No. 1 Miami 4, No. 4 Bowling Green 0
Tennis Match Results
No. 4 Bowling Green vs No. 1 Miami
Apr 30, 2011 at Ypsilanti, Mich.
(Ypsilanti High School)
1. Anastasia Dracheva (MU) def. Christine Chiricosta (BGSU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Stephanie Danesis (MU) vs. Maddy Eccleston (BGSU) 3-6, 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
3. Megan Martzolf (MU) def. Nikki Chiricosta (BGSU) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
4. Nimisha Mohan (MU) def. Mary Hill (BGSU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Riekie Honiball (MU) vs. Emily Reuland (BGSU) 2-6, 6-3, 1-3, unfinished
6. Cara Wald (MU) vs. Jessica Easdale (BGSU) 1-6, 7-5, 1-4, unfinished
1. Stephanie Danesis/Megan Martzolf (MU) def. Christine Chiricosta/Maddy Eccleston (BGSU) 8-6
2. Jade Johnson/Emily Reuland (BGSU) def. Riekie Honiball/Jessica Parr (MU) 8-2
3. Anastasia Dracheva/Cara Wald (MU) def. Nikki Chiricosta/Mary Hill (BGSU) 9-8 (10-8)
No. 4 Bowling Green 15-7
No. 1 Miami 18-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,4,3)
MAC Women's Tennis Championship Match #7
Winner advances to Sunday's Championship Match at Noon
Official: Lynda Henshaw
No. 2 Akron 4, No. 3 Western Michigan 0
Akron Tennis Advances to First-Ever MAC Championship Match
YPSILANTI, Mich. - The second-seeded University of Akron tennis team will play for the program's first-ever Mid-American Conference championship on Sunday, following a 4-0 win over third-seeded Western Michigan in Saturday's semifinal round of the league tournament at Ypsilanti High School. The event is being hosted by Eastern Michigan.
Akron (19-4), which was playing in the semifinal for the second-consecutive season, will face top-seeded Miami (19-5) in the title match tomorrow at noon ET. The RedHawks defeated fourth-seeded Bowling Green (15-8) in today's other semifinal contest. Western Michigan (14-12) had its four-match win streak snapped.
The Zips, who have claimed 11 of their last 12 matches, earned the doubles point with wins at the first and second flight. Zara Harutyunyan and Angelina Jogasuria were victorious 8-3 at No. 1 over April Kerr and Nina Sujashvili, and Angelika Jogasuria and Prang Pantusart topped Maria Nivia and Jill Pastunink at No. 2, 8-4. When the early point was decided, the score at No. 3 was 6-all between UA's Anya Baronayte and Jeremie Benjamin and WMU's Amanda Moccia and Maggie Remynse.
UA cruised in singles, with Angelika Jogasuria clinching match point for the second-straight day. She defeated Sujashvili 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2. Harutyunyan finished her singles contest first, taking down Remynse 6-0, 6-1 at No. 1, and Angelina Jogasuria won at No. 4 over Pastunink, 6-1, 6-0.
At the time match point was secured, the Zips led at the other three singles flights as well. Pantusart at No. 3, 6-0, 5-5 versus Nivia, Baronayte at No. 5, 6-2, 5-2 against Moccia, and Natalia Kuvakina at No. 6, 6-4, 3-4 over Rachel Denny.
Akron avenged its 4-3 loss to Western Michigan in last season's MAC tournament semifinal. The Zips and Broncos were the No. 2 and 3 seeds, respectively, last season as well.
Miami handed Akron its only league loss this season, a 4-3 decision in Oxford on April 22. The RedHawks have been regular-season and tournament champions the last two years.
The tournament winner will earn the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Championship.
(2) Akron 4, (3) Western Michigan 0
1. Zara Harutyunyan/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. April Kerr/Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 8-3
2. Angelika Jogasuria/Prang Pantusart (Akron) def. Maria Nivia/Jill Pastunink (WMU) 8-4
3. Anya Baronayte/Jeremie Benjamin (Akron) vs. Amanda Moccia/Maggie Remynse (WMU) 6-6, unfinished
1. Zara Harutyunyan (Akron) def. Maggie Remynse (WMU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) def. Nini Sujashvili (WMU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Prang Pantusart (Akron) vs. Maria Nivia (WMU) 6-0, 5-5, unfinished
4. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Jill Pastunink (WMU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Anya Baronayte (Akron) vs. Amanda Moccia (WMU) 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
6. Natalia Kuvakina (Akron) vs. Rachel Denny (WMU) 6-4, 3-4, unfinished
Order of finish:
Doubles - 1, 2
Singles - 1, 4, 2
Akron - 19-4
Western Michigan - 14-12