line for us in this game," head coach Bobby Kramig said. "We didn't adjust as well as I would've liked us to. They played a very withdrawn back line which for us as a speed team, that makes it a little difficult, but we have other things we can do and we were a bit slow to make those adjustments. At the end of the day though, 22 shots and 10 corners ought to be enough to get at least one goal. We have no one to blame but ourselves."
The RedHawks came out applying pressure and had several good looks early in the match. Junior Katy Dolesh (Chardon, Ohio) nearly scored just three minutes into the contest but IPFW goalkeeper Sam Pavlika made a diving save to her right to keep the ball out of the net. Dolesh had two more good scoring chances over the next five minutes, one coming off a corner kick that Pavlika again denied, while the 'Hawks earned four corner kicks in the first nine minutes of the game.
The tempo slowed a bit as the opening half went on but Miami did not let up, firing 10 shots in the first 45 minutes, including three on goal, while the Mastodons managed their only shot of the period in the 40th minute when Sydney Hoareau's blast bounced off the post. The RedHawks also earned 10 corner kicks to IPFW's one before halftime but multiple headers off the corners went high or wide.
With just over 25 minutes left in regulation, Miami may have had its best chance to score as sophomore Kelsey Dinges (Smithton, Ill.) crossed to an open Jess Kodiak (Naperville, Ill.) in front of goal but her header from less than 10 yards out sailed over the crossbar. Hoareau had another opportunity for the Mastodons just a few minutes later as she split the defense but redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Allison Norenberg (Palatine, Ill.) was quick off her line to force the shot just left of the goal.
Miami had two more near misses as the second stanza wound down, the first coming off the foot of junior Kayla Zakrzewski (London, Ont.), who fought off a defender on the left flank and beat Pavlika but her shot went inches right of the goal. Freshman Haley Walter (Cincinnati, Ohio) saw her shot miss wide right by inches just a few minutes later as regulation ended scoreless, despite a 20-7 shot advantage for the 'Hawks.
Both teams managed just one shot in the first extra session as Bishop sent in a laser that Norenberg made a diving stop on four minutes into overtime. Freshman Morgan Beck (Cincinnati, Ohio) then blistered a shot that went just above the crossbar minutes later, which was Miami's final opportunity, as the Mastodons seized momentum in the second overtime and ultimately the match with the game-winning goal in the 108th minute.
"They're a very well-organized team, especially defensively," Kramig said. "We were never able to find one of them one-on-one. They always had support and cover. That's the sign of a well-organized team and that's why they don't give much up."
Pavlika totaled six saves in victory for IPFW while Norenberg finished with four stops. Dolesh paced Miami with six shots, including two on goal, while Zakrzewski fired four shots for the RedHawks.
Miami looks to bounce back Sunday when the 'Hawks travel to Terre Haute, Ind. for a match-up with Indiana State. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m. ET.
Illinois State 2, Bowling Green 1
A spirited effort by the Bowling Green State University women's soccer team fell just short, as the Falcons dropped a 2-1 decision to visiting Illinois State University Friday evening (Sept. 14). The non-conference match was held at Cochrane Field.
Scroll to the bottom of the page for postgame interviews with Jenna Underwood & Kellie Evans
With the win, the Redbirds improve to 4-2-2 on the season.  The Falcons drop to 1-6-0 on the year.
Rachel Tejada, one of the nation's leading scorers, had a three-point night.  She assisted on the opening goal of the match, a 51st-minute shot by Kyla Cross, then scored her 10th goal of the year in the 69th minute.
Sophomore Sidney Huth cut the Falcons' deficit in half with 1:52 remaining in the match. The home side threatened in the waning seconds, but could not get a potential game-tying shot.
For the match, BGSU outshot the Redbirds by a 19-12 count.  ISU had a slim 7-6 advantage in shots on goal, with four of those seven shots coming from Tejada.
Freshman Jenna Underwood made her first collegiate start in goal, and had five saves in her complete-match effort.  For the visitors, Mara Kremenovic also had five stops in 90 minutes.
The Falcons close the non-conference portion of the schedule on Sunday (Sept. 16), taking on Loyola University Chicago at Cochrane Field.  That match begins at 1:00 p.m.