Friday's MAC Men's Soccer Results

Updated 9/14/2012

Fridays MAC Men's Soccer Results - 9/14
Akron 0, St. John's 0, 
Bowling Green 1, Cleveland St. 0
NJIT 3, Buffalo 2
UMKC 0, Florida Atlantic 0
Milwaukee 1, Northern Illinois  0
Western Michigan 1, Valparaiso 0

Akron 0, St. John's 0 
AKRON, Ohio – The No. 9 University of Akron men's soccer team played No. 10 St. John's to a scoreless draw in front of 3,034 fans Friday at FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field.

The match was televised nationally on FOX Soccer Channel and served as the second game of the annual University of Akron Tournament. No. 11 South Florida, which will be the Zips' next foe Sunday at 7:30 p.m., tied Butler 2-2 in the first contest of the day.
In a back-and-forth match, UA (3-1-2) had the better scoring chances but couldn't cash in as St. John's goalkeeper Rafael Diaz made a number of spectacular saves to turn away the Zips. With the draw, the Red Storm stayed unbeaten on the season with a record of 5-0-2.
Akron's Eric Stevenson and Reinaldo Brenes led all players with three shots apiece and each had potential game-winners stopped by Diaz, who finished with four saves on the night.
The first came in the 43rd minute when Steveson took a cross near the top of the box and sent in a liner that was pushed just over the cross bar by the junior netminder. Then, with less than four minutes left in the second half, Brenes broke away from the pack and tried to tuck a shot inside the far post. But Diaz dove to his left to smother the shot and send the game into overtime.
Scott Caldwell also had a great look in the first half when he turned and fired a rocket from 17 yards that was headed for the upper right 90. But Diaz dove to his right to punch it away.
Akron goalkeeper David Meves was also up to the task with three saves of his own. His first stop early in the second half was of the spectacular variety as well as he scooped up a low liner by St. John's Andres Vargas, who was leading a Red Storm counter attack. It was one of just three shots on goal allowed by the Zips on the night.
Despite Diaz's standout play, Akron's best chance may have come in the 85th minute when a great far-post cross by DeAndre Yedlin just missed the head of Brenes, who was crashing through box unmarked in front of an open net.
For the match, the Zips out-shot St. John's, 9-7 and earned six corner kicks to STJ's four. It was the third shutout of the season for Akron, which improved to 8-2-4 in its last 14 regular-season matches against NSCAA top-25 teams.
UA was forced to play without a pair of starters Friday; Aodhan Quinn, who was suspended for one match after being sent off in the Zips' last contest at Notre Dame, and Alfred Koroma, who missed the game due to illnes.
The Zips and Bulls will kick off at 7:30 p.m. ET, Sunday at FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field in the final match of The University of Akron Tournament. Butler and St. John's will have the earlier game that day with a Noon kick off.

Milwaukee 1, Northern Illinois 0
EVANSTON, Ill. -- The Northern Illinois men’s soccer team fell to UW Milwaukee, 1-0, on Friday afternoon in the first match of the Northwestern Lakeside Classic. The match doubled as the annual LeWang Cup contest between the two schools, with the Panthers taking home the cup for the second consecutive season. 

Stuart McBain’s 33rd minute goal was all that separated the two teams as Northern Illinois (0-3-2) created a number of chances but were just unable to find the back of the net.
“I think the guys know that wasn’t our best performance,” said NIU head coach Eric Luzzi. “Credit to Milwaukee, I think they were steady solid, they didn’t make very many mistakes. That being said, we still created a number of chances that we could have put away. 
The Huskies had the first good chance of the match in the 21st minute as junior midfielder Karim Darbaki (Crystal, Minn./Shattuck St. Mary’s) saw his effort turned away by the UW Milwaukee goalkeeper John Shakon. Junior forward James Stevenson (Falkirk, Scotland/St. Mungo’s) sprung Darbaki into a good position inside the penalty area; Darbaki’s shot tested the Panther goalkeeper who pushed it away for a corner. 
Milwaukee (4-2-0) broke the deadlock in the 33rd minute on a deflected shot. The Panthers earned a corner and, following a pair of passes, McBain collected the ball to the left of the six-yard box. McBain played the ball from a tight angle toward goal and his effort deflected off a Huskie defender past a helpless Jordan Godsey (Ocean Springs, Miss./Ocean Springs) to open the scoring.
Less than five minutes into the second half, freshman midfielder Parker Thornton (Buda, Texas/Hays) earned NIU a free kick just on the edge of the Milwaukee penalty area. Darbaki’s attempt off the free kick was deflected and the second ball fell to senior defender Rocco Taglia (Caledonia, Ill./Boylan) who fired wide of goal.
Godsey made his first save of the second half in the 55th minute when Laurie Bell caught him drifting to his right and took a shot back left. The Ocean Springs, Miss., native recovered to make the save a thwart the Panther chance.
After NIU earned a corner in the 63rd minute, junior midfielder Sean Totsch (Oswego, Ill./Oswego) rose highest to meet the header in the box directing his effort toward goal before it was cleared off the line by a Milwaukee defender. 
In the 69th minute, Thornton drew another foul just outside the Milwaukee penalty area. On the resulting free kick, Darbaki’s shot looked certain to find the net but, at full stretch, Shakon was able to get a hand to the ball and tip it over the crossbar. On the resulting corner kick, Totsch had a chance from a tight angle but his attempt went harmlessly across the box. 
Milwaukee responded with its best spell of pressure in the second half. Kyle Neumann tested Godsey in the 74th minute as Godsey did well to save and hold his attempt to double the Panther advantage. Milwaukee had a flurry of chances in the 78th minute as three attempts were blocked by the NIU defense before the final chance from Robbie Boyd was saved by Godsey. 
Godsey finished the match with five saves for the Huskies.
NIU continued to push forward in the final minutes, drawing another free kick just outside the box in the 85th minute. Darbaki once again stepped up to take the free kick, putting his attempt on frame but it was easily held by Shakon.
“Our team is just gripping a bit right now,” said Luzzi. “They know that we are a really good team but we aren’t getting the results that we know we deserve. As I just told the guys, we dug ourselves this hole and we will dig ourselves out. I am disappointed for them, for sure, but that is different than being disappointed in them.”
The Huskies return to action on Sunday, Sept. 16, when they conclude play in the Northwestern Lakeside Classic against Iona. Game time is scheduled for 11:30 a.m.
Bowling Green 1, Cleveland St 0
Junior Anthony Grant's goal in the 15th minute of the match proved to be the winner, as the Bowling Green State University men's soccer team posted a 1-0 victory on the road against Cleveland State University Friday night (Sept. 14).  The non-conference match was held at Krenzler Field.
With the win, the Falcons are now 2-2-2 on the season.  The Vikings drop to 3-3-0 on the year.
Grant pounced on the rebound of a shot by senior Zach Lemke, putting it past CSU goalkeeper Brad Stuver at the 14:46 mark.  The goal, Grant's first as a Falcon, proved to be the only scoring of the match.
Junior Michael Wiest made five saves in net to pick up his third shutout of the young season.
"Cleveland State offered some big challenges for us," said BGSU head coach Eric Nichols.  "They played a great brand of soccer and attacked from a lot of different angles.  In the first 10 or 15 minutes of the match, they were absolutely on top of us, and we had to sort some things out, which we did.
"There were moments after that in which they sustained some pressure, and we bent at times, but we didn't break.  And, we had our moments as well.  We had moments of pretty good possesion, looked good on the break, and had some opportunities to score a second goal.
"Things got a little hairy at the end, but I'm very pleased that we were able to close this game out and get the win.  I am very encouraged by our effort and by the result.  We were able to go into Cleveland State and beat a very good team at their place in their home opener. This is a very substantial win for us."
The Falcons now return home for the next three matches, beginning with a Tuesday (Sept. 18) contest against the University of Detroit Mercy.  That game begins at 7:00 p.m. at Cochrane Field.
NJIT 3, Buffalo 2 (OT)
NEWARK, NJ - A pair of first-half goals were not enough to snap the Buffalo men's soccer team's losing streak Friday evening, as the team lost on the road to NJIT in overtime, 3-2. After the Bulls had held a 2-1 lead late into the game, the Highlanders (4-4) scored the tying goal in the 83rd minute and netted the golden goal in the 93rd minute to drop the Bulls.
"Games like this are tough to take," head coach David Hesch said. "We did enough to win but we need to learn how to close out games."
After a disappointing result in its last game out, the Bulls (1-5-1) shook off the cobwebs quickly thanks to a Richard Craven goal in just the 12th minute of play. After a NJIT foul, the Bulls earned a direct kick from 20 yards out and Craven was able to convert with his third goal of the season.
The Highlanders tied the game up in the 39th minute on a shot that deflected off of two players before finding the back of the net. The Bulls were starting junior Jeremy Figler in goal for the first time since the 2010 season, and he played well under consistent pressure in the game, making five total saves.
The Bulls would quickly retake the lead in the 44th minute thanks to Marcus Hanson's first career goal. The freshman forward lefty took a pass from Craven and struck a cracking shot from 14 yards out and found paydirt to send UB into the locker room with a 2-1 lead.
In the second half, the Highlanders went hunting for another game-tying goal, and nearly found it in the 50th minute off a corner kick. A Jimmy Myers header hit the post and ricocheted away harmlessly, the first of nine shot in the second half that NJIT attempted. The home team would eventually find the tying goal on a free kick of its own in the 83rd minute. The kick itself was blocked, but in the ensuing scramble Franco Gamero cleaned up the deflection for a 2-2 tie. A shot from Maksym Kowal was put on frame in the 85th minute but was saved, marking the last quality scoring opportunity for UB.
Just under three minutes into the first overtime period, NJIT took a free kick and Gamero would strike again, banking a header off the kick into goal for the win.
Buffalo will cap a three-game road trip Sunday with a match at Stony Brook. First kick will be at 1 pm.
Florida Atlantic 0, UMKC 0 
BOCA RATON, FL - The men's soccer match between Florida Atlantic University and UMKC ended in a scoreless tie on Friday when lightning forced play to be stopped in the 80th minute.
The stoppage was the second of the match, the first came in the 69th minute when lightning in the area forced both teams indoors. The weather played havoc with the game all night and as a result neither team could mount sustained offensive momentum. FAU did outshoot UMKC 8-5, and had two shots on goal to just one for the Kangaroos.
FAU will return to the pitch on Sunday, September 23 when they travel to face West Virginia. The match starts at 2:30 p.m.  - The men's soccer match between Florida Atlantic University and UMKC ended in a scoreless tie on Friday when lightning forced play to be stopped in the 80th minute.
The stoppage was the second of the match, the first came in the 69th minute when lightning in the area forced both teams indoors. The weather played havoc with the game all night and as a result neither team could mount sustained offensive momentum. FAU did outshoot UMKC 8-5, and had two shots on goal to just one for the Kangaroos.
FAU will return to the pitch on Sunday, September 23 when they travel to face West Virginia. The match starts at 2:30 p.m. 

Western Michigan 1, Valparaiso 0 
VALPARAISO, Ind. -- Kyle Farris scored off the bench and goalkeeper Sean Lewis made five saves as the Western Michigan men's soccer team shutout Valparaiso, 1-0, on the road at Brown Field on Friday night.

Farris scored the game's lone goal at 32:34 in the first half. A long throw by Yllson Asani into the box fell to Erik Kelly and he played the ball to Farris on the far side, who netted his first goal of the season from 10 yards out. 
"It was a very tough battle and I'm happy we managed to come away with another important victory," said head coach Stu Riddle.
With a 1-0 lead the Broncos (6-1-0) held on to earn the shutout despite playing most of the second half with 10 men after a red card was issued to Jason Grant. Lewis made four of his game-high five saves in the second half. 
The Crusaders outshot WMU 16-5 including a 6-2 edge in shots on goal. Darren Jones led all Broncos with two shots, including one on net in the first half. 
The Broncos continue their three-game road swing at Wright State on Tuesday night at 7 p.m.