- The 2011 MAC Men's Golf Championship got off to a stellar start for the two-time defending champion Kent State Golden Flashes as they hold both the team and individual leads through 36 holes of play at the TPC at River's Bend. Posting three of the top five individual scores after two rounds, including a seven-under from Mackenzie Hughes, KSU extended a five-shot lead after one round to a 25-shot cushion by the completion of play on Friday evening.
Hughes had an up-and-down first round with four birdies and four bogeys through fourteen holes, but closed with consecutive birdies on 17 and 18 to put him in a second-place tie after 18 holes. Opening with pars on the first three holes of his second round, he then birdied the short, par-4 4th
hole and eagled the par-5 No. 6 to move him to five-under where he stayed until closing with two more birdies in the final three holes to open up a three-shot lead on the field.
Second-place Ball State was paced by the play of senior Eric Steger who rode three straight birdies at the end of his first round to lead the field with a 69, then carded another solid round of 71 to sit in a tie for second as an individual going into tomorrow's third round.
Saturday's third round is set to begin with tee times beginning at 8 a.m. Live results will continue to be available through the Men's Golf Tournament Central
1. Kent State 292-275=567 (-9)
2. Ball State 297-295=592 (+16)
3. Akron 297-298=595 (+19)
4. Eastern Michigan 297-301=598 (+22)
5. Northern Illinois 303-304=607 (+31)
t-6. Miami 310-303=613 (+37)
t-6. Toledo 317-296=613 (+37)
t-8. Bowling Green 315-310=625 (+49)
t-8. Ohio 313-312=625 (+49)Top Five Individuals
1. Mackenzie Hughes, Kent State 70-67=137 (-7)
t-2. Brett Cairns, Kent State 70-70=140 (-4)
t-2. Eric Steger, Ball State 69-71=140 (-4)
t-4. John Hahn, Kent State 76-68=144 (E)
t-4. Cameron Simmons, Akron 71-73=144 (E)