Friday's MAC Men's Soccer Results

Updated 8/25/2012

Friday's Men's Soccer Results - 8/24

Akron 4, Florida Gulf Coast 0 
Buffalo 1, Canisius 1
Creighton 3, Northern Illinois 1
Western Michigan 4, Marygrove College 0 
St. Joseph's 2, Hartwick 1
UCF 2, Florida Atlantic 1 
Courtesy of Home MAC Sports Information Departments 
Akron 4, Florida Gulf Coast 0
AKRON, Ohio – The No. 10 University of Akron men's soccer team kicked off the season in grand fashion with a 4-0 shutout victory over Florida Gulf Coast in front of 4,440 fans Friday night at FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field.
After taking a 1-0 lead in the first half, the Zips (1-0-0) scored three goals after the break to put the game away in front of the fourth-largest crowd in school history.
Sophomore Eric Stevenson led the way with a goal and an assist as UA took command of the game early and never let up. For the match, the Zips out-shot the Eagles, 14-6, including an 11-0 advantage on frame.
Also finding the net for the Zips, who improved to 46-1-5 in its last 52 matches at home, were Thomas Schmitt (57'), Aodhan Quinn (63') and Scott Caldwell (74').
After a relatively slow start by both teams, Akron quickly found its stride and nearly took the lead 10 minutes in when Bryan Gallego was left with an open net following a scramble in front of the goal. Unfortunately for the Zips, however, an Eagles defender swooped in to clear Gallego's close-ranged blast.
Akron was not deterred and its persistence paid off when a through ball from Wil Trapp sprung Stevenson, who launched a low liner from 20 yards that found the left corner of the net in the 20th minute.
UA nearly made it 2-0 in the 30th minute as another frantic moment in front of the net resulted in two more point-blank shots. But Chad Barson's attempt was stopped by FGCU goalkeeper Nathan Ingham, who finished with four saves, and Trapp's follow-up deflected off a defender's back and out of play.
The all-important second goal came early in the second half for Akron. Stevenson was the catalyst at the 56:30 mark as the junior from Columbus, Ohio, knifed his way through a couple of defenders and left the ball for Schmitt.
Schmitt, who had the ball on the right flank, dribbled the ball through the legs of his Eagles' counterpart and shot across the goal into the left corner to give UA some breathing room.
Two more combination plays resulted in the final two goals of the evening. The first came at the 62:45 mark when Quinn finished off a DeAndre Yedlin cross with a header from close range.
Not to be outdone, Caldwell hooked up with SMU transfer Robbie Derschang at the 73:13 mark on a particularly beautiful goal. After beating his man down the left sideline, Derschang whipped the ball into the box where Caldwell finished with a one-timer.
In addition to his assist, Trapp led a balanced Akron attack with three shots, including one on frame. Ten Zips recorded at least one shot and five reserves saw action in the season-opening victory.
The Zips will next head to Omaha, Neb., next weekend for the Ameritas Classic where they will face preseason No. 3 Creighton on Fri., Aug. 31, and Southern Illinois Edwardsville (SIUE) on Sunday, Sept. 2.
Creighton 3, Northern Illinois 1 
OMAHA, Neb. -- Junior forward James Stevenson (Falkirk, Scotland/St. Mungo’s) gave the Northern Illinois men’s soccer team a lead at third-ranked Creighton, but the Huskies couldn’t hold off a Bluejay comeback as they fell 3-1 on Friday night at Morrison Stadium.
“What I just told the guys was that we need to be disappointed in the result, but that’s really about it,” said NIU head coach Eric Luzzi. “The first half, they definitely had us on our heels. I thought in the second half, even though the score line says 3-1, the game was extremely even. I thought that we opened them up a couple of times, we found some space to play and once we did that our guys got a little bit of confidence and started to do some of the things we are capable of doing.”
Playing in front of a raucous season-opening crowd of 2,689, Northern Illinois (0-1-0) took a lead behind Stevenson’s 67th minute goal. Senior goalkeeper Jordan Godsey (Ocean Springs, Miss./Ocean Springs) was excellent between the posts for the Huskies as he recorded eight saves in the contest. 
“Special players make special players and Jordan (Godsey) had a handful of them,” said Luzzi. “And the goal that James (Stevenson) scored was absolutely first class. The reality is that we need our special players to continue to do special things. That’s how teams win games and, ultimately, win championships.”
In front of the large home crowd, Creighton (1-0-0) came out firing early. Timo Pitter had the first good chance for the Bluejays in the fourth minute with a shot from outside the 18-yard box that was parried back into play by Godsey. Sean Kim would eventually have a shot from the rebound for Creighton, but his effort went well high. 
Pitter had another chance in the 16th minute; Godsey again saved but couldn’t hold it. Kim once again had the follow-up effort but fired well high to keep the match scoreless. 
In the 34th minute, Jose Ribas had the most dangerous chance of the half as his effort was palmed away for a corner by a diving Godsey. At the intermission, Creighton held a 12-1 advantage in shots. 
The Huskies saw much more of the ball to begin the second half. Sophomore midfielder Jabari Danzy (Park Forest, Ill./Marian Catholic) came on as a substitute at the half and had a header from the far post into a dangerous position in the 56th minute but the Bluejay goalkeeper Jeff Gal sniffed out the opportunity. 
NIU won a throw-in to the left of the Creighton goal in the 67th minute. Senior defender Rocco Taglia’s (Caledonia, Ill./Boylan) long throw came to senior midfielder Mike Mascitti (Downers Grove, Ill./Downers Grove South) who flicked the ball on to Stevenson. In one-touch, Stevenson clipped a ball over the Bluejay goalkeeper from 10 yards out, giving the Huskies a 1-0 advantage. 
The Huskie lead would last just 90 seconds however before Kim equalized for the Bluejays. Kim took a pass from Eric Miller and touched the ball past Godsey to even the match, 1-1. 
Creighton took a lead in the 80th minute when Carlos McCrary found the back of the net. McCrary took a pass from Pitter inside the Huskie box and made no mistake, slotting the ball past Godsey to give the home side a 2-1 advantage. 
With NIU pressing forward for an equalizer, Creighton took advantage of an odd-man situation at the back. After Godsey made a spectacular save on an initial shot, the ball pinged around the box before falling to Kim who fired a shot into an open goal in the 87th minute, giving the Bluejays a 3-1 lead. 
In the final minute, Creighton was awarded a penalty kick. Eric DeJulio stepped forward to take the spot kick and was denied by Godsey, diving to his right. The save capped an outstanding night for the senior goalkeeper from Ocean Springs, Miss.
Northern Illinois returns to action next Friday, Aug. 31, when the Huskies travel to Green Bay, Wis., to face UW Green Bay. Kickoff against the Phoenix is scheduled for 6 p.m.
Western Michigan 4, Marygrove 0
KALAMAZOO, Mich.- Western Michigan cruised to a 4-0 victory over Marygrove Friday to open the season. Junior Oliver Mayer notched five points in the match, scoring two goals and assisting a third.
"It was nice to start the 2012 campaign off with a victory in front of a terrific crowd," said WMU head coach Stu Riddle. "At times we played some very good soccer and scored four excellent goals but we also saw areas that we will need to improve on."
Ryan Lemasters scored the first goal of the day 14 minutes into the game. Mayer found Lemasters on the run, who buried the ball low left, freezing the goalie who had no attempt to save the shot.
Mayer made it 2-0 before the half, sliding in a ball from the middle of the box on an assist from Lemasters.
Jason Grant pushed the score to 3-0 in the 48th minute, striking a ball far post off a pass from Marco Lobo.
Mayer came up with his second goal of the match in the 59th minute, making for a 4-0 final. Freshman Sean Hazen made a run out of the backfield and the ball was played forward. Mayer found the ball at the edge of the 18 and drilled a rocket to the far post.
"I was very happy to see so many players see action on the field and a wide range of scores," Riddle said.
Junior Sean Lewis and sophomore transfer Adriano Deabreu split time in goal, Lewis getting the start and Deabreu coming on in the second half. Both keepers denied break-away goals.
Western Michigan fired 24 shots, putting eight on goal. Marygrove was held to four shots.
The Broncos (1-0) travel to Bradley Sunday then return to Kalamazoo to host IPFW Wednesday, Aug. 29 at 4 p.mpass from Pitter inside the Huskie box and made no mistake, slotting the ball past Godsey to give the home side a 2-1 advantage. 
Buffalo 1, Canisius 1 
BUFFALO, NY - Playing in front of a crowd of over 1500, the Buffalo men's soccer team opened up its season Friday evening at Demske Sports Complex with a heated rivalry match against Canisius. After allowing an early goal to the Griffs, the Bulls evened the score on a Richard Craven goal in the 31st minute equalized it. The team's played to a 1-1 tie after a pair of overtime periods.
Just under three and a half minutes into the match, Canisius (0-0-1) got on the board with a header from six yards out off a cross that beat senior UB goalie Jonathan Viscosi. He would recover well, though, making five more saves and commanding the box on each of the Griff's nine corner kicks.
Buffalo would find its game-tying goal later on in the half, as Steve Mounnarat was able to beat his man to the inside from the left wing and put a cracking shot on goal. It was turned away, but the rebound wound up right in the middle of the box and was quickly scooped up by Craven. The junior tucked his shot into the bottom left corner of the net to square the score at 1-1.
In the second half, the Bulls came out fast but were ultimately unlucky on offense for the first ten minutes. Canisius then took control, keeping the ball on the attacking half of the field for much of the final 45 of regulation. Despite the possession advantage, the Bulls managed to gain a 7-6 shot advantage and kept the Griffins from any major threats on goal.
In the two overtime periods, UB asserted itself and found numerous chances, but nothing would come to pass. In the final overtime period, the Bulls earned three corner kicks and forced a save off a header, but squandered its chances and settled for the draw.
Next up for the team will be another Big Four match, with the Bulls opening a four-game home stand Tuesday against St. Bonaventure. First kick is scheduled for 7 pm.
St. Joseph's 2, Hartwick 1
PHILADELPHIA, PA – Jimmy Reilly's volley proved to be the difference in the first 10-minute sudden-victory overtime period on Friday night in a 2-1 St. Joseph's victory over Hartwick's men's soccer team at Finnesey Field in Philadelphia, PA. The game was the season opener for both teams.
St. Joe's was the early aggressor as it pressured the Hawks with chances in the opening three minutes of action. Alex Critzos came close to opening the scoring just 36 seconds into the game when he broke free and had a clear opportunity from just inside the 18-yard box but put his shot wide. Just over a minute later, Tim Lazorko fired a shot on target from the top of the box into the arms of Hartwick goalie Mateo Munarriz (Manizares, Colombia).
The hosts broke through on their next opportunity at the 3:49 mark. A flicked-on header following a St. Joe's direct kick produced a high 50-50 ball. Munarriz got his hands on the ball but he couldn't come down with it and after the ball bounced around in the box, Tommy Brooks put the rebound in for a 1-0 edge.
The lead nearly grew to 2-0 two minutes later. Ryan McFadden rang his shot from the left side of goal off the crossbar and the game remained with a one-goal margin.
Hartwick settled in and proceeded to hold a 3-0 edge in shots over the next six minutes. The Hawks were rewarded for their offensive pressure as senior captain Will Broomfield (Brighton, England) tallied for the Hawks in the 22nd minute.
Later in the half, junior Matthew Robertson (Banchory, Scotland) nearly got the Hawks' second off a cross but St. Joe's keeper, Andrew Ottavi, came away with the ball.
St. Joseph's, which held a 9-7 edge in shots in the opening 45 minutes, had a late chance with roughly six minutes to go in the stanza. The hosts shot from 10 yards away but were turned away by Munarriz.
Scoring chances were limited in the second half. Pat McGlynn put a header in close just wide in the 58th minute and Hartwick cleared out a scramble in front of its own goal four minutes later.
Reilly's overtime tally pulled St. Joe's even in the all-time series with a 1-1 mark. Hartwick won 1-0 last season on Elmore Field.
Hartwick next plays in Peoria, IL next weekend at the Bradley University Tournament. The Hawks play the host Braves on Friday, August 31 at 8 p.m.


UCF 2, Florida Atlantic 1 
BOCA RATON, FL - The Florida Atlantic men's soccer team lost its season opener to in-state rival UCF 2-1.
The two teams spent much of the first half trading possession in the midfield, with only occasional scoring threats. UCF (1-0) got the better of the opportunities and outshot the Owls 6-1 in the first half. Lightning forced play to stop for approximately 45 minutes in the first half, with less than 14 minutes remaining in the period. The two teams went to the half locked in a scoreless tie.
Deshorn Brown broke the deadlock in the 52nd minute with a goal into the left side net to put the Knights ahead 1-0. Roberto Rivera tied the game early in the 59th minute, beating UCF keeper Sebastian Evers to the right corner. The score was the first of Rivera's career.
Brown struck again in the 60th minute, rifling a shot over the head of Jeremy Crumpton to regain the lead on what proved to be the game winning goal.
FAU (0-1) will host Bryant on Sunday. Due to concerns over Tropical Storm Isaac, game time has been moved up to 10 a.m.