Story courtesy of University at Buffalo athletic media relations
LOS ANGELES, CA - The University at Buffalo women’s tennis team fought tough all afternoon in their first NCAA Tournament appearance, but the host UCLA Bruins were too tough, as the seventh-ranked team in the nation won the first round match, 4-0, Friday afternoon at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. The loss ends UB’s season at 12-9, but it was one UB’s finest seasons as the team clinched its first ever Mid-American Conference Title.
In doubles play, UCLA took the matches at first and third doubles, but the Bulls did not go down quietly. At first doubles, the team of Denise Harijanto (Jakarta, Indonesia) and Diana Popescu (Alexandria, Romania/AL. I. Cuza) played the number one ranked doubles team in the nation, falling 8-2. The Bulls lost at third doubles, 8-1, and were down 6-3 at second doubles when play was stopped.
n singles action, the Bulls had their hands full as all six UCLA players in the lineup were nationally ranked. At first singles, senior Andreea Novaceanu (Bucharest, Romania/Emil Racovita) played the eighth-ranked player in the nation and Pac-10 singles champion, Riza Zalameda, and won the first set 6-4. The Bruins had four players ranked in the top 55 and won singles matches at fifth, second and fourth singles. Play at first, third and sixth singles were suspended mid play. The Bulls lose just two players from this year’s team as Novaceanu and Tina Jacob (Singapore/Raffles JC) played in their final contest in a UB uniform.
(7) UCLA def. Buffalo, 4-0
NCAA First Round at Los Angeles
Los Angeles Tennis Center
1. (1) Lin/Zalameda (UCLA) def. Harijanto/Popescu (UB) 8-2
2. Lumpkin/Stephanie Wetmore (UCLA) led Stan/Toia (UB) 6-3
3. McGoodwin/Schnack (UCLA) def. Jacob/Novaceanu (UB) 8-1
UCLA Wins Doubles Point -- Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. Andreea Novaceanu (UB) led (8) Riza Zalameda (UCLA) 6-4, 0-4 Susp.
2. (30) Tracy Lin (UCLA) def. Denise Harijanto (UB) 6-0, 6-1
3. (42) Yasmin Schnack (UCLA) led Diana Popescu (UB) 6-3, 3-1 Susp.
4. (54) Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. Smaranda Stan (UB) 6-0, 6-1*
5. (105) Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA) def. Diana Toia (UB) 6-0, 6-0
6. (124) Alex McGoodwin (UCLA) led Tina Jacob (UB) 6-1, 5-1 Susp.
* Denotes Clinching Match -- Order of Finish: 5, 2, 4