YPSILANTI, Mich. - The No. 8 Ball State women's tennis team (8-15) defeated No. 9 Northern Illinois (2-17) by a score of 4-0 Thursday afternoon at the Chippewa Club in the first round of the Mid-American Conference Tournament Championships.
In doubles competition the BSU twosome of Kylee Johnson and Sarah Hebble took down NIU's Emily Rogers and Haley Dekkinga 8-3 at the No. 2 spot. The duo of Kristel Sanders and Lauren Pickrel secured the early 1-0 lead after their 8-6 defeat over Kelly Phillips and llse Pacheco at No. 3 doubles.
Johnson's posted a two set win over Dekkinga to give Ball State the 2-0 edge over the Huskies at the No. 5 position. Pickrel captured the 6-1, 6-1 victory over Pacheco at No. 6 and teammate Sarah Hebble won in two sets to earning the final point for BSU.
The Ball State University women's tennis team continues MAC tourney action when it plays the No. 1 seed Miami University Friday at 10 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
No. 8 Ball State vs No. 9 Northern Illinois
Apr 28, 2011 at Ypsilanti, Mich.
(Chippewa Club - Indoors)
No. 8 Ball State 4, No. 9 Northern Illinois 0
1. Kelly Phillips (NIU) vs. Georgina Thomson (BSU) 6-3, 0-3, unfinished
2. Kristel Sanders (BSU) vs. Martina Schnapp (NIU) 6-1, 6-2,
3. Sarah Hebble (BSU) def. Emily Rogers (NIU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Sara McLauglin (NIU) vs. Dena Boulieris (BSU) 6-1, 5-2, unfinished
5. Kylee Johnson (BSU) def. Haley Dekkinga (NIU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Lauren Pickrel (BSU) def. Ilse Pacheco (NIU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Sara McLauglin/Kathryn Friedlund (NIU) def. Georgina Thomson/Dena Boulieris (BSU) 8-4
2. Kylee Johnson/Sarah Hebble (BSU) def. Emily Rogers/Haley Dekkinga (NIU) 8-3
3. Kristel Sanders/Lauren Pickrel (BSU) def. Kelly Phillips/Ilse Pacheco (NIU) 8-6
No. 8 Ball State 8-15
No. 9 Northern Illinois 2-17
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,6,3,2)
MAC Women's Tennis Championship Match #1
Ball State advances to play No. 1 Miami Friday, April 29, at 10 a.m.
Official: Lynda Henshaw