MAINEVILLE, Ohio -
On a bright and breezy Saturday at the 2011 MAC Men's Golf Championship, Kent State firmly held on to its lead with a 292 despite the quicker playing conditions around the course. Junior Mackenzie Hughes of the Golden Flashes extended his lead to four strokes entering the final round, shooting two-under on his back nine to recover from some early bogeys while teammate John Hahn moved into second place as he tied for the low score on the day with a 70, matched only by Parker Hewit of Bowling Green.
Led by Hewit's strong round, it was the Bowling Green who made the biggest move on Saturday. The Falcons began the day in a tie for last place but a team-low score of 291 moved them into sixth place, just three shots out of fifth. Drew Preston chipped in a one-under 71 for Bowling Green.
Ball State maintained its second place standing for the second day in a row, shooting a 296 as a team to lead third place Eastern Michigan by eight strokes. The Eagles received one-under rounds from Nick Carbary and Brian Churchill-Smith to slide ahead of Akron. Northern Illinois is in fifth, three shots up on the Falcons while Toledo, Miami and Ohio round out the team standings.
Sunday's final round will begin at 8 a.m. with teams set to go off both the 1st
tees. Live results will be available by accessing the Tournament Central
1. Kent State 292-275-292=859 (-5)
2. Ball State 297-295-296=888 (+24)
3. Eastern Michigan 297-300-299=896 (+32)
4. Akron 297-298-305=900 (+36)
5. Northern Illinois 303-304-306=913 (+49)
6. Bowling Green 315-310-291=916 (+52)
7. Toledo 317-296-306=919 (+55)
8. Miami 310-303-309=922 (+58)
9. Ohio 313-312-313=938 (+74)Top Five Individuals
1. Mackenzie Hughes, Kent State 70-67-73=210 (-6)
2. John Hahn, Kent State 76-68-70=214 (-2)
3. Eric Steger, Ball State 69-71-75=215 (-1)
4. Brett Cairns, Kent State 70-70-76=216 (E)
5. Nick Carbary, Eastern Michigan 71-75-71=217 (+1)