The Collegiate Volleyball Update (CVU.com) is pleased to announce that Western Michigan sophomore Lena Oliver has been selected as the CVU.com National Player of the Week for Aug. 26 through Aug. 28.
A 5-5 libero from Battle Creek, Mich., Oliver started the year defensively right where she left off last season.
In the Broncos' season opener at the Marriott Cavalier Classic, Oliver picked up 30 digs as WMU downed host Virginia in four.
The Broncos then rolled to sweeps in the next two matches, with Oliver scooping 24 digs against Western Carolina and another 21 versus USC Upstate.
For the tournament, the sophomore totaled 75 digs in 10 sets (7.5 digs per set average) on her way to earning Most Valuable Player honors.
Oliver, a CVU.com Rising Star in 2010, is the first Western Michigan player to earn CVU.com National Player of the Week accolades.
• Rachael Adams, Texas, Senior, Middle blocker, 6-2
• Kayla Fitterer, Alabama, Alabama, Junior, Outside hitter, 6-0
• Andrea Hannasch, San Diego State, Junior, Middle blocker, 6-2
• Carly Jenson, Iowa State, Senior, Outside hitter, 5-11
• Alex Johnson, Miami, Sophomore, Right side, 6-0
• Molly Kreklow, Missouri, Sophomore, Setter, 6-0
• Annie Luhrsen, Illinois, Junior, 5-10, Setter
• Lena Oliver, Western Michigan, Sophomore, Libero, 5-5
• Samantha Selsky, Dayton, Junior, Setter, 5-10
• Juliette Thevenin, South Carolina, Sophomore, Outside hitter, 6-2
• Mary Vaccaro, Army, Freshman, Setter, 5-10