Friday?s MAC Women?s Soccer Results

Updated 9/26/2009

Friday’s MAC Women’s Soccer Results


Stories courtesy of MAC Sports Information Departments


Central Michigan 4, Ohio 0

ATHENS, Ohio - Ohio soccer put up 13 shots on the day, but its two-match winning streak came to an end as the Mid-American Conference's top team, Central Michigan, spoiled the Bobcats' MAC home opener with a 4-0 win Friday at Chessa Field.


The `Cats picked up 13 shots on the day, including five on goal, and had several close chances of scoring, while CMU finished with 15 shots and seven on goal. It was the Chippewas, however, that made the most of their opportunities en route to picking up the win.


Sophomore Kelsey Pichel (Rochester Hills, Mich.) tallied four shots, including one on goal, on the game to lead the Green and White. Amy Lower (West Chester, Ohio) finished with two shots, while Erin Schwenke (Solon, Ohio), Rachael Goulding (Toronto, Ontario) and Laura Dieter (Wheaton, Ill.) also tallied shots on goal.


"Central (Michigan) was able to find seams in our defense, and they finished their chances very well. That was the difference today," Ohio coach Stacy Strauss said. "For the most part, it was not a 4-0 game in terms of the shots on goal and the possession. They just created very dangerous opportunities and finished them well.


Ohio (3-5-0, 0-1 MAC) came out strong the first two minutes and controlled the possession, but a strong CMU defense kept the `Cats at bay. Molly Gerst got the Chippewas (6-3-0, 1-0 MAC) on the board early in the third minute when she got behind the Ohio defense and managed to sneak a shot from 15 yards out past the Bobcat keeper. Goulding came within an eyelash of tying the score early in the eighth minute when she found herself in front of the Chippewas goal on a cross. Her header was knocked away by a defender at the very last possible second though.


Pichel came back and nearly tied the score herself early in the 24th minute, but her shot from 16 yards out just barely missed the left corner of the goal. Several seconds later, CMU took advantage of another scoring opportunity when Gerst put just enough touch on a shot to sneak it past the outstretched hands of the Ohio keeper and into the bottom left corner of the goal. The Chippewas' Amanda Waugh scored the third goal of the contest nearly midway into the 33 rd minute when she crossed a shot from the left side of the box just past the keeper and into the right corner of the net.


The `Cats would not roll over, however, as they came out fighting in the second half. CMU's defense remained strong and managed to turn Ohio away. Pichel had another chance to get on the board, but the Chippewas keeper made a nice play on a line drive shot to keep the score where it was. The action picked up from there as both sides continued to fight and play got physical. Both defenses managed to keep the other's offense in check, however. Gerst managed to get her third goal of the contest in the 62nd minute when teammate Laura Twidle's shot rebounded back and she tapped it in. The score would hold up the rest of the way as CMU took the 4-0 win.


Ohio will look to bounce back Sunday afternoon when it welcomes Eastern Michigan to Chessa Field. First touch is set for 1 p.m.


Northern Illinois 1, Bowling Green 1 (2 ot)

DEKALB, Ill. - The Northern Illinois women's soccer team battled Bowling Green (4-5-1) to a 1-1 tie in the Huskies Mid-American Conference opener Friday at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex. Annie Wyer led the Huskies (4-4-1) with one goal in the contest.


In the 27th minute of play, the NIU offense battled Falcon defenders in front of the goal after receiving the ball off a cornerkick from Lisa Maier (Orland Park, IL/Sandburg). A block from a defender gave Wyer control of the ball, who then netted the ball to record the first goal of the contest. Wyer's goal marked her first of the season.


The Falcons quickly answered back when Alyssa Zuccaro netted the ball just two minutes later. After receiving the ball from Megan Amann, Zuccaro was able to break away from Huskie defenders to find the net in the 29th minute of play, bringing the game to a 1-1 tie.


After outshooting the Falcons, 4-1, and recording three cornerkicks to their two in the first half, NIU and Bowling Green remained fairly even for the remainder of the contest. The Huskies tallied ten shots to Bowling Green's six, with five cornerkicks to the Falcons four in the contest.


Goalkeeper Lindsey Curnock (Batavia, Ill./Batavia) preserved the tie for the Huskies, recording four saves to bring her career total to 244.


"Welcome to MAC play," head women's soccer coach Carrie Barker said. "Every game is going to be this tight and this physical. To get a point against a team this good, I'll take it. Now, we move forward and focus on the next game."


NIU will continue conference play at home Sunday, when they host Toledo in a 1 p.m. match- up.


Toledo 2, Western Michigan 1 (2 ot)

KALAMAZOO -- The Western Michigan women’s soccer team fell to Toledo, 2-1, in double-overtime to open Mid-American Conference play on Friday evening at the WMU Soccer Complex.


Two minutes in to the second overtime period Toledo was awarded a corner kick in the WMU zone. Ana Reynolds lobbed the ball in to the box but it was short. A WMU defender tried to clear the ball but headed it deeper in to the box where Erin Flynn headed it in to the net for her second goal of the game and the game winner.


Toledo struck first after a hand-ball was called on WMU. Two-time MAC Player of the Year Molly Cornwell crossed the ball into the box. WMU goalkeeper Julia Francy leaped in to the air to try to grab the ball but it was too high for her. The ball sailed past Francy and directly to Flynn, and she redirected the ball in to the goal to give the Rockets a 1-0 lead.


Western Michigan tied the game in the 67th minute off a corner kick. Caitlin Henderson put the ball in the box and it reached the ground. The two teams fought for possession but WMU’s Megan Matula go there first and buried it in to the net for her first collegiate goal. Henderson picked up her team-leading second assist on the season.


Matula became the fifth Bronco this season to net her first career goal.


The Broncos were able to put pressure on Toledo early with Stephanie Skowneski, Anina Cicerone and Kelsey Carmichael providing a consistent attack and getting balls in to the box early.


Midway through the first period Skowneski was chasing after a through-ball but was not able to get much of a touch on it and it was smothered by the Toledo goalkeeper. In the second half Carmichael headed a cross from Henderson on net but it just glanced off the cross bar and out of play.


Western Michigan hosts Bowling Green on Sunday afternoon at 2:30 p.m. at the WMU Soccer Complex.


Kent State 4, Ball State 0

KENT, Ohio - The Kent State women's soccer team (5-3-0, 1-0-0 MAC) got off the conference slate on the right foot Friday, as the Golden Flashes defeated Ball State 4-0 in the Mid-American Conference opener for both teams.

"This was a great effort tonight," said head coach Rob Marinaro. "We pride ourselves in our toughness. We took the lead, and we maintained a high work rate to close out the full game."


Sophomore Vanessa Salerno (Etobicoke, Ontario) led Kent State with her head, connecting on a pair of services to tally a pair of second half goals. Catharine Marosszeky (Aurora, Ontario) scored her third goal of the season on a free kick in the first half, while an own goal by Ball State rounded out the scoring.


Kent State got on the board in the 21st minute when Gabi Ingram (Indianapolis, Ind.) gathered a pass on the left side and sent the ball down the line to Annie Messer (Dayton, Ohio). Messer sent in a cross from the corner that just missed finding teammate Kellyn Flanagan (Medina, Ohio), but a Ball State defender miss-hit the ball, sending it into the Ball State net.


The Golden Flashes took a 2-0 lead into the halftime break when Marosszeky again connected on a free kick for KSU. The senior defender blasted a shot from 20 yards that got through the Ball State defense for her 16th career score.


In the second half, Kent State just missed getting on the board in the first 120 seconds of the period. Jenni Stapleton (New Albany, Ohio) spun niftily past her defender on the left side and crossed in a ball for L.A. Thoma (Alliance, Ohio), but Thoma just missed connecting on a sliding effort.


The Flashes then got on the board in the 65th minute with Salerno's first strike. Great combo play by Kent State got the ball on the right side at the feet of Flanagan, who perfectly placed a ball on Salerno's head. Salerno then nodded a shot into the near upper corner, besting Ball State's Nicole Wood to an opening.


Kent State had five corner kicks in the first 14 minutes of the game, including four in the first three minutes, but it wasn't until the second half the Flashes connected on the set piece. Hannah Newhouse (Strongsville, Ohio) served in a corner kick in the 69th minute and found Salerno for the game's final score. Kent State finished with an 8-6 advantage in corner kicks.


Keeping the shutout was Kelly Sherwood (Strongsville, Ohio), who made six saves in the contest for her third shutout in five games. The sophomore came up with a big diving save on Ball State's Patti Hoeg in the 19th minute from 20 yards away.


For the game, Kent State out-shot Ball State 20-11, with a 13-6 lead in shots on goal.


Ball State goalkeepers Wood and Amy Cleeter combined for nine saves.


Kent State wraps up its three-game home stand Sunday at 1 p.m. when the Flashes host Miami at the KSU Soccer Field.


Buffalo 1, Miami 1 (2 ot)

BUFFALO, NY ? The University at Buffalo women’s soccer team opened the MAC portion of their season against Miami (OH) this evening at UB Stadium. After 110 minutes of play, the game ended with a 1-1 tie, as Shannon Fisher scored her first collegiate goal off a long pass from Lindsey Bailey and a tip from fellow freshman Stephanie Velez at the 55:49 mark.


The RedHawks scored their goal early in the match with Allison Berkey putting one past UB goalkeeper Amy Coron in the 11th minute of play. Despite outshooting Miami, 8-6 in the first half, the Bulls could not get on the board.


Buffalo came back from the break with intensity. With just over 10 minutes gone from the half, Bailey set up a pass from 18 yards out, with Velez getting a piece of it and Fisher ultimately knocking in the tying goal with a swift kick from close range to beat the Miami keeper. Buffalo looked as though they had the winning goal with 25 minutes remaining, but were called offsides as the ball went to the back of the net. At the end of regulation, Buffalo had the advantage in shots 17-12.


Miami had the only shot in the first overtime, and outshot the Bulls 5-2 in the second overtime, which came down to strong defense on the side of the Bulls. Jennifer Mihok, Angela Nicholas, and Kristen Bailey all played 110 minutes of solid defense. Coron came up big in goal for the Bulls, finishing the game with eight saves.


“The team just played really well for 90 minutes. We lost it a little bit in the overtime, but that’s the best soccer that we’ve played all season. If we play that way every game we’re going to win a lot of soccer games,” said head coach Michael Thomas.


The Bulls edged out the RedHawks in shots, 19-18, at the end of the game with Lindsey Bailey having a team-high four shots.


The Bulls will be back in action on Sunday against Ball State. The match is set for noon at UB Stadium.


Akron 1,  Eastern Michigan 1 (2 ot)

AKRON, Ohio - The University of Akron women's soccer team played Eastern Michigan to a 1-1 double-overtime tie on Friday at Lee Jackson Field in the Mid-American Conference opener for both schools.


The contest was scoreless until 81:34, when Ashley Rodrigues put Eastern Michigan (4-2-3, 0-0-1) on the board. She controlled a cross from Chelsea Detrick in the center of the box and shot from less than 10 yards out. Rodrigues led the Eagles with five shots.


Akron (2-3-2, 0-0-1) evened things up at 82:20 during a corner kick opportunity. Jordan Clark got the ball past EMU goalkeeper Monique Budani after Rachel Phillip's serve from the corner bounced around the box. Phillip earned her second assist of the season and Clark her second goal of the year. Clark had a game-high four shots on goal and also missed a penalty kick in the 77th minute, with her attempt striking the left post.


"It was nice to see us play with a sense of urgency when we went down a goal," Akron head coach Chris Pfau said. "But we need to show a little bit more of that throughout the game. We had several good chances early on and we need to be able to convert those opportunities."


Britni Back led the UA offensive attack with eights shots and had several good looks at the goal during the first 45 minutes of play. She finished the night with three shots on goal.


Akron goalkeeper Jeny Wolbert played all 110 minutes, making four saves in the process. Budani also defended the EMU net for the duration and had nine saves. Each ?keeper made a critical stop in the second overtime period.


The Zips outshot the Eagles 18-16, including an 11-7 margin after halftime. UA also had 10 shots on goal compared to EMU's five. The Eagles held an 11-2 edge in corner kicks.


"In order for us to turn the corner in the MAC, these are the games we need to find a way to win," Pfau said. "To compete in the league, you must defend your home field and can't be willing to settle for a tie."


Akron plays host to Central Michigan (6-3-0, 1-0-0 MAC) on Sunday at 1 p.m. ET. CMU rides a four-match win streak, following a 4-0 victory at Ohio on Friday afternoon. Sunday will be YMCA Day, with YMCA members being eligible to purchase a discounted $2 ticket (must show valid membership card).