Sunday's MAC Women's Soccer Results

Updated 8/27/2012

Sunday's Women's Soccer Results - 8/26

Western Michigan 2, Coastal Carolina 1
Ball State 2, Xavier 1 
Miami 4, Milwaukee 2 
Eastern Michigan 1, Butler 0 
Ohio 2, Marshall 0 
Buffalo 1, St. Bonaventure 1
Texas 3, Toledo 0 
Bowling Green 2, IUPUI 1 '
Penn State 5, Central Michigan 0
William & Mary 4, Akron 0 
Courtesy of Home MAC Sports Information Departments 
Western Michigan 2, Coastal Carolina 1
CONWAY, S.C. -- The Western Michigan women’s soccer team picked up their second win on the weekend as they defeated Coastal Carolina, 2-1, at the Coastal Carolina Soccer Classic on Sunday afternoon.
Rachel Chaney and Aubrey Sudomier each tallied goals on the day and Michelle Watson made three saves on the night as the Broncos improved to 2-1-0.
“Today was not an easy day with it being our second game on the weekend and very hot out,” said head coach Nate Norman. “Coastal worked very hard and put a lot of pressure on us. I was proud of how our players reacted to their pressure and matched their work rate.”
The Broncos smothered CC in the first half, holding them to zero shots on goal. Sudomeier gave WMU the lead in the 16th minute with her first goal of the season. The sophomore forward took the ball on the left wing from Diana Dedvukaj and slotted it into the far corner of the net.
Chaney tallied her second goal of the weekend late in the 82nd minute to push the lead to 2-0. Lauren Fearday had a kick from 40 yards and put it in the box. Chaney rose above a Coastal Carolina defender and headed it into the top of the net.
“Aubrey and Rachel scored two fantastic goals today and it was a good win,” added Norman. “Anytime you win two games in a  weekend it is a successful weekend. The team played some good soccer in two difficult environments after a ton of travel. I am very proud of them and am looking to continue to improve in the upcoming week.”
Coastal Carolina added a goal with just over a minute remaining in the game to avoid the shutout.
WMU hosts Murray State for its regular season home-opener on Friday at 4 p.m. at the WMU Soccer Complex.
Ball State 2, Xavier 1
MUNCIE, Ind. -- Nicole Pembleton’s goal off a pass from Pavla Benyrova in the 108th minute Sunday afternoon lifted the Ball State soccer team to a 2-1 victory over Xavier in the final game of the Ball State Tournament at the Briner Sports Complex.
The Cardinals (2-1-0) finished perfect on the weekend, joining Western Kentucky as co-champions of the event. WKU defeated Northern Kentucky earlier in the day for its second win of the weekend, as well. Xavier (1-3-0) and NKU each lost both contests at the tournament.
Despite out-shooting Xavier by a 23-9 margin for the game Sunday, Ball State found itself trailing 1-0 late into regulation. Ashton Green’s goal for Xavier in the 59th minute was all the scoring either team managed until the Cardinals executed at the 78:42 mark.
Freshman forward Aubrey Hauenstein wound up with the ball in front of the goal and played it past Xavier keeper Katie Markesbery for her first collegiate goal and the equalizer. The play was initially set up when Benyrova served the ball into the box to fellow defender Skylar Chew, who headed it on to Hauenstein.
“Pavla is a talented player,” Ball State coach Craig Roberts said. “She’s very good as she comes forward. She just reads the game and knows how to deliver the ball into the box. I thought she was absolutely outstanding today on our attacking plays.”
Hauenstein, a Noblesville, Ind., product led all players in the game with six shots, earning all-tournament team honors along with teammates Shaniece Thorpe, Benyrova and Chew.
Thorpe was active throughout the game, using her speed to push the ball forward and get the Cardinals onto the attack. But after Hauenstein’s goal, the contest remained knotted through the remainder of regulation, the first overtime period and most of the second.
With less than two and a half minutes remaining and the game headed for a draw, Benyrova made a play for Ball State. Sarah Orisich fended off Xavier players to get the ball to Benyrova, who beat multiple defenders to get free on the right side of the box. From there, she sent a pass in front of the goal to a charging Pembleton, who placed it into the right corner of the net to end the game.
“In the overtime period, we switched tactics a little bit to give us more width,” Roberts said. “We changed our formation and allowed our outside midfielders to create. Because of that, in the last few minutes of the game we ended up being able to break them down. The player we were trying to get into the attack was Nikki Pembleton. By playing her wide, we were able to attack the middle and then come back inside, which Pavla did a great job with, and Nikki ended up finishing it.”
It was the first collegiate goal for Pembleton, a sophomore from Ontario, Canada, who played in 10 games last year and has come on strong early this year.
Senior keeper Aubrey Buehler played the entire 108 minutes in the net for Ball State and made three saves in earning the win. Markesbery finished with eight saves for Xavier, while Green led the Musketeer attack with three shots.
Ball State will be back in action at the Briner Sports Complex next weekend with two more home contests. The Cardinals welcome IUPUI at 4 p.m. Friday and IPFW at 1 p.m. Sunday.
Miami 4, Milwaukee 2 
MILWAUKEE – Freshman Haley Walter tallied the first goals of her young career Sunday in the driving rain, breaking a 2-2 deadlock and sparking the Miami University women’s soccer team to a 4-2 comeback victory over Milwaukee at UWM’s Engelmann Stadium. The match was the first ever meeting between the RedHawks (3-1-0) and the Panthers (1-2-1), who are receiving votes in the latest NSCAA Division I Poll and are ranked seventh in the Great Lakes Region.
Like it did Friday against Northwestern, Miami took the 1-0 lead early in the first half as senior captain Jess Kodiak (Naperville, Ill.) bent a corner kick directly into the net at the far post in the 13th minute for her fourth goal of the season. The RedHawks looked poised to take their advantage into the break, like Friday as well, but the Panthers found the equalizer with 27 seconds left in the period. Kelsey Holbert played a square ball to Amy Kauffung on the edge of the box, where she took a few dribbles and fired a shot that ricocheted off the far post and into the goal to level the contest at 1-1.
The Panthers held a 4-2 edge in shots over the first 45 minutes and earned three of the four corners awarded in the half. Milwaukee wasted little time grabbing the lead out of halftime, as just 33 seconds into the second stanza, Helen Steinhauser buried a free kick from 23 yards into the corner of the goal for a 2-1 Panther lead.
“It wasn’t a good first half, it was an okay first half. We weren’t taking the game to them the way we needed to,” said head coach Bobby Kramig. ”We were a little fortunate on the first goal off the corner but to get a one-goal lead and give it up 30 seconds before halftime, that was tough to swallow. Then we come out and do the same thing again to start the second half. But to rally from that, we played so hard. The last 40 minutes was some of the best soccer I’ve seen us play in a long time.”
Unlike Friday, when Miami fell to the Wildcats, 2-1, after giving up two second-half goals, the ‘Hawks responded and pulled even just four minutes later off the foot of sophomore Hailey Pleshakov (Brighton, Mich.). Walter (Cincinnati, Ohio) started the play, sending the ball into the box from the right flank where it bounced around and popped to Pleshakov, who cleaned up for her first collegiate goal.
“It’s all about the response. We’ve got to respond. We’re not set up to defend a lead. We’re set up to add to a lead. We have to keep attacking. To be able to attack with the confidence we need to, we have to be able to defend because that’s where it all starts,” a delighted Kramig said of the difference between Sunday’s game and the Northwestern match. “To do that up here, on FieldTurf, in the rain, against that team; I’m really impressed with the character we showed today.”
The RedHawks were just getting started however, as Walter recorded her first career goal and point in the 65th minute. Walter snuck behind the defense and fired a shot that was saved but led to a corner kick. On the ensuing corner by junior Kayla Zakrzewski (London, Ont.), Walter was able to gather the loose ball in the box and kick it into the goal to put Miami on top, 3-2. 
Zakrzewski and Walter hooked up again in the 82nd minute to secure the 4-2 win. Zakrzewski slotted a perfect though ball that split the defense and Walter ran onto the end of it for a breakaway, as she beat UWM goalkeeper Jamie Forbes with a low line drive to the keeper’s right.
“We’ve been working in practice on getting the through balls behind the defense,” Walter said of what was working for her. “That was on so we were talking and playing perfect through balls that gave us opportunities in front of goal.”
Miami controlled the second half, outshooting the Panthers, 13-7, over the final 45 minutes and finished with a 15-11 edge in shots. Redshirt sophomore Allison Norenberg (Palatine, Ill.) totaled three saves to earn her third win of the year while Forbes finished with four saves as the ‘Hawks put eight shots on target. Walter had four of the eight shots on goal for Miami and fired seven shot on the day.
Kramig also praised the play of his bench, which included Pleshakov notching her first goal, as well as freshmen Lauren Mathews (Hamilton, Ohio) tightening up the midfield defensively, Morgan Beck (Cincinnati, Ohio) providing Kodiak a breather and helping move the ball up field and Katie Mazurek (Dublin, Ohio) playing strong at center back.
“The win’s big for our team because we were coming off a disappointing loss to Northwestern,” Walter said. “We showed that, after we went up 1-0 and they caught us again, we can push on and not slow down coming out of the half, but rather pick it up and come out with the win.”
The RedHawks have a week off before looking to keep their momentum rolling when they head south to Nashville, Tenn. to take on Belmont on Sunday, Sept. 2 at 3 p.m. ET.
Eastern Michigan 1, Butler 0 
YPSILANTI, Mich. ( — Freshman Sarah Deakin's first-career goal in the 64th minute sent the Eastern Michigan University women's soccer team to a 1-0 victory over Butler University Sunday afternoon, Aug. 26, at Scicluna Field. The Green and White concluded its three-game homestand with a 1-1-1 mark and knocked off the Bulldogs (2-2-0) for the first time in program history.
Eastern Michigan had several scoring chances in the opening 20 minutes, but could not find the go-ahead tally. The scoreless tie was nearly broken by Butler at the beginning of the second half, but the Eagles were helped out by the crossbar on several occasions.
Momentum shifted in the home team's favor when Deakin maneuvered around goalkeeper Mackenzie Hopkins and put the Eagles in the lead. The EMU defense posted a strong showing and kept Butler off the scoreboard for the remainder of the match.
In the 11th minute, sophomore Angela Vultaggio caught a pass from junior Stephanie Clarke and beat a defender into the penalty area. Vultaggio's shot was labeled for the top-left corner of the goal, but Hopkins came up with a big save to keep the match scoreless.
Vultaggio had another prime scoring chance in the 20th minute when she broke in one-on-one with the goaltender. Hopkins came out to challenge Vultaggio, who stepped around her and faced the open goal. Her shot, however, was slightly off target and sailed wide on the short side.
Butler outshot EMU in the first half, 10-5, but the EMU defense kept the Bulldogs to largely outside shots which were corralled easily by redshirt freshman Jenna O'Dell. The Bulldogs fired one final shot on goal before the halftime horn sounded, but failed to score.
The second half began with a flurry of activity in front of the Eagles' goal. An initial shot by Sophia Maccagnone tipped off the hands of O'Dell and ricocheted off the crossbar back in front of the goal mouth, where Elise Kotsakis was waiting. With a wide open goal, Kotsakis' shot hit square off the crossbar and again came back down into play. The rebound was played by Randi DeLong, whose shot was blocked away in front of the goal.
The Bulldogs controlled much of the pace through the first portion of the second half until Deakin's goal in the 64th minute. EMU had the ball inside the attacking zone on the right side. Freshman Ellie Tillar forwarded a pass to Vultaggio who fed Deakin inside the penalty area. Hopkins came out of the goal to challenge Deakin, but the Arva, Ontario native scooted by and tapped the ball into the yawning cage.
Luck was again on the Eagles' side in the 83rd minute as a hard line drive off the foot of Caroline Kowal beat O'Dell but hit the left goalpost and skipped harmlessly away. EMU held Butler off the scoreboard for the remaining seven minutes and celebrated its first victory of the young season.
The Eagles will head to San Antonio, Texas for their first road trip of the year, Aug. 31, at UTSA. Game time is slated for 7 p.m. CST.
William & Mary 4, Akron 0 
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Three first half goals by the No. 37 William & Mary women's soccer team propelled the Tribe to a 4-0 win over Akron Sunday afternoon at Regal Soccer Stadium at the First Tennessee Lady Vol Classic. 
The Zips fall to 2-1-0 with the loss, while William & Mary, a 2011 NCAA Tournament participant, moves to 1-2-0. The Tribe is ranked eighth in this week's NSCAA Mid-Atlantic Region poll and No. 37 nationally in the latest Top Drawer Soccer Tournament 64 rankings.
"It was an unfortunate result," said Akron interim head coach Vernon Croft. "William & Mary is certainly a team that is deserving of their ranking. They have been an NCAA Tournament team for the past few years and they showed why today. We can't expect to give up goals that quickly and come back.  With that said, this was a great learning experience for us. As we told the team, it's better that this happened early in the season and that we learn from it. I think our mentality will stay the same – that we'll continue to grow and mature." 
William & Mary came out of the gate with chances in the first few minutes as Dani Rutter forced a save from UA freshman goalkeeper Klaire Adee in the fourth minute and Mallory Schaffer hit the crossbar in the sixth.
Akron's first shot came at 12:33 when junior midfielder Kelly DeNiro sent one wide. The Tribe scored the game's opener at 14:39 when Cortlyn Bristol headed home a cross from Kiersten Harpe.
At 20:27, Bristol found Schaffer, who made the W&M lead 2-0 when she scored on a header of her own. In the 30th minute, the Zips caught a tough break when Bristol's shot deflected off an Akron defender and went it to the net to make the score 3-0 heading into halftime.
In the second half, redshirt freshman Lexa Green fired Akron's first shot on goal in the 69th minute and forced a save from William & Mary goalkeeper Carla Manger. Senior midfielder Katie Wise also placed a shot on frame in the 79th.
W&M would round out the scoring at 82:22 when Audrey Barry headed in a corner kick from Erin Liberatore. Senior forward Ashley Hughes and junior defender Amber Kern also had attempts on goal for the Zips in the final seven minutes, while Kern also hit the bar on another effort.
Akron forced William & Mary into five saves in the second half on their seven shots.
In goal, Adee made two saves while playing the first 33 minutes. Redshirt sophomore Alex Luevano-Harden was credited with three saves over the final 57 minutes.
The Zips will be back in action next Sunday, Sept. 2 at Big Ten foe Michigan State in East Lansing, Mich. Kickoff is set for 12 noon.
Ohio 2, Marshall 0 
ATHENS, Ohio - Ohio Soccer picked up its first win of the season during its home opener on Sunday, defeating the visiting Marshall Thundering Herd by a final score of 2-0. The win was Ohio's third straight victory and tenth overall in the series against Marshall, which began during the 1998 season and has included 12 total games.
Senior midfielder Cathryn Rogers (Etobicoke, Ontario) scored a brace in Sunday's match, finding the back of the net in the eighth and 76th minutes. This was the first multi-goal game of Rogers's career and was the second time she'd scored a game-winning goal against the Thundering Herd. She now has scored nine goals in her career as a Bobcat.
Sunday's match marked the 38th time in program history where a Bobcat student-athlete had scored two goals in one match. 
Ohio (1-3) looked strong in the first half, controlling much of the possession and generating four scoring opportunities. The `Cats fought through a physical Marshall side in the opening 45 minutes, suffering seven fouls while committing only four of their own.
The Bobcats found the back of the net almost immediately, scoring in just the eighth minute of the match. Veronica Rock (North Royalton, Ohio) swung in a nice corner kick into the area, finding Annie Beard right near the penalty spot. Beard (Mason, Ohio) took a touch and fired the ball towards Rogers at the near post. Rogers collected the ball and struck it past goalkeeper Lindsey Kerns, giving the Bobcats a 1-0 lead right off the bat.
Mattie Liston (Lakewood, Ohio) made a few nice saves in the first 45 minutes, most notably in the seventh and 38th minutes. Liston caught a Kelly Culicerto attempt in the seventh minute before coolly collecting a shot by Alyssa Cathey in the 38th minute to preserve the one-goal advantage. The junior goalkeeper was tested once more in the second half, saving Chelsey Maiden's 59th-minute attempt en route to earning the 11th shutout of her career. Liston's 11 career shutouts rank her third in program history, eight behind Michelle Meglaughlin's 19 achieved from 2001-04.
The match slowed down noticeably in the second half, with each program battling the 90-degree heat and hot sun. Ohio was able to keep Marshall (1-2) at bay throughout the first 18 minutes of the half, during which the Thundering Herd recorded two shots.
Rogers put the game away in the 76th minute with her free-kick goal. The senior and teammate Erin Feeney (Milton, Mass.) lined up near the free kick, keeping Marshall guessing about who was going to take the attempt. Following a step-over from Feeney, Rogers ran up and blasted the ball nearly over the wall. Heading towards goal originally, it took a slight deflection off a shoulder of a Marshall defender and just beat the diving Lindsey Kerns to the inside corner of the net.
The Bobcats will next be in action on Friday, Aug. 31 at Morehead State. Ohio will kick off against MSU at 7 p.m.
Buffalo 1, St. Bonaventure 1
ST. BONAVENTURE, NY - The Buffalo women's soccer team kicked off its challenging road schedule of three games in the next six days on a positive note, drawing even with Big Four rival St. Bonaventure (0-3-1) Sunday afternoon. The Bulls (1-1-1) were led by sophomore Katie Roberts, who scored her second goal of the season.
For the second straight game, the Bulls received an early cushion thanks to Roberts. After scoring in the fourth minutes against Canisius on Thursday, the sophomore forward scored in the eighth minute Sunday for her second goal of the season. After taking a pass from Taylor Thompson, Roberts squared up from the top of the box and though it was initially deflected by Bonaventure goalie Christina Sarokon, the ball skidded over the line to open the scoring.
The Bonnies tied the game back up in the second half due to an errant pass by the Buffalo defense, tying the game at 1-1 in the 62nd minute. The Bulls had quality chances to score again, with Katie Kerr and Thompson forcing saves in the 48th minute and Kerr nearly scoring in the 80th minute before a Bona defenseman cleared away a promising chance to score. Stephanie Velez hit a shot off the post in the final minute of regulation, leading to overtime.
In the first 10-minute overtime period, the Bulls held the Bonnies to no shots while taking two of its own with no luck. In the final extra period, goalie Ainsley Wheldon was put to the test with five shots by the Bonnies. She made a critical save, then had a shot carom off the post, but the Bonnies were also unable to score.
For the game, Wheldon made six saves. Kerr led the team with four shots, while Thompson and Roberts each attempted three.
The Bulls will have a quick turnaround, traveling now to Youngstown State for a Tuesday evening game against the Penguins. After two road wins, the Penguins will welcome in the Bulls for its home opener.
Texas 3, Toledo 0 
AUSTIN, TX - Toledo put forth a gallant effort against Texas on Sunday but came up on the short end of a 3-0 decision at the Mike A. Myers Stadium & Soccer Field. With the loss, the Rockets fall to 1-3-0 on the season.
The Longhorns (2-2-0) scored two goals within a span of three minutes in the second half to break open a close match and secure the home triumph.
"We made great strides in improving our tactical understanding of some different situations," Toledo Head Coach Brad Evans said. "We physically wore down in the second half and that is understandable, but not acceptable. We will continue to work at developing our play particularly in the penalty box, in the attack, and likewise in the penalty box defensively."
UT's high-octane offense was limited to four shots, and the two-time reigning Mid-American Conference regular-season champions were blanked for the second time this season. Senior tri-captain Kristen Mattei, sophomore Molly Cantwell, sophomore Sarah Seig and freshman Geri Siudzinski were credited with UT's shots in a matchup featuring a pair of 2011 NCAA Championship participants. 
Texas opened the scoring when Kelsey Shimmick forced Rocket sophomore goalkeeper Kelsey Borowitz to make a save, but Borowitz could not stop Kristin Cummins' follow-up shot from outside the 18-yard box at 39:09. It was Cummins' third score of the season.
The Longhorns then put the match out of reach midway through the second half with goals from Lindsey Meyer and Allison Smith. Smith took a corner kick and Meyer headed it into the back of the net for her first collegiate tally at 68:31.
Less than three minutes later, Smith registered the final tally with a left-footed shot past Rocket freshman netminder Sam Tiongson. Hannah Higgins was credited with the assist.
Toledo had one final shot in the 85th minute off the foot of Siudzinski to break up the shutout, but the attempt sailed wide left.
For a second-consecutive match, Borowitz and Tiongson split time between the posts. Borowitz finished with one save in the first half, while Tiongson recorded a pair of stops in the final 45 minutes.
"We started off really strong and showed what we are capable of," Mattei said. "We need to do a little better within the boxes and getting opportunities to score. Overall, we can take a lot from this game and continue to improve." 
Texas finished the non-league contest with 15 shots, included a contest-best three off the foot of Schimmick and Cummins. Ava Vogel went the distance in goal and made two saves to her first shutout of the season. 
The Rockets return to action on Friday, Aug. 31 when they host Loyola (IL) at 5:30 p.m. at Scott Park.
Penn State 5, Central Michigan 0
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. - Despite out-performing No. 6 Penn State in almost every category on the stat sheet, the Central Michigan women's soccer team fell to the Nittany Lions, 5-0, Sunday afternoon.
The Chippewas outshot Penn State 21-11, held an 8-6 shots on goal advantage, and took more than twice as many corner kicks, 7-3, but the Nittany Lions were able to convert several impressive chances in the first half to jump out to a 4-0 lead.
“I was pleased in certain ways that we had 21 shots and that we had roughly the same amount of shots on target as such a talented team,” head coach Neil Stafford said. “The difference today was individual technical brilliance. They have some fantastic players at Penn State who made some impressive plays today, and they're going to be so tough.”
The Chippewas held the Nittany Lions' offense in check for a large portion of the game, but a 12 minute stretch in the middle of the first half ultimately put the game out of reach.
The CMU defense worked hard to keep a clean slate early in the match, including a series during which Penn State made a breakaway run down the left side that was broken up by a dispossessing slide tackle and clear from senior defender Bailey Brandon.
Moments later, Penn State advanced into the box on another breakaway, but senior goalkeeper Stefanie Turner rushed out to cover the ball and avert the threat.
Junior forward Jennifer Gassman nearly put the Chippewas on the board first at the 15 minute mark, when her first shot was deflected by the goalkeeper. She retrieved the rebound and fired off another shot, which was blocked at the goal line by a PSU defender.
The game remained scoreless until PSU's Mallory Weber headed in a cross from the right corner from Christine Nairn for a 1-0 lead at the 23 minute mark.
Nairn followed with two goals of her own in the following four minutes. In the 24th minute Nairn fired a nearly indefensible shot from 30 yards out into the upper right corner of the goal, and she struck again in the 27th minute on a shot from the left side of the field from 18 yards out that again found the upper right corner of the goal, giving the Nittany Lions a 3-0 lead.
PSU's Erin Kehoe capped the first-half scoring with a goal in the 35th minute, assisted by Kindra Kohne.
After halftime, the Nittany Lions added one final goal from 30 yards out by Jenna Kalwa in the 57th minute.
The CMU offense tried its hardest to claw back into the game following the goal, firing off 12 shots throughout the remainder of the match, three of which were on goal and four of which were blocked.
Junior midfielder Kaely Schlosser took five shots during that strech, and a game-high six in total. Senior defender Katie Slaughter took three shots, and Gassman took two, both on goal.
The Chippewas' next match will be at Dayton on Friday, Aug. 31 at 7:30 p.m.
Bowling Green 2, IUPUI 1 
Bowling Green, OH -- Juniors Tracy Togba and Madeline Wideman scored second-half goals to lift the Bowling Green State University women's soccer team to a 2-1 victory over visiting IUPUI Sunday afternoon (Aug. 26).  The non-conference match was held at Cochrane Field on the BGSU campus.
With the win, the Falcons improve to 1-2-0 on the young season. Sunday's match marked the first career head-coaching victory for BGSU's Kellie Evans.  The Jaguars drop to 0-4-0 on the year.
The Falcons had 20 shot attempts to the Jaguars' eight on the day, and BGSU enjoyed a 12-6 advantage in shots on goal.  The Brown and Orange had 11 first-half shots to the visitors' two, but the teams went to the intermission locked in a scoreless draw.  Early in the second half, however, Togba got the home team on the board.
With less than five minutes gone in the period, sophomore Kaylee Draper took a throw-in deep in the IUPUI end of the field.  Draper's throw found Togba on the right side of the pitch, near the scoreboard corner of the field.
Facing away from goal, Togba took a few dribbles toward the center of the field, then fired a turnaround shot from distance.  IUPUI goalkeeper Giselle Guzman had no chance to stop the shot, which sailed over her head and into the upper-left corner of the net.  With 49:24 elapsed, the Falcons had the lead for good.
Less than seven minutes later, Wideman and the Falcons doubled that lead.  BGSU cleared the ball out of the defensive end as redshirt sophomore Kylie Briem played a long ball foward.  The pass found freshman Demy Whitaker, who found the onrushing Wideman with a nifty backheel pass.  Wideman took several touches, eluding a few would-be defenders, and uncorked a shot as she entered the 18-yard box.  Her shot found the left side of the net at the 56:03 mark, giving the hosts a 2-0 lead.
Wideman nearly made it two goals in under four minutes, firing a hard shot from distance, but Guzman was able to punch the shot over the crossbar.
The visitors, however, answered with several shots at the other end.  With 27 minutes left, IUPUI's Taylor Heidorn blasted a shot that BGSU 'keeper Becca Ison deflected over the bar with a leaping effort.  Several moments later, though, the Jags got on the scoreboard.
IUPUI cut the deficit in half when Ashley Doreski headed home a left-side crossing ball from Kelli Parks.  The Falcons' two-goal lead was suddenly a single goal with over 24 minutes left in the second period.
But, the hosts would not let the Jaguars get the equalizer.  Ison saved a shot from Doreski with under eight minutes to play, and the fifth-year senior gathered in a long offering from Parks in the final minute of the match.  On the day, Ison made a total of five saves.
For her part, Guzman made 10 stops at the other end of the field.  Both Wideman and Togba put three shots on goal to pace the BG attack.
Neither 'keeper was tested in the first third of the match, as most of the shots on target were either softly hit or were fired directly at the goalies.  Nearly 30 minutes into the contest, though, Falcon senior Sarah VonderBrink hit a turnaround shot that force Guzman to make a diving stop near the right post.
Under 12 minutes remained until halftime when Draper took a free kick just over midfield.  Her diagonal ball caromed off the head of an IUPUI defender and went in the direction of sophomore Sidney Huth.  Huth, stationed on the left side of the six-yard box, hit a volley, but Guzman was in perfect position to make the save.
Only two minutes later, sophomore Ashley Garr put Whitaker through with a nice pass down the right side of the field.  Whitaker cut the ball back to get past a defender as she headed into the penalty area.  Moving along six-yard line extended, the Falcon freshman slid a ball into the box where junior Kaitlyn Tobin ran onto it.  At the very last second, however, an IUPUI defender got a boot on Tobin's shot.
Late in the half, BG strung several passes together, with Whitaker and Draper again involved. Draper's pass found redshirt soph Amanda Nelson, who hit Huth with a through ball on the left side.
Huth cut the ball back and played a crossing ball to the far post. Togba got her head on the ball, but could not get a great deal of power behind her shot, and Guzman was able to grab it.  Togba's shot was the last by either team before halftime.
After taking the last shot of the first half, Togba took the first shot attempt of the second half, and the latter shot gave her team the lead.  That was followed in relatively quick succession by Wideman's goal and Doreski's answer.
While holding off the Jags as they pressed for the potential tying goal, the Falcons nearly got an insurance goal in the late stages. VonderBrink ripped a volley that whizzed just wide of the frame with under five minutes on the clock.
The Falcons now hit the road for the first time this season, heading to Minneapolis, Minn., for a pair of matches.  BGSU will face the University of Minnesota on Thursday evening (Aug. 30) before meeting Western Kentucky University in a neutral-site match on Saturday (Sept. 1).